Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800996 times)

jhenderson0107, Smokey and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8650 on: August 09, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
Arrived today, three beauties 
Is that brand called EROtantal, really?  :-DD

Hmm, honestly, I don't get the joke.  :-//
It's probably alluding to the Greek word "Eros" which, IIRC, was the son of Aphrodite and it was himself known as the god of love. This word is the root for "erotic" and similar words.

Thus, this would be an erotic tantalum capacitor...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #8651 on: August 10, 2019, 05:53:49 am »
Completely useless but cool.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8652 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »
I bought a few GPS/Galileo/GLONASS/BDS quad-mode GNSS receiver modules to upgrade my Stratum 1 NTP server. Having access to all four major GNSS systems in one module means I can see more satellites, and inter-system redundancy allows better reliability when one system fails.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8653 on: August 10, 2019, 07:08:18 pm »
I'm almost certain that there is a forum rule posted somewhere that says all calculator photos must have the calculator display "BOOBIES"...  "DEADBEEF" is also acceptable.

Ok, ok, I’ll make amends.

I bought this today.  It’ll be going in the smoker before the sun comes up tomorrow morning.  The brisket that is.  I’ve had the 16C for donkey’s years and I definitely won’t be putting that in the smoker.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, BillB

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8654 on: August 11, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
I got an Adaptec APA1480 to add mobility to a Tektronix TWD 120 that I got a bit ago. This will allow me to get it running on a hand-me-down Windows XP laptop (Inspiron 2200).

Apart from this, I got a CF to IDE 44 pins adapter to get an old Toshiba T2000SX going - it seems the adapter is not powering the CF card, though... Still investigating.

(Photos from the sellers).

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #8655 on: August 11, 2019, 10:24:56 pm »
Got one of these CF to IDE a while back. I remember issues to make sure the connector was in the proper orientation as it could be connected in reverse.
Second was a jumper for master/slave. I also had to supply a 5V with a bodge or solder wire between two pads on the adapter and make sure the card was bootable (not all cf cards are).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:38:28 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #8656 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:20 am »
Completely useless but cool.
(Attachment Link)
Tekwiki says it's an S-4 with an attached photodiode. So by removing the photodiode one can get a S-4 (which isn't totally useless if you have the 7S11/7T11  or 7S12).
Anyway, indeed cool!
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #8657 on: August 12, 2019, 08:23:19 am »
I bought a few GPS/Galileo/GLONASS/BDS quad-mode GNSS receiver modules to upgrade my Stratum 1 NTP server. Having access to all four major GNSS systems in one module means I can see more satellites, and inter-system redundancy allows better reliability when one system fails.

What? a Satellite system can fail? It will never happen, they have redundancy everywhere even two ground station to keep the clock running: one in Germany and one in Italy.  ;D
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8658 on: August 12, 2019, 02:41:20 pm »
Got one of these CF to IDE a while back. I remember issues to make sure the connector was in the proper orientation as it could be connected in reverse.
Second was a jumper for master/slave. I also had to supply a 5V with a bodge or solder wire between two pads on the adapter and make sure the card was bootable (not all cf cards are).
Thanks for the heads up; I did some verification and found out that two probable causes are at play: either a bad flat flex cable or the inability of the BIOS to acknowledge anything other than the Conner drivers that shipped with this thing: CP-2024 (20MB) and CP-2044 (40MB). Still investigating...

On the other hand, the APA-1480 works wonders on the laptop plus the TWD 120. That is a real controller!  :-+

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8659 on: August 12, 2019, 09:44:07 pm »
Not exactly a purchase, but I downloaded KiCad v5 last night and I must say I'm very impressed! Im not sure I could go back to Diptrace after being wowed by the amazing schematic designer in KiCad.... Busses are so incredibly fast and simple now and the migration from schematic to PCB designer is much simpler now.

I tried switching to Eagle a month ago (again) but I just can't get into Self flagellation!  :palm:

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8660 on: August 13, 2019, 05:10:14 am »
A Trimble 10MHz GPS disciplined oscillator with a little breakdown board.
Now to Evil Bay for a GPS antenna...  :)

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8661 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:38 am »
I would like to say I brought a box of vintage PC hardware really cheap but it was all mine and long forgotten about  :palm:

WiFi cards and USB external range extenders underneath assorted HDD the best of which is a newish 200GB the rest are pulls from scrapped family and business systems and really need a proper disposal of. 250Mb Graphics card from maybe W98 era at nearly $200 from my scratchy memory and lots more goodies. Even the 3 1.2" FDD has had it's day as you can now get emulators for pen drives. My new build didn't even get a consideration for a DVD burner as they are about toast too. Several DSL 1 and 2 modems and routers as well in box number two.

Time for a new thread TOSS Techgear Obsessive Storage Survivors.  ;D

Any Aussies want any of my junk to add to your junk hit me up before it goes to an appropriate location. - FREE !
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8662 on: August 13, 2019, 01:04:06 pm »
I have a similar collection, though mine is not stored neatly all in one box.

I would like to say I brought a box of vintage PC hardware really cheap but it was all mine and long forgotten about  :palm:

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8663 on: August 13, 2019, 04:01:03 pm »
I have a similar collection, though mine is not stored neatly all in one box.

I have a similar collection too, but it is not acquired in one lot like this, but a slow accumulation of components from computer upgrades over time. I have newer things like a working Gigabyte Z97 motherboard and a GTX 1060 3GB graphics card, also some ancient things like a GeForce 256 AGP.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #8664 on: August 13, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »
The EEVBlog 121GW from Welectron (big thanks and greetings).  :-DMM

UPS brings it in to my town in one night, but couldn't make it to my front door within the next day for the last 10km.  :palm: :palm:

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #8665 on: August 15, 2019, 05:26:32 am »
New pretties... Behlke 5kV MOSFET switch modules for playing around with.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8666 on: August 15, 2019, 07:45:33 am »
Putting this here as a general warning to others setting up some ESD mats or protection on their benches. Seems that AIR is considered adequate to connect the pressstuds to the actual Earth wire  :palm:

To be obvious the wire and steel frame/studs are isolated electrically :horse:

Edit Quick and Dirty fix done

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:30:59 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8667 on: August 16, 2019, 02:57:41 am »
Measuring Glass x 2 (Please DON'T correct my English  :-DD)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8668 on: August 16, 2019, 11:59:41 am »
Putting this here as a general warning to others setting up some ESD mats or protection on their benches. Seems that AIR is considered adequate to connect the pressstuds to the actual Earth wire  :palm:

I have the same one, but I always thought those snaps there were for storing the end of the attachment wire when you get up so they are out of the way. I don't think they are for grounding.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:45:01 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8669 on: August 16, 2019, 12:30:25 pm »
I have the same one, but I always thought those snaps there were for storing the end of the attachment wire when you get up so they are out of the way. I don't thing they are for grounding.

Had another think about it last night and you are likely correct about storage. With my cheapy mat and being mounted along the front of the bench the studs being more flush suit better in my case to keep my legs from wiping it out.

Aluminium wire in the leads is a potential PITA for others but crimped fine for me with a little strain relief.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8670 on: August 16, 2019, 11:52:28 pm »

Because... reasons.  :-DD

Yeah... the bracket is meant to be screwed to the bottom of your over-bench shelf and provide a convenient place to plug in the banana end of the coiled cable. The snap end goes on the mat or on you; those snaps are just to have a place to put the other end out of the way when you're not using them.

mnem
*tzzzt*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:08:44 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8671 on: August 17, 2019, 01:26:48 am »
I'm pretty sure A cup and B cup aren't the same size.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8672 on: August 17, 2019, 01:53:12 am »
I'm pretty sure A cup and B cup aren't the same size.

I always had a preference for a C or a D cup over an A or B ;D

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8673 on: August 17, 2019, 05:48:55 am »
Any more than a handful is just a waste.  ;)

mnem
*wasteful*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #8674 on: August 17, 2019, 04:38:57 pm »
Are you guys talking about breasts?  Teehehee!

I find it a positive sign that men can talk so openly about their struggles with gynecomastia.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: djos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf