Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 622364 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2425 on: April 23, 2023, 08:52:50 pm »
Thanks, I *finally* found that but the display + control panel is huge...no way to zoom out?
Only with use of you PC’s display scaling.
There is also a full screen icon if you look closely.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: three_jeeps

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2426 on: April 23, 2023, 09:23:20 pm »
Hi Billy,

First thanks and you´re right. :-+
Following for the ones who will have the same "problem":
I did expand it and saw nothing..
Playing with timebase and so on...nothing changed.
Then I add minimum and maximum....Aha...a negative voltage will be measured but I can´t see it...Couldn´t be so.
Finally I switched off channel 2 and then bingo... ;)
Ch2 "covered" the negative spike of ch1... :P
But respect to the little 1104 for "finding" it.

Martin
:-//
Here is your screenshot:

With a careful look the ch1 neg going spike is quite visible.
Trace separation will help.  ;)
With ch1 active to the control ch1 will be atop ch2 allowing you to see it.
Another trick is to trigger on it and with trigger level adjustment you will see the full levels of where the spike is. ;)

Change some display settings to enhance it and if not using measurements increase graticule brightness too. 15% is default which IMO for screenshots is a little too dim, I prefer ~40%.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:26:52 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2427 on: April 23, 2023, 09:43:48 pm »
You´re soo smart Rob... ;)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2428 on: April 23, 2023, 09:50:45 pm »
At the end of the day, I could see it.
Where I was sitting and where the scope was, I couldn't see it like that, only when I deactivated the second channel.
That was all it was. ;)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2429 on: April 23, 2023, 10:11:30 pm »
At the end of the day, I could see it.
Where I was sitting and where the scope was, I couldn't see it like that, only when I deactivated the second channel.
That was all it was. ;)
Nods.....

Remember these are some of the most popular DSO's made and as such we have all manner of skill level in those that own them so can expand on others experiences for all to learn how good these are and display advice on how better to operate them.
Then everyone progresses.

On a recent road trip left one with a 70+ customer and after a phone chat with him a day or so back was absolutely shocked to see how deep he was already diving into it....and for a chap that had only ever had a low end CRO before.  :o
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks < rubbish !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2430 on: April 23, 2023, 10:36:48 pm »
I like this little puppy, none should go below it when looking for a (first) scope.
Me, I strongly need a bigger desk... 8)

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, nikitasius

Offline tony359

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2431 on: April 24, 2023, 08:33:45 am »
Thanks, I *finally* found that but the display + control panel is huge...no way to zoom out?

Bear in mind you can also VNC to the scope - it won't have the controls but you'll be able to resize the screen more accurately. You can use tightVNC or any VNC client.

Online bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #2432 on: April 25, 2023, 02:30:12 pm »
The 1104X-E is back down to $392.60 USD on Amazon.COM for the U.S. members. Lowest (Amazon shipped and sold) price since a 26-NOV-2021 lightning deal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771N1ZF9

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline mjj

• Contributor
« Reply #2433 on: April 25, 2023, 06:44:24 pm »
Sounding X-E owners out with our customer feature request before presenting it to Siglent:

Single shot trigger
When trigger conditions are met and the scope goes to STOP mode short buzzer activation is enabled with a new user ON/OFF buzzer capability.
Buzzer activation is for a period different to all other notifications, say 2s.

Buzzer control needs be added into the Trigger menu.

Reason: to provide audible alert to users when single shot trigger conditions are met.

Worthy feature request ?

+1 Yes from me

Offline .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2434 on: April 26, 2023, 06:17:40 am »
I just ordered one of the 1104X-E models.   My current oscilloscope is a DSO150, so I am hoping it will be slightly better then it.

The E model was only ~$US30 more then the U model.  I assume the "upgrade" still works not that I am sure I would need it just yet.  Been bitten before with buying something, then quickly outgrowing it, and ending up spending more then just going with something decent to begin with.

The following users thanked this post: sylvandb

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2435 on: April 26, 2023, 11:21:21 pm »
My current oscilloscope is a DSO150, so I am hoping it will be slightly better then it.

DSO150 ??

Don´t tell me it´s this here:

https://eleshop.de/jye-dso150-serie.html

Offline .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2436 on: April 27, 2023, 02:29:30 am »
Yes that's it. I have had it for several years. You may not believe this.  But it is not that good.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2437 on: April 27, 2023, 06:25:07 am »
Yes that's it. I have had it for several years. You may not believe this.  But it is not that good.

What do you mean? DSO150 is pretty much a toy. SDS1104X-E is real, professional instrument.. There is no comparison at all..

Offline .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2438 on: April 27, 2023, 06:47:20 am »
I was attempting humour.  I probably should not give up my day job just yet.

The following users thanked this post: 807, 2N3055, sylvandb

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2439 on: April 27, 2023, 07:16:37 am »
I got it 100% !
You will be very impressed with X-E capabilities.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: .RC.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2440 on: April 27, 2023, 08:07:47 am »

It's not you..
 :palm: |O

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2441 on: April 27, 2023, 09:26:22 am »
Hi, I'm facing a few problems with the 1000X–E I2C...
btw have a question, why you connect ground twice from same scope at same points? i,e, if you connected 1 time probe, 2nd automatically grounded cause 4 channel share same PE. Just a newbie question. Technically it suppose to create ground loops.
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2442 on: April 27, 2023, 12:16:16 pm »
Hi, I'm facing a few problems with the 1000X–E I2C...
btw have a question, why you connect ground twice from same scope at same points? i,e, if you connected 1 time probe, 2nd automatically grounded cause 4 channel share same PE. Just a newbie question. Technically it suppose to create ground loops.

Yes GND... when DC and AC peoples talk about P, E and N ... but jump to tens and hundreds of MHz world is very different.

If you work with DC, or audio frequencies situation is very different compared to signals what include 10's or 100's MHz frequency components. And remember example 1Hz or 1kHz square wave may have fast edges so they include high frequency components.  With high frequencies even normal probe GND wire (10-15cm) is way too long.   Example 10cm wire inductance is around 130nH. Its reactance is around 82 ohm @ 100MHz.  But when you measure this wire with your DMM it display 0.oxx ohm. And 100MHz is not lot if we look today digital electronics signals rising or falling edges.
So, it depends what are you doing.
But also then there is other thing. Today every place (except in lab shielded and isolated "silent room") we have lot of EMI pollution. RF signals everywhere. Every wire is antenna  (probe is also antenna). Look weak signal what is low freq but if your probing pick up all EMI / RF noise from environment you may see more noise than your signal under test.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2443 on: April 27, 2023, 01:36:05 pm »
rf-loop thanks for nice reply, but i did not speak about HF case (when folks use metal springs attached to probes to reduce ground path).
Just from the picture, when there are 2 probes and both are attached by the wire.. idk why attach 2nd wire if 1st is already ground to scope. And it's same ground point.. and the distance doesn't make an issues and freqs also guess. Just about that :)
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2444 on: April 27, 2023, 01:59:55 pm »
You should still attach the ground at the DUT end of all probes.  Coax cable is not like shielded audio cable and the outer conductor of the coax is doing much more than just providing shielding.  It is the return path for the signal traveling through it.  For audio frequency signals it's not going to make as much of a difference than it would be for some RF signal, but attaching all grounds is the right thing to do.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2445 on: April 27, 2023, 02:13:56 pm »
rf-loop thanks for nice reply, but i did not speak about HF case (when folks use metal springs attached to probes to reduce ground path).
Just from the picture, when there are 2 probes and both are attached by the wire.. idk why attach 2nd wire if 1st is already ground to scope. And it's same ground point.. and the distance doesn't make an issues and freqs also guess. Just about that :)

In many simple LF cases one GND is enough. My previous answer was related to when a simple use of one probe's GND wire is not enough and for situations where the probe's "long" GND wire is not suitable at all.

Often (but not always), when just watching slow "easy" signals on several channels, it is enough (limited acceptable with notes) if the one GND wire of one probe is connected.

But also as BillyO well said...   

If not really know... best to connect least all probes GND. It is also a good way to get used to the correct common practices. This way the user can avoid some of the traps that are offered around every corner..

And for end; If people do not know what he/she are doing and what is what and how things go..  connecting every probe GND is right way. (but also avoid ground loops and think how GND currents flow in DUT and how they may affect...)

As we know there is no simple answers and more details we go and deeper and deeper all goes more and more complex and finally infinite complex if go enough deep to details....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:19:36 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2446 on: April 30, 2023, 12:11:36 am »
RE notification when the complex trigger is triggered. Two things- first a double short beep would be distictive and not annoying. Second- possibly some alert/interrupt over the wi-fi-ethernet interface. Having a way to see the rare event can be really useful. Waiting at a static screen to see it (and it may be subtle) is very much no fun.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2447 on: April 30, 2023, 12:42:16 am »
RE notification when the complex trigger is triggered. Two things- first a double short beep would be distictive and not annoying. Second- possibly some alert/interrupt over the wi-fi-ethernet interface. Having a way to see the rare event can be really useful. Waiting at a static screen to see it (and it may be subtle) is very much no fun.
I'm thinking just a defined beep different to those the scope normally makes as even a 1/2 to 1s is different from anything it currently emits.
There are other notification features already implemented by way of the logic level Trig Out/Pass/Fail rear BNC that we can use with a Pass/Fail mask.

Thanks for the feedback.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #2448 on: April 30, 2023, 03:18:48 pm »
Cheaper USB WiFi dongle found to work reliably: Look for any device that uses the MediaTek MT7601 chipset. Plug n play, works great.

Can be found as low as $1.99 USD (shipped on Ali in their 3 for $6 section) to around $3.50 USD average total price shipped alone on AliExpress. Higher elsewhere, but Temu, eBay and Amazon all sell them too.

Nice benefit is that most have a short positional antenna built in for much better signal quality.

Screenshot below just shows some of the ones available from various sites including the standard packaging to look for if you are interested in trying one skipping the special TP-Link one.

The following users thanked this post: sylvandb, Wrenches of Death

Offline .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2449 on: May 01, 2023, 11:24:52 pm »
Arrived this morning.  :)  It was calibrated in January 2023.  It is Dave's fault I bought it, he said get a 4 channel scope in 2023 over a 2 channel   ;)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:26:23 pm by .RC. »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf