Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460234 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2350 on: November 01, 2022, 10:14:50 am »
So I had a 'revelation' today.  ;)

A few pages back in this thread, I participated in a m.2 compatibility rant.

Tomorrow I had planned to hit my computer shop and take the controller, the m.2 sticks and not leave until I found something that works.

I pulled the spec sheet for my WD drives and the info on the usb -> m.2 ctlr. I read the info again. It should work... So I plugged it in and...well  :palm:

What a difference having a modern kernel makes. The new one is LTS like the old one was but the new one speaks to m.2 controllers apparently.

In 20 years, I've never needed to have a new kernel to get hardware to work. With my stuff I'm the one usually yelling at the kernel devs and others to "put that back!"

::)
iratus parum formica

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2351 on: November 01, 2022, 11:04:30 am »
I would love to profess puzzlement about m.2 since it Just Works on Windows. But Microsoft deemed that stuff too modern for W7 and pulled the drivers. Kind of the reverse of your experience!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2352 on: November 01, 2022, 11:12:43 am »
I would love to profess puzzlement about m.2 since it Just Works on Windows. But Microsoft deemed that stuff too modern for W7 and pulled the drivers. Kind of the reverse of your experience!

USB implementation on win9x was painful. Sorry for reminding those who remember.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2353 on: November 01, 2022, 02:33:00 pm »
What's this about M.2 not working on Win7? My primary workstation has Win7 *booting* from an M.2 drive, plus additional storage in a second M.2 on the motherboard.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2354 on: November 01, 2022, 03:10:32 pm »
That's not exclusive to LiPo's. APC UPS's regularly stress their AGM batteries to the point that their expansion makes removal by normal means impossible. I've lost count of how many APC rack enclosures I've had to almost completely disassemble to remove AGM's that were just 12 months old (regularly scheduled replacement). I never bothered to study the voltages they applied to them but they cannot have been very "smart" no matter what label was on the front cover. Chargers/maintainers like Battery Tenders, etc. have never done this in my decades of experience.
That has been going on for decades already. Likely APC makes more money on their batteries than their UPSs. A shame really. IMHO the electronics are decent except for the charging circuitry.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2355 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:28 pm »
What's this about M.2 not working on Win7? My primary workstation has Win7 *booting* from an M.2 drive, plus additional storage in a second M.2 on the motherboard.
M.2 is just the connector. There are M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives available, and Windows 7 cannot handle the latter as a boot device. It can boot from a M.2 SATA drives without problems though, and should also be able to handle NVMe drives as simple storage volumes.
Though as far as i know there are third party drivers available to enable NVMe boot support on Windows 7.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2356 on: November 01, 2022, 03:44:06 pm »
M.2 is just the connector. There are M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives available, and Windows 7 cannot handle the latter as a boot device. It can boot from a M.2 SATA drives without problems though, and should also be able to handle NVMe drives as simple storage volumes.
Though as far as i know there are third party drivers available to enable NVMe boot support on Windows 7.

But don't the SBC with ARM SOCs use the NVMe drives? Seems nuts.
iratus parum formica

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2357 on: November 01, 2022, 06:48:44 pm »
M.2 is just the connector. There are M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives available, and Windows 7 cannot handle the latter as a boot device.
Both of my M.2's are running as MVMe and Win7 is booting from the first one. It's been a while so I can't remember if I had to find third-party drivers for it, but it's definitely working. This message is being typed on it, in fact.

More: Just looked back at my notes. They are Samsung M.2's and indeed, I downloaded Samsung's own NVMe driver for Win7. Has been working great since July 2021, so here's a tested technique if anyone is interested.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2358 on: November 01, 2022, 07:10:07 pm »

Mine too, but I had to go looking for the driver from somwhere that Microsoft hadn't erased it. If you have an M.2 drive before they did that you'd be OK.

Edit: I am talking NVME. I think SATA are different in a big way (like very much the same as pukka SATA).

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2359 on: November 01, 2022, 07:32:49 pm »
But don't the SBC with ARM SOCs use the NVMe drives? Seems nuts.
Some use NVMe, some use SATA.  Many use eMMC.  Some cannot boot off such media at all, and require booting off an SD card.  In the Linux world, it fortunately only means you have to put your /boot (including initrds) on SD-card, but can keep everything else on proper storage.  You can also keep /boot mounted read-only, and only remount it read-write when updating the kernel.  Dunno about the Windows world on ARMs, though.

Edit: I am talking NVME. I think SATA are different in a big way (like very much the same as pukka SATA).
Yes, NVMe and SATA are wildly different.

The illustration in the Wikipedia M.2 article is informative:

M.2 connector is keyed (with B, M, or B and M keys). M key is used for for NVMe/PCIe, and B is for SATA, when considering SSD.

The M.2 connector is also widely used for 4G/5G/LTE WAN modules, where only the USB and the SIM card pins are used.  And also for things like Sparkfun MicroMod, as the connector between microcontroller modules and carrier boards, with custom pinouts.  If you are looking to buy DIY'able or older stuff, note that M.2 was previously known as NGFF.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2360 on: November 01, 2022, 10:03:37 pm »
Of course we're a species, Homo Sapiens.

"Species" implies we are ANIMALS, and we are not. GOD made us above the animals.

This is a technical forum, so any reference is based on science, in this case we are talking about biology. Biologically man is classified as an animal end of. Religion has no baring here.

Since God created literally everything, including the laws of physics, and Science, existence, itself, et cetera, I’m not sure how you were able to isolate them.

I can isolate you though!

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2361 on: November 01, 2022, 10:29:15 pm »
   Technology back-tracking drives me nuts;
   Used to be, (the old man said), used to be you would turn on a radio, and that was it.  No drop-outs, no spying on neighbor's wifi.
   Today, I fumble with (Anoidra)...ok it's an Android piece of cap.s.  As I fumble around, attaching charger and headphones, the little screen flashes:
   "Contacts list is using BATTERY."
...WHAT...THE...???
The smart phone, was $85 roughly, (drug store product).  Am/ Fm RADIO was $19 a decade ago.  But you can't get it, at least not at local retail outlets.
That wouldn't be so bad, if..eewww: DROPOUTS!

I get at least 5 dropouts soon after the radio talk show gets downloaded, correctly, and without the usual numerous false starts to loading and playing.
(I think it's 'Iheart' talk radio server).  At any rate, suspicion is, that's ffft up by design;
   GET THE APP,...(stupid).
  Old days, you'd turn radio on. End of drama.

I even took it to second level;
Purchased 'ANDROID FR DUMMIES'...
   What was I thinking ? That book is just chocka fulla ADVERTISEMENTS, for more adnoid crap.
   Now, we all get to have an AI assigned to us, like some boring old 1965 SPY NOVEL.

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2362 on: November 01, 2022, 10:53:32 pm »
Of course we're a species, Homo Sapiens.

"Species" implies we are ANIMALS, and we are not. GOD made us above the animals.
Just for the record, I also happen to believe that God created everything good around us.
However...
I started this pet peeve thread.
I check it out with interest every day.
I don’t want to see it locked because of something you say.
You are welcome to start your own thread and get it locked, and if you persist, to get yourself banned.
And for an appropriate irony, there is “a time to be silent and a time to speak” Ecclesiastes 3:7

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2363 on: November 02, 2022, 12:15:08 am »
Whomever and however we all got here, from my perspective there's a set of rules (which we call physics) and we are all living within those rules while we simultaneously learn more about them.

In my opinion, we can all get along and enjoy the game while having different opinions of how the game and its rules originated. I hope everyone around me feels the same.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, SilverSolder, Ranayna, james_s

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2364 on: November 02, 2022, 01:55:34 am »
I dislike that as well (I think I mentioned somewhere here how modern TVs and vacuum tube ones have the same turn on delays) - however, I think the issue in your particular case is:

The smart phone, was $85 roughly, (drug store product).

In this case I don't think it is a backtrack, this smartphone never reached the track in the first place. :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: james_s, RJSV

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2365 on: November 02, 2022, 02:06:37 am »
Whomever and however we all got here, from my perspective there's a set of rules (which we call physics) and we are all living within those rules while we simultaneously learn more about them.

In my opinion, we can all get along and enjoy the game while having different opinions of how the game and its rules originated. I hope everyone around me feels the same.

Yes I don't really feel that the origin is all that important in this context. Regardless of who or what created us, it's pretty clear to me that humans and other animals, especially mammals, are all built from the same basic plan and have a lot more in common than not. There was life on earth long before humans and I am quite confident there will be life on earth long after we've gone extinct. It's a humbling thought that the entirety of human existence is a tiny blip in the history of our planet.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2366 on: November 02, 2022, 04:02:52 am »
There was life on earth long before humans and I am quite confident there will be life on earth long after we've gone extinct. It's a humbling thought that the entirety of human existence is a tiny blip in the history of our planet.
History is on your side, BUT humans are different from all other lifeforms, past and present, in one important respect: We can change our environment. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse! But the point is that while all other lifeforms primarily react to their environment, we have learned to manipulate it. We also have learned about technology. So theoretically, while it is possible our species may simply run its course like all others before us, we actually possess the ability to prevent our own demise. Maybe on this planet, maybe on another celestial body, but so far we alone have the ability to proactively survive otherwise species-extinguishing events. No idea if that will really happen but it's definitely a discontinuity in historical terms.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2367 on: November 02, 2022, 04:51:41 am »
There was life on earth long before humans and I am quite confident there will be life on earth long after we've gone extinct. It's a humbling thought that the entirety of human existence is a tiny blip in the history of our planet.
History is on your side, BUT humans are different from all other lifeforms, past and present, in one important respect: We can change our environment. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse! But the point is that while all other lifeforms primarily react to their environment, we have learned to manipulate it. We also have learned about technology. So theoretically, while it is possible our species may simply run its course like all others before us, we actually possess the ability to prevent our own demise. Maybe on this planet, maybe on another celestial body, but so far we alone have the ability to proactively survive otherwise species-extinguishing events. No idea if that will really happen but it's definitely a discontinuity in historical terms.

While we are perhaps the first species to use technology on the planet, we are certainly not the first to change the environment.  Most radically the oxygen generating algae filled the atmosphere with what was a deadly poison to most then extent life.  But life carried on, including survivors of the earlier area living in protected nooks and crannies of the current environment.  The have been other species (or at least types of organisms, while it starts with a single species the change usually occurs as many species of the type develop) that have completely changed life on earth as it was previously known.  Flowering plants and grasses are two examples.  It is hubris to assume that we are unique in having negative effects on those around us, hubris to assume that we can and will end all life and unfortunately also hubris to assume we can't or won't.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2368 on: November 02, 2022, 04:57:23 am »

That is true, but humans are quite self destructive, I suspect we will wipe ourselves out in a series of wars over various resources that get scarcer and scarcer. That or some new disease will come along that makes Covid look like the common cold. Or an extinction level collision with a large asteroid that leaves nothing but buried microbes. I think it's highly unlikely that we will ever colonize space, we are just too far away from anywhere that could possibly contain a habitable planet and if we did find one it's extremely unlikely that a colony would survive long enough to take hold.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2369 on: November 02, 2022, 05:33:07 am »
I dislike that as well (I think I mentioned somewhere here how modern TVs and vacuum tube ones have the same turn on delays)

One of my computer monitors, when I change the input source (to another source with exactly the same type of output) or when the computer boots with 4 different resolutions, each one takes sooo long to appear.

When TVs had a rotary dial, you only had to wait up to a maximum of 1 frame for the vsync to lock. Or at least start to lock.  :rant:
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2370 on: November 02, 2022, 06:15:24 am »
When TVs had a rotary dial, you only had to wait up to a maximum of 1 frame for the vsync to lock. Or at least start to lock.  :rant:

The sluggish tuning on modern TVs makes them completely unusable in my opinion, flipping through channels is absolutely painful. Of course by the time that happened I had already given up on broadcast TV after every channel started superimposing a logo permanently in the corner obstructing a bit of the content. Maybe it reduces piracy, I don't know. I mean it does prevent me from pirating it, but only because it reduces the value of the content to zero, I don't want it even for free.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2371 on: November 02, 2022, 06:48:49 am »
... broadcast TV after every channel started superimposing a logo permanently in the corner obstructing a bit of the content. Maybe it reduces piracy, I don't know. I mean it does prevent me from pirating it, but only because it reduces the value of the content to zero, I don't want it even for free.

It was handy for bulk 'tuning-in'. The TV or VCR had 12 channels, each one had a tiny wheel tuner where you had to go through and find the right channel to set it to. Yuk.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2372 on: November 02, 2022, 11:01:03 am »
I dislike that as well (I think I mentioned somewhere here how modern TVs and vacuum tube ones have the same turn on delays)

One of my computer monitors, when I change the input source (to another source with exactly the same type of output) or when the computer boots with 4 different resolutions, each one takes sooo long to appear.

Hehehe... Indeed the "analog processors" of the time had much faster reaction times, although over the years of service such operation had to be followed with the occasional slap on the side to tidy the electrons up.  ;D

After a few years the "digital" gang switch TVs had taken place with no loss of "processing speed" - a great advance IMO. My brother even found a way to remote control it: he would throw a pillow at the gang switch and change the channel. He claims it was effective, but I never did a tally on the success rate.  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2373 on: November 02, 2022, 05:46:57 pm »
It was handy for bulk 'tuning-in'. The TV or VCR had 12 channels, each one had a tiny wheel tuner where you had to go through and find the right channel to set it to. Yuk.
Early VCRs had those too, hidden under a flap that needed a coin to crack it open. Then someone invented auto tuning, which was a whole new circle of pain for people who didn't have access to a teenager. Tuning TV's and radios was a skill we all had as kids; especially knowing where on the radio dial the pop stations were. Back then we needed just two knobs; tune and volume.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2374 on: November 02, 2022, 06:25:49 pm »
If you had three knobs, the third one was "Tone". Zero standardization from brand to brand, or even model to model, about what it did to the frequency response.

The "really high end" units got separate Treble and Bass. Those were the days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf