Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804957 times)

Offline svflir

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4425 on: March 19, 2014, 05:43:03 am »
I got a Flir with 1.21 firmware and hardware 1.1L

I tried the steps for the 1.21 hack and it didn't seem to work

I also have lost "MSX" under image modes

Any idea what I need to do next?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #4426 on: March 19, 2014, 05:47:21 am »
I got a Flir with 1.21 firmware and hardware 1.1L

I tried the steps for the 1.21 hack and it didn't seem to work

I also have lost "MSX" under image modes

Any idea what I need to do next?
my quess would be some error in the .conf - related to something containing "FUSION" ... "ENABLE" and "FALSE"

Offline svflir

« Reply #4427 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:55 am »
I attached my conf file before I re-ran ftool on it.   I did set the values to true based on the 1.19 conf file that I downloaded.

Also the resolution didn't seem to have changed at all, so something didn't take

I did replace the file using rdnis and ftp after I re-ran ftool -e on it with the values I got after running ftool -d.  I have checked my line feeds and believe I did the CRC03 correctly

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4428 on: March 19, 2014, 06:08:30 am »
I attached my conf file before I re-ran ftool on it.   I did set the values to true based on the 1.19 conf file that I downloaded.

Also the resolution didn't seem to have changed at all, so something didn't take

I did replace the file using rdnis and ftp after I re-ran ftool -e on it with the values I got after running ftool -d.  I have checked my line feeds and believe I did the CRC03 correctly

Any help greatly appreciated!

.caps.config.image.sysimg.measureFuncs.isotherm.invInterval bool trueb  <- b too much at the end ... maybe that's the whole error

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #4429 on: March 19, 2014, 07:07:11 am »
Can anyone tell me, is it possible to adjust horizontal shift (not vertical, which is corrected by menu) between visible and thermal image? Is there any settings in config file (I have 1.19 unlocked device) for that?

I have slightly misaligned images, and wand to fix it. But I don't like the idea to disassemble the camera and tilt visible camera physically.

Offline schdiewen

• Contributor
« Reply #4430 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:15 am »
@Ivan7enych:

Someone else had a similar problem only 3 days ago, see this and the following posts from tomas123 for a solution:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg406311/#msg406311

You only need to determine/adjust the values for X if you're happy with vertical shift.

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #4431 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:51 am »
Thank you! :) I've missed that discussion.

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #4432 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »
Which focal length do you find more useful?

If I had to choose only one, I'd go with the 100 mm (4 inch) focal length. The 50 shows more detail but has to get so close to the board that the camera face is occasionally bumping up against heat sinks or connectors. Plus the field of view is smaller so there's a bit more scanning around required. With the 100 you can see more of the board and then use the digital zoom to get "closer" to individual components. That trades resolution for magnification, of course.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4433 on: March 19, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »
+1 for 100mm FL ZnSe lens.

The 100mm is my most used focal length and the 50mm is used when I need to get up close and analyse an SMD chip or similar. As has been said, I find the 50mm can cause issues with things like heatsinks, chassis parts etc. getting in the way.There is a 75mm FL lens I believe, that may be a happy medium ? Personally I recommend having two adapters, one with the 100mm and one with the 50mm FL. The 3D printed adapter cost me GBP4 each and the lenses were around GBP20 each. Not a massive expense for the aditional capability that they provide for PCB work.

Note that the depth of field is quite small when using these lenses so a steady hand or tripod mount adapter is recommended for good still image captures.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:57:46 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4434 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »
E4 Partial Serial Numbers and Dates of Calibration -
Data collection continues

My thanks to all those E4 owners who have already submitted their E4 camera details for inclusion in the 'E4 Useful information' thread. By keeping a log of partial serial numbers, calibration dates and fimware versions it helps the Forum track changes and extrapolate useful information on production, countermeasure releases etc.

For those who have not provided their details, I would appreciate the data. Worry not, I do not want your full serial number or ANY persnal information. A serial number containing all except the last 2 numbers is enough for our purposes here.

It will be posted here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

Please provide the following:

Partial Serial Number 6390 NNxx or 6391 NNxx  (N= your E4 numbers. xx is place holder only)
Calibration Date (On a card in the E4 box)
Firmware (1.18.7, 1.18.8, 1.19.8, 1.21.0, 1.22.0)
Hardware (1.0, 1.1, 1.1L)

Please send this information by PM to me to avoid clogging up this thread.

This information will be posted on this forum as part of the Useful information thread and will not be used for any other purposes.

For those unaware, please also be aware that the .jpg images produced by the E4 camera contain lots of metadata, including your full serial number. Even when a photographic data removal tool is used, the serial number can often still be read in FLIR Tools ! If releasing your full serial number in public is a concern to you, be very careful if you post images to web sites as you may unknowingly provide that data, and in doing so confirm that your camera has been 'upgraded' if the thermal image is 320x240 on an E4  ;)

Aurora
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:25:28 pm by Aurora »

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4435 on: March 19, 2014, 03:34:20 pm »
Another question regarding ZnSe lens holder:
makes any difference having it turned in Al and anodized?
I'm thinking to use it to protect the front of the camera
from hot air from a small reflow hot plate, better than
PLA plastic , I suppose.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4436 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:50 pm »
@muvideo,

A good question. I am intending to make some aluminium and/or nylon adappter plates to position larger lenses in front of the E4. In theory the shiny rear to the metal adapter could cause heat reflection issues back towards the camera lens but I have not seen such when using metal plates in front of the E4.

I personally selected ABS for the ZnSe adapters as I do not like PLA.

Be aware that you must not use any acidic adhesives to secure a ZnSe lens into its mount. ZnSe reacts badly with acids...see the materials safet sheet.

With regard to your specified usage with a radiant heat source, I recommend you consider fitting the ZnSe lens inside an adapter, metal or plastic, and then using thermal insulator stand-off's to mount a heat shield just in front. The Heat shield should be nice and shiny on the front to reflect the radiated heat away from the camera. For this reason I recommend that a polished aluminium plate be used that extends beyond the dimensions of the E4's head. The viewing hole in the heatshield should be sized to accomodate the field of view and not too large. Do not be tempted to fit a Germanium window in the heat shield as Germanium becomes opaque to thermal energy as its physical temperature rises ! i.e. its transmission performance decreases at higher temperatures. Anything near to 100 Degrees C is bad news.  ZnSe is not effected in this way so the close-up lens will actually protect the E4's lens somewhat.

Info is to be found here:

http://www.tydexoptics.com/materials1/for_transmission_optics/germanium/

and here:

http://www.alkor.net/germanium_windows_and_lenses.html

Also, remember that the E4 'tops out' at +250 Degrees C, so that may be a limiting factor where soldering temperatures are involved.

Aurora

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:34:11 pm by Aurora »

Offline svflir

« Reply #4437 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »
@Taucher thank you so much, I feel like an idiot, the typo should do it

Offline lightsgo

Re: EzCRC01
« Reply #4438 on: March 19, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »
EzCRC01
I took the liberty and made a simplified version of CRC01 - called EzCRC01
Just extract the attached zip archive, doubleclick EzCRC01.exe and follow the on screen instructions
edit3: To complete the process your e8.conf (lowercase "e" important) needs to be placed on the camera (via .FIF or RNDIS+FTP) - then cold boot your cam (battery removal)

It's intended as supplement to Mikes files and as a codebase for an in-place-crc01-updater.

EDIT2: Replaced with static version (64 bit)

Hello,
I have been pouring through the forum and can't seem to find a solution. I know Im a first time poster and trust me, I tried to find the answer by searching a few hours.
When I run EzCRC01 in the EzCRC01-V01-static folder Through VM Ware with Windows XP I get an error saying it is not a valid Win32 Application. Do I need to run this on Windows 7??
I have tried to run the CRC03 through CMD and I get a [!] Unable to open input file error.
I hope that I can be pointed in the right direction. Maybe its as simple as needing Windows 7?
Thanks

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4439 on: March 19, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »
I have two machines, one running vmware and xp pro and one running windows 7. Just tried your method and got the same results! Ran the same on the windows 7 machine with zero problems. I am not a computer expert but i suspect the virtual machine is causing the problem. Without testing on a straight up windows xp machine i can't know for sure. If you have the ability to run it on a different machine i would try that.

On another note, has anyone been able to capture an image with the e4 zoom function turned on? I did read some previous posts that mentioned the zoom has image enhancement to bump it to 320x240 but did not hear of anyone trying to capture a zoomed image. My camera automatically exits the zoom after a trigger pull and stores a 1x image. Might be the way it is supposed to work, not sure! I would think capturing a zoomed image would be the point to having the zoom function.
My e4 is running 1.19.8 with 1.1hw (non L version). Any input would be appreciated.

Offline harry h

• Contributor
« Reply #4440 on: March 19, 2014, 09:31:12 pm »
On another note, has anyone been able to capture an image with the e4 zoom function turned on? I did read some previous posts that mentioned the zoom has image enhancement to bump it to 320x240 but did not hear of anyone trying to capture a zoomed image. My camera automatically exits the zoom after a trigger pull and stores a 1x image. Might be the way it is supposed to work, not sure! I would think capturing a zoomed image would be the point to having the zoom function.
My e4 is running 1.19.8 with 1.1hw (non L version). Any input would be appreciated.

Mine does the same thing.

Harry

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4441 on: March 19, 2014, 09:37:10 pm »
+1 for the 100mm lens.
I have both a 50 and a 100. I first bought the 50 and instantly discovered that it was too short as I was bumping all the time in heatsinks and even tall lytics.
So I bought the 100 and almost never use the 50 anymore except for special occasions, but if I should only own one lens and holder, it would be the 100 that fits most needs perfectly.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4442 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:49 pm »
When I run EzCRC01 in the EzCRC01-V01-static folder Through VM Ware with Windows XP I get an error saying it is not a valid Win32 Application. Do I need to run this on Windows 7??
I have tried to run the CRC03 through CMD and I get a [!] Unable to open input file error.
I hope that I can be pointed in the right direction. Maybe its as simple as needing Windows 7?

I can confirm this. (see german error message)

CRC01.exe from first post runs under Win XP
see screenshot below

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4443 on: March 19, 2014, 09:51:05 pm »
Regarding the saving of zoomed images.......

You have to select the zoom level (X2, X4, X8) and then press the navigation pad centre to confirm the selection and exit the menu. You can then see the zoomed image and save it as normal using the trigger. The saved image is that seen in the zoomed mode.

If you do not exit the Menu, operating the trigger makes the camera return to its last settings, i.e. no zoom, or last correctly selected zoom setting.

I am running a FW 1.19.8 / HW 1.0 E4 with Version Beta 2B (My version of Tauchers excellent 'master' file) menu configuration (not Beta 3)

Aurora
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:00:51 pm by Aurora »

Offline harry h

• Contributor
« Reply #4444 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:53 pm »
Aurora, that just makes way too much senseā€¦  and it works.  Thanks

Harry

Offline lightsgo

« Reply #4445 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
Thanks for confirming! Im just tankful that I didn't miss a prior post.
Is there a know solution for those running VM ware on a mac with either Windows XP or 7 that is know to work?

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4446 on: March 19, 2014, 10:44:56 pm »
Ditto! Thanks Aurora! I was selecting the zoom level (ie 4x) with the center button but leaving the menu bar up.
Exiting the menu functions totally before the camera acknowledges it does make sense. Just plain missed it!!

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4447 on: March 19, 2014, 10:51:06 pm »

Well, you COULD install WinXP 64 bit ... there it (EZCRC01) would work - just as with any other X86 based 64-bit Windows.
Anyway the sourcecode is included for anybody wanting to re-compile or modify it - like for CRC03 etc.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:53:00 pm by Taucher »

Offline lightsgo

« Reply #4448 on: March 19, 2014, 10:59:45 pm »

Well, you COULD install WinXP 64 bit ... there it (EZCRC01) would work - just as with any other X86 based 64-bit Windows.
Anyway the sourcecode is included for anybody wanting to re-compile or modify it - like for CRC03 etc.
Thanks so much for clarifying!
I have Windows 7 64bit on its way! I just wanted to see if that threw up a flag, and it has! Im not to the level of editing source code and I only use the VM ware for the rare occurrence of needing to interact with a device that isn't mac compatible (my brother P touch).
Thanks so much for your contribution to the whole thing!

Offline Baya73

« Reply #4449 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:33 am »
Hi Guys, has anyone found a way to keep the temperature scale settings from going back to automatic when powering down the camera ? The auto-scale is nice but most of the time I would like to keep the scale in manual with fixed temperatures so I can compare images taken at different intervals. All of the other menus keep the last feature: Image mode, Measurement, color palette even the new "zoom" feature keeps the last setting.

Thanks !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf