Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803851 times)

Offline GH05TMS

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6100 on: December 15, 2014, 08:47:38 pm »
I give up trying to hack this thing! can anyone please help me or better still, do this for me? I have money waiting! e4 running 2.3.0

I read the instructions, don't really understand what half of them mean and im getting myself really worked up over this. please can someone help me. :-+

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6101 on: December 15, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg478520/#msg478520
You must hack it like before with old firmware tools.
But sometimes is not better way to resolve problems...

Edit: you got it already

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6102 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »
I give up trying to hack this thing! can anyone please help me or better still, do this for me? I have money waiting! e4 running 2.3.0

I read the instructions, don't really understand what half of them mean and im getting myself really worked up over this. please can someone help me. :-+

Where are you getting stuck?

Offline GH05TMS

• Contributor
« Reply #6103 on: December 15, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »

Where are you getting stuck?

im am totally a noob. I have no idea what any of the instructions mean, click this? do that? copy this? run that? and then all the different files to find and unzip? I mean geez lol, I don't even know what unzip means! I have no hope of doing this alone. no hope at all. in answer to your question, I got flir tools installed and that's my limit with how to do anything else. sorry for been so dim in this but I really have not a clue what to do.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6104 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »
im am totally a noob. I have no idea what any of the instructions mean, click this? do that? copy this? run that? and then all the different files to find and unzip? I mean geez lol, I don't even know what unzip means! I have no hope of doing this alone. no hope at all. in answer to your question, I got flir tools installed and that's my limit with how to do anything else. sorry for been so dim in this but I really have not a clue what to do.

Gh05tms, I strongly advise that you enjoy your e4 as-is, since the hack can be tricky even for those with extensive knowledge of computers, networking, scripting, electronics and more. If you make a mistake in any of the many steps, you may be left with a completely non-functional ("bricked") e4. While I've heard that Flir has been forgiving of such things when returned for warranty repair, I don't know how far their generosity extends.

FWIW, "unzip" means to extract compressed files from an archive, typically an archive in the zip file format.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:27:11 pm by tsmith35 »

Offline reifill

« Reply #6105 on: December 15, 2014, 10:25:32 pm »
Hi, the whole day I tried to upgrade my E4 to resolution E8...now I am becoming crazy... |O
:
:
Thanks i.a. reifill

Hey reifill,

sometimes just scanning through a few of the previous pages of a bulletin board provides valuable information ;)
You may want to check my contribution here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg563620/#msg563620

I would say as long as your camera is a 1.0 or 1.1 hardware, you can hack it using the "old" method, i.e. like it's described in the links published on the first page of this thread for the original 1.19.8 firmware. The menu hack wouldn't work, though. But there's a good chance that you can "downgrade" your camera back to 1.19.8

First thing to do is to download Marphy's TIConfig tool: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg421535/#msg421535 and check if the cfg files are encrypted or not. If they are readable clear-text, the standard hack for 1.19.8 firmware will work. If you'ld post a list of your camera's configuration, I can tell you if my "downgrade package" will work for you.

But from all I've learned with my cam, an updated 1.19 is still closer to the old configuration than to a factory native 2.3.

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi Thomas, camera is a 1.0, the conf.cfg is clear text, I changed the resolution in the textfile already to 360/230 and I used from e4hack3c CRC01.exe and copied the cfg-File to folder FlashFS. Now I will try CRC03.exe from ftool...
regards reifill

...it does not work...the camara behaves like nothing has changed...

Hi Folks, Ive got it!  :-DD The mistake I made, was: I only renamed the original file to conf.cfg.bak and copied additionally the "new" config.cfg into the same FS Folder, that does not work. After erasing the bakupfile everything is fine, with exception of the centerspot, but this will be an issue for tomorrow....(finaly I used the CRC01 Version).

Once again, in my case, Ive only exchanged the clear text conf.cfg in folder FlashFS, using my serial# and CRC01.exe and E8.cfg from e4hack3c, and watching youtube how to use CRC03/01.exe

Good night Reifill, happy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:34:50 pm by reifill »

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6106 on: December 16, 2014, 12:12:22 am »
GH05TMS, I am going to have to agree tsmith35 here, and say either enjoy it is, or find someone nearby that is somewhat more computer literate / experienced.  I have been doing various types of mostly non-programming computer work for over 25 years (computer assembly, tech support, computer admin, etc.) and had to spend 3 or 4 hours going over old messages in this thread to understand which revision of the E4 I had and follow the instructions, and even then I was crossing my fingers and being hopeful of a positive outcome.  If you want to try to find someone locally with the needed skills, you might check with some computer science or electrical engineering majors at nearby colleges or people that do IT work (other than first line tech support) for any mid size company.  It should be easy to find a qualified computer science student type that can do this, and most will work for cheap ($20, plus a pizza and 2 liter of cola), just be aware that if they brick it you are likely out your money.  The chance of bricking is the reason I would never try to do the hack for someone else, just is not worth the risk, even if the risk is low, too many people will say it is fine with them to take the risk, etc. then when it gets bricked they get mad.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #6107 on: December 16, 2014, 03:05:38 am »
My advice would be to return the E4 due to the problems (which my 2.3 did as well as sometimes had snow when the voltage got low) and is the reason I returned it. Then order one from Zoro and pray you get lucky and get a 1.22 like I did. Then the hack is very simple. Also zoro has 25% off right now so you get it for $750.....

Worst case you get a 2.3 and you have extra money to hire a computer geek to hack it for you.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:07:10 am by gemrough »

Offline saycomp

« Reply #6108 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:40 am »
Hi!

I'm new on this forum.
Many thanks for yours really great work!!!  :-+

I hack my E4 / 2.3 without any problem.
I did it all under Win 7 x64 without any problem. I noticed, that service "FLIR Systems Camera Monitor" must running. But sometimes it's not active and it can cause problems with connecting to the camera via network.

If you need manual temp scale it is possible that way:
download this - 2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
and add in - preset_centerspot.rsc
line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
after or before - .ui.userSettings.hideGraphics bool false
then you can set scale to "lock" and after changing "measurement" from "no" to "center spot"
up down left right moving temperatures

I tried upgrade my E4 / 2.3 to unit with manual temperature scale, but something is not clear for my.
I upgraded menu to version 4. But when I edit "preset_centerspot.rsc" there is no ".ui.userSettings.hideGraphics" line...

it look like:

#
# Generated at 2012-12-18 14:21:06
# ID
#
.image entry
.image.sysimgInstances entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.activeGlobal bool false
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1 index
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.active bool true
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.x int32 160
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.y int32 120
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.parMask int32 128
# CRC32 1928c3b8

Greetings!
simon

Offline GH05TMS

• Contributor
« Reply #6109 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »
thanks for replys all. I guess I will just have to either live with a stock e4 and missout on what you guys have or get someone to do this hack for me as you suggested seen as I have no clue what to do or where to start. Anyone from near Barnsley in the UK who can do this hack for me? E4 running 2.3.0. cash waiting. :-+

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6110 on: December 16, 2014, 01:25:26 pm »

Yes you can unlock the full resolution on E4's with 2.3.0. I am re posting this with a few edits to the original:

(originally posted by compet17)

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for Flir E4 (Firmware 2.3.0) for beginners (How I did it... and it worked)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(If somebody finds an error in this procedure, please tell me immediately and I will correct it)

- Get FlirTools from Flir website (free download) PC version recommended (Note: V5 does not work on Win XP...)
- Install FlirTools on your PC
- Get the files "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" and "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif" from this forum (zipped downloads somewhere in this thread)
- If you want to use the "permanent" file, you also need "remove_RNDIS_Permanent.fif"
   (Temporary.fif sets the USB of your cam to RNDIS mode UNTIL A REBOOT. Permanent does the same but it stays in RNDIS until YOU RUN   
     REMOVE.fif)
- Get E4 hack "v04.zip" for Version 2.3.0
- I assume that the installation of FlirTools does also install the camera driver. If not install it manually. Links are found in this thread
- Get PYTHON version 2.x (not version 3.x!) from the Python website and install it. This is needed to run the hack script. It's a programming language.

- Connect your E4 via USB to your PC and turn it on
- Go to "Programs(x86)/Flir systems/Flir Tools/bin and execute FLIRInstallNet.exe (this is part of the FlirTools software installed in step 2)
- Select the Set_RNDIS_xxxxxxx.fif (permanent or temporary) and click RUN FIF button.
  (A timeout error is normal after the command has succeeded because USB is now set to RNDIS mode)
(On mine I had to disconnect and hard reboot for the change to show up.... which meant I had to use the permanent file.  I had to use a win 8 PC.  After the Hard reboot I moved to a win XP PC)
- Wait a moment and open a CMD window, then enter IPCONFIG
- An additional network connection should be listed with IP Address 192.168.0.1 and gateway 192.168.0.2
- Enter "FTP", then "open 192.168.0.2" and a connection to your cam should be established
- Login with user "flir" and password "3vlig"
- Issue a "dir" command and the files and directories of your cam are listed.
- If all that works, type "quit" to exit and close ftp connection.

- copy the hack files from the v04.zip into the PYTHON folder.
- open CMD, use the command cd and go into python folder and enter "python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2"
- it will read two files from your cam and stores them in a backup folder, then it will do some magic with the files.
- you will find newly created conf.cfc and common_dll.dll in that folder and upload them back to the camera.

- In case you get an error 500 at the upload, you have to upload the files manually by FTP:

*** Only in case of error 500 ***
- Open CMD and FTP again and connect to your camera as before
- go to the indicated folders (cd /foldername/foldername/foldername)
- check the folder with "pwd" to make sure you're in the right one
- Use the lcd command to change to your local directory where the conf and common files are.
- put the files to the correct folders (put filename)

MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE RIGHT FILES INTO THE RIGHT FOLDER!!!

- Reboot your cam by removing/inserting the battery
- Be happy!!!

- It is possible that the measuring spot is off center after reboot. Turn the spot off/on in the setup menu of the cam and it should be centered.

I had a few issues with this process applying it to an E4 with 1.2L which had been upgraded to 2.3.13, but I was able to get things to work

1, The current release of flirtools did not install the windows RNDIS driver on my windows 7 computer, after a bit of digging I was able to download a copy of the RNDIS driver dated 2013 from the Flir support site.

2, I was able to set RNDIS using the hidden USB menu, and did not have to use  "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" or "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif" I suspect this is due to the 1.2L original firmware (I bought this E4 used, certification date was in april 2014)
I'm wondering how to use the hidden USB menu?

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6111 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:20 pm »
If you need manual temp scale it is possible that way:
download this - 2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
and add in - preset_centerspot.rsc
line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
then you can set scale to "lock" and after changing "measurement" from "no" to "center spot"
Hi janekivi?would you please give me the details for using 2.3_menu_4.zip step by step for 2.3 menu hacking?

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6112 on: December 16, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »
In the older firmware (and apparently in mine) there is a functional hidden USB menu you can go to from the onscreen menu.  Select settings, Device Settings, Camera Information, then when you are on the menu item for Model (on mine this reads E4 1.2L), hold down on the right direction pad for about 10-15 seconds it will take you into a set of hidden menus, one is USB mode, others are export information, Version Information, and Latest Calibration date.  If you hold down on the button too long it will take you into the Version information menu, if that happens just go up a directory level to see USB mode.  In some later firmware versions it appears that this menu is still available, but that the selector button simply does not change any of the settings.  One of these settings allows the use of RNDIS mode without having to do the Set_RNDIS hack
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:30:45 pm by Isaac-1 »

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6113 on: December 16, 2014, 02:43:31 pm »
So does anyone on here do the hack . Once I know this I can buy one. Also can the e6,be hacked

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6114 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
2.3.0 Menu hack:
if you download 2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
and install it with FLIRInstallNet to camera, then you have new preset_centerspot.rsc
add there line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:20:47 pm by janekivi »

Offline saycomp

« Reply #6115 on: December 16, 2014, 05:35:46 pm »
Hi!

2.3.0 Menu hack:
if you download 2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
and install it with FLIRInstallNet to camera, then you have new preset_centerspot.rsc
add there line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true

Something goes wrong. I tried many times. At the end I calculated right CRC32 number, but this option is still inaccessible...

file looks like:

#
# Generated at 2012-12-18 14:21:06
# ID
#
.image entry
.image.sysimgInstances entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.activeGlobal bool false
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot entry
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1 index
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.active bool true
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.x int32 160
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.y int32 120
.image.sysimgInstances.main.measureFuncs.spot.1.parMask int32 128
.ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
.ui.userSettings.hideGraphics bool false
# CRC32 1ad41b30

greetings!

simon

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6116 on: December 16, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »
Hello all just took a chance and bought the e 4 it has the latest software . Who can hack this for resolution I don't mind paying someone help I am ok based Leeds are but would travel to get it done

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6117 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:06 pm »
Hello thank you all for feedback . Does anyone do the hack on here ? As for asking flir about the hack yes I sure did as I was interested to hear his explanation of price difference due to a file or software differences . Hat off to him he was direct and upfront. If anyone does the hack let .me know . I'd travel or over pc maybe for a fee

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6118 on: December 16, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »
Ok... manual scale...
First thing - if you have resolution hack - we don't need any CRC anywhere, hacker wrote about his work
(all using my menu and there all files without it)
If rsc file is right as you have, process is this:
set [SCALE] to [LOCK] [OK]
set [MEASUREMENT] to [NO MEASUREMENTS] [OK]
set [MEASUREMENTS] to [CENTER SPOT] [OK]
and now scale temperature numbers is in gray boxes and they are adjustable with center button up down right left
after playing change [SCALE] to [AUTO] [OK]

Offline merlin1234

« Reply #6119 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:59 pm »
just received an e4 from Zoro ordered last week.
Flat battery.......
YES, its 1.22

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6120 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »
Then order one from Zoro and pray you get lucky and get a 1.22 like I did. Then the hack is very simple. Also zoro has 25% off right now so you get it for $750.....

I chickened out and didn't order one last week. Seeing that others are still getting the older version, I'm feeling some regret. The 25% off code that was posted here was only good last Thursday and Friday (11/12 Dec). Is there some other 25% off deal that's still available?

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6121 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »
I chickened out and didn't order one last week. Seeing that others are still getting the older version, I'm feeling some regret. The 25% off code that was posted here was only good last Thursday and Friday (11/12 Dec). Is there some other 25% off deal that's still available?

There is a Zoro.com 25% off coupon code that still works, but it expires TONIGHT. The discount code is TRAIN -- I just tested it with an e4 in the cart and it works. Again, it expires tonight, so it appears that you lucked out.

Direct link to the e4 on Zoro: http://www.zoro.com/i/G5281245/

The price before shipping and taxes is $746.25 (the coupon saves you $248.75).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:28:54 pm by tsmith35 »

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6122 on: December 16, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »
thanks for replys all. I guess I will just have to either live with a stock e4 and missout on what you guys have or get someone to do this hack for me as you suggested seen as I have no clue what to do or where to start. Anyone from near Barnsley in the UK who can do this hack for me? E4 running 2.3.0. cash waiting. :-+
... Did you find someone to hack it if so I am local to you and would like mine doing

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6123 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »
2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
Something goes wrong. I tried many times. At the end I calculated right CRC32 number, but this option is still inaccessible...

file looks like:
.ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
.ui.userSettings.hideGraphics bool false

This does not look like the preset from janekivi. Extract and Install the preset from janekivi's link. You have two lines missing before the last two.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline FredB

• Contributor
« Reply #6124 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:39 pm »
Ok... manual scale...
First thing - if you have resolution hack - we don't need any CRC anywhere, hacker wrote about his work
(all using my menu and there all files without it)
If rsc file is right as you have, process is this:
set [SCALE] to [LOCK] [OK]
set [MEASUREMENT] to [NO MEASUREMENTS] [OK]
set [MEASUREMENTS] to [CENTER SPOT] [OK]
and now scale temperature numbers is in gray boxes and they are adjustable with center button up down right left
after playing change [SCALE] to [AUTO] [OK]

Hello Janekivi,
You forget to say that the camera.cmd-file also had to be changed with two add commands.
For the centerspot-file and the no measurement-file. Otherwise this files are not added to the camera.
But by the way, your work is very usefull and I want to thank you for your efforts.
I appreciate it very much. Keep up the good work.
The menu's and colors are great and the manual scale is working very fine.
Thank you again.
Fred

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf