Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2806227 times)

old-jo, krish2487 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11525 on: September 11, 2022, 12:46:01 am »
It is the  'G' in the code, 3rd letter, that is important.
Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B
3rd letter in the chart I've been using is insert size tolerance.  :-//
Of course that's important for a programmable mill or lathe but for a manual hobbyist lathe ?
http://www.mhuk-carbide.co.uk/technical_information/tec_turning_tools/tec_turning_insert/tec_turning_guide/tec_turning_identification
OTOH G is significant for me as the 4th letter in the code is a principle requirement as it signifies double sided inserts and with T as the first signifying triangular inserts means double sided and 3 corners gives me 6 cutting edges for each insert.  :)
You just don't know how satisfying that is to someone with Scottish heritage !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11526 on: September 11, 2022, 01:51:22 am »
Kaiweets probe leads because the Fluke ones didn't like (I -gt 10A) it seems.

:-\
iratus parum formica

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #11527 on: September 11, 2022, 08:00:20 am »
I've received some days ago this:

Dykem 80300 steel blue

Bought it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134141988967

Clickspring is using it a lot in his videos. Example: https://youtu.be/BIUAdINXZmQ

I've also bought some of those spring loaded magnetic connectors:

The three-in-a-line pins version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324840726377

a round five pins version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234587896516

And, as always: NAWTS.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11528 on: September 11, 2022, 08:08:38 am »

Although during my School times I had 2 calculators (A Graphics that I can only use in Maths and a Scientific for Physics and Chemistry - Casio CFX-9850G "Black Model" and a Casio FX-82MS) I got converted to Texas Instruments when I got the TI-89 Titanium back in 2005.

No solar implementation on this one. For some reason I dislike how solar calculators design is implemented with the rectangle on top for the solar panel. If it was like the Casio "Tough Solar" or Seiko Solar style, were the panels are seamless integrated in the dial without being out of place it would be a different thing. Also chrome buttons... BIG HUGE NO! They are know for with time to break away and create a hazard since depending of the way it breaks out it can be a knife.

Is the current Casio FX-991EX/ES or the Texas Instruments TI-36X PRO a better deal compared with this one? Probably, but I still like this one way more.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:35:08 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11529 on: September 11, 2022, 08:23:55 am »
New autumn project. Uncal error on powerup. Once I get that fixed I will see if I can get the OSHW Option 1950 built to give it AC and current measurement capability.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11530 on: September 11, 2022, 09:33:43 pm »
A 240GB SSD for appx 21€...Unbeliveable...
Laugh of the day:
"Warranty void if seal removed/broken"...... :-DD

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11531 on: September 12, 2022, 10:21:44 am »
void too
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11532 on: September 12, 2022, 01:42:28 pm »
Meh...

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: armandine2

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11533 on: September 12, 2022, 02:00:07 pm »
so I phoned through the order - above not withstanding

and await the TA041 differential probe
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11534 on: September 12, 2022, 04:58:46 pm »
Bought a(nother) load of Joycon analogue joysticks for my sons Nintendo switch controllers because they last as long as a set of Poundshop batteries. Who at Nintendo thought for even a moment, that this was a robust design?  :palm:

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11535 on: September 12, 2022, 05:29:07 pm »
Bought a(nother) load of Joycon analogue joysticks for my sons Nintendo switch controllers because they last as long as a set of Poundshop batteries. Who at Nintendo thought for even a moment, that this was a robust design?  :palm:

McBryce.

That problem was solved 20 years ago by no other than Sega - https://youtu.be/klhFkIsV-lE

I think that the N64 also had the joystick as a Halo effect (don't quote me on that, not 100% sure).

And the new Steam Deck have an OEM replacement available for the same technology (although it comes originally with normal analogue sticks) -  https://youtu.be/Ljg_UOKPeMY
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:42:19 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11536 on: September 12, 2022, 09:36:15 pm »
That problem was solved 20 years ago by no other than Sega - https://youtu.be/klhFkIsV-lE

I think that the N64 also had the joystick as a Halo effect (don't quote me on that, not 100% sure).

And the new Steam Deck have an OEM replacement available for the same technology (although it comes originally with normal analogue sticks) -  https://youtu.be/Ljg_UOKPeMY

Surprised more of the high end controllers wouldn't come with this, you'd think it would be a good selling feature: "guaranteed never to drift".
From what I've seen on repair channels, they all come with the same "cheap" Alps pot units. Which I get on the low end stuff, as the clones are <50c each. No idea what Sony/MS pays for alps though.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #11537 on: September 13, 2022, 12:30:39 am »
Two boat anchors:

- A Goldstar GP-103 bench power supply
- And this thing:

But both were pretty cheap, soo... heh.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11538 on: September 13, 2022, 03:33:19 am »

Surprised more of the high end controllers wouldn't come with this, you'd think it would be a good selling feature: "guaranteed never to drift".
From what I've seen on repair channels, they all come with the same "cheap" Alps pot units. Which I get on the low end stuff, as the clones are <50c each. No idea what Sony/MS pays for alps though.

It would be but we are a minority. Most consumers just throw away the controller and buy a new one, they don't go to source the part and repair it.

And companies know that. Extra profit by buying a new controller over a part that costs cents.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11539 on: September 15, 2022, 02:18:43 am »
Got a very good deal (around 25% of new) on a Mitutoyo Uni Micrometer from the UK. Was calibrated a few years ago and with a quick wipe of the Anvils seems like it still is. No real need for it specifically right now but it was so close to the price of a standard Mitutoyo Micrometer it was easy to convince myself ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11540 on: September 16, 2022, 12:38:25 pm »
One planned purchase: Two Knipex ESD Tweezers (got fed up using cheap tweezers and dentist throw-aways).
One impulse purchase: Component drawers in "Project size" (they are on special offer at LIDL for just €8,99!)

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11541 on: September 17, 2022, 01:52:33 pm »
Being inclined to mess about with old TV's, of the CRT valve powered variety, I'm always surfing ebay for parts, test gear etc, here in the UK.
So, I wanted a particular Philips TV pattern generator and had an auto search set up on ebay. One came up this week, and it was local, like about 5 miles away, that is a VERY rare event for any item on ebay, let alone a niche piece of test gear!
Obviously I bid for it, very strongly, and won it at £25!  Result right there!
Being local I arranged to collect it and when I walked into the guys garage where he's kept it I saw the holy grail! Not the pattern generator, that was good enough, but 6 big plastic storage boxes full to the brim with NOS valves!!  All boxed, unused NOS!! there must be about 750 at least!! Then another box full of vintage NOS pots, presets, components, pickup cartridges, styli, etc, etc. I was literally beside myself with excitement!
We had a chat and it transpires that his mates Dad had been a TV engineer and had unfortunately died, this was all his working stock. There was also another couple of test gear items which I snaffled, and there is apparently tons more stuff!
We did a deal on the valves and I bought it as a job lot, it's going to be a huge task to catalogue them all!
I'm getting first refusal on all the other stuff, can't wait to see whats there!
He's quite pleased because it means he gets to clear a load of stuff to one buyer without having to list it all, pack it, ship it etc.
I cannot believe my luck, it's just a crazy find, and local!  Going back to the Philips pattern gen, that is in fantastic condition, never been damp, no corrosion and cosmetically excellent. Amazing for a 40-50 year old piece of test gear!
Still buzzing, please excuse the excited outburst!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:44:32 pm by unknownparticle »
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Peter_O

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11542 on: September 17, 2022, 04:00:15 pm »
That is a pretty good find! Good luck with your sorting.

I myself can be considered pretty lucky as well (perhaps not as much as you), but I was able to get a huge assortment of vintage IBM peripherals and SW and also a few interesting components - all for free.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11543 on: September 17, 2022, 04:17:22 pm »
Nice one!  I know how that must feel to a computer geek!!  The really good thing is all this stuff gets saved from being dumped or recycled, to be lost forever!

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11544 on: September 17, 2022, 04:42:12 pm »

I myself can be considered pretty lucky as well (perhaps not as much as you), but I was able to get a huge assortment of vintage IBM peripherals and SW and also a few interesting components - all for free.

You didn't got something as a IBM Selectric? That is my grail.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11545 on: September 17, 2022, 06:09:08 pm »
That is something I would like too. Not so long ago they were all over the place for nothing, but now they are hard to find, especially the early types.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11546 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:44 pm »
just downloaded, onto my kindle, David Herres Oscilloscopes: A Manual for Students, Engineers, and Scientists 1st ed. 2020

Haven't got to the pictures yet - it reads ok, so far :palm:

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11547 on: September 17, 2022, 10:13:25 pm »

You didn't got something as a IBM Selectric? That is my grail.
No, I wouldn't be able to hold onto such large item at this moment. Although there are several that pop in the local used websites in different functional conditions.

As a kid I visited my dad's job a few times and marveled at the IBM Selectrics of the time. Quite the machines.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11548 on: September 18, 2022, 12:45:34 pm »
1960ies Siemens Decade Resistor Box. 1R-1,22M from epay. Sadly as it turns out not in decent shape as the seller described it.
Basically all but two decades where completely out of spec. Only the 1000R and the 100000R range were fine, all other resistors had drifted over 10% out of spec. On quite a few resistors the endcaps were loose so the resistance drifted with vibration, too.

A total mess, I paid way too much for it. Have to take that issue up with the seller.

But it looks so nice, I couldn't not spend 30,- EUR in new 1% resistors to make it all work nice again. Mind you original resistors were all 0,5% I'm not that crazy.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11549 on: September 18, 2022, 11:04:34 pm »
Garbage picked a Fluke 189 which "failed" calibration. We'll see. Bought a 440mA fuse on eBay and some 10 turn pots to help with calibration.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf