Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204707 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2175 on: January 26, 2014, 03:01:30 am »
help, replace the file on your DST1102B dso.exe (I do not remember how) now boot up logo on UART is not available (nor any greeting Putty)
normally even if you delete every file, the DSO will still load bootloader and later kernel, so you should see messages from both of them. I guess you attached UART adapter, booted DSO then (but DSO stopped in bootloader) and then you deleted something in bootloader (probably purged it). Now what you can do is to restore the bootloader - and before i tell you how i need to know what hw/fw revision was installed (or at least what is your SN, < or > than 15000) and maybe how old is your DSO.

What should I do!

- send it back to distributor (warranty case)
- where you from? maybe it is cheaper/easier when you send it to me (i can for sure restore it)
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline gafbich

• Contributor
« Reply #2176 on: January 26, 2014, 07:04:00 am »
I would like to send him anywhere and not solve the problem by hand, using your valuable suggestions. It's new, it is about 1 week. I have a week to NAND programmer available. But exactly how to solve this problem by using a JTAG or UART. Not that he wrote smushaytes model ADS1102CAL +. Although the menu interface completely ATTEN.
In my arsenal is J-Link ARM, ARM-USB-OCD, USB-UART.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:55:42 am by gafbich »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: January 26, 2014, 11:58:23 am »
I would like to send him anywhere and not solve the problem by hand, using your valuable suggestions.

i don't see anything broken, the DSO is booting. So all you missing is boot logo and no serial port?

It's new, it is about 1 week. I have a week to NAND programmer available.
...model ADS1102CAL +.
Although the menu interface completely ATTEN.

hehe, that looks cool. I said some time ago that they will probably produce as well for ATTEN,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-atten-dso-discovered/msg264137/#msg264137

and it seems you have one of these new ATTENs (with Tekway/Hantek inside).

If you don't mind, make some other pictures  (outside and inside).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline gafbich

• Contributor
« Reply #2178 on: January 26, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »
Well, I do what you need pictures, and you help me make a repair program today.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: January 26, 2014, 01:24:08 pm »
Well, I do what you need pictures, and you help me make a repair program today.

sure, but you have to tell me exactly what yoyu did, what worked before and what didn't work now.

Offline gafbich

• Contributor
« Reply #2180 on: January 26, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »
means so worked initially everything, then on the second day at work with scanned picture crumbled. I decided to flash it, no firmware is not approached, I found that on an embedded operating system in the device linux. In the search for the desired firmware, I replaced the file dso.exe found in this thread, after replacing the oscilloscope to load the logo and all the buttons are lit by UART access is no more, using JTAG not figured out how to flash it!

Offline kallsop

« Reply #2181 on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:10 pm »
Ordered a Hantek DSO5062B, can't wait to get it and a big thanks to tinhead all the others who are working on these scopes.

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »
tinhead
www.hantek.com/Product/DSO5000Series/DSO5102B_Firmware.zip
Newly firmware 5000B series, contain dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up (3 325 038 byte) 01.14.2014

"error 0xf7 illegal update file detected"
 gpg.exe with "0571tekway" - decryption failed:bad key :o
What could it mean?

upd.
password: dso5000b  :palm:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:09:54 pm by walt »

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2183 on: January 27, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »
tinhead
Newly firmware 5000B series, contain dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up (3 325 038 byte) 01.14.2014

What could it mean?

upd.

maybe is for the latest hardware
the dso5000bm and p series is updated too
maybe tinhead can tell us what is all about...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:06:33 pm by n8ddd »

Offline Reuel T

« Reply #2184 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:52 am »
Hello
I wish to thank tinhead and everyone else on this thread for excellent information & service.
I bought a Tekway DSK1102B from
http://www.triotest.com.au/shop/en/home/1961-tekway-dst1102b-digital-oscilloscope-with-wide-screen-hd-display.html for only AUD$467.05 delivered (incl GST) and after the hack has a 200MHz scope. It used to cost 3 time the price just 2 years ago here in AU.

On the "ringing frequency" issue at 10M pointed out by Dave, I found that there is zero overshoot/undershoot problem if I just use a 100:1 (250Mhz) passive probe that cost me $59.

Thanks again

Reuel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: January 28, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »
tinhead

What could it mean?

upd.

maybe is for the latest hardware
the dso5000bm and p series is updated too
maybe tinhead can tell us what is all about...

exact, this is firmware for the latest hardware hw1001 with firmware 3.x loaded on it. It is compiled for Linux 3.x
and SoC S3C2416. Sure, with "some" tricks i can made it working on an old hw1007 BMV model (as it have 2.6.30.4 Linux).
But generaly one should not use 3.x firmware on hw0, hw1005, hw1007 DSOs ans hw1001 handhelds (so all with S3C2440 SoC).

One might ask "what now with old hardware", well nothing, the firmware can be with no issues compiled for older hardware as well (as done for MSOs), no idea why Hantek/Tekway haven't released any 2.x version as well. Some day they will for sure stop to support older models, but currently they have to, the S3C2416 SoC loaded models are < 1 yr old, so there are still models with S3C2440 SoC and within warranty (and support).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2186 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
means so worked initially everything, then on the second day at work with scanned picture crumbled. I decided to flash it, no firmware is not approached, I found that on an embedded operating system in the device linux. In the search for the desired firmware, I replaced the file dso.exe found in this thread, after replacing the oscilloscope to load the logo and all the buttons are lit by UART access is no more, using JTAG not figured out how to flash it!

so let summarize:
- you bought new ATTEN
- that DSO is using firmware 1.9 (which is unknown version for me)
- that DSO is using hardware 1100x19F48106 (which is unknown version for me)

and then :
- you ignored the fact that nobody knows that hardware and firmware version
- you installed dso.exe found in this thread (sorry, but why you did it? i nor others posted anything
  what would match your hardware adn firmware from that ATTEN)
- you tried to replace logo (where? in /logo, in disp or in frame buffer driver? Because this all depends
  on hardware and firmware and linux version - which are all unknown for me on you DSO)
- you wish now to flash something? what do you want to flash?

Sorry, but i can't help you with that. If i would have an dump from such model (which i don't have),
then i would for sure spend time and try to exract necessary files/bins to help you to restore your DSO.

It might be (and this is big ???) that your ATTEN is nothing else that HanTekway B or P model, but it can
be as well complettly new mainboard with unknown compoentns arragement/routing. this is why i said
"make some pictures", as this is the only way to identify the mainboard. Having this, maybe (and really maybe)
it will be possible to get proper files from other matching models. But as said above, currenltly i don't know that
hardware nor the firmware version.

Offline DLT

« Reply #2187 on: January 28, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
Hi All,
         big thanks to Tinhead and all other contributors!

I have just purchased an MSO5062D; serial number 156xx, with motherboard 1.01, 2014/1/4. HW1010, SW 3.2.35.   (  :) )

Some questions:
1) what is backup method for these > 15000 units? (Not listed for MSO and ser no  > 15000)
2) can I upgrade bandwidth as usual (rename dst file in root, or use DSO_BW_Changer, etc?)
3) I guess this doesn't change the LA part (always 500mS/s?)
4) How to enable LAN? There is a transformer position on both the LA sub-board and the main board - which to use? Any software changes?

There is now a 4 pin header next to the LAN jack for UART access (documented on your page 125). Also a 10 pin now on other side of LAN jack - I havent seen a picture of that in the blog so far...

UART converter - I use an (very!) old mobile phone Serial cable, one with a "box" halfway down containing an RS232 chip - cut off the phone end and connect to the scope (look up chip used in the box to discover connections...).

I'll see if I can take some decent pictures - anything else you want to know about this newer version?

Thanks for listening!

Offline DLT

« Reply #2188 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »
... oops, that was meant to be motherboard 1,01, 2013/1/4 (not 2014!)      ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:40 pm »
Some questions:
1) what is backup method for these > 15000 units? (Not listed for MSO and ser no  > 15000)

right, this is because nanddump seems to not working properly (at least didn't worked properly on lot of "P" models).
Your MSO have nanddump installed (actually compiled into busybox), so you can try to made backups manually or via (any ARM)JTAG adapter (dump whole NAND together with OOB blocks).

2) can I upgrade bandwidth as usual (rename dst file in root, or use DSO_BW_Changer, etc?)

yes, nothing changed here (except logo which is now compiled into frame buffer driver, but who cares about boot logo)

3) I guess this doesn't change the LA part (always 500mS/s?)

exact, there is no way to update LA - not the sample rate nor the memory depth nor other things.

4) How to enable LAN? There is a transformer position on both the LA sub-board and the main board - which to use? Any software changes?

DM9000AEP chip, H1102NL magnetics and RJHSE-5381 RJ45 jack - that's all. the device driver is there. The firmware itself would enable things like ssh/telnet/ftp - but no option (as of today) to (cleanly) access to the firmware itself for remote control or snapshots.

However ... the latest "B" model firmware does have "LAN options" now, so they not far from releasing LAN support

There is now a 4 pin header next to the LAN jack for UART access (documented on your page 125). Also a 10 pin now on other side of LAN jack - I havent seen a picture of that in the blog so far...

yes, this is JTAG port for the CPLD

UART converter - I use an (very!) old mobile phone Serial cable, one with a "box" halfway down containing an RS232 chip - cut off the phone end and connect to the scope (look up chip used in the box to discover connections...).

let me guess, something like DLR3-P? I have such adapter as well, it does works and i don't need any crap USB drivers (lucky me, i have HP mws/notebook with RS232 and LPT ports ... even replacement display, mainboard, memory and cpu)

I'll see if I can take some decent pictures - anything else you want to know about this newer version?

thanks, but i got good pictures already (except your LA PCB version is different than v1.00.3). Oh well, you got these new LA cables as well, what inside the small plastic box? I guess only converter from 1.25 flat cable to 2.54 header?

What i'm looking for are:
- dump of the CPLD (the CPLD can be read-back with Altera USB Blaster)
- full NAND dump from latest B, BMV and MSO models
- full NAND dump, pictures, what so ever from latest Handhelds (in case they have S3C2416 SoC as well now)
- paypal donations (link to donation page in my profile/website link) to continue my work (e.g. on schematic for curent models)

Offline DLT

« Reply #2190 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:46 pm »
...thanks tinhead - lots to do there - I'll try to keep you updated...

I have an Altera Blaster, so may be able to get FPGA image? Is it main board, LA or both you want? Also will attempt some NAND dumps - command via terminal, output to USB I guess...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2191 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:42 pm »
...thanks tinhead - lots to do there - I'll try to keep you updated...

I have an Altera Blaster, so may be able to get FPGA image? Is it main board, LA or both you want? Also will attempt some NAND dumps - command via terminal, output to USB I guess...

no, not from FPGA but from CPLD (the MAX II EPM240 CPLD, connected to that 10pin header near RJ45).

Both FPGAs (DSO and LA boards) are not what i'm looking for, their designs are known as they will be loaded during each boot from /lib/firmware directiry. But CPLD, that was pre-programmed in factory and in case someone destroy it it would be good to have a copy (i do have for all hw0 to hw1007 models, but not for the latest models).

Offline rudy1589

• Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »
It seems that the Hantek website has been down. I just got a DSO5102B. Where can I get the latest firmware update?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2193 on: February 01, 2014, 08:01:38 pm »
It seems that the Hantek website has been down. I just got a DSO5102B. Where can I get the latest firmware update?

right, they do have holidays until i think Feb 10th or something, so no IT admin there to reboot IIS  :-BROKE

what version do you have currently installed?

Offline gafbich

• Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:32 pm »
Dear tinhead, could you throw me a NAND dump from DSO5102B. I'll try to pour through the programmer. May start! ARM S3C2416 Processor

Offline rudy1589

• Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: February 01, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
right, they do have holidays until i think Feb 10th or something, so no IT admin there to reboot IIS  :-BROKE

It is 2.06.3  (130329.0)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: February 01, 2014, 11:37:21 pm »

It is 2.06.3  (130329.0)

the latest for DSO5102B with 2.06.3 is here (my patched version)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg294175/#msg294175

Offline rudy1589

• Contributor
« Reply #2197 on: February 01, 2014, 11:59:18 pm »
the latest for DSO5102B with 2.06.3 is here (my patched version)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg294175/#msg294175

When I ran that update I got: Firmware update Failed 0xF7
Illegal update files detected.

Is there a way to correct this easily?   
Thanks for your help!!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2198 on: February 02, 2014, 12:12:41 am »
hard to say, normall it should work. The 0x7F can be due many things. I'm anyway wondering where you got DSO5102B with 2.06.3 fw. This must be hw1007, is it? That will be old stock, so who knows what on the DSO blocking the update.

Are you really sure you have 2.06.3 ?

EDIT: in case oyu really have 2.06.3, here download link. There are two fw version, one from April 2013 and one from September. Try first the one from April, then if this was working the one from September. Both are original files, for DSO5102B, so they must work.

http://www.filedropper.com/hantekfw
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:17:11 am by tinhead »

Offline dlrpgmsvc

« Reply #2199 on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:45 am »
Hi tinhead !

Do you, or someone else in this forum, can dissipate my doubts ? Many thanks !

[1] I will have soon a DSO5102p :-+ , and I will want to enable 450Mhz BW by using the "lst" file method you discovered (I will first enable 200MHz with the hack).
Can I do this via rear or front USB method ? I can see (from the sources of the 200MHz automated hack via (front or rear?) usb port made for Windows) that I can issue the necessary commands to do this job, but I need to know what are the Linux commands necessary to create the "lst" file into the right directory and how to write inside it the necessary data. I don't know Linux  :-\ so, if someone can tell me the exact command sequence, I can modify the 200MHz hack sources in order to have an all-in-one utility program that can push the bw to 200mhz and also set the filter to 450mhz.

[2] The 200MHz hack can be done with the (front or rear?) USB, without the need to open the DSO and connecting to the UART, right ?

[3] I can see that the DSO5102p doesn't need to be hardware modified in the front-end after the 200MHz hack, and only the "B" version need this, right ?  ;)

[4] In your first header post, you say :

For all other following benchtop and handheld models with S/N < 15000
     - Hantek Handheld DSO1062B/BV, DSO1102B/BV, DSO1202B/BV
     - Hantek Handheld DSO1062S, DSO1102S, DSO1152S
     - Tekway MSO MST1062B, MST1102B, MST1202B
     - Hantek MSO MSO5062D, MSO5102D, MSO5202D
     - Voltcraft MSO MSO5062D, MSO5102D, MSO5202D
     - Hantek DSO DSO5062BV/BMV, DSO5102BV/BMV, DSO5202BV/BMV
     - Extech MS6060, MS6100, MS6200
     - Hantek DSO5072P, DSO5102P, DSO5202P

you have to edit a specific execuatable (as the logo is compiled into it), all necessary tools are here:
     https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-     get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg200040/#msg200040

For all other following benchtop and handheld models with S/N > 15000
     - Hantek DSO5072P, DSO5102P, DSO5202P
     - Hantek MSO5074F, MSO5074FG
     - Tekway/Hantek MSO7000B series
     - Tekway/Hantek DSO/Handheld/MSO with S/N > 15000 and hw1.0 or hw1.10 (so all with S3C2416 SoC)

All i can tell for now is that the boot logo seems to be compiled into display driver

So, there is an incongruence... what is the true between the two statements about DSO5102P ? This DSO is listed in both the mutually exclusive groups (along with other models too).

Also, I saw on first header post that for the "p" series, the works are "in progress". So, if you will need something from my model, tell me !  :-BROKE

Many thanks !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:52:31 pm by dlrpgmsvc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf