Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460245 times)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1150 on: August 20, 2021, 04:36:51 am »
Which is fine. But it seems to me that your peeve is based on your preferred meaning of the word, which is not the commonly understood meaning. Kind of like me complaining that everyone in the US calls the pavement a 'sidewalk'.

To me anything that is paved is "pavement", that includes both the street and the sidewalk, parking lots, etc. The pavement is the paved surface, a sidewalk is a paved surface for pedestrian traffic adjacent to a road.

Pavement is (was) an indie rock band from California.

I mixed front of house for this show.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #1151 on: August 20, 2021, 08:26:24 am »

Did you make the recording too?

My last outing was prepared for recording, but that did not happen, not by me. I really must start getting my jobs recorded.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1152 on: August 20, 2021, 02:13:49 pm »
Functioning headphones that become useless because the foam padding has disintegrated.

I bought these, I don't know, maybe 20 years ago https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHS3701_27/-  I liked them and they worked fine (I prefer over the ear to reduce the inevitable plunge toward deafness).

Now, the padding has disintegrated although they otherwise work fine. Searches for foam pads that fit were futile. No patience or instructions for making my own.

So, I look to buy these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones and I notice that I can also get these https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PORT-REPLACEMENT-CUSHIONS-Replacement/dp/B000O2KIMO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Koss+Portable+Replacement+Cushions&qid=1629468691&sr=8-1 which appear to fit the model.

If I get the extra pads now, I would think that they would degrade sitting in the package - no? If I wait until the ones on the new product degrade, they will stop offering the replacements.

There is no end to the injustice I must suffer  :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: August 20, 2021, 03:17:59 pm »
my Philips SBC HP840 headphones  fell apart - now partially fixed with parcel tape. Those were not expensive, the Bose noise cancelling headphone's mock leather stitching falling apart was a bigger down.
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: August 20, 2021, 04:03:08 pm »
my Philips SBC HP840 headphones  fell apart - now partially fixed with parcel tape. Those were not expensive, the Bose noise cancelling headphone's mock leather stitching falling apart was a bigger down.
At least the Bose ones are easy to obtain and fit. Most headphone era pads now crumble after 2 to 4 years, and for many models replacements are nearly impossible to obtain. In the 60s and 70s headphone pads lasted until they literally wore out.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1155 on: August 20, 2021, 04:54:54 pm »
Functioning headphones that become useless because the foam padding has disintegrated.

/---

Now, the padding has disintegrated although they otherwise work fine. Searches for foam pads that fit were futile. No patience or instructions for making my own.

--/

Maybe I will try to affix some replacement fabric on to them. I should have some old fabric around here or something and some fabric adhesive. I would need to fashion a sophisticated clamp (e.g., a rubber band) - how hard could it be?  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: August 20, 2021, 08:06:37 pm »

Reminds me of another thing, earphones that sound like crap. It used to be easy to find wired earbuds that sounded quite good, not audiophile of course but plenty good for listening to music while walking/jogging/biking etc. Gradually I had the wires break and I went looking for new ones but now every pair I've tried sounds tinny and terrible, and most are the kind that have a rubber plug that pokes into your ear and I don't like those. Wireless bluetooth earbuds seem all the rage now but I hate those, they look stupid and it's yet another battery to remember to charge up. I just want some good old fashioned earbuds with a wire, no mic, no built in volume control, just something I can plug into my phone or ipod and listen.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #1157 on: August 20, 2021, 08:14:32 pm »
I just want some good old fashioned earbuds with a wire, no mic, no built in volume control, just something I can plug into my phone or ipod and listen.

https://www.etymotic.com/product/er4sr-earphones/

Insanely good-sounding. Quite expensive. Highly desirable.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: August 20, 2021, 08:21:15 pm »
Ask a friend returning from overseas to grab an extra one for you on the plain  ;)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: August 21, 2021, 01:48:18 am »

So the selling point is that they can make multiples of the same model of headphones, that isn't even handed apart from perhaps writing "L" or "R" on the outside, such that two examples are within 1dB of each other and you have to pay $300 for the pleasure? My £15 Sony pair are that close as far as I can tell, or care.

The frequency response of the ones you've linked is only up to 16 kHz which isn't great!

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: August 21, 2021, 05:38:22 am »
wow i wanted to but some earbud's at the food-market, but the price was about 6x what I want to pay.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #1161 on: August 21, 2021, 05:44:47 am »

So the selling point is that they can make multiples of the same model of headphones, that isn't even handed apart from perhaps writing "L" or "R" on the outside, such that two examples are within 1dB of each other and you have to pay $300 for the pleasure? My £15 Sony pair are that close as far as I can tell, or care.

The frequency response of the ones you've linked is only up to 16 kHz which isn't great!

Naturally, without the "Beats by Dre" marketing hype, this is not going to sound (sic) much, but as unassuming as these look and (very conservatively are specced), the more impressively they sound. No hyperbole. Just quite a few years of solid engineering work building audiological equipment, and actually learning how the ear works, and building transducers that work in the ear canal more convincing than anything else I've heard.

Re £15 buds: My children have £35 Sony cans, bought to get them something that would sound at least decent. The step up between those and my MDR-7506 pro Sony cans (£98.86, ex VAT, from Canford) is astonishing (I almost did not buy the cheap ones because of that, but it turns out they still sound better than all the "gaming" headsets available...), and then, to put perspective on things, I think that the 7506es (while still more or less the broadcast standard in Europe) have a distinct second place in a race against the Etymotics.

But yeah. I appreciate that it has to be experienced to be understood.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: August 21, 2021, 05:30:25 pm »
I just want some good old fashioned earbuds with a wire, no mic, no built in volume control, just something I can plug into my phone or ipod and listen.

Yeah no way am I paying $300 for earbuds. Back in the day I had lots of different <$10 pairs that sounded just fine, like I said, not audiophile grade but they didn't sound like complete garbage either, which is what every modern pair I've tried sounds like. No bass at all, they are clearly using drivers designed for voice rather than music. I'd consider spending as much as perhaps 20 bucks, I have some over-ear headphones that were about that much that sound perfectly fine but they're no good for any sort of vigorous activity.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #1163 on: August 22, 2021, 02:46:40 am »

I did not. There were few regulars at the club who had the Sony Pro Walkman cassette recorder (I eventually bought one, too) and they'd use the little stereo condenser mics clipped to their lapels. They never asked to patch into the console. That's because they were my friends and knew better. The occasional stranger who asked for a console feed was always told "no." Tapers are annoying.

The console we had (Soundcraft 200B) didn't have a simple way to connect a recorder (no matrix, not enough groups) so on the occasion when I did bring a recorder I used the console's main output inserts to feed it. The trick: take a ¼" TRS plug and short tip and ring together and connect it to the insert. That gives you an output you can use, and the short accomplishes the same thing as the jack's shorting connection. Still it's a board mix so generally the result was drums and vocals with hints of guitar and bass.

Nowadays many consoles have digital recording outs over USB, which is quite handy. You get a multitrack thing you can mix down later.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #1164 on: August 22, 2021, 07:44:40 am »

I did not. There were few regulars at the club who had the Sony Pro Walkman cassette recorder (I eventually bought one, too) and they'd use the little stereo condenser mics clipped to their lapels. They never asked to patch into the console. That's because they were my friends and knew better. The occasional stranger who asked for a console feed was always told "no." Tapers are annoying.

The console we had (Soundcraft 200B) didn't have a simple way to connect a recorder (no matrix, not enough groups) so on the occasion when I did bring a recorder I used the console's main output inserts to feed it. The trick: take a ¼" TRS plug and short tip and ring together and connect it to the insert. That gives you an output you can use, and the short accomplishes the same thing as the jack's shorting connection. Still it's a board mix so generally the result was drums and vocals with hints of guitar and bass.

Nowadays many consoles have digital recording outs over USB, which is quite handy. You get a multitrack thing you can mix down later.

I'm well familiar with the 200b. Recently failed to get my fingers on an insanely cheap 200 Delta that would have been a capability enhancement for me -- 10 channels and one monitor send is a bit limiting except for jazz. And no, tapers don't get a hole, unless authorized by the band. The insert trick is very nice.

I did get to watch a colleague use a Allen & Heath dLive desk yesterday evening. Must say that I'm impressed; especially by the EQ. It acutally DOES something. The likes of Yamaha and other Asian digital EQ's do a lot to the sound curve, but not the sound, if you follow.

My present peeve is people buying "iPad mixers" and expecting me to work with them. I want a control surface, damnit!

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: August 22, 2021, 12:06:37 pm »
The console we had (Soundcraft 200B)
that takes me back,must be at least  20 years since i last since i kicked one in the wild,great little desk,especially for theatre.

My present peeve is people buying "iPad mixers" and expecting me to work with them. I want a control surface, damnit!
totally agree,although having  a tablet for remote is very useful,especially during soundcheck,also handy if theirs not a separate monitor board.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: August 22, 2021, 02:34:07 pm »
Pet Peeve...

Freaking hot melt, or as professionally known as hot snot!

Yes I understand it can be helpful and I too have used it...  BUT   there really needs to be a law or perhaps a world wide authority to oversee, train and issue permits to use hot snot...   In an appropriate, clean and purposeful way..  OH and there ought to be fines or imprisonment for individuals that show blatant disregard for such authority..

Just a thought.     ..oh I feel so much better that I've said this, very therapeutic really.

It is practically useless for actual gluing of things like even small pieces of wood, because the glue cools down rapidly & does not stick the parts together---------" Gorilla Snot" (contact cement) does a much better job.

Hot Snot is useful enough to keep a big electro from slopping about, or slicing the glue stick up & putting it inside large heatshrink as a substitute for self adhesive tubing (works a treat!).
Most other things are better done with silicone sealant, or perhaps, epoxy.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: August 22, 2021, 02:41:06 pm »
I have long held a pet peeve against the misuse of the word random, especially in professional contexts, but also everywhere else.

If a number between 1 and 100 is chosen at random, it means to me that every number from 1 to 100 had an equal probability of being chosen.

If a shirt to wear is chosen at random, it means that every shirt had an equal probability of being chosen. If I chose a shirt to wear for some unspecified reason, some unknown or unclear reason or it struck my fancy at the moment, it does not mean that it was chosen at random.

If some woman came up to me and starting talking politics at the mall, it does not mean that it was some random woman.
Back in the day, we would speak of a "stray woman" in that situation.
I tried hard to fight the good fight against "random", but finally succumbed.

(On the first pass, the iPad made it "suddumbed" which is sort of appropriate! ;D)

Making a choice without some specified method or conscious decision does not make it a random choice.

An understanding of what random does and does not mean is an integral part of all inferential statistics that I use and deserves accurate use in many professional activities and in common and casual conversation. It is a very important concept and, as such, it should be treated as a reserved word. Instead, you can read dictionary definitions for the word that are explicitly wrong.

There is no reason to part from the accurate use of the word because it is somehow convenient or one does not know any better and, further, the rationalization of “you know what I mean” is particularly annoying because you don’t know what you mean.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: August 22, 2021, 02:46:17 pm »
I have long held a pet peeve against the misuse of the word random, especially in professional contexts, but also everywhere else.

If a number between 1 and 100 is chosen at random, it means to me that every number from 1 to 100 had an equal probability of being chosen.

If a shirt to wear is chosen at random, it means that every shirt had an equal probability of being chosen. If I chose a shirt to wear for some unspecified reason, some unknown or unclear reason or it struck my fancy at the moment, it does not mean that it was chosen at random.

If some woman came up to me and starting talking politics at the mall, it does not mean that it was some random woman.

Making a choice without some specified method or conscious decision does not make it a random choice.

An understanding of what random does and does not mean is an integral part of all inferential statistics that I use and deserves accurate use in many professional activities and in common and casual conversation. It is a very important concept and, as such, it should be treated as a reserved word. Instead, you can read dictionary definitions for the word that are explicitly wrong.

There is no reason to part from the accurate use of the word because it is somehow convenient or one does not know any better and, further, the rationalization of “you know what I mean” is particularly annoying because you don’t know what you mean.

So you are saying that the choices from your selection process do not have a uniform probability distribution they are not random?  Certainly limits whole books full of statistical tools.  And means that many natural processes are not random.  Things like Johnson noise.

In the case of the lady at the mall, DrG would not be the person choosing, she would be.
We know nothing of her process-------maybe she just fancies the Doc! ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: August 22, 2021, 02:53:01 pm »
I think you and I have a different concepts of what random means.

That seems to be the crux of it, yes.

Which is fine. But it seems to me that your peeve is based on your preferred meaning of the word, which is not the commonly understood meaning. Kind of like me complaining that everyone in the US calls the pavement a 'sidewalk'.

Back in the day, in Western Australia everybody called it a footpath"!

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1170 on: August 22, 2021, 04:12:42 pm »

Not to belabor this pet peeve of mine, but by way of further explanation… I have taken several undergraduate courses in statistics and I have taken several graduate courses in statistics. I have published many times in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, and as first author. I have used inferential statistics in virtually all of these publications and, at times, “fairly” sophisticated statistics (e.g., mixed model ANOVA where you specify the co-variance structure). I am not a statistician and I am not a mathematician. Furthermore, NONE of my prior studies and SME means that I am right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

It does, however, mean that I have a particular position/appreciation for what “random” means and a strong belief in what it should mean to others (not pointing any fingers here as I think that most here are far above the most egregious (IMO) violations).

My examples were not stellar and (as some noticed) were intended to communicate a contrast from my experiences/beliefs and some “common” and “popular”; and sometimes professional uses of the word. I have not changed at all how much this peeves me, but by now, I suppose, I should not be surprised or expect otherwise, yet I still am and still do.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1171 on: August 22, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »
Hot Snot is useful enough to keep a big electro from slopping about, or slicing the glue stick up & putting it inside large heatshrink as a substitute for self adhesive tubing (works a treat!).
Surprisingly, hot snot works exceptionally well to braze polypropylene; a plastic that is notorious to glue otherwise.  The hot snot kinda melts the polypropylene, so if you use just the right amount (experiment!), the polypropylene-hotsnot-polypropylene joint is very, very strong.

I heard of this when I was doing a cross belting for a chair seat, and found that a couple of screws to a metal frame are really not enough, and the chairs I was using as a model used lots of staples to wood instead, and was stumped on how to do this.  (Making a loop, using hot snot to glue/braze the surfaces together for an inch or two, works well.  I do suspect the hot snot glue stick does need to be a chemically compatible thermoplastic, though.  I dunno if there are sticks that won't work, or if all widely used ones are compatible.  I use the ones locally available for dirt cheap.)

[...]
My examples were not stellar and (as some noticed) were intended to communicate a contrast from my experiences/beliefs and some “common” and “popular”; and sometimes professional uses of the word. I have not changed at all how much this peeves me, but by now, I suppose, I should not be surprised or expect otherwise, yet I still am and still do.
While I kinda-sorta disagree (but I'm not a mathematician, just a dirty computational physicist and software developer), I know exactly how that feels.

In my youth, I spent a year as an all-around IT support and sysadmin person for a department in an Arts and Design university.  One day, I got my hands on a public "crib sheet" from the art department, describing terms like "volume", "gravity", and so on.  At the time, I had already an uni physics background, so the utter silliness and wrongness of these was just unreal to me.  I found it hilarious, it was so unreal.  As time passed, and I found out that most of the students and basically all of the professors insisted that theirs was the correct interpretation of the terms (and should be accepted even by physicists, because after all, these are the correct terms), it became sad and annoying to the extreme.  Because I was young, male, and without an university art background, my counterarguments were completely ignored.  After all, they were lecturers and professors in a leading university, so they were by default correct.

At the time, I still had my old skills intact to deal with that sort of stuff, so I shrugged and simply began to define the terms my own way when I perceived it likely the parties in the discussion might disagree or be unaware of the definition.  That worked very well in my later studies and onwards in my life.  But, as I grew older, even after over two decades, those definitions and their idiocy still bugs me.  Why did they just take an established term, and redefine it (so wrong!), instead of developing a new one?

Thing is, and this creeps into psychology and such squishy stuff I don't like much, by redefining the words people use you can manipulate the way they think.  When humans develop their language skills, they use the complex association of terms to automatically build those definitions; but such auto-definitions are very fuzzy in reality even if the person feels they know exactly what a term means.  By defining a term exactly, especially a term that has vaguely similar auto-definitions already, teaching a subject becomes much easier.  (This too is something most teachers do not realize, and simply do it because it works.)  The downside is that almost all teachers only consider the subject at hand, and not at all the other uses of that term, which causes all sorts of misunderstandings down the line.

As to art education, one of my pet peeves there was how the color theory was taught to the students.  Additive and subtractive color models were approached through how the effects were observed, and none of the physical attributes were described, possibly because the teachers had basically no physics understanding.  Understanding that human color perception is based on two different mechanisms: rod and cone cells, former providing low-light colorless information, and latter being sensitive to three sets of wavelengths (depending on the cone cell length, short, medium, and long); and their opponent processing in the brain.  Common problems in this combined process includes red-green color blindness for example.  An hour on this subject would explain exactly why natural light and specific-spectrum light like cheap fluorescent lights produce such completely different color perception in artwork; and also how additive and subtractive color models are the two sides of the exact same topic.

I don't know if the situation has gone better or worse in the last two decades, but I hope for the better; I dislike the idea of artists and art teachers believing light and color are magic that nobody understands.  You know, like magnets.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: August 22, 2021, 06:42:28 pm »
Hot melt glue is available in a very large range of types, in various compositions, and in various materials. Only thing they have in common is that you melt them in a chamber and then extrude it into a place to make the joint, and while are mostly a thermoplastic composition, there are a few which are thermoset material that will chemically react when heated to make a result that will not melt again once cooled.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: August 23, 2021, 07:05:50 am »

IMHO there is random in a mathematical/statistical sense and then there is "random" in a colloquial sense, meaning something along the lines of undefined/don't care/don't know. I don't really have a problem with this, there are many, many words in the English language that have multiple meanings depending on context.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: August 23, 2021, 07:15:11 am »
Pet Peeve...

Freaking hot melt, or as professionally known as hot snot!

Yes I understand it can be helpful and I too have used it...  BUT   there really needs to be a law or perhaps a world wide authority to oversee, train and issue permits to use hot snot...   In an appropriate, clean and purposeful way..  OH and there ought to be fines or imprisonment for individuals that show blatant disregard for such authority..

Just a thought.     ..oh I feel so much better that I've said this, very therapeutic really.

It is practically useless for actual gluing of things like even small pieces of wood, because the glue cools down rapidly & does not stick the parts together---------" Gorilla Snot" (contact cement) does a much better job.

Hot glue is fantastic stuff, when used appropriately. Adhesive is a complex topic, there is no one "best" adhesive, it is highly dependent on the materials you are attempting to bond, the environmental conditions they will be exposed to and other factors. Yes a lot of people use hot glue inappropriately, but a lot of people use superglue, or epoxy or silicone sealant or <insert glue here> incorrectly. Just recently I spent a good hour picking and scraping silicone caulking off a gasket that should have had a light coating of grease instead.

There are some materials that hot glue sticks to incredibly well, I've used it to repair foam model airplanes with good results although it's heavy so it must be used sparingly. Some kinds of plastic it adheres to very well and makes a durable repair. It's also great for tacking down loose wires, craft projects that involve gluing fabric, and things you want to be able to take apart later, you can heat the stuff up until it softens and adjust it as needed. There are even a number of different types of hot glue sticks suited to more specialized tasks. Of course if you try to use it for everything it will not work out well but that is true of any type of glue.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf