Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460250 times)

Offline AaronD

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2225 on: September 16, 2022, 04:31:55 pm »
If you think about it, even the phase of our local clocks is all wrong.  I mean, a normal day starts at around 6-9, midday is at 12 and immediately wraps down to 1, with evening starting at around 5 or so –– but with some variation depending on whether you have siesta or similar or not.

Why isn't 12 at the bottom, instead?  Then the day would change around when people start waking up for the new day, and the first turn of the clock is the typical wakefullness time ("day"), and the second turn the typical sleep time ("night"), say corresponding to when the sun is visible on the equator at that latitude or time zone.

My pet peeve isn't the clock, though.  It's my own frigging mind, which finds these kinds of things to wonder about, all the time.  And it annoys me to no end.  I know there is an interesting long history behind it, some of it lost, some of it very obscure, and anyway it is one of those 'culture' things you grow into and cannot really change.  I'd rather wonder about some useful stuff instead.

Jewish tradition starts the next day at sunset.  Possibly for the same reason.
(this also gives a clearly visible and fair "progress bar" of sorts, until no one is allowed to work on the Sabbath)

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2226 on: September 16, 2022, 04:49:02 pm »
If you think about it, even the phase of our local clocks is all wrong.  I mean, a normal day starts at around 6-9, midday is at 12 and immediately wraps down to 1, with evening starting at around 5 or so –– but with some variation depending on whether you have siesta or similar or not.

Why isn't 12 at the bottom, instead?  Then the day would change around when people start waking up for the new day, and the first turn of the clock is the typical wakefullness time ("day"), and the second turn the typical sleep time ("night"), say corresponding to when the sun is visible on the equator at that latitude or time zone.

My pet peeve isn't the clock, though.  It's my own frigging mind, which finds these kinds of things to wonder about, all the time.  And it annoys me to no end.  I know there is an interesting long history behind it, some of it lost, some of it very obscure, and anyway it is one of those 'culture' things you grow into and cannot really change.  I'd rather wonder about some useful stuff instead.

Jewish tradition starts the next day at sunset.  Possibly for the same reason.
(this also gives a clearly visible and fair "progress bar" of sorts, until no one is allowed to work on the Sabbath)
its a copyright© and intellectual property issue.
1 In the beginning God created the heavens† and the earth†. so do not forget
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2227 on: September 17, 2022, 01:51:58 am »
Have a look at "ring terminal high temp"

Might have to cut the slot.  :-\
I tried to do this on some modern ring units (never tried the "high temp" variant), but it gives the impression the material gets somewhat weaker with the plier cut.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2228 on: September 17, 2022, 01:58:38 am »
Back in my first job, we sold the first type as "spade connectors", so that is what I think of when I hear the term.
I did not know these were called spade connectors. Thanks!

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2229 on: September 17, 2022, 02:04:53 am »
If you look at it afresh, the bottom one is simply the top one with extra material at the ends to prevent a point occurring. It looks like it has less material overall because the hole is larger compared to the full width, but the top one with the same size hole would have less material.
It might not have less material, but it is misplaced on its ends. To me it fails to fully encompass the area of the screw head, where it would have the practical advantage of reducing the ohmic resistance.

Versus:

If I need to get a complete area coverage I need a larger spade, but then the wire gauge has to increase as well.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 02:07:54 am by rsjsouza »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2230 on: September 17, 2022, 02:52:01 am »
If I need to get a complete area coverage I need a
Ring,not a spade

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2231 on: September 17, 2022, 03:40:46 am »
Ring,not a spade

I think he's saying he wants a bigger fork. (who doesn't !?!?)

There are fork, ring and spade.
iratus parum formica

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2232 on: September 17, 2022, 10:41:34 am »
Ring,not a spade
A ring unfortunately is fully enclosed, which does not work on captive screws.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2233 on: September 22, 2022, 02:27:48 am »
I am hearing this nonsense more and more this year starting from solar panel inverters and especially for things that don't need broadband.

I feel like having a right scream and shout at the next person who tells me in person:
"To do this, you need an app on your pc/phone whatever" "first you need to create a account 'on the cloud':bullshit:, sign in, download an app, sign into that, do this and that, enter your location... " Internal thought: F*** off. I am not going to. You can forget it.

Restaurant... Peel  this sticker and win this prize.
Okay I look at it to find, "need to download "the app", and registration... name, phone number, address and proof of identity... etc"
Internal thought: Rubbish. What waste time reading it in the first place.

Television adverts: It's all free and easy, all you need is to download "app" register your name and address  blah blah blah.
Internal though: It's easier and much more free not to do anything.

Youtube advert yesterday: "Smiley lady: Businesses are moving to the cloud...."
Joke: If they are physically moving to the cloud then that is impossible because there is nothing in the sky up there to support them and that speaks for access to their data and use if they have no infrastructure in house and find they need it one day.

Anybody noticing an increase in this nonsense?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 02:31:51 am by MrMobodies »

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2234 on: September 22, 2022, 04:10:42 am »
It's the default today for sure. I too don't run hordes of apps. I'm hoping there will be a backlash of sorts eventually where folks just get tired of the nonsense.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2235 on: September 22, 2022, 04:26:37 am »
A lot of HP printers and multifunction devices now need a cloud account, something they call HP+ and once you set it up on a printer you can't go back. It locks the printer into using genuine ink/toner only and has an ink subscription service. I like my HP printer that came out prior to this nonsense but I will never buy another one.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2236 on: September 22, 2022, 06:14:01 am »
It's the default today for sure. I too don't run hordes of apps. I'm hoping there will be a backlash of sorts eventually where folks just get tired of the nonsense.

I'm afraid that many business model is build on only more and more of this. The smartphone is becoming your everything. The only thing you need to carry on your body to go through life. All your plastic can go into it, because for every card you have in your wallet there will be an app eventually. Payment with it already starting to increase.

I hope the plastic debit/credit card lasts long enough for me, not to have to switch to this smartphone solution, because I fear the day that I'm forced to take that route.

All your shit in one device without some easy fallback when it is stolen. I rather carry things spread over my pockets to not have all my eggs in one basket.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2237 on: September 22, 2022, 06:15:27 am »
Youtube advert yesterday: "Smiley lady: Businesses are moving to the cloud...."
Joke: If they are physically moving to the cloud then that is impossible because there is nothing in the sky up there to support them and that speaks for access to their data and use if they have no infrastructure in house and find they need it one day.

Is that not where we all go in the end? You know that sweet place in the clouds  :-DD

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2238 on: September 22, 2022, 07:52:55 pm »
Yes but they are not holding me or my things to ransom.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2239 on: September 22, 2022, 10:23:41 pm »
*A lot of HP printers and multifunction devices now need a cloud account, something they call HP+ and once you set it up on a printer you can't go back. It locks the printer into using genuine ink/toner only and has an ink subscription service. I like my HP printer that came out prior to this nonsense but I will never buy another one.

I heard about the HP subscription thing after complaints of not being able to print when loosing connection but thought you could opt out.

*I find that very disturbing.

All I need, basic print driver and network scan to folder function that supports jpg and pdf.

That is all I need, it is simple, it is quick, it works and not dependent on anything outside a bit like with some previous printers I had over a decade ago where some of buttons relied on this bit of software that sometimes didn't always work or registered it's presence to the printer.

I have a HP8620 from 2015, for £150, ink has gone up so I use compatibles but continues to works brilliantly.

If I buy a printer and find it needs broadband in order to work I will return it to the shop and make a complaint.
The STUPIDITY!

I suppose if it says it on the box I wouldn't buy it but I can imagine that being left out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:32:01 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2240 on: September 22, 2022, 10:31:07 pm »
I heard about the HP subscription thing after complaints of not being able to print when loosing connection but thought you could opt out.

I find that very disturbing.

All I need, basic print driver and network scan to folder function that supports jpg and pdf.

That is all I need, it is simple, it is quick, it works and not dependent on anything outside a bit like with some previous printers I had over a decade ago where some of buttons relied on this bit of software that sometimes didn't always work or registered it's presence to the printer.

I have a HP8620 from 2015, for £150, ink has gone up so I use compatibles but continues to works brilliantly.

If I buy a printer and find it needs broadband in order to work I will return it to the shop and make a complaint.
The STUPIDITY!

I suppose if it says it on the box I wouldn't buy it but I can imagine that being left out.

Apparently you can opt out, at least with most of them, but if you happen to opt in during setup you are stuck. Either way it's enough to keep me from ever buying one. It's bad enough that my HP printer driver has been nagging me for a year that the black toner is low, I found a new OEM one for a good price on ebay some time back but as long as it keeps printing perfectly I'm not going to change it.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2241 on: September 22, 2022, 10:33:04 pm »
Aaah so it is a glitch it is not intentional.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2242 on: September 22, 2022, 10:40:01 pm »
Which is? Making it opt into the HP+ thing that then traps you and forces you to use OEM ink/toner is absolutely intentional.

The low toner nag is also intentional I'm sure, they want you to buy a new cartridge. Printer manufactures have started using the razor blade business model, sell the printer at cost or at a loss then try to make it up with overpriced consumables.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, MrMobodies

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2243 on: September 22, 2022, 11:50:15 pm »
Printer manufactures have started using the razor blade business model,
Started? they been at it for years.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2244 on: September 23, 2022, 08:55:57 am »
Google phone pushing things down my throat. BECAUSE it's become a necessity, (and if I don't like it..
...I can always go to Apple phone, at what, $1800 !)
  Today, phone has been placing (ie 'pushing') PayPal account creation (APP), and now, seems to have installed (PayPal), simply because my hand 'slipped' across the screen (I had dropped / fumbled).
Then, no PayPal Icon, (as if APP was installed, so message disappeared).
   Lol, someone should tip off NY Attorney General, apparently interested in 'consumer' rights and financial fraud.
   Bought the book, Android for Dummies...useless chock full of advertisements.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2245 on: September 23, 2022, 09:03:44 am »
...(continued)...
   Oh and I have a 'REVERSE Pet Peeve',
That is; Those complaints of mine,  about Google, PayPal, get me into a 'whine'-y reputation, maybe complains about literally everything...
   It's maybe an old-school thing, but I feel cornered, on the whole Google dynamic...or should I say 'inescapable' dynamic.  (Monopoly doesn't have to please the customers).

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2246 on: September 23, 2022, 12:08:28 pm »
I bought a "smart" phone a while back. It's probably the stupidest piece of garbage I've ever owned. As an example, when charging and it reaches 100% it pops up a message saying something like "Charging at low rate check cable" instead of "Charging complete". If I can find a decent 4G normal phone, the "smart" one is going in the trash.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2247 on: September 25, 2022, 12:46:17 pm »
Printer manufactures have started using the razor blade business model,
Started? they been at it for years.
Indeed.

If anything, they’re finally starting to tiptoe away from that business model, in the bulk-ink inkjets (Epson EcoTank, Canon MegaTank, etc). You’re paying double up front for the printer, but in return the consumables are practically free.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2248 on: September 25, 2022, 01:02:42 pm »
Aaah so it is a glitch it is not intentional.
No, it was very, VERY intentional.

There are numerous models released before HP+ which were then re-released, with an “e” tacked onto the model number, for HP+. What’d that do? It moved previously free app features into subscription-only HP+ features, and (at least here in Europe) moved the free-on-registration second and third year of warranty into HP+. And you get 6 months of free “instant ink” subscription. (Instant Ink has been around for years and doesn’t require HP+, and is actually a good deal for people who print lots of ink-heavy pages like photos.)

In return for those perks, you permanently rule out third party ink and refills, and must leave the printer connected to the internet at all times.

Now, on the HP inkjets with the “e”, HP+ is optional: on setup, you choose whether you want it or not, and that’s burned into the printer’s firmware.

But on the HP laser printers with the “e”, HP+ is mandatory. If you don’t want it, you need to buy the more expensive version without the “e”.

The following users thanked this post: djadeski

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2249 on: September 25, 2022, 01:10:15 pm »
Google phone pushing things down my throat. BECAUSE it's become a necessity, (and if I don't like it..
...I can always go to Apple phone, at what, $1800 !)
Why the hyperbole? The absolutely most expensive iPhone configuration (14 Pro Max with 1TB storage) is $1600, and that’s just because of the 1TB, which you only need if you plan to use it to film lots of 4K video. A more typical 256 or 512GB are $1200 and $1400, resp. But if you don’t want the Max’s gigantic size and don’t need pro features, you can get a standard 14 from $800 or an SE from $430. They’re really no more expensive than other high-end smartphones, and you get a lot more life out of them thanks to loooong OS support.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf