Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3805788 times)

Offline yogort1

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7500 on: December 09, 2015, 02:30:16 pm »
Is it possible to change camera's ID and part number? Is there a file in the software that is editable?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7501 on: December 09, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
Is it possible to change camera's ID and part number? Is there a file in the software that is editable?

I believe some of that information is stored on the EEPROM. Depending on the version of firmware you have you may or may not be able to access it.

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #7502 on: December 09, 2015, 07:29:25 pm »
Just to clarify, your camera originally was an E6 with 2.8.0 but you successfully downgraded it to 2.3.0 and applied the res/menu hacks?

If i've gotten that right, could you detail exactly what steps you took to successfully downgrade and hack the camera? 47MHz mentioned last page that they'd tried downgrading and bricked two cameras, so there must be something different you did...

Puh exactly? I've tried so many stuff, i can only offer you that parts i still remember ;)
I bought a Flir E6 1.2L With Serial 6396...... and Softwareversion 2.8.0
Flir Tools said, there is an update firmware available to 2.3.0, so i downloaded it. I didn't found the firmware version 2.8.0 to download. So it would be a bad idea to "update" from 2.8.0 to 2.3.0 without the option to upgrade back to 2.8.0.
Then i found this thread.... No risk no fun. 2.8.0 = no fun and when flir allows to start the installation of an older firmware, it should be working. I up/downgraded to 2.3.0 like i already described. Some long minuteslater,  the camera is booting up an working - YEAH!
Then reading hunderts of postings and downloading the tools later, the Hack is working. WIN!

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #7503 on: December 10, 2015, 03:18:42 am »
My Sept 3 camera has been successfully hacked, and I've already found a couple of things wrong insulation-wise with it :)

Hmm. Interesting. 47MHz said their E4s bricked when just running the 2.3.0 upgrade to downgrade them, so perhaps the E4 alone has had some changes made?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7504 on: December 10, 2015, 02:11:34 pm »
Perhaps they finally respun the E4 to use the lepton core - since it looks like the code to support it has be present in some way since the 2.3.0 update that may be it for upgrades. Would really be nice if some one with a E4 v2.8.0 would perhaps take some pictures of the lens area, or provide a backup of the file system so interested people can take a peek.

Offline Discombobulated Dave

• Contributor
« Reply #7505 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:40 pm »
That's a shame if the E4 can't be hacked.

I'm sending mine back then. If I leave it any longer I will loose the option to return it.

Will try to source an E4 with 2.3.0 firmware.

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #7506 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:21 am »
Perhaps they finally respun the E4 to use the lepton core - since it looks like the code to support it has be present in some way since the 2.3.0 update that may be it for upgrades. Would really be nice if some one with a E4 v2.8.0 would perhaps take some pictures of the lens area, or provide a backup of the file system so interested people can take a peek.

Possible. Doesn't seem hugely likely since I'm not sure the Lepton can actually meet the E4's required performance, but possible. In which case I bought mine just in time!

That's a shame if the E4 can't be hacked.

I'm sending mine back then. If I leave it any longer I will loose the option to return it.

Will try to source an E4 with 2.3.0 firmware.

If they haven't made any hardware changes, then it's almost certainly still hackable - but there're still a few pre-hacked units on eBay so I'd probably go down that route instead for now (if you're not interested in being a guinea pig)

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
« Reply #7507 on: December 12, 2015, 09:23:52 pm »
Interesting comment about potential firmware in FLIR cameras... I'm assuming he's talking about FLIR anyway.
Skip to 9:05
https://youtu.be/zVJGY2bZ-Ko?t=9m6s

--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7508 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:05 pm »
The cat image he used in the presentation certainly comes from FLIR. It is used regularly in advertisements and, unedited, has the FLIR logo top left. I have seen it stated as from a FLIR One G1.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7509 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:03 am »
Someone tried to downgrade from 2.8.0 to 2.3.0 using FirTools ??? It offers "upgrade" to version 2.3.0.

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #7510 on: December 14, 2015, 06:42:12 pm »
What other cameras have better resolution than the e 8

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #7511 on: December 14, 2015, 09:51:01 pm »

There are lots of cameras with higher resolutions, but they are extremely expensive.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7512 on: December 14, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »

T1K series with a 1024x768 sensor would be a start...  :-+

A steal of a buy around 40K USD.  :-DD

Offline ct

« Reply #7513 on: December 14, 2015, 11:24:33 pm »
matmoe,
Do you know what version of the Flir Tools you had installed on your computer when you downgraded the firmware?
Thanks

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7514 on: December 15, 2015, 06:10:56 pm »
Zoro and T-Eq are tried for 2.3.0 and failed. They both ship 2.8.0.

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #7515 on: December 15, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
Do you know what version of the Flir Tools you had installed on your computer when you downgraded the firmware?

Version 5.3.15320.1002

Offline ct

« Reply #7516 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »
Thanks matmoe.
I have Flir E4 1.2L, firmware 2.8.0, S/N 6396xxxx, calibration Dec. 3 . When I check for updates, using the same Flir Tools v 5.3.15320.1002, it doesn't show the option to "update" to 2.3.0  :(. It just shows that it's the current version. If I would have seen that option, I might have try it as well, but I'm not comfortable to do a force "update" after I saw that there are people with bricked devices.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7517 on: December 15, 2015, 10:09:31 pm »
CT -  Please can you copy files from the camera and give some of these guys who know what to do with them?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:11:54 pm by Sofia »

Offline anonyman

« Reply #7518 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:30 pm »
Hi All,

Just joined. I've been reading your posts for a few weeks now. I ordered an E4 from from T-eq on Nov-24, will get it tomorrow. I think I just missed the boat for the older firmware.

Anyways, if anyone wants me to post any pics of any hardware, plz let me know, cause if there's been a hardware change, I will probably just send it back.

Btw, the files that matmoe uploaded, there is a .fif file in it, it looks like a Zend or IonCube encoded php file, but don't take my word for it, could very well be something else. I didn't try to deZend it or anything though.

Offline anonyman

« Reply #7519 on: December 15, 2015, 10:48:36 pm »
Also, 47Mhz,

could you give the steps that you took that got you bricked, this could help us from getting bricked.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7520 on: December 15, 2015, 10:55:25 pm »
> 2 anonyman,

I bet you will have 2.3.0 :) you are one of the luckiest man to take these few cameras in very last moment before they disappeared.
When you have it in your hands, please tell us if it is so.

Offline anonyman

« Reply #7521 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:44 pm »
Actually i'm pretty sure it will be the new firmware, because when i ordered, there was one in stock and then the next day I got an email saying that it has been delayed and then they ran out of stock.

I'm thinking the 2 weeks delay was because they have been manually updating the firmware's on each and every one of the new cameras they send out.

Anyways, will know tomorrow.

My main purpose of the camera is to find insulation and air leaks, as we are remodeling my house and there is one room which is colder then the rest of the house and I can't seem to find out where the cold is coming from, or there are so many cold spots, don't know where to start plugging them.

But if there has been a hardware change, I will just buy one off Ebay and send this one back. The new firmware I can live with as there will probably be a hack for it sooner or later.

Will post with the details tommorrow.

thanks all

Offline ct

« Reply #7522 on: December 15, 2015, 11:45:01 pm »
Sofia,
I should be able to do that, if I find a way to save the files from the device.

Offline FivePoint03

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7523 on: December 16, 2015, 04:02:04 pm »
Can anyone tell me where to buy an E4 from that will be suitable for upgrade to E8. I'm in the UK.

I think Santa wants me to have one.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7524 on: December 16, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
Which OS you are running?

What is exact version number of FLIR Tools you used for the update?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf