Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059406 times)

Offline EPLan

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1200 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:56 pm »
Here you go:
http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

Use option code DSEF. Do not use DSFR or DSBA - 500uV Vertical as this does not work and causes problems with the scope.

I've just got one of these scopes(same software/hardware revisions as Vostro) and have some questions...the poster you replied to referenced another post that used the code DSER to unlock everything except 500uV Vertical, you are suggesting using the code DSEF to do the same - does it matter which code is used(different licence keys generated), how/why are you using different codes to each other?

Second question is how does this affect the warranty? And if it affects it negatively is it possible to revert back to the original firmware/remove the feature keys?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #1201 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »
Oops, sorry, DSER is correct :-[

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1202 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:59 pm »
Some people actually think this is a marketing tactic by Rigol now.

I'm pretty sure it is.

You can ask on any forum and they'll tell you to buy a DS1054Z.

If they had to buy that much publicity and word-of-mouth recommendations? I don't think they could.

But the scarcity of the 'scopes for actual purchase ... what's the deal with that?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: March 20, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »
Second question is how does this affect the warranty? And if it affects it negatively is it possible to revert back to the original firmware/remove the feature keys?

a) Don't know
b) Yes

Offline austingeorge

« Reply #1204 on: March 21, 2015, 07:22:29 am »
Hi All,

Has anyone who has opened their DS1054Z noted the fan size?
I'll be opening mine up to change it as its pretty loud, and don't want to circumvent the warranty sticker more than once if I have to.

Many thanks,
Austin  :)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1205 on: March 21, 2015, 07:37:28 am »
But the scarcity of the 'scopes for actual purchase ... what's the deal with that?

It could genuinely be the difficulty of ramping up production, exacerbated by delays due to the port strikes in the US. Maintaining quality control and increasing production takes time.

However, I would also not be surprised if it's a way to make those in a hurry purchase a more expensive version of the same scope which is in stock. Remember, before the DS1054Z came along it was the DS1074Z that was the generally accepted hot scope in town. Have to say, they could easily have added on $50 to the DS1054Z and they'd still have sold just about as many, and made a significantly healthier margin with it.

Offline MAS3

• Contributor
« Reply #1206 on: March 21, 2015, 01:59:41 pm »
... and don't want to circumvent the warranty sticker more than once if I have to.

OK, that's up to you.
Does the warranty sticker have some indication that shows how often it has been breached ?
Or: who's going to know (or care) how many times it has been opened if once is already too much ?

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1207 on: March 21, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »
Artificial scarcity to make people who cannot afford to be back-ordered for weeks pony up for the DS1074Z, DS2072A or other models in the $600-1000 range.

It could genuinely be the difficulty of ramping up production
The DS1054Z is exactly the same scope as all the other DS1xxxZ, so the production should be fairly well sorted out by now. Well, exactly the same except for the stickers with the model number on it.

OK, that's up to you.
Does the warranty sticker have some indication that shows how often it has been breached ?
Or: who's going to know (or care) how many times it has been opened if once is already too much ?
I think he meant the waxed paper trick to remove warranty seals without breaking them. If I did that, I would simply leave the sticker on the waxed paper and only re-apply it if I need to send the scope back for warranty. Once the seal is broken, it is broken and usually quite obvious.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1208 on: March 21, 2015, 02:30:24 pm »
I think he meant the waxed paper trick to remove warranty seals without breaking them. If I did that, I would simply leave the sticker on the waxed paper and only re-apply it if I need to send the scope back for warranty. Once the seal is broken, it is broken and usually quite obvious.

You mean the hairdryer trick? Does that work on Rigols? I've been wondering how to get at the noisy fan without voiding the warranty.

On the same subject: Where do I get a good, quiet fan...?

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1209 on: March 21, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
You mean the hairdryer trick? Does that work on Rigols? I've been wondering how to get at the noisy fan without voiding the warranty.

Yes it does.  I used a heat gun from several inches away and the sticker came off without me even having to touch it.

On the same subject: Where do I get a good, quiet fan...?

I replaced the fan in my 1054z with this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352002&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

You'll need to modify the connector to a 2-pin one.  It has somewhat less air flow -- still  more than enough for this scope -- but  it's incredibly quiet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:40:39 pm by kwass »
-katie

Offline MAS3

• Contributor
« Reply #1210 on: March 21, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
Well, that answers austingeorges question:

It's a 50mm x 50mm fan.
Bonus: It has a 2 wire connector.

Offline LightlyDoped

• Contributor
« Reply #1211 on: March 21, 2015, 04:33:24 pm »

There are instructions posted about how to remove the installed options, but I can't see how one would do that in all instances, e.g., where the scope can't boot in the first place. As others have stated, the laws on warranties vary depending upon where you live. But since Rigol seems to be aware of the prevalence of (and arguably even aquiescing in) installing the options without paying the fairly exorbitant price, they would have a hard time rejecting a warranty claim for a problem that was unrelated to the installed options.

I'd bet most companies that purchase Rigol scopes buy the more expensive models or actually pay for the options. It's the hobbyist or first-time buyer who is most likely to buy an entry-level model and use the well-known method for unlocking the options. This is at least one reason that the DS1054Z is selling faster than Rigol can build them. Not a bad problem for Rigol to have.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1212 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:38 pm »
As others have stated, the laws on warranties vary depending upon where you live. But since Rigol seems to be aware of the prevalence of (and arguably even aquiescing in) installing the options without paying the fairly exorbitant price, they would have a hard time rejecting a warranty claim for a problem that was unrelated to the installed options.

Plus: It would only take one "I hacked my bandwidth and they didn't honor my warranty" post in a forum like this one to destroy their good name and cut their sales to home-users in half. It would be sales/marketing suicide to do so.

Much better to balance the supply/demand so there's a month or so of backlog on orders. Most home users will wait a month, businesses will pay for a DS1104Z to jump the queue. There'll be good will and happiness all around.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:29:55 pm by Fungus »

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1213 on: March 21, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »
I replaced the fan in my 1054z with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352002&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
You'll need to modify the connector to a 2-pin one.  It has somewhat less air flow -- still  more than enough for this scope -- but  it's incredibly quiet.
What is required voltage? 12V?

I also have DS1054Z and it is a bit noisy. I am under impression that the noise comes partly from the amount of air rushing through the case holes. Or does the noise come solely from fan?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1214 on: March 21, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »
I am under impression that the noise comes partly from the amount of air rushing through the case holes. Or does the noise come solely from fan?

The two things aren't unrelated ... slower fans are quieter and move less air.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1215 on: March 21, 2015, 10:45:21 pm »

Exactly. 

What is required voltage? 12V?

Like almost all equipment fans these days, it's 12 volts.  I don't recall if 1000z changes the voltage to the fan to regulate the speed, but this does happen in a lot of other equipment.
-katie

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1216 on: March 22, 2015, 12:26:49 am »
Assuming both are of comparable design and build quality. It does not matter how fast the fan is spinning when the fundamental design is hopeless.

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
Rigol DS1054Z has died
« Reply #1217 on: March 23, 2015, 04:12:22 am »
  My DS1054Z seems to have died.  Yesterday it was working well all day.  Today it freezes during its boot sequence:  The state changes it gets to are, as shown by the lighted indicators,
  • CH1-CH2-CH3-CH4-Math-Ref-diamond-RunStop-single-all trigger modes
  • no lights; "Rigol ultravision" on screen now and throughout rest of sequence
  • diamond
  • CH1-CH2-diamond
  • CH1-CH2-CH3-CH4-Math
  • CH1-CH2-CH3-CH4-Math-Ref
  • (flurry of light activity with multiple relay sounds; too fast to note)
  • CH1-CH2-RunStop-Auto trigger mode

It stays in the last state, unresponsive to any button pushes.  Has anyone else seen this failure mode?  Is there some way (say, holding certain buttons in during power-on) to force a reset out of it?  I have of course asked Rigol to advise me, but sometimes this board is more informative.

Offline chavotronic

• Contributor
« Reply #1218 on: March 23, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »

a) Don't know
b) Yes

Has anyone a hint where i can find informations about how to remove the installed options? Thanks!

Offline Marooned

« Reply #1219 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »
chavotronic, 8 pages ago [74].

Offline Datman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1220 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:13 pm »
Has anyone a hint where i can find informations about how to remove the installed options? Thanks!
search here for option:uninstall

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1221 on: March 23, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »
Yes it does.  I used a heat gun from several inches away and the sticker came off without me even having to touch it.
How did you stick it back on?

Offline chavotronic

• Contributor
« Reply #1222 on: March 23, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »
search here for option:uninstall

Found it! Many thanks! :)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1223 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:35 pm »

It's just a sticker - stick it back on!

(Usually you put it on a piece of wax paper for safe storage. It won't stick to that so you can just peel it off and reapply it to the 'scope when needed)

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1224 on: March 23, 2015, 02:35:26 pm »

It still sticks well after it cools down.  Probably you couldn't repeat this more than a couple of times, but I've only done it once.
-katie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf