Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 417037 times)

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #825 on: May 13, 2020, 12:52:27 pm »
Have installed Easy Spectrum, and confirm that you lose the 1Hz option for RBW and VBW.

The following users thanked this post: Houseman

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #826 on: May 13, 2020, 01:34:52 pm »
EasySpectrum only uses SCPI commands of the SSA3021X. It will not allow more or less functionality, measurement-wise, than what's active on your device.

However, it has hardcoded inside the possible RBW values: it does not matter if your specific SSA3021X has more or less RBW options - you can only select what's in the ComboBox!

This means that the lack of RBW options has nothing to do with licensed options or an applied hack. These are the options the programmer of EasySpectrum put in the ComboBox.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, Houseman

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #827 on: May 15, 2020, 10:44:31 pm »
Here's a screenshot of the message I get if I try to reduce the resolution bandwidth below 30kHz while the tracking generator is turned on. Since the message only appears for a relatively short time, and it isn't possible to save the screen with the message directly on USB-Stick, the photo with my cell phone didn't turn out too well. Anyway, it's readable. Yet, I don't understand why there's the lower limit for RBW with the TG open. Rigol's DSA800TG series hasn't got this shortcoming.

Cheers,
Thomas

With TG minimum RBW is 30kHz. (this is also most narrow filter what can not go to FFT mode)
What is problem with it?  Do it have too fast response or what?

Here is one small example, Nominal center frequency 21.953MHz, width ~3.5kHz Band Pass filter.  (in this example filter under test have problem)
With RBW30 also used Span is 30kHz!   (note also used VBW)
With TG  there is some DUT between TG output and SA input. This is your "filter" and it have most relevance, not SA RBW filter.
Of course this 30kHz Span is not limit. If narrow filter under test there  can use more narrow Span.

As sidenote here is limits with different RBW widths.

Sweep Span limits using FFT or Sweep (SWP) mode

Spectrum analyzer. (TG Off)
10Hz, FFT 33.83MHz, SWP ---

30Hz, FFT 106.6MHz, SWP 330kHz
100Hz, FFT 318MHz, SWP 3.7MHz
300Hz, FFT 793.6MHz, SWP 33,3MHz
1kHz, FFT 2.1GHz, SWP 371MHz

3kHz, FFT, SWP 2.1GHz
10kHz, FFT, SWP 2.1GHz

Spectrum analyzer + TG in use.
30kHz, FFT ---, SWP 2.1GHz
100kHz, FFT ---, SWP 2.1GHz
300kHz, FFT ---, SWP 2.1GHz
1000kHz, FFT ---, SWP 2.1GHz

I know that this was a while ago but to 10Hz to 33.83MHz option is VERY important to me.  Is this only available with the hack?  The specs say it has a minimum of 9KHz which is far too high a frequency for us audio people :-)

Or is this not the range?

It's a lot of money to get it wrong. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:53:36 pm by cowasaki »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #828 on: May 17, 2020, 12:18:36 am »
The SSA3021X has a frequency range that goes from 9kHz up to 2.1GHz. It can be hacked to increase frequency range up to 3.2GHz, making it equivalent to the SSA3032X.

But there is no hack to make it work under 9kHz.

Most spectrum analyzers start at 9kHz, btw.!

If you need much less than that, you probably need an audio spectrum analyzer, which is a different category of test equipment. These, however, are mostly obsolete due to high end audio sound cards for computers, which can be combined with software spectrum analyzers that do FFT.

Don't confuse the frequency range with RBW (Resolution Band Width): this can be set from 1Hz up to 3MHz (in predefined steps), depending on the activated options. This is the sample bandwidth of the spectrum analyzer: all values within the set RBW will be averaged into one sample. If you have a span of 100MHz and an RBW of 1MHz, you get 100 samples with the signal average of 1MHz in each sample.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #829 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:17 am »
The SSA3021X has a frequency range that goes from 9kHz up to 2.1GHz. It can be hacked to increase frequency range up to 3.2GHz, making it equivalent to the SSA3032X.

But there is no hack to make it work under 9kHz.

Most spectrum analyzers start at 9kHz, btw.!

If you need much less than that, you probably need an audio spectrum analyzer, which is a different category of test equipment. These, however, are mostly obsolete due to high end audio sound cards for computers, which can be combined with software spectrum analyzers that do FFT.

Don't confuse the frequency range with RBW (Resolution Band Width): this can be set from 1Hz up to 3MHz (in predefined steps), depending on the activated options. This is the sample bandwidth of the spectrum analyzer: all values within the set RBW will be averaged into one sample. If you have a span of 100MHz and an RBW of 1MHz, you get 100 samples with the signal average of 1MHz in each sample.

Regards,
Vitor

It is for audio.  All the older ones are VERY expensive and might last 3 months then break.  I was hoping that I could find a modern one and then use it for other things too.  I've tried a couple of PC based ones but they don't seem to do what I need.  Any suggestions would be good

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #830 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:03 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but thanks to everyone who's posted all this useful info.

I successfully modified my SSA3021X and everything looks good - showing as 3032X with all options.
I've since upgraded to v1.2.9.3a and as I've now found out from trawling through the thread, the telnet is no longer available.
Everything else works ok.

I read about loading the telnet.ads but not quite sure which version. Is it the SSA3000X_Plus_telnet.zip file or is that only for the Plus version.

Thanks.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #831 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:28 pm »

I read about loading the telnet.ads but not quite sure which version. Is it the SSA3000X_Plus_telnet.zip file or is that only for the Plus version.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome  :)

Afraid I can’t say for sure, as I’ve only got the Plus and use the Plus telnet script. But knowing you need a different one again for the Plus SVA hack, it’s probably best to find the non-Plus telnet version.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #832 on: June 08, 2020, 10:14:20 am »
@tv84

Not a good day. Loaded telnet.ads last night and it started to upgrade, then stuck at 60%.
Still like that this morning so had no option but to power off. Now the TG and Mode light come on but nothing else.
Not booting.

Is there a way out of this potential bricking?

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #833 on: June 08, 2020, 10:15:45 am »
@tv84

Not a good day. Loaded telnet.ads last night and it started to upgrade, then stuck at 60%.
Still like that this morning so had no option but to power off. Now the TG and Mode light come on but nothing else.
Not booting.

Is there a way out of this potential bricking?

That’s correct.

Whilst it is that condition you can telnet in. Then reboot when finished. It is not an upgrade in itself.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #834 on: June 08, 2020, 10:43:38 am »

That’s correct.

Whilst it is that condition you can telnet in. Then reboot when finished. It is not an upgrade in itself.

I see - misunderstood the instruction. I have no boot up now so how can I get any further?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #835 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:00 am »
I have no boot up now so how can I get any further?

Translate please.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #836 on: June 08, 2020, 11:10:40 am »

Translate please.

If I have no screen and the analyser isn't booting how can I fix it?

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #837 on: June 08, 2020, 11:23:47 am »

Translate please.

There is nothing to fix

This is 'expected' behaviour

The .ADS file tv84 provided is a 'boot' file which starts the telnet service in the SSA (magic for you and me -> always big thanks to tv  :-+)

Once you 'boot' this file - the screen sill only have spinning 'hour glass' - because nothing will be booted-up except the telnet service in the SSA

The telnet service is not visible on the SSA screen - it is a 'service' it runs in the background

However - you now CAN use a telnet 'client' (such as PUTTY) - to open a telnet session

If you are familiar with telnet / port numbers and how it all works - then you should be 'good-to-go' ;)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:26:51 am by noreply »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #838 on: June 08, 2020, 11:49:57 am »

Don't boot the SSA with this USB disk inserted! Only do the "update" after the SSA is up and running.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #839 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:59 pm »

Don't boot the SSA with this USB disk inserted! Only do the "update" after the SSA is up and running.

No USB disk inserted.
Sorry to be a pain but the screen is totally black, no hour glass. TG & Mode button lit.
No network service seems to be running so can't use Putty

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #840 on: June 08, 2020, 12:31:13 pm »

No USB disk inserted.
Sorry to be a pain but the screen is totally black, no hour glass. TG & Mode button lit.
No network service seems to be running so can't use Putty

Just to be clear ...

1. remove power cord from SSA and ANYTING plugged into USB or Network connector in rear of SSA
2. wait 2 minutes
3. plug-in power cord into SSA
4. observe if 'power button' on front of SSA is illuminated
5. if power button illuminated - press to swith on device
6. do you hear a 'beep' OR see 'anything' on the screen shortly after pressing the 'on' button - is there a SIGLENT logo displayed briefly??
7. does the TG and Mode lights 'remain' lit PERMENANTLY after you power-on?

Report your findings
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:34:38 pm by noreply »

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #841 on: June 08, 2020, 01:11:52 pm »
Just to be clear ...

1. remove power cord from SSA and ANYTING plugged into USB or Network connector in rear of SSA
2. wait 2 minutes
6. do you hear a 'beep' OR see 'anything' on the screen shortly after pressing the 'on' button - is there a SIGLENT logo displayed briefly??

Report your findings

Thanks noreply.

1. Power cord and extra cables removed from SSA
2. Waited at least 2 minutes
3. Plugged in power cord
4. Power button illuminated but cycling between full and dimmer brightness
5. Power button pressed - light stays constantly bright
6. No beep or anything on the screen
7. TG and Mode lights remain on permanently

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #842 on: June 08, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »
Just to be clear ...

2. wait 2 minutes

Report your findings

Thanks noreply.

3. Plugged in power cord

OK thanks

4. the fact that power button is illuninated but cycling in brightness is not a good sign  :(

Is your power cable inserted into the rear SSA socket 'fully'??

Check another mains power cable (if you have spare) as well as another mains line (not the one you been using) - just to eliminate some obvious things that could cause problem.

5, 6 its obvious that your SSA is not going through boot process at all

7. the fact that TG and Mode stay illuminated immediately after you press 'on' button - is a good indicator that boot loader is not functioning - you are at 'pre boot' stage - TG and Mode ARE illuminated momintarily at power-on (the pre-boot stage) when loader is about to load the software to start your system - after boot process they go off - in your case they stay on all the time - implying that you are 'waiting' to initiate the boot process and its waiting??

Can you exxplain exactly what you did to SSA - since you had a succesful boot and SSA was operational??

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:54:14 pm by noreply »

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #843 on: June 08, 2020, 02:00:38 pm »
Just to be clear ...

2. wait 2 minutes

Report your findings

Thanks noreply.

3. Plugged in power cord

OK thanks

4. the fact that power button is illuninated but cycling in brightness is not a good sign  :(

Check another mains power cable (if you have spare) as well as another mains line (not the one you been using) - just to eliminate some obvious things that could cause problem.

7. the fact that TG and Mode stay illuminated immediately after you press 'on' button - is a good indicator that boot loader is not functioning - you are at 'pre boot' stage - TG and Mode ARE illuminated momintarily at power-on (the pre-boot stage) when loader is about to load the software to start your system - after boot process they go off - in your case they stay on all the time - implying that you are 'waiting' to initiate the boot process and its waiting??

Can you exxplain exactly what you did to SSA - since you had a succesful boot and SSA was operational??

If you know the IP you set up the SSA to respond to - PLEASE try the following;

Open putty and telnet into the SSA using the IP you set-up and using port 10101 (not the default putty telnet port)

Report your findings

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #844 on: June 08, 2020, 02:56:58 pm »

3. Plugged in power cord

OK thanks

If you know the IP you set up the SSA to respond to - PLEASE try the following;

Open putty and telnet into the SSA using the IP you set-up and using port 10101 (not the default putty telnet port)

Report your findings

Thanks noreply.

As in my earlier comment, I loaded telnet.ads last night and it started to upgrade, then stuck at 60%. At the time I didn't realise that it was waiting for a Telnet connection. Still like that this morning so had no option but to power off. Now the TG and Mode light come on but nothing else.
Before that it was fine with v1.2.9.3a

Tried with different power cable in a different room - still the same.
Tried 23 and 10101 earlier but no connection. It doesn't ping either - not sure if should anyway.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:30:37 pm by rozzy »

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #845 on: June 08, 2020, 03:41:39 pm »

Thanks noreply.

As in my earlier comment, I loaded telnet.ads last night and it started to upgrade, then stuck at 60%. At the time I didn't realise that it was waiting for a Telnet connection. Still like that this morning so had no option but to power off. Now the TG and Mode light come on but nothing else.
Before that it was fine with v1.2.9.3a

Tried with different power cable in a different room - still the same.
Tried 23 and 10101 earlier but no connection. It doesn't ping either - not sure if should anyway.

OK thanks for the feedback

Try the following ...

1. Get the file tv84 provided  SSA3000X_telnet.zip
2. Extract from this .zip the following file - SSA3000X_telnet.ADS
3. Get a 'clean' FAT32 formated USB (with no other files)
4. Copy the SSA3000X_telnet.ADS to the USB

What we are trying to do here is to 'boot directly from USB' the SSA3000X_telnet.ADS file - so you will have access to telnet - then you will be able to 'fix' everything.

I have not done this myself - so not 100% sure of process

1. either the .ads file has to be 'only one' on USB - so it will boot first .ads
2. the SSA3000X_telnet.ADS needs to be renamed to special 'boot me from usb' name - if there is such a thing
3. there is a KEY sequence you need to press - to force boot from USB

I did read something on forums - explaining the above - but can't recall where

So you can try to 'read' some threads to see how to force boot from USB

At least you now know what needs to be done - we need to 'boot' the SSA3000X_telnet.ADS directly from the USB drive - so you can regain access to telnet.

It looks like you must have corrupted the internal flash when you 'pulled the power' as it was waiting for you to start your telnet client

Your SSA should be fine - once you can restore from backup - then you can start again - but with the knowledge you have now - without any problems  :P

OR

Perhaps someone will chime-in with some specific instructions on directly booting from USB .ADS file ;)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:44:29 pm by noreply »

The following users thanked this post: rozzy

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #846 on: June 08, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »
I suggest to leave the _telnet script aside for now. Because if the filesystem doesnt start, your telnet session will never work.

Try to see if you can reflash a stock FW with the help of bootloader. Don't know if it's possible with the help of the bootloader. But there should be members who can confirm that.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #847 on: June 08, 2020, 04:18:23 pm »
Thank you tv84 and noreply.

I'll wait and see if someone can advise on the bootloader scenario.

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
« Reply #848 on: June 10, 2020, 01:04:15 pm »
Thank you tv84 and noreply.

I'll wait and see if someone can advise on the bootloader scenario.

I have another untouched SSA3021X here. Is there a way to dump its FW and load it on to the poorly one - unless someone has a copy of a stock FW?
This is assuming that there is a suitable bootloader. I also have the two original directories from before the update hack.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #849 on: June 10, 2020, 02:19:43 pm »
I have another untouched SSA3021X here. Is there a way to dump its FW and load it on to the poorly one - unless someone has a copy of a stock FW?

Here is an .ADS that executes this script:
Code: [Select]
#! /bin/bash
export USBDEV=`df -h | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}'`
for i in `seq 0 1 12`
 do
   nanddump -f ${USBDEV}/mtd${i} /dev/mtd${i}
   if [ $? == 0 ]
   then
     echo SUCCESS dumping /dev/mtd${i} >> ${USBDEV}/SSA3KDMP.log
   else
     echo ERROR dumping /dev/mtd${i} >> ${USBDEV}/SSA3KDMP.log
   fi
   sleep 1
done

sync

sleep 5

reboot

Try it to see if you can do a NAND dump with it.

With the NAND dump you can go in the other SSA via serial port and attempt to restore the NAND. Remember, first you should try to dump it also while on uboot prompt and then, comparing with the previous dump, you should flash only the MTDs that seem problematic. Don't start flashing before you know exactly what you are doing!

As a reference, here is a list of the MTDs you should be dumping:
Code: [Select]
[    0.187415] 0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "SPL"
[    0.188736] 0x000000020000-0x000000040000 : "SPL.backup1"
[    0.189948] 0x000000040000-0x000000060000 : "SPL.backup2"
[    0.191119] 0x000000060000-0x000000080000 : "SPL.backup3"
[    0.192293] 0x000000080000-0x000000260000 : "U-Boot"
[    0.194221] 0x000000260000-0x000000280000 : "U-Boot Env"
[    0.195493] 0x000000280000-0x000000580000 : "Manufacturedata"
[    0.198010] 0x000000580000-0x000003080000 : "File System"
[    0.217098] 0x000003080000-0x000003680000 : "kerneldata"
[    0.220689] 0x000003680000-0x000003c80000 : "fpgadata"
[    0.224311] 0x000003c80000-0x000006e80000 : "firmdata0"
[    0.246439] 0x000006e80000-0x00000a080000 : "firmdata1"
[    0.268373] 0x00000a080000-0x000010000000 : "datafs"

EDIT: I removed this .ADS because there are some members reporting bricked SSAs. Without more investigation, I advise you all to not use the previously shared .ADS file.

If you want to dump the NAND, enter via telnet and run the dump script manually.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:10:42 pm by tv84 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf