Author Topic: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread  (Read 566561 times)

Offline Kanbus

• Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread
« Reply #1500 on: May 01, 2022, 08:30:44 pm »
Yay. now it says over voltage when booting :-BROKE

Is it really possible to destroy it by just doing a firmware update? shit I hate this thing
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 08:36:09 pm by Kanbus »
With great power comes great smell

Offline BmaxTom

• Contributor
« Reply #1501 on: May 02, 2022, 02:22:23 pm »

Offline Kanbus

• Contributor
« Reply #1502 on: May 02, 2022, 04:31:18 pm »
No I need a firmware update wich I cant do now because won't reconize any USB disc

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: May 02, 2022, 04:48:59 pm »
Try different sticks formatted in Linux. Good luck.

Offline Kanbus

• Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: May 02, 2022, 07:41:41 pm »
No way in hell I'm installing linux on any computer. nothing against linux, but enough things has broken down this weekend. Its not just the AWG now. My Windows computer broke while trying to update to win 10. Why was i updating you ask? So i could install NI-MAX to control the AWG.
The weekend has brought nothing but disappointments. And the apartment smells like sewer again.

Offline Kanbus

• Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: May 03, 2022, 06:41:58 pm »
Sorry to all Siglent users. The AWG is working fine, which is not the case for three of my USB-sticks. I bought a new one and it recognized it. Then i updated the firmware without a problem. I've done the updates as described in the usermanual, so what makes the USB-sticks go bad I have no idea.

Telnet can't connect though, it says connection refused.

Offline Kanbus

• Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: May 04, 2022, 09:04:36 pm »
It worked out today. Thanks for the free bandwith :-+

Some things for others to try if telnet connection fails.
Get both the computer and AWG connected via cable. I tried with my computer over WIFI, but failed.
I couldn't connect via putty, so I used the telnet client in windows10 and port 5024.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG2042X Thread (error queue)
« Reply #1507 on: May 04, 2022, 11:03:26 pm »
I'm being confused about instrument control of my SDG2042X.

I found that the SDG implements an (undocumented) error queue, readable with "SYSTem:ERRor?".

If I send the (documented) command "C1:OUTP LOAD,50", the error queue contains the error '-108,"Parameter not allowed"'. The load impedance is changed.

Is there a way to determine what caused the parameter error? Or is it my mistake to check for errors since checking for errors is undocumented?

(firmware 2.01.01.35R3B2)

ADDED LATER: Is there a listing of all the undocumented commands somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 06:36:31 pm by pigrew »

Offline mjgillen

« Reply #1508 on: May 19, 2022, 02:20:06 am »
Got my new toy today the Siglent SDG2042X

Software version 2.10.01.35R3B2

Hardware version 02-02-00-40-00

I got this to align an old 1946 AM tube radio. Now I need to figure out how to use it, which wave to use, parameters, etc. UI is kind of clunky. It's smaller than I thought it would be. Should be fun!

Michael

Offline mjgillen

« Reply #1509 on: May 19, 2022, 09:18:00 pm »
The "telnet upgrade" was easy peasy. Thank you!

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: July 08, 2022, 05:55:37 am »
It was decided to check the veracity of the 16-bit exit.
A special test signal was created:
* test_max_min_all.zip (0.32 kB - downloaded 39 times.)

In the "EasyWaveX ver. 1.1.0.13" he looks like this:

This test signal was loaded in the SDG2042X, the SDM3065X (DCV, Range: Auto, Aperture: 10PLC, Auto Zero: Off, Rel: Off). was connected to the generator.
A very large displacement of "0" at the ARB-signal was discovered. Pictures for "DC Offset 0.000 V" and ARB (Period: 500.000000 s, Amplitude: 20.000 Vpp, Offset: 0.000 Vdc, Phase: 0.0000°):

Channel 1

Channel 2

What is the reason for such a large displacement of "0"?

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: July 14, 2022, 04:20:40 am »
Continuation of experiments with "0" signal:
* zero.zip (0.16 kB - downloaded 40 times.)

There was a check of the dependence of the output voltage on the displayed amplitude.

It is quite strange to observe such a large displacement for a 16-bit output.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 04:22:47 am by Tjuurko »

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: July 14, 2022, 11:11:08 am »
It is quite strange to observe such a large displacement for a 16-bit output.

Well, it is a function generator and not a precision DC voltage source. 16 bit is not about DC accuracy on an instrument like this, it is about spurious free dynamic range (SFDR), i.e. the spectral purity of the signal. You would usually verify this by looking at single/multi-tone signals on a spectrum analyzer.

DC accuracy doesn't even seem to be sepcified properly in the datasheet. There is a section labelled "DC Characteristics" but I believe that applies to the DC output mode specifically (± (1% + 2mV)). As a point of reference, on the higher-end Keysight 33500B/33600A series, offset error is "± (1% of Offset setting) ± (0.25% of amplitude in Vpp) ± (2 mV)", so zero offset at 20Vpp amplitude could be ±52mV.

As you vary the amplitude setting, the generator will switch between different output ranges (you can probably hear a relay click) and that will change the offset. E.g. if it would switch in a 10x attenuator at some point in the signal path, the (absolute) offset error contributed by any circuitry before the attenuator would be reduced by a factor of 10.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:14:54 am by switchabl »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, Bad_Driver

Offline nike75

• Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: August 23, 2022, 08:04:34 am »
As other forum members have said, i also found a phase difference between the two channels on my SDG2042X.
May be PCB layout of two cahnnels are not equalized or have another case but phase skew between channels on my gear is ~310ps.

I'm not sure if Siglent will ever make some kind of calibration menu in the software but a user option to set the phase both in degrees and absolute (seconds) doesn't seem complicated at all.

It would also be very useful because apart from fix the factory asymmetry, it can also be used to equalize different cable lengths as well as different type of cables with different propagation speeds.

For now, I have to make a BNC adapter with a length of about 40 mm to compensate the channel skew.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1514 on: August 23, 2022, 09:23:23 am »
As other forum members have said, i also found a phase difference between the two channels on my SDG2042X.
May be PCB layout of two cahnnels are not equalized or have another case but phase skew between channels on my gear is ~310ps.

I'm not sure if Siglent will ever make some kind of calibration menu in the software but a user option to set the phase both in degrees and absolute (seconds) doesn't seem complicated at all.

It would also be very useful because apart from fix the factory asymmetry, it can also be used to equalize different cable lengths as well as different type of cables with different propagation speeds.

For now, I have to make a BNC adapter with a length of about 40 mm to compensate the channel skew.
Yes it's a known issue however Siglent provided the tools to null any channel disparities in the original design.

Utility P2> Phase Mode used with Parameter> Phase can apply the adjustments to minimize any channel Skew when/if/as required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Blue

• Regular Contributor
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
« Reply #1515 on: August 23, 2022, 10:18:12 am »
Hi Tautech,

A while ago (march 2021) you send me  :-+ an updated firmware 2.01.01.35RB3 to solve a labview connection problem.
Has there been newer firmwares that solves other problems? And why is Siglent still not showing that version on their website or shipping it in their newer produced instruments?

Cheers,

Nick

The following users thanked this post: luciof

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1516 on: August 23, 2022, 10:38:05 am »
Hi Tautech,

A while ago (march 2021) you send me  :-+ an updated firmware 2.01.01.35RB3 to solve a labview connection problem.
Has there been newer firmwares that solves other problems? And why is Siglent still not showing that version on their website or shipping it in their newer produced instruments?
Cheers,
Nick
V2.01.01.35R3B2 is still the current shipped version.
B3 I must have in emails from Siglent as it's not in our 2kX FW folder so I need find it for anyone that might need it.
TBH Nick I don't remember our messages so need to hunt them out to refresh these old brain cells.  :)
TTYL
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Blue

• Regular Contributor
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
« Reply #1517 on: August 23, 2022, 11:43:46 am »
I just forwarded your email back to you with your firmware.

Nick

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: August 23, 2022, 11:52:47 am »
A bit disappointing that the latest released firmware dates from 2019. Well, that must mean that the SDG2042X is now perfect, and has been for nearly three years...

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline luciof

• Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: August 23, 2022, 01:15:39 pm »
Yes it's a known issue however Siglent provided the tools to null any channel disparities in the original design.

Utility P2> Phase Mode used with Parameter> Phase can apply the adjustments to minimize any channel Skew when/if/as required.

The phase adjustment between channels is not the same as skew compensation.

For example, the coupled outputs at 100 MHz show a phase shift of about -11.54 deg. (that's a 320 ps skew). At 50 MHz, phase shift is -6.44 deg (355 ps). The actual phase (which should ideally be 0) has changed, and the skew is [more or less] constant.

The generator outputs are connected to the scope via 1 m RG316 cables (delay checked: no change if swapped) and 50 ohm terminators.
In this quick test I didn't found significant differences changing "Utility p.2 | Phase Mode" between "Phase Locked" and "Independent".

Applying a -11.54 degree phase compensation (Utility | CH Copy Coupling | Phase Dev), the 100 MHz output is quite fully compensated (now the waveforms are in phase), but at 50 MHz the phase shift is about +5.11 degrees.

In conclusion, the actual phase between coupled channels is quite different from the value set in Utility, and it changes with frequency (tolerable at low frequency, too large at higher frequencies).
To make things right, there should be a skew compensation in addition to Phase Dev, so that when Phase Dev is set to 0 the coupled waveforms are actually in phase at whatever frequency.

Because of hardware limits, there would still be an error, albeit significantly less.

Offline nike75

• Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: August 23, 2022, 02:37:05 pm »
I think that "Phase dev" value in "Utility|CH copy" and "params|phase(CH1 and CH2)" are lead to the same result. Just the three values are simply added together and as result provided target phase shift value.

Skew compensation represent as absolute time is another thing and from my point of view is good workaround. Can be easily recalculated to a phase angle depending on the selected frequency.

Maybe Tautech is talking about functionality that I not found in last official rev 35R3B2:
... Utility P2> Phase Mode used with Parameter> Phase can apply the adjustments to minimize any channel Skew when/if/as required....

In Utility I found only "Phase Locked" and "Independent" but this settings is not related to current case.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: August 23, 2022, 09:58:36 pm »
A bit disappointing that the latest released firmware dates from 2019. Well, that must mean that the SDG2042X is now perfect, and has been for nearly three years...

I can only assume your statement to be a well deserved biting criticism of the way Siglent have crippled the full potential and usability  of every model of AWG they've ever produced over the past 6 or 7 years with a kakamaimee UI that has never changed for the better since day one. >:(

The UI is so execrable that my "Go To" signal generator still remains to this day my FeelTech FY6600-60M "toy" AWG which I had hoped would soon become relegated to that of an "emergency spare" safely stored away in my "emergency spares cupboard".

I had envisioned that Siglent's AWG division would poach one of the skilled and experienced software engineers from the DSO division to remedy the shame of remaining second best to a cheapskate company like FeelTech but it seems my former optimism has been well and truly misplaced. :( >:( :palm:
John

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: August 23, 2022, 10:03:52 pm »

I can only assume your statement to be a well deserved biting criticism of the way Siglent have crippled the full potential and usability  of every model of AWG they've ever produced over the past 6 or 7 years with a kakamaimee UI that has never changed for the better since day one. >:(

The UI is so execrable that my "Go To" signal generator still remains to this day my FeelTech FY6600-60M "toy" AWG which I had hoped would soon become relegated to that of an "emergency spare" safely stored away in my "emergency spares cupboard".

I had envisioned that Siglent's AWG division would poach one of the skilled and experienced software engineers from the DSO division to remedy the shame of remaining second best to a cheapskate company like FeelTech but it seems my former optimism has been well and truly misplaced. :( >:( :palm:
::)
Do you really think a rewrite of the UI, GUI and the documentation of 4 model series comprising of 11 models is really going to happen ?
How might that impact on the existing owners of the 1000's of these units already in use ?

Please come back down to earth JBG.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: August 23, 2022, 11:15:22 pm »

::)
Do you really think a rewrite of the UI, GUI and the documentation of 4 model series comprising of 11 models is really going to happen ?

I don't really see why not. After all, the GUI is largely common to all of the above with minor variations to cater for the features specific to each model and variants. However, if even your good self feels this exercise in restoring Siglent's self esteem is beyond their abilities, then I guess not. :(

How might that impact on the existing owners of the 1000's of these units already in use ?

Rather positively I'd have thought. A rather welcome firmware update and a download of the latest user guide isn't an out of the ordinary exercise for any AWG owner, regardless of make or model.

Please come back down to earth JBG.

Aw, must I?  :( After all, these AWGs have been waiting for a rewrite since before they were ever inflicted upon the unsuspecting hobbyist. What I can't understand is how Siglent seem content to remain in fourth place behind FeelTech despite the use of first class hardware. Their AWG division, imo, seem totally shameless in failing to put this glaring and crippling deficiency right.
John

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: August 24, 2022, 07:24:39 am »
Hi Tautech,

Cheers,
Nick
V2.01.01.35R3B2 is still the current shipped version.
B3 I must have in emails from Siglent as it's not in our 2kX FW folder so I need find it for anyone that might need it.
TBH Nick I don't remember our messages so need to hunt them out to refresh these old brain cells.  :)
TTYL

As I reported about low FM deviation BUG, reported to support, claimed first not possible to fix while FPGA memory limitation so only on one channel for that matter, than about a year later did get SDG2000X_P37R2 to test, issue still exists but on lower deviations.
Compare FM/PM modulation with an 14 bit model as higher-end Keysight 33500B/33600A series.

Than asked what else has been fixed on SDG2000X_P37R2.... silents at it gets, but the revision shows since V2.01.01.35R3B2, they are working on it but even slower than slow without any priority.

Will once check on the PC Tool whether FM/PM modulation is possible and may whether this tool allows to add dither.

Good 16 bit DAC's gets signals down to -120dB even with proper dithering.

Remark: SDG2000X_P37R2 or any newer ask the support..

hp

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf