Author Topic: First CPLD Design Feedback  (Read 656 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MinMaxTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: ca
First CPLD Design Feedback
« on: October 04, 2026, 05:30:52 pm »
I'm designing my first PCB that doesn't use auto routing.  This is also my first CPLD board.  I'm hoping to get some feed back, especially on things that will prevent the board from working.

This design is based on a schematic for the Altera MAX II EPM240 "developer board".  This is just the first step for me.  I'm hoping to start off simple and then move on to other more complex devices like the MAX 5, MAX 10 and maybe some proper FPGAs eventually.  The idea is to learn how to make these boards so that I can then easily use a FPGA in my own future projects.  This design was done in EasyEDA and will be assembled by JLCPCB. What do you guys think?

If you have an EasyEDA account, you can view my project here: https://u.easyeda.com/join?type=project&key=edc8f4291a3d8e2bfcc6537b3a06b62b&inviter=4e5d07c01957454a8bc3e589484919cc

I'm using the usual 4 layer board stack-up: signal, ground, power, signal.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2026, 12:00:16 am by MinMax »
 

Offline MarginallyStable

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Country: us
Re: First CPLD Design Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2026, 07:17:42 pm »
Are we missing a layer? Doesn't look like any of the VCC's are connected
 

Offline MinMaxTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: ca
Re: First CPLD Design Feedback
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2026, 08:37:20 pm »
Yes, I have a power layer and a ground layer.  There are no traces on there so I didn't include them.  I updated the post to include them now.
 

Offline AK6DN

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 74
  • Country: us
Re: First CPLD Design Feedback
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2026, 11:42:03 pm »
Inner 2 layer display looks like it includes both Inner 2 and Top, can you post just Inner 2 alone?
 

Offline MinMaxTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: ca
Re: First CPLD Design Feedback
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2026, 12:02:32 am »
Inner 2 layer display looks like it includes both Inner 2 and Top, can you post just Inner 2 alone?

Fixed.
 

Offline dobsonr741

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 975
  • Country: us
Re: First CPLD Design Feedback
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2026, 04:50:24 am »
This is a very low complexity board, and to that the size is huge. If you want to hone in your skills in optimizing using multiple layers, make the board smaller. And if you want to gain marketable skills, the progression is toward the inside of the cold/fpga, not in the surrounding PCB. In other words, focus on RTL design and simulation.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->