Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489459 times)

Messtechniker and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3075 on: June 24, 2023, 09:25:32 am »
Hi, any config file here for ET5420A+?

There is a definition for ET5420A and it can probably easy be adapted for ET5420A+

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3076 on: June 28, 2023, 11:44:17 am »
Hi HKJ,

I wrote a configuration file for the HP / Agilent 3458A 8,5 digit multimeter.

The legendary 3458A is a complex instrument, designed for a broad range of tasks. From very fast systems measurements to very accurate measurements in calibration labs.

IMG_0043  Agilent 3458A-2000pix.jpg

This configuration file is more targeted to high accuracy measurements then very high measurement speed. (For speed, I think the basic implementation of GPIB in TC is the limiting link. With single measurement data requests / readouts about 30 values/sec. But for system measurements there will be custom control software anyway…)

All configuration options I am using, and all settings that could be necessary for high accuracy measurements are in the menus:

TC 3458A OHMF screenshot-1000pix.png

There are double menu settings for the important parameters NPLC and Aperture (A/D converter integration time).
For quick setting of the most common values  one can use the piano buttons. But one can enter any valid value in the entry field of the number control if you want a different setting. (or a specific setting is specified in a procedure)

An advantage is that the numbers in the entry fields will always show the current settings used by the meter. No unnecessary luxury with so many settings that all influence the measurement result.  :)
It is also educational to see how NPLC and Aperture are interacting.

I have tested this configuration file with a Agilent 3458A, but it should also recognize the new black Keysight 3458A. (only the identification string should be different)

I implemented commands for AUTOCAL and TEMP? (internal temperature), so these can be used in scripts. But i removed Autocal from the menu as the risk of mishaps is too high (Auto Cal with cold meter, meter is blocked for 10 minutes, still voltages connected to the terminals)

Please find the definition file here: AgilentHP3458A.zip
As before, you are welcome to use my pictures for your website.

Regards, Gertjan.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3077 on: June 29, 2023, 11:07:45 am »
Hi HKJ,

I wrote a configuration file for the HP / Agilent 3458A 8,5 digit multimeter.

Thanks, it will be included in the next release.

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3078 on: June 30, 2023, 11:41:21 am »
Hi HKJ,
Here is a device configuration file for Fluke 863, 865 and 867B Graphical Multimeters.
I wrote and tested the definition with a Fluke 867B. But it should work for the other of the members of the 86x family too.
These meters have a mechanical rotary mode switch. So there are no menu’s. All function switching and mode selection is done on the meter itself. The actual mode is decoded from #askValues.

IMG 0008 Fluke 867B-2000pix.jpg

Actually there are two configuration files. I started with a definition which is only reading the main display, heeding your advice:
Quote from: HKJ on 12 December 2022, 10:56:09
I generally do not decode secondary displays on multimeters, there are a couple of reasons for that.

Not very useful information (This is mostly about the frequency in AC).
    Logging rate goes down (Depends on multimeter).
    TC will automatic track range changes for devices with one value, not for devices with multiple values. This is not about the main pages, but on the popups (A lot of TC's functionality are in the popups).

And indeed, with  this definition the logging is the fastest.

But this meter has a very nice and extensive dual display function.
And with it’s opto isolated RS-232 connection, and extremely well isolated mains adapter, it is very well suited for things like monitoring the mains. For such cases it is handy to log Voltage and Frequency with one meter:

Powergrid Utrecht-1200pix.png

So I also wrote a configuration file for reading both primary and secondary values. Indeed this definition reads slower. (It is not a fast meter to start with: calculating RMS etc. just takes some time with this meter…)

In practice both configuration files coexist happily next to each other. And I just choose the one that is most suitable for the occasion. In the past months I used both about the same amount of time.
Unfortunately my programming skills are insufficient to combine both into one configuration file. (and keep the advantages of both)  :-[

Please find the definition files here: Fluke 86x device file.zip

Just for fun, and for your Multimeter frequency response page, here is the frequency response of the 867B:

Fluke 867B Frequency.png

(Yes, I am also working on a Rigol DG1032Z ARB definition, but that one needs some more fine tuning and polishing...)

Regards, Gertjan.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3079 on: July 04, 2023, 10:37:12 am »
Here is a device configuration file for Fluke 863, 865 and 867B Graphical Multimeters.

Thanks, this will be included in next release.

Just for fun, and for your Multimeter frequency response page, here is the frequency response of the 867B:

Chart is added to webpage

Offline pepperoni7

• Contributor
« Reply #3080 on: July 23, 2023, 07:22:28 pm »
I'm very new to Linux and Python, so I'm also very glad there is TC to connect to my measurement gear and do measurements!
Thanx to HKJ and everyone else involved to make this possible.

The "USBTMC" Protocol has come up in the past. I've an OWON SDS1192 which uses the "PC" setting to log to its own propreiety software. However, it does support "USBTMC" mode as well.

Any chance of this being updated? I know very little about it at the moment, but it appears it would allow Test Controller to nearly immediately add a bunch of equipment to its list of supported devices.

The problem is that USBTMC requires native code and cannot be done in Java and native code requires separate code for each OS and cpu architecture.

OK, back to my question.
Wouldn't python-usbtmc make all this happen?
https://github.com/python-ivi/python-usbtmc

At least I could connect to a Siglent DSG1025 AWG on the command line using pyvisa after installing python-usbtmc

Regards

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3081 on: July 24, 2023, 10:30:24 am »
OK, back to my question.
Wouldn't python-usbtmc make all this happen?
https://github.com/python-ivi/python-usbtmc

At least I could connect to a Siglent DSG1025 AWG on the command line using pyvisa after installing python-usbtmc

The issue is using Python from Java, it might be easy enough to run a Python program from Java, but what is required is to run a few lines of Python codes multiple times each second. That kind of stuff works best when everything stays loaded and initialized all the time, this makes it very different from just running a Python program.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3082 on: July 24, 2023, 08:02:50 pm »
I'm trying for a device to convert in NR3 a number. For example  0.123 -> 123E-03  (and not 123m as si). Is there a trick to do it ?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3083 on: July 25, 2023, 10:05:58 am »
I'm trying for a device to convert in NR3 a number. For example  0.123 -> 123E-03  (and not 123m as si). Is there a trick to do it ?

It depends on where you do it:

For regular value displays TC uses the datatype definition https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#Data_type_definitions where you define the format as SI, X or D with a digit count.
The controls used in configuration has a :format: tag that also accept these specifications.

In other cases you may need to use scripting with: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html#formatSI or https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html#formatDouble
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:08:16 am by HKJ »

The following users thanked this post: trp806mo

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3084 on: July 25, 2023, 06:42:44 pm »
Hi HKJ,

Thank you for the explanation. I tried it immediately.

When I click right on the log window and select "Generate scripts" and then "Chart/Hist/Range script", indeed something is running in the log & program editor window. I save the script.
When I stop, and restart the logging, I click "load and run", open the script, and click "run". Indeed the right traces are now selected, but unfortunately NOT in the right order....
So I must be missing something....

Anyway, this work-around seems like more work then just manually click the traces in the right order....

I think I see the problem, I have not really seen the selection sequence as a important parameter, just that the right tracks are selected.
The script do more than just select the traces as you can see on the script commands.

If you email me a datafile and screen shoots of your selection, the restored selection and the generated script. I will take a look and if I agree you are right about selection is important and it is not too hard to fix it I will.

When doing this it might be best to generate a menu entry, it makes future selection very easy.
@HJK, @Gertjan,
Would like to second the thought that the selection sequence matters.
Great program !
thanks

Offline Oleksii

• Contributor
« Reply #3085 on: August 02, 2023, 08:36:47 pm »
V2.35 is up
   Added: Block driver will support socket interface.
   Added: Poll delay setting in Block driver (#pollPause)
   Fixed: A charset issue with  #rxStart in Block driver

1. I can confirm that #rxStart now works correctly with multiple bytes, thanks.

2. I also confirm that #pollPause does its job well, provided value should be in milliseconds.
Unfortunately I do not see it mentioned in documentation for the driver https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block)

3. I wonder where to read about "socket interface" ?
Is this about possibility to communicate over a TCP socket in network instead of a serial interface?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3086 on: August 04, 2023, 07:16:55 am »
2. I also confirm that #pollPause does its job well, provided value should be in milliseconds.
Unfortunately I do not see it mentioned in documentation for the driver https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block)

Oops, I did write it but forgot to upload the new page, this is fixed now.

3. I wonder where to read about "socket interface" ?
Is this about possibility to communicate over a TCP socket in network instead of a serial interface?

Yes, socket is using TCP. There is no special documentation about it, but see here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#The_device_identification_and_connection_parametes. It will be selected if you write a socket port number after the #port tag.
I did not test it when adding the code and somebody says it do not work, it will be tested (and fixed) before next version.

The following users thanked this post: Oleksii

Offline Oleksii

• Contributor
« Reply #3087 on: August 04, 2023, 11:36:42 am »
Yes, socket is using TCP. There is no special documentation about it, but see here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#The_device_identification_and_connection_parametes. It will be selected if you write a socket port number after the #port tag.
I did not test it when adding the code and somebody says it do not work, it will be tested (and fixed) before next version.
Thanks, I was able to get  it working with my Tasi device (originally with serial port), when I made a COM<->TCP bridge, so TC communicated over a TCP socket.

I should publish definition file for Tasi soon, after polishing it for graphs etc.

Monitoring the lines with a terminal window I can see the responses to Test Controller's commands.
When using socket, the response does not appear to be read into Test Controller so it keeps sending the same command.
@jmurray, FYI, it works for me. Something is incorrect on your side.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #3088 on: August 12, 2023, 03:10:13 am »
I made a minor change to the definition file for the Siglent SDL10xxXxx to do with how the instrument changes modes to CC on connection and locks its front panel, it now won't do that.

Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3089 on: August 14, 2023, 03:50:39 pm »
I made a minor change to the definition file for the Siglent SDL10xxXxx to do with how the instrument changes modes to CC on connection and locks its front panel, it now won't do that.

It will be included in the next update.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3090 on: August 18, 2023, 08:44:57 am »
V2.36 is up.
This update contains a few new (Maybe new is not the correct word) devices, a new popup and a modification of the #ChartCurves command.
   Added: Timer counter popup, this can be used to analyze on/off cycles that are seconds or slower
   Changed: #ChartCurves will select curves in the sequence listed in the command
   Added: Fluke 863, Fluke 865, Fluke 867 (Thanks Gertjan Miedema)
   Added: Agilent 3458A, HP 3458A high precision DMM (Thanks Gertjan Miedema)
   Added: Racal-Dana 1991 & Racal-Dana 1992 Counter only config and logging (Thanks Gertjan Miedema)

The new popup can be used to analyze freezers, heaters, pumps and other stuff with slow on/off control, usually by using a ammeter in the power lead to a device or a voltmeter across the active part of the device
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 01:11:43 pm by HKJ »

The following users thanked this post: croma641, bicycleguy

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3091 on: August 18, 2023, 08:56:38 am »
V3.26 is up.
   Changed: #ChartCurves will select curves in the sequence listed in the command

Thank you!
Regards, Gertjan.

Offline dibro

• Contributor
« Reply #3092 on: August 18, 2023, 12:08:56 pm »
"V3.26 is up."
I guess this should be - V2.36 is up.
At least the is what the About box says.  ;)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3093 on: August 18, 2023, 01:13:06 pm »
"V3.26 is up."
I guess this should be - V2.36 is up.
At least the is what the About box says.  ;)

Oops, fixed.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3094 on: August 22, 2023, 09:55:31 am »
There is something changed?
I have used this program before, but today when I try to save the log, buttons "Save" or "Export" does nothing. They are supposed to show a dialog where I can choose to save the log, as I remember ...

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3095 on: August 22, 2023, 10:27:01 am »
I have used this program before, but today when I try to save the log, buttons "Save" or "Export" does nothing. They are supposed to show a dialog where I can choose to save the log, as I remember ...

Strange, I just tried here and it works as it is supposed to.
Note: Save and Export only works when there are data in the table. They will also be disabled if you are active logging to disk, but will be enabled when you stop logging.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3096 on: August 22, 2023, 10:53:21 am »

Note: Save and Export only works when there are data in the table. They will also be disabled if you are active logging to disk, but will be enabled when you stop logging.

I know, I have used it many times before. It has data, just wasted 4 hours of logging. After stopping can't save ... I have downloaded last version do a test log, same problem.  If you say that should work, maybe is something from Java ...

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3097 on: August 22, 2023, 11:20:12 am »

I know, I have used it many times before. It has data, just wasted 4 hours of logging. After stopping can't save ... I have downloaded last version do a test log, same problem.  If you say that should work, maybe is something from Java ...

The Java I tested with is:

C:\Users\hkj>java -version
java version "1.8.0_231"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_231-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.231-b11, mixed mode)

Try running TC from a DOS prompt, it will output error messages to the DOS window. Error messages are always output, debug messages only in debug mode and both to DOS window and to TC log window.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3098 on: August 22, 2023, 04:47:45 pm »

The Java I tested with is:

C:\Users\hkj>java -version
java version "1.8.0_231"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_231-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.231-b11, mixed mode)

Try running TC from a DOS prompt, it will output error messages to the DOS window. Error messages are always output, debug messages only in debug mode and both to DOS window and to TC log window.

My version is :

java version "17.0.1" 2021-10-19 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 17.0.1+12-LTS-39)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.1+12-LTS-39, mixed mode, sharing)

The output at export command is in file attached.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3099 on: August 23, 2023, 08:37:27 am »
The output at export command is in file attached.

Java fails to select a directory, I do not know why, but I have added exception handle to it. I.e. it will not prevent saving, but will instead list a error message: "Failed to set director:"
Please post the the error message, I would like to know if I try to set a invalid directory (The other possibility is that the directory has a filename java do not like).

The modified TC is here, it is only the jar file, not the full TC:
http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf