Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 496116 times)

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3025 on: May 03, 2023, 06:12:04 pm »
Here is a Device file for the HP 53131A Universal Counter. A few screen shots are attached.
Some notes:
  • This was developed with TC version 2.34, using a Prologix GPIB-Ethernet adapter.
  • While some 20 measurement modes are supported, not all have been thoroughly tested. So bugs no doubt remain to be found.
  • Support for the 3rd channel is hard-coded. It should really be conditioned on the response to the *OPT? query, but that is not yet done.

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3026 on: May 04, 2023, 08:57:15 am »
I checked the code and you are correct, it is not possible.
The documentation only descibes local and global vars, but there is a third option: A script can be declared (in my code, not in scripting) as a child of another script and this means it will have access to the variables. The variable names is seached with local first, then parent scripts, then global and stops on first match. This is used in TC, but not everywhere.
To create a global variable it must be declared with globalvar, that works in the same way as var.

Generally globalvar is not supposed to be used in any device definition, because then only one instance of that device can be connected at a time.

I accepted defeat and resorted to using a selector with controls that are always enabled or always disabled. It's probably not as elegant but it solves the problem.
Code: [Select]
;----- OPERATION STATE CONTROLS (RUN/PAUSE/STOP)

#cmdSetup info Operation_State
:read: OPER:STAT?

#cmdSetup selector Operation_State
:read: OPER:STAT?
:string:
STOP Run_Allow. Pause_NAllow. Stop_NAllow.
RUN Run_NAllow. Pause_Allow. Stop_NAllow.
PAUSE Run_Allow. Pause_NAllow. Stop_Allow.

#cmdSetup button Run Run_Allow
:write: OPER:SET "011"
:update: Operation_State
:enable 1

#cmdSetup button Run Run_NAllow
:write: OPER:SET "011"
:enable: 0

#cmdSetup button Pause Pause_Allow
:write: OPER:SET "051"
:enable: 1

#cmdSetup button Pause Pause_NAllow
:write: OPER:SET "051"

#cmdSetup button Stop Stop_Allow
:write: OPER:SET "021"
:enable: 1

#cmdSetup button Stop Stop_NAllow
:write: OPER:SET "021"

I'm having a separate issue with #cmdSetup combobox as well unfortunately.
I can see in the debug output that the defined combobox controls are outputting the correct values, and the correct values are being read by TC, but the combobox always displays the first option in the list after reading back, even if the value shows something else in the debug output.
Is this because I'm using them to set/read a numeric value?
If I replace the combobox with a #cmdSetup number control, that reads back correctly without issue.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3027 on: May 04, 2023, 09:32:49 am »
I accepted defeat and resorted to using a selector with controls that are always enabled or always disabled. It's probably not as elegant but it solves the problem.

Not as elegant when you want the controls shown.
I am working on adding vars for the info control.

I'm having a separate issue with #cmdSetup combobox as well unfortunately.
I can see in the debug output that the defined combobox controls are outputting the correct values, and the correct values are being read by TC, but the combobox always displays the first option in the list after reading back, even if the value shows something else in the debug output.
Is this because I'm using them to set/read a numeric value?
If I replace the combobox with a #cmdSetup number control, that reads back correctly without issue.

A combobox will compare strings, i.e. 1 1. and 1.0 are 3 different values, a number control will see then as the same value.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3028 on: May 04, 2023, 09:42:50 am »
Not as elegant when you want the controls shown.
I am working on adding vars for the info control.

The controls were defined so that they are always appear to be visible, but in fact the selector changes between pages, each page with its own version of the control that may be :enable: 0 or :enable: 1 as needed.

A combobox will compare strings, i.e. 1 1. and 1.0 are 3 different values, a number control will see then as the same value.

I suspected that was the case, but was led astray by the debug output.
The debug output was indicating they were being read in as single digit strings without a decimal. I've just swapped a :readformat: for a :readmath: that typecasts as int and that solves it. Thanks!

Just before you replied I had devised the formulas to convert from number to display as string, and then to take the displayed string and convert back to number, which was a challenging but nonetheless interesting exercise!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:26:29 am by jmurray »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3029 on: May 04, 2023, 04:04:23 pm »
Just before you replied I had devised the formulas to convert from number to display as string, and then to take the displayed string and convert back to number, which was a challenging but nonetheless interesting exercise!

There are functions to do that, they give you many more possibilities that the automatic typecase.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3030 on: May 05, 2023, 12:22:14 am »
Another query:

I've tried to use the #cmdSetup multi as part of a #cmdSetup set. Reading values in works fine with suitable :readmath: or :readformat: tags, but when I transmit the values with the #cmdSetup set, it always transmits the :write: parameter for the multi as a literal string - my :write: tags contain formulas to convert values into suitable data packets.
I've tried wrapping it with brackets, quotes, and combinations of, but it always transmits the :write: tag as a literal string. Can this be done or am I pushing the limits?

It's not vital that it works as a multi, but would just allow me a bit more flexibility in tidying up the layout of the Setup dialogue.

Sample below:

Code: (Definition) [Select]
#scpiCmd SET:MODE? txrxn? 31 "@0122" / 5h2 7h1 8h2 10h2 12h2 14h2 16h1 17h2/10 19h2/10 21h2/10 23h2/10 25h1

#scpiCmd SET:MODE txrxn 12 "@0112" (value) / 5h2

#cmdSetup multi Start_Time Mode_Settings
:read: SET:MODE?
:readmath: getElement(value,2) + " " + getElement(value,3) + " " + getElement(value,4) + " " + getElement(value,5)
:write: ("(bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2)))")
number hrs _ 0 23
number mins _ 0 59
number Month _ 1 12
number Date _ 1 31

#cmdSetup set Update_Mode_Settings Mode_Settings
:write: SET:MODE
:update: Mode_Settings.Operation_Mode_Test
Mode_Settings.Link/Pattern_Number_Execution Mode_Settings.Operation_Mode Mode_Settings.Start_Time Mode_Settings.Power_Recovery_Mode Mode_Settings.Wait_Temperature_Neg Mode_Settings.Wait_Temperature_Pos Mode_Settings.Wait_Humidity_Neg Mode_Settings.Wait_Humidity_Pos Mode_Settings.Running_At_End
\x20

Code: (Debug Output:) [Select]
Tx <SET:MODE 0x30 0x39 0x30 ("(bytesAsHex(hex(round(9),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(54),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(12),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(5),2)))") 0x30 0x30 0x41 0x30 0x41 0x31 0x39 0x31 0x39 0x30>

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3031 on: May 05, 2023, 09:32:08 am »
I've tried to use the #cmdSetup multi as part of a #cmdSetup set. Reading values in works fine with suitable :readmath: or :readformat: tags, but when I transmit the values with the #cmdSetup set, it always transmits the :write: parameter for the multi as a literal string - my :write: tags contain formulas to convert values into suitable data packets.
I've tried wrapping it with brackets, quotes, and combinations of, but it always transmits the :write: tag as a literal string. Can this be done or am I pushing the limits?

:write: ("(bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) (bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2)))")

I am not sure exactly what you are doing, but your write line do not make sense.

Something like this will probably work better:
:write: ((bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) +bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) +(bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))) +(bytesAsHex(hex(round(#),2))))

I have removed the quotes and made it into a real expression by adding + between the elements.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3032 on: May 05, 2023, 02:23:23 pm »
HJK,

Here are some instrument device driver file updates and some new instrument device driver files to include in the next TestController release.

Updated Driver Files:

Keithley 2260B Power Supplies.txt
       Tested equivalent GW Intek supply and fixed typos in GW Instek #idstrings
   GW-Instek ASR-2000.txt
       Updated file for faster logging and added interface commands

Ametek 600-1.4.txt
      Minor updates and added interface commands

Owon ODP6033.txt
      Minor update

Yokogawa Power Analyzer.txt
       Yokogawa power analyzers can't be all put into one file.  So, for this file changed the file name.
       Please delete this file from from future releases.  See New Driver Files section for replacement file.

New Driver Files:

Yokogawa WT3000 Power Analyzer.txt
      This is just a file name change on existing "Yokogawa Power Analyzer.txt" driver file.

Yokogawa WT5000 Power Analyzer.txt
      Newer Yokogawa power analyzer.  Uses different comm, commands than WT3000 hence a different file.

Vitrek PA900.txt
      Power analyzer

Hioki PW6001.txt
      Power Analyzer

Vitrek V7x.tx
      Hipot safety tester family

Sorensen DCS DC Supply.txt
      Power supply family

Owon TAO3104.txt
      Tablet oscilloscope

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3033 on: May 06, 2023, 01:56:44 pm »
HKJ,

I was able to test the Racal-Dana 1998-1999 definition fie I submitted here, two pages back with an original Prologix GPIB-USB adapter.
I made some minor adjustments to the definition file, so could you please re-download it?

Of coarse the definition file also worked with the Prologix. But I was surprised to find that there were differences in speed, With the Prologix I could log a bit faster.
The most surprising thing was that when I registered the AR488 in TestController as a Prologix it also worked a bit faster. (But not as much as the original Prologix.)

Regards, Gertjan.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3034 on: May 06, 2023, 04:13:20 pm »
I was able to test the Racal-Dana 1998-1999 definition fie I submitted here, two pages back with an original Prologix GPIB-USB adapter.
I made some minor adjustments to the definition file, so could you please re-download it?

When you make a updated version it is easeast for me if you just post it in a new post.

Of coarse the definition file also worked with the Prologix. But I was surprised to find that there were differences in speed, With the Prologix I could log a bit faster.
The most surprising thing was that when I registered the AR488 in TestController as a Prologix it also worked a bit faster. (But not as much as the original Prologix.)

I probably use slightly different commands to control read/write.
Each GPIB driver can also switch GPIB parameters between devices, but due to a softwaren fault multiple devices on the same GPIB controller do not work yet.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3035 on: May 07, 2023, 04:41:29 pm »
I will add a thanks for all the new/updated drivers from all 3 people, I have added them to  TC.
Except  Vitrek V7x, it looks like it only have the connection and nothing else.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3036 on: May 08, 2023, 12:45:45 pm »
HJK,

You are correct that Vitrek Hipot tester is only communications.  I am not sure it makes sense to log data from this device???  The intent is that it would be automated via a script which only requires communications working.

However, it should have a Setup popup.  I will also re-think what data might be worth logging beyond Pass/Fail.  I will re-submit once I have that complete.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3037 on: May 08, 2023, 05:08:57 pm »
You are correct that Vitrek Hipot tester is only communications.  I am not sure it makes sense to log data from this device???  The intent is that it would be automated via a script which only requires communications working.

However, it should have a Setup popup.  I will also re-think what data might be worth logging beyond Pass/Fail.  I will re-submit once I have that complete.

I would like voltage and leak current logged.
A setup popup will allow you to control it from popups.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3038 on: May 10, 2023, 02:02:24 am »
Hi HKJ,

Does the Modbus driver support streaming data, in the same manner as the Block and AsciiBlock drivers?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3039 on: May 10, 2023, 09:36:00 am »
Does the Modbus driver support streaming data, in the same manner as the Block and AsciiBlock drivers?

No, the MODBUS protocol always works with a command and a answer.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3040 on: May 11, 2023, 06:50:00 am »
Hi HKJ,

Please find attached a device definition file to suit B&K Precision 9115, 9116, and 9117 DC power supplies.

I have a handful of other, much more complicated definitions in the works but would like to make sure they are a bit more polished before submitting.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3041 on: May 13, 2023, 09:29:12 am »
Hi HKJ,

Please find attached a device definition file to suit B&K Precision 9115, 9116, and 9117 DC power supplies.

I have a handful of other, much more complicated definitions in the works but would like to make sure they are a bit more polished before submitting.

Thanks, it  will be included in the next release.

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3042 on: May 14, 2023, 07:59:23 am »
HKJ is there any detention for SDS2104X plus scope, There is SiglentSDSxxxxxx.txt file, it did not support the scope, So I have just added these lines to it

#metadef
#author MikeLud
#idString Siglent Technologies,SDS2104X Plus,
#name Siglent SDS2104X
#handle SDS2104X
#replaceText AV C1:PAVA? RMS;C2:PAVA? RMS;C3:PAVA? RMS;C4:PAVA? RMS;C1:PAVA? PKPK;C2:PAVA? PKPK;C3:PAVA? PKPK;C4:PAVA? PKPK

But it seems it makes the software very lagy and also some times it freezes the software.
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3043 on: May 14, 2023, 04:25:52 pm »
HKJ is there any detention for SDS2104X plus scope, There is SiglentSDSxxxxxx.txt file, it did not support the scope, So I have just added these lines to it

#metadef
#author MikeLud
#idString Siglent Technologies,SDS2104X Plus,
#name Siglent SDS2104X
#handle SDS2104X
#replaceText AV C1:PAVA? RMS;C2:PAVA? RMS;C3:PAVA? RMS;C4:PAVA? RMS;C1:PAVA? PKPK;C2:PAVA? PKPK;C3:PAVA? PKPK;C4:PAVA? PKPK

But it seems it makes the software very lagy and also some times it freezes the software.

I have not checked it, but replacing AV with lots of AV will probabaly do a lot of damage to the generated file.

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3044 on: May 15, 2023, 08:27:28 am »
Thanks HKJ, Do you have a config file for SDS2104X plus scopes?
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3045 on: May 15, 2023, 04:12:58 pm »
Thanks HKJ, Do you have a config file for SDS2104X plus scopes?

The unpublished additions you can find by going back in this thread (Until last release).
For included additions you can check first post or this page: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerSupportedEquipment%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: ali_asadzadeh

Offline pivous

« Reply #3046 on: May 16, 2023, 01:34:57 pm »
"Hello, I would also like to control the old DMM Advantest R6551. Does anyone happen to have a configuration file for it? If not, could someone at least recommend a suitable template from the existing ones? The device has only GPIB interface, and the link to its manual is provided here:

http://manuals.repeater-builder.com/te-files/ADVANTEST/ADV%20R6551,%20R6551EMC%20Operation.pdf

If anybody can kick me to start to create this file, many many thaks.

Ivo

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3047 on: May 16, 2023, 03:21:41 pm »
"Hello, I would also like to control the old DMM Advantest R6551. Does anyone happen to have a configuration file for it? If not, could someone at least recommend a suitable template from the existing ones? The device has only GPIB interface, and the link to its manual is provided here:
Ivo
The command structure of the HP3478A is roughly similar to that of the Advantest R6551, so you might find some general ideas in the Device File for the HP3478A, which uses the "ASCII" driver of TestController.

Offline pivous

« Reply #3048 on: May 17, 2023, 08:33:31 am »
Thank you! I am planning to connect the Advantest with AR488 interface. Do you expect any troubles?

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3049 on: May 17, 2023, 02:47:25 pm »
Thank you! I am planning to connect the Advantest with AR488 interface. Do you expect any troubles?
The "ASCII" driver mentioned above does not refer to the connection type, but rather to the command format used by the device in question. So you can have an "ASCII" device with a GPIB connection like the AR488 or Prologix and that works fine.
Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf