Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 1059094 times)

0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1755
  • Country: au
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1425 on: February 02, 2026, 06:56:39 am »
Aliexpress has more than its share of audio woo-woo, a friend of mine pointed me to this one, some metal-case NE5532 replacement with predictable reviews like "It greatly improved the audio of my Douk audio A5! Recommended, better soundstage, clearer highs, and organic sound".  However while I was looking up the OPA2604 that it claims to also replace I found this, a discrete-parts replacement for said device, just one of many all over eBay.  I'm not convinced that trying to reproduce a carefully-designed laser-trimmed circuit with a bunch of random components on a PCB is going to result in an improvement in performance.
 
The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Buriedcode

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1948
  • Country: gb
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1426 on: February 03, 2026, 08:35:42 pm »
However while I was looking up the OPA2604 that it claims to also replace I found this, a discrete-parts replacement for said device, just one of many all over eBay.  I'm not convinced that trying to reproduce a carefully-designed laser-trimmed circuit with a bunch of random components on a PCB is going to result in an improvement in performance.

Thats pretty standard for audiophile stuff - relies on people assuming that hand-made/DIY/custom devices must be better than any "mass produced crap".  As well as the idea that the more something costs, the "better" it must be. Its a common marketing technique - play to peoples biases.
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline Electrodynamic

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 742
  • Country: ca
  • Power Engineer
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1427 on: February 04, 2026, 02:26:12 pm »
Aliexpress has more than its share of audio woo-woo, a friend of mine pointed me to this one, some metal-case NE5532 replacement with predictable reviews like "It greatly improved the audio of my Douk audio A5! Recommended, better soundstage, clearer highs, and organic sound".  However while I was looking up the OPA2604 that it claims to also replace I found this, a discrete-parts replacement for said device, just one of many all over eBay.  I'm not convinced that trying to reproduce a carefully-designed laser-trimmed circuit with a bunch of random components on a PCB is going to result in an improvement in performance.

It's debatable, the problem is heat buildup causing distortion. Which may be why the aliexpress NE5532 uses a graphene paste and an aluminum covering. The second high end op amp takes this concept further using single components spread out over a larger area which would be superior in heat dissipation.

The average user usually running low power outputs may never notice but if the power output is pushing the limits the operating temperature does matter. For example, I once made an amateur mistake trying to blow out a computer power supply with canned air while it was running. The very cold air lowered the resistance in the conductors/components dramatically causing a power surge which wiped out the power supply and the motherboard. Temperature matters in electronics.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2026, 02:27:51 pm by Electrodynamic »
 

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1755
  • Country: au
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1428 on: February 04, 2026, 03:00:41 pm »
Which may be why the aliexpress NE5532

Alleged NE5532.  They say "compatible", but then they also say it'll replace an OPA2604 and several others which are rather different beasts.  So who knows what's actually in there.  It could be a case of the heat spreader giveth, the NE5531¾ taketh away.
 

Offline grumpydoc

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3034
  • Country: gb
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1429 on: February 13, 2026, 12:25:49 pm »
Which may be why the aliexpress NE5532

Alleged NE5532.  They say "compatible", but then they also say it'll replace an OPA2604 and several others which are rather different beasts.  So who knows what's actually in there.  It could be a case of the heat spreader giveth, the NE5531¾ taketh away.

I would be pretty sceptical that there's any actual graphene involved either.
 

Offline woody

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 638
  • Country: nl
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1430 on: March 19, 2026, 11:59:49 am »
 

Offline MrMobodies

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2320
  • Country: gb
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1431 on: March 25, 2026, 06:23:18 am »
Aliexpress has more than its share of audio woo-woo, a friend of mine pointed me to this one, some metal-case NE5532 replacement with predictable reviews like "It greatly improved the audio of my Douk audio A5! Recommended, better soundstage, clearer highs, and organic sound".  However while I was looking up the OPA2604 that it claims to also replace I found this, a discrete-parts replacement for said device, just one of many all over eBay.  I'm not convinced that trying to reproduce a carefully-designed laser-trimmed circuit with a bunch of random components on a PCB is going to result in an improvement in performance.

I thought they get the money when the project was completed.

I have seen worse from Temu.

Someone paid £7 for this little DJ mixer thing. The DC jack was loose and not properly making contact and it had a long size round cell lithium battery moving around in inside the casing directly under the PCB. I saw it as a fire risk if it hits say the soldering pins so I disconnected it for them.
 

Offline rfclown

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 464
  • Country: us
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1432 on: June 24, 2026, 08:34:12 pm »
Seeing that there are lot of snake oil like topics popping up everywhere on this forum, might as well start a dedicated thread on them for a good laugh.

... yet another video about pissing all over the laws of thermodynamics.

"Can I tell you how I finally put all this understanding together?"

By putting his head in the Tesla coil discharge path.
 

Offline Poe_UK

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 22
  • Country: gb
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1433 on: September 18, 2026, 09:57:43 pm »
Im seeing a 0.001 \$\Omega\$ difference since i upgraded to £1000 speaker cables  :horse:
 

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1755
  • Country: au
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1434 on: September 19, 2026, 07:24:17 am »
Im seeing a 0.001 \$\Omega\$ difference since i upgraded to £1000 speaker cables  :horse:

I had the opposite experience, with the new cables I could detect a subtle change in the string section, like the second violin had moved his chair 5cm to the left.  1/5, would not recommend.
 

Offline GilbouFR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 40
  • Country: fr
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1435 on: September 19, 2026, 08:58:03 am »
The audio thing has been settled for a while since they invited expert audiophiles, bought Monster cables and made all of them listen to music through Monster cables, then through a banana and through wet mud where wires where plunged into. No one could detect any difference in the audio they listened to.

 ;D
 

Online Roehrenonkel

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 413
  • Country: de
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1436 on: September 19, 2026, 09:42:42 am »
Hi GilbouFR,
 
....it was just digital audio, right?

Best
Anyone still using VXI-Bus?
 

Offline GilbouFR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 40
  • Country: fr
 

Offline Gyro

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11172
  • Country: gb
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1438 on: September 19, 2026, 06:35:17 pm »
https://www.headphonesty.com/2026/01/audiophiles-fail-copper-banana-mud-blind-test/

There's an existing thread...  [url][https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-copper-wire-a-banana-or-wet-mud//url]
Best Regards, Chris
 
The following users thanked this post: GilbouFR


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->