Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460239 times)

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1750 on: February 11, 2022, 04:44:46 am »
There was a village in Austria, called "Fucking"
That must also have been fun when ordering online from english speaking countries.

They now have changed their name to an older spelling: "Fugging", because too many tourists stole the signs  |O

They must have gotten tired of Oberfucking.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: February 11, 2022, 08:16:35 am »
Back when I worked at Microsoft a friend of mine was in the group that made whatever mapping software they were doing at the time and with great amusement he sent me a screenshot of a bug report titled "There is no Fucking Austria", apparently the whole village was missing off the map.

Well, since apparently some people have gotten their microsoft accounts blocked because some AI or something deemed their name offensive, i would not be surprised if MS automatically nixed Fucking from their maps. I wonder if they also removed "Ficken", a small Town in Germany, whose name translates to, well you may have guessed it: "Fucking"  :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1752 on: February 13, 2022, 02:08:44 pm »
Today's pet peeve:  "There is an update to the User Agreement"....

Many tech corporations in a monopoly or oligopoly market position frequently message you to inform you of their latest unilateral decision....  and you are given a choice between "Obey" or "F*k off".

If this is "user agreement",  what does "user coercion" look like??

The following users thanked this post: Gregg, james_s, HobGoblyn

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1753 on: February 13, 2022, 02:26:15 pm »
This reminded me of the guy that changed the terms of service of an unsolicited credit card sent to his house... And the bank accepted (without noticing, obviously).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russian-man-got-bank-sign-144810926.html
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, SilverSolder, james_s, RJSV

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1754 on: February 15, 2022, 07:29:09 pm »
When recommended footprint looks like it was drawn by a poorly taught junior ME (mechanical engineer).  This gem from C&K is for a small button, PTS840.  They use precise, odd values that don't divide by 2 nicely.  They don't measure to centers of pads.  They skew the holes by a ridiculously small amount.

Hole skew: x:0.025mm and y:0.075mm +-0.1mm.  The tolerance is bigger than the value!

Hole size 0.65mm +0.1mm / -0mm.  Could have said 0.7mm +/- 0.05mm.  Either way it requires half the tolerance that JLCPCB offers: +0.13mm / 0.08mm.

On top of this, they didn't make it clear where the edge of the button is, relative to the footprint.

Still doesn't take too long to sort it out but once I add the time to come here and complain about it, it's really eating up my time.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1755 on: February 15, 2022, 07:36:55 pm »
When recommended footprint looks like it was drawn by a poorly taught junior ME (mechanical engineer).  This gem from C&K is for a small button, PTS840.  They use precise, odd values that don't divide by 2 nicely.  They don't measure to centers of pads.  They skew the holes by a ridiculously small amount.

Hole skew: x:0.025mm and y:0.075mm +-0.1mm.  The tolerance is bigger than the value!

Hole size 0.65mm +0.1mm / -0mm.  Could have said 0.7mm +/- 0.05mm.  Either way it requires half the tolerance that JLCPCB offers: +0.13mm / 0.08mm.

On top of this, they didn't make it clear where the edge of the button is, relative to the footprint.

Still doesn't take too long to sort it out but once I add the time to come here and complain about it, it's really eating up my time.   :palm:

That sort of footprint diagram is maddening.  Tell me the dimensions of the pads/holes and where their centers are relative to some reasonable point such as the mechanical center of the part or something similar - don't force me to print out the datasheet, break out my calculator and figure that stuff out myself.  I've made up footprints for some connectors that had more horrific drawings than that, and would love to have reached through the screen and wrung the neck of whoever put them out.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, tooki, Kasper

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1756 on: February 23, 2022, 10:54:07 pm »
company's not having enough stock to meet the minimum order quantity,why if the minimum order quantity is 25,do you only have 23 in stock.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1757 on: February 23, 2022, 11:57:10 pm »
That's a good one :)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1758 on: February 24, 2022, 05:10:43 pm »
Assertions without anything to back them up.

There is zero utility in drive-by "That's wrong.  You're wrong." type of assertions.  They have no value, because they rely purely on the argument from authority fallacy, and cannot discussed on their merits, because there are none.  You either believe, or don't.  I don't like that sort of religiosity.

If this makes me a 'drama queen', so be it: I'll wear a pink tutu for the rest of my life before I accept that behaviour without pointing it out.

The following users thanked this post: Sceptre

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1759 on: February 24, 2022, 10:25:35 pm »
?
iratus parum formica

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1760 on: February 25, 2022, 06:29:16 am »
?
People mistake their own beliefs for facts.  If you claim someone is wrong, you need to back that up with logical reasoning, instead of just "That's wrong, because I say so".

Every time I try to explain something about physics here (with examples, explanations and links), I get hit by people who offer their unfounded beliefs as counterarguments.  "That's not true" and "That's wrong" are not counterarguments, they're assertions, and without any logical reasoning, a rational argument as to why one would believe so, they're assertions that have nothing to do with logic or science, and everything to do with personal beliefs: religiosity.  It is ridiculous.

A good, rational argument is always welcomed and fun.  "Debunking" something by saying "That's been debunked ages ago" is belief, not an argument.  Referring to a paper which redefines the phenomenon to something completely different and then shows that does not happen, has nothing to do with the original phenomena, and is a classic diversionary social gaming tactic.  Social gaming, and nothing to do with science, in other words.

Getting frustrated with this kind of non-argument on a topic which itself is interesting but unresolved (with models explaining how the physical phenomenon could occur, only about a decade old at this point), I get called a 'drama queen'.  (I should remember to keep away from subjects where believers will offer up their beliefs as unshakeable truths and will never argue anything rationally, really.)

I really don't understand how Dave can deal with this (irrationality, beliefs claimed as facts, negative-value assertions like "This is wrong!" without any basis or explanation, and so on) in the comment sections of his videos.  I get angry; he just laughs.  I wish I could just laugh, too.

The following users thanked this post: Sceptre

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1761 on: February 25, 2022, 06:49:47 am »
The sooner you choose to just step over the idiots in your life, the happier you will be.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: james_s, Nominal Animal, RJSV

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1762 on: February 25, 2022, 07:02:21 am »
company's not having enough stock to meet the minimum order quantity,why if the minimum order quantity is 25,do you only have 23 in stock.

I bet if you actually contacted them in that case they would sell you 23 of them. I'd guess the minimum quantity was set based on the assumption that they would always have adequate stock.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1763 on: February 25, 2022, 07:19:32 am »
I get called a 'drama queen'.

That was not only hit under the belt, but also really weird because you were just normally lecturing in the normal, positive manner, there was no fight about anything, and the only drama queen I did see in that thread was the one who used that word, literally out of nowhere.

Oh, but writing that it occurred to me what this means. It's just social manipulation; you were assigned the role of drama queen. The idea was to build that fight. After it's going, then they can start calling names, and no one bothers to check who started it; so you will become the drama queen, just because they said it, and in the context they created it makes sense. This process is also called "trolling". They just slipped out this "drama queen" thing a few posts too early, so it felt totally out-of-place. Social manipulators don't always succeed.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1764 on: February 25, 2022, 08:19:51 am »
The thing I love about discussions and arguments is the different viewpoints and approaches to the problem.  When it is the arguments that fight on their own merits, not the humans proposing the arguments.  (I especially love it when you can have a heated argument with someone, but stay friendly outside that argument.  Or, like Dave said in a recent video, that he has friends that have opinions he completely disagrees with.  Me too; I like that.)

Because of how the human mind works, it is either impossible or takes too much time to shift between viewpoints; this is why even the most brilliant minds in the world like to cooperate with each other.  The rest of us, like myself, can still participate and help via rational, logical arguments, no matter how simple.  I sometimes like to be the devil's advocate, too, proposing an argument I do not really endorse, just to see the underlying reasons others have for their opinions/understanding on the subject.  Those underlying reasons and experience is the valuable part, not the argument or opinion itself.  Even if I completely disagree with the opinion, I can still appreciate the underlying reasons and experiences that "built" the opinion.

Science and engineering are tools of the mind.  Science is a way to build models describing testable reality, and testing them, comparing them against the observed behaviour of the real world.  Engineering is using science and the scientific models, to build useful mechanisms and tools and things in the real world.  Both rely on the scientific method, which itself is based on making conjectures or tentative explanations, and comparing the predictions of that conjecture or explanation to observable behaviour.  Assertions are hypotheses devoid of explanation or model, and therefore utterly non-scientific.

(We do have axioms or postulates that cannot be verified, but these are things like "physical reality can be described and physical processes described using mathematical equations".  These have to be agreed upon explicitly, and assumed to be true, so that we can build knowledge upon them.  These are, therefore, only at the very core of things like maths and physics and chemistry.)

We have these wonderful tools of the mind; thousands of years, hundreds of generations in their making.  When we use them, discuss problems with each other, and suggest solutions and explanations, we can build utterly amazing stuff.  Just think of e.g. the Socratic method as an example.  In my opinion, the capability of having and using these tools are among the few truly admirable, beautiful features in all humans.

Consider, then, the frustration when you want to reach for that, but are constantly bogged down by social gaming and refusal to use logic or rational thought: the dismissal of the scientific method, and the reliance of logical fallacies like argument from authority, or assuming popularity correlates with quality or usability.  Chatting, instead of discussion, if you will.
I love to try and help if someone is struggling, but when humans refuse to use these amazing capabilities they have, apparently because it's too much effort or not as fun as playing social games, it is just heartbreaking.

Note that this has nothing to do with stupidity.  I know firsthand how it feels when one realizes someone else is so much smarter than oneself: like standing in the shadow of a huge granite monolith, and looking up; almost a dizzying sensation.  Can be hard on ones ego, too.  Dealing with stupidity is easier, as there is no malice or loss there; you just do what you can with what you have.  But refusal to use logic and rational thought, and instead just rely on beliefs or instincts, or playing social games?  That I cannot stomach.  It is depressing.

Apologies for the wall of text.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:23:32 am by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Sceptre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1765 on: February 26, 2022, 06:08:20 am »
"Since we're a hardware company, all of our engineering positions are 100% onsite."
I might have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night.  You're either idiots, or lying about the real motivation for the policy (e.g. boss doesn't trust the employees).

Note that I'm not referring to being onsite for bringup/integration/DVT etc., customer visits, classified work, or on-call for FPGA/FW/SW/production folks.  None of those, however, are 100% of the HW design/development cycle (even classified programs do not necessarily start with a classified design cycle).

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1766 on: February 26, 2022, 06:24:47 am »
"Since we're a hardware company, all of our engineering positions are 100% onsite."
I might have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night.  You're either idiots, or lying about the real motivation for the policy (e.g. boss doesn't trust the employees).

Note that I'm not referring to being onsite for bringup/integration/DVT etc., customer visits, classified work, or on-call for FPGA/FW/SW/production folks.  None of those, however, are 100% of the HW design/development cycle (even classified programs do not necessarily start with a classified design cycle).

Nice pet peeve.  :-+
iratus parum formica

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1767 on: February 26, 2022, 12:29:32 pm »

One of the reasons I have seen for this policy is in companies that put out crap products and overworked their people to put out constant fires. Mind you, this was in another era where no remote work happened and jobs were scarce (thus very few people actually left), but I can clearly see this happening in today's day and age.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1768 on: February 26, 2022, 08:26:47 pm »
...Just some additional comment: The (January 15 'ish) discussion around 'American speech patterns':
(eti, SilverSolder vk6zgo, thanks), the pet peeve around the WEATHER DIALOG, saying "Right now, it's 70 degrees."
I think you've missed a fine subtle aspect of some different (language type), than yours.
The 'subtle' communication, you've missed, is that the phrase 'right now's can often be a valid structural element, in that, soon, the speaker might be talking about FUTURE conditions; rain tomorrow, etc.
..."But, for now, it's 70 degrees, and no rain forecast, over the next, 12 hours"...That sort of present-past in same sentence.
THATS WHAT WEATHER STATIONS DO, by the way...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1769 on: February 26, 2022, 08:29:44 pm »
(so I guess THAT was my Pet Peeve).

Offline Sceptre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1770 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:39 am »

One of the reasons I have seen for this policy is in companies that put out crap products and overworked their people to put out constant fires. Mind you, this was in another era where no remote work happened and jobs were scarce (thus very few people actually left), but I can clearly see this happening in today's day and age.
Yep - incompetent/malevolent managers fomenting perpetual crises.  There's also the arrogant exceptionalism wheeze ("Our market/products/technology/culture are unique, therefore we require these policies") and magical thinking around the effects of face-to-face interaction on innovation/collaboration/productivity.

I recently saw a job description where the company touted their penchant for turning Monday's idea into Thursday's quick-turn PCB, assembled in time for Friday bench testing.   I should have scored an interview just to ask them how they managed to get all their good ideas on Mondays.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1771 on: February 28, 2022, 05:54:55 am »
"Yep - incompetent/malevolent managers fomenting perpetual crises."

I have worked for managers whose entire skill set was exactly that: Intentionally fomenting crises which they could then be seen as solving. Come to think of it, this concisely describes most politicians too.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Nominal Animal

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #1772 on: February 28, 2022, 10:30:53 am »
I recently saw a job description where the company touted their penchant for turning Monday's idea into Thursday's quick-turn PCB, assembled in time for Friday bench testing.   I should have scored an interview just to ask them how they managed to get all their good ideas on Mondays.
Who said they had all their good ideas on Monday. They could well have had a bad idea on Monday but wouldn't find that out until they started testing the assembled PCB on Friday. They would then have to wait until next Monday before they could come up with a new good idea instead, having wasted a week progressing a bad idea.

A similar situation occurred at one firm I was doing contract work for. They were doing a major new design and management decided that they should to do a board spin every week regardless of whether they had properly tested and corrected the previous week's spin. They got into a terrible mess as there wasn't sufficient time to build and properly test the complex PCB in a week. As a result they spent most of their time constantly updating schematics and producing new PCB versions where the previous version hadn't been tested properly thus propagating errors through several versions. This took an enormous amount of engineering time testing and redesigning multiple PCB versions. All told it took more than 20 spins of the PCB to get it production ready.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1773 on: February 28, 2022, 05:50:52 pm »
[...]

One way to have good ideas 'on Mondays' is to spend all weekend thinking about work.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1774 on: March 01, 2022, 02:26:22 am »

I bet if you actually contacted them in that case they would sell you 23 of them. I'd guess the minimum quantity was set based on the assumption that they would always have adequate stock.

They might even have opened the box already and willing to sell anything upto 23 of these items. I think a phone call would work best for cases like this. Just ask them for the quantity you need.
goto considered awesome!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf