far too late to change, changing it would make every shield ever made incompatible
far too late to change, changing it would make every shield ever made incompatible
Isn't that the perfect opportunity now?
Upgrade to our new range of Qualcomm-X AI powered shields, compatible with our now AI powered Qual-Uno X board
They are probably selling the board at a loss. Someone should make a BOM analysis.
Which is not great news. Typically you could buy the Arduino boards always because they were sold at 500-1000% markup, it was good for the hardware selling business.
Quad core 2GHz cpu, 16GB storage, wow, as you say this is just a SBC with no ethernet or HDMI port.They are probably selling the board at a loss. Someone should make a BOM analysis.
Frankly the STM32U585 would have been a fun chip to put on a maker board. Especially if they can design it into a form factor/schematic that utilizes its low power features.
Looking at other announced Qualcomm SBC boards, they all look like advertisements for Qualcomm instead. Shoving SBC onto the Uno form factor without any I/O and hiding a STM32 on the back side is the stupidest idea I ever saw in the maker space, and I think that triumphs a lot of stupid ideas [/cynicism level lowered]
I wonder how quickly somebody makes a "qMINUSduino" with only the STM32U585 along it's peripherals and all the QRB2210 stuff stripped.
I wonder how quickly somebody makes a "qMINUSduino" with only the STM32U585 along it's peripherals and all the QRB2210 stuff stripped.
Would something like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007917258654.html
and a simple adapter PCB for the weird Arduino Uno form factor be enough for this purpose?
So Qualcomm now owns the name Arduino, the IDE, The official board designs and the company offices/employees/assets.
I really don't see how that will affect anyone using Arduino.
The IDE is perhaps the only thing, but lets be real, the arduino IDE is nothing special and there's other free options that are better.
It wouldn't that hard to duplicate all the Arduino IDE functionality as an open source project, or inside an existing IDE like vscode which i'm guessing has already been done.
Qualcom Arduino Q: similar to rpi3 but with a MPU on the same board.
So it's similar to Yun and Dragino2, but with a new purpose: Python AI on GNU/Linux?
Every time you install/update a library, it will turn to their servers to download the libraries.
And I think the IDE 2.x is always online. IDK, I didn't update.
Every time you install/update a library, it will turn to their servers to download the libraries.
And I think the IDE 2.x is always online. IDK, I didn't update.
As I understand it, all the library files are open source.
So anyone could move the files to github or something and then have a new open source IDEs grab then from there cutting Arduino the company and all their servers out entirely
Surely you could tweak something like platformio in vscode to bypass the arduino servers and have a fully arduino compatible system running without arduino servers.
Not saying it wouldn't require a little work, but seems totally doable with nothing Qualcomm could do to stop anyone.
So anyone could move the files to github or something and then have a new open source IDEs grab then from there cutting Arduino the company and all their servers out entirely
The IDE is perhaps the only thing, but lets be real, the arduino IDE is nothing special and there's other free options that are better.
It wouldn't that hard to duplicate all the Arduino IDE functionality as an open source project
They are probably selling the board at a loss. Someone should make a BOM analysis.
Which is not great news. Typically you could buy the Arduino boards always because they were sold at 500-1000% markup, it was good for the hardware selling business.
Schematic: https://docs.arduino.cc/resources/schematics/ABX00162-schematics.pdf
MCU STM32U585AII6TR - $4.70
CPU QRB2210 - $3-5?
16GB eMMC EMMC16G-MW28-GA01 - $9
2GB LPDDR4 MT53E512M32D1ZW-046 - $9
Wifi 5 BT 5.1 module WCBN3536A - $3?
HS connectors - $2-4?
PMIC/audio PM-4125-3-NSP194-TR-01-0 - $2?
MIPI to USBC bridge ANX7625BN - $0.70
Synchronous buck LMR51440SDRRR - $0.70
So maybe sold slightly below cost. Definitely not enough to make a useful profit after R&D expenses, support, etc.
ALL are comparable in Linux performance to the Uno Q, have many more computer interface and storage options.
Every time you install/update a library, it will turn to their servers to download the libraries.
And I think the IDE 2.x is always online. IDK, I didn't update.
As I understand it, all the library files are open source.
So anyone could move the files to github or something and then have a new open source IDEs grab then from there cutting Arduino the company and all their servers out entirely
Surely you could tweak something like platformio in vscode to bypass the arduino servers and have a fully arduino compatible system running without arduino servers.
Not saying it wouldn't require a little work, but seems totally doable with nothing Qualcomm could do to stop anyone.
Actually, the SoC is listed at Arrow for 13 USD. Adding all these together it's 45 USD, so it's either sold at the same profit as the SoC, or it's sold at cost. There are other stuff on the board, lot of small things add up.
Actually, the SoC is listed at Arrow for 13 USD. Adding all these together it's 45 USD, so it's either sold at the same profit as the SoC, or it's sold at cost. There are other stuff on the board, lot of small things add up.
Since they manufacture the SoC I assume their cost is a lot lower than Arrows 1-off pricing.
So Qualcomm now owns the name Arduino, the IDE, The official board designs and the company offices/employees/assets.
I really don't see how that will affect anyone using Arduino.
The IDE is perhaps the only thing, but lets be real, the arduino IDE is nothing special and there's other free options that are better.
It wouldn't that hard to duplicate all the Arduino IDE functionality as an open source project, or inside an existing IDE like vscode which i'm guessing has already been done.