Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 739289 times)

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #2150 on: December 07, 2020, 07:21:13 am »
Let Saelig handle it and/or advise you on the best method to get it addressed.
Which are you closest to ?

I've opened an RMA with Saelig, and of course, now, after having applied a bit pressure to the right on the connector, I'm unable to reproduce it and now it is working ok. I'm going to send it anyway, as probably is going to be easy to see if disassembled and the "apply a bit of pressure" doesn't seem like the proper fix :)
No it's not a proper fix however you need ensure it will give further problems as when you send it back and techs try to replicate the issue and not succeed you might get it back again.
I know that would drive me  :rant:

Wiggle it heaps.....just to be double sure it's got a problem.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: NCG, kahuna0k

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2151 on: December 07, 2020, 07:29:42 am »
No it's not a proper fix however you need ensure it will give further problems as when you send it back and techs try to replicate the issue and not succeed you might get it back again.

Will they open the scope and verify the solder points or just try the cal points and if it works that's good enough and they won't even open it? Also I haven't seen photos of the front of the mainboard, is the cal connector soldered directly to the board or could it be that by pushing a bit I made a connector fully "connect" with the socket or whatever is soldered to the board?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2152 on: December 07, 2020, 07:46:58 am »

Will they open the scope and verify the solder points or just try the cal points and if it works that's good enough and they won't even open it? Also I haven't seen photos of the front of the mainboard, is the cal connector soldered directly to the board or could it be that by pushing a bit I made a connector fully "connect" with the socket or whatever is soldered to the board?
IME they are lugs soldered to the PCB.
Check the teardown vids on P1 of this thread where the tails of the lugs should be visible on the bottom side of the PCB...the side that's visible in the teardowns.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: kahuna0k

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2153 on: December 07, 2020, 07:05:39 pm »
IME they are lugs soldered to the PCB.
Check the teardown vids on P1 of this thread where the tails of the lugs should be visible on the bottom side of the PCB...the side that's visible in the teardowns.  ;)

Saelig tech support contacted me and told me that they are actually not directly soldered but plugged into some kind of socket connected to the board, and that I should try to push them a bit just to make sure that they are properly connected. This seems aligned with my experience of fixing it by pushing a bit. I've tried to wiggle it to see if it would get worse but I was unable to do "break" it again. So, for now, everything is working as expected. Also... NICE SCOPE! :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2154 on: December 07, 2020, 08:33:00 pm »
Also... NICE SCOPE! :D

For myself it became NICER the more I used it, as I mentioned many times exceeding my expectations over and over again. From the low noise front end, very large input offset range, quality ADCs, 10 bit mode, the 500uv/div (not digitally scaled), the FFT, the Bode' plot, the Web Interface, UI, and so on, but the most important aspect of these DSOs is the quick, quality information you get from a few of the knowledgable folks here.

If you have access to a very accurate DVM and a reasonably clean and stable voltage source, check out just how good the front end and ADCs are. Then check out the FFT, then the Bode' Plot. Caution, all this may put a big grin on your face ;D

Edit: Forgot to mention the "expanded BW" with the help of folks here, mine was expanded from 100MHz to 350MHz, then to a measured 615MHz ::)

Best,
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:53:52 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Jacon, Martin72, Tankj

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2155 on: December 07, 2020, 08:37:33 pm »
I wonder if mawyatt is happy with his purchase ?

;D

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2156 on: December 07, 2020, 08:59:18 pm »
I wonder if mawyatt is happy with his purchase ?

;D

Na, it's just a scope after all ;)
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2157 on: December 07, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »
Didn´t saw this before, a comparison list from siglent:

https://int.siglent.com/products-comparison/sds2000xp/#navs

The following users thanked this post: NCG

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2158 on: December 07, 2020, 09:58:32 pm »
Didn´t saw this before, a comparison list from siglent:

https://int.siglent.com/products-comparison/sds2000xp/#navs

I made a copy just for the record.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline nihial

• Contributor
« Reply #2159 on: December 09, 2020, 04:25:43 pm »
Hello people,

It seems some of you have made extensive testing of the SDS2000X Plus and also have a broadwide experience about oscilloscopes. I see it is compared to the MSO5000 from rigol, how would it perform against a MSO7000 ? In terms of noise floor for example.

I may have the possibility to get one of these fully equiped (no price consideration here) but I never used a rigol or siglent scope, I'm completely unaware of the differences in terms of UI experience I always had a techtronix mdo3000 at work.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2160 on: December 09, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »
Hello people,

It seems some of you have made extensive testing of the SDS2000X Plus and also have a broadwide experience about oscilloscopes. I see it is compared to the MSO5000 from rigol, how would it perform against a MSO7000 ? In terms of noise floor for example.

I may have the possibility to get one of these fully equiped (no price consideration here) but I never used a rigol or siglent scope, I'm completely unaware of the differences in terms of UI experience I always had a techtronix mdo3000 at work.

I have the MDO3000, as well as the MSO5000 and SDS2000X Plus.

I've always found the MDO3000 (& MDO4000) UIs to be terrible in terms or usability (e.g., the two multifunction knobs and button menus, with little apparent consistency) and it's also slow. IMHO, both the MSO5000 and SDS2000X Plus have better, more intuitive UIs than the MDO3000. The SDS2000X Plus is the more polished unit compared to the MSO5000 by some way.

I'd prefer it that all functions were available using the knobs and buttons without using the touch screen, the Siglent is the worst in that respect, whereas almost everything seems to be available on the Rigol. Of course as you know the Tek isn't touch screen enabled, so everything's on knobs & buttons. I prefer the direct independent channel controls of the Rigol & Tek to the shared controls on the Siglent.

The noise and UI delay when changing timebase is annoying on the MSO5000.

The best screen of the three scopes is the Siglent.

I find the memory management on the Rigol is perhaps the best of the lot, followed by the Siglent then the Tek: on the Tek I find myself having to continually adjust the acqusition settings to compromise between UI performance and desired capture length. The Siglent has a weird memory recording feature similar to segmented memory that's always on, and it's not my cup of tea.

I don't have any direct experience on the MSO7000, although I believe it's based the same front end ASICs as the MSO5000.

Of all three, there's no doubt I'd be using the Siglent as my daily driver... it wasn't for the two Keysights already on the bench which have the best UIs IMO ;-) although I also keep an MDO4000 on the bench as there are a very few features that scope has that I sometimes use that I don't have on my Keysights (USB HS & Ethernet decode, Magniview, deeper memory and very occasionally I even use the SA feature).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:51:24 pm by Howardlong »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2161 on: December 09, 2020, 08:37:07 pm »
Hello people,

If a higher sample rate and individual controls suit you better there is also the SDS5000X range.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/

These came out a year or so before SDS2000X Plus and the UI is very similar
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2162 on: December 09, 2020, 09:12:19 pm »
I don't have any direct experience on the MSO7000, although I believe it's based the same front end ASICs as the MSO5000.

Yepp,
Disappointed from the noise of my 5000, I´ve asked the rigol support of what about the 7000 and they wrote me, the frontend should be the same.
So I bought a 2000x+ instead of another rigol.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2163 on: December 09, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »
Forget the SDS5000X... wait for the SDS6000  :rant:

it's a damn shame they wont send that model over seas or i'd buy one.. price on tmall is pretty reasonable

https://www.siglent.com/products-annex/sds6000-pro/

Tell them to hurry up and sell that and the sps5000x.. i need a new power supply

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2164 on: December 09, 2020, 10:48:33 pm »

it's a damn shame they wont send that model over seas or i'd buy one.. price on tmall is pretty reasonable

https://www.siglent.com/products-annex/sds6000-pro/
Trouble is as it's a China only model at this time it is unlikely to offer an English UI. This was the case when I looked at a SDS3000 when visiting the factory in late 2014.
Tell them to hurry up and sell that and the sps5000x.. i need a new power supply
:)
I went fishing for a predicted release date last week but that request was ignored.  :-//
My guess now based on other new products we spot release will be early next year....maybe right before or after the Chinese NY late Jan or mid Feb.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2165 on: December 09, 2020, 10:51:48 pm »
Who needs an english UI? :P

Yeah that sounds about right.. then maybe first shipments april/may.. that lines up with a project i got so hopefully they do

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2166 on: December 09, 2020, 10:56:28 pm »

Hehe...
Me, I got a hint too.  8)
Honestly, from the view as a hobbist, I´m very confident with my sds2K+, in my opinion it beats up everything under it´s great brother sds5k.
And I´m playing with the thoughts to buy a sds5k seriously.
But it´s too near to the 2k+, so I´m waiting... ;)

Offline nihial

• Contributor
« Reply #2167 on: December 09, 2020, 11:11:57 pm »
Hello people,

If a higher sample rate and individual controls suit you better there is also the SDS5000X range.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/

These came out a year or so before SDS2000X Plus and the UI is very similar

This is slightly off topic but from what I gathered here and there I have the following cons (the ones that bothers me the most at least) :

MDO7000 :

-Noisy (how much I don't know)
-BP function doesn't exist (but on the 5000 it does??)
-People here seems to not like the UI (from what I recall from dave's videos it seems he liked the MSO7000 UI more than the SDS5000X's)

SDS5000X :
-External AWG, I really hate this

SDS2000X Plus:
-Only 1GS/s with 4 channels on
-No individual controls of the channels

I don't know if the SDS5000X front end is better than the SDS2000X plus' one, I know the price isn't a guarantee of quality but the price of the MDO7000 I saw on a quotation was 1000$ more than for the SDS5000X (350MHz version) and it's not obvious for me why the gap was so big.

Also I have 10days to decide which model I'd like
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:14:54 pm by nihial »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2168 on: December 09, 2020, 11:17:32 pm »

Hehe...
Me, I got a hint too.  8)
Honestly, from the view as a hobbist, I´m very confident with my sds2K+, in my opinion it beats up everything under it´s great brother sds5k.
And I´m playing with the thoughts to buy a sds5k seriously.
But it´s too near to the 2k+, so I´m waiting... ;)
IMHO they made a significant mistook not adding an internal AWG to SDS5kX or SDS6k Pro.  :(
However at least the SAG1021I AWG module is isolated output.  :phew:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:26:15 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2169 on: December 09, 2020, 11:27:56 pm »
IMHO they made a significant mistook not adding an internal AWG to SDS5kX or SDS6k Pro.

No Sir, in my opinion it´s the way to show that you will get a pro scope.... ;) 8)
Pro scopes are pure scopes without toys like this....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:30:20 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: thinkfat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2170 on: December 09, 2020, 11:30:38 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nihial

• Contributor
« Reply #2171 on: December 10, 2020, 12:16:50 am »
IMO you need consider future needs also and pricing of accessories you might not need right now.
Also running promotions:
https://www.siglenteu.com/news-article/address-more-applications-with-the-free-option-bundle-for-new-sds5000x-oscilloscopes/
https://www.siglenteu.com/news-article/save-up-to-e1464-with-a-new-sds2000x-plus-oscilloscope-and-option-bundle/

Accessories are pretty much known for every possible model I could chose, still looking for a good way to use tek current probes looks like it's possible with some efforts but that's not even mandatory.

Do you know if the sds2000x plus has a lower noise floor than the sds5000x (for the same BW of course) ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2172 on: December 10, 2020, 01:17:22 am »
IMO you need consider future needs also and pricing of accessories you might not need right now.
Also running promotions:
https://www.siglenteu.com/news-article/address-more-applications-with-the-free-option-bundle-for-new-sds5000x-oscilloscopes/
https://www.siglenteu.com/news-article/save-up-to-e1464-with-a-new-sds2000x-plus-oscilloscope-and-option-bundle/
Do you know if the sds2000x plus has a lower noise floor than the sds5000x (for the same BW of course) ?
Some simple noise measurements from my SDS5054X:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/msg2427846/#msg2427846
Another from Performa01 here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/msg2828666/#msg2828666
Accessories are pretty much known for every possible model I could chose, still looking for a good way to use tek current probes looks like it's possible with some efforts but that's not even mandatory.
A LeCroy active probe adapter is already available and a Tek one is to come later.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/msg3061084/#msg3061084
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #2173 on: December 10, 2020, 07:27:43 am »
IMHO they made a significant mistook not adding an internal AWG to SDS5kX or SDS6k Pro.

No Sir, in my opinion it´s the way to show that you will get a pro scope.... ;) 8)
Pro scopes are pure scopes without toys like this....

I agree with that. If you were to add an AWG to a "very serious" scope  and expect people to pay for enabling it, it cannot be a toy like in the SDS2k+.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2174 on: December 10, 2020, 07:59:52 am »
I don't know of any scope that has built in AWG that is not "toy".
They mostly have very limited capabilities, and low output levels..
I find them useful for FRA (that can be nicely polished by manufacturer when they have fixed hardware), and occasionally, for a quick "record-replay" of some signal (with ability to add noise to it)..

For everything else, outside AWG will be better.

That being said, you can do a lot with built in gen, many times you don't need fancy features.

So for me, it's not clear love/hate for those built in AWGs..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf