Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15711687 times)

Vince and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31375 on: May 15, 2019, 03:15:07 am »
By the way,  I think I'll go nuts trying to find where to register my scope on the Keysight website.  I must be blind or sometin'.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31376 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:12 am »
My TEA confession for the day...

I am feeling guilty because I sold one of the nonworking Tek lab bench supplies for twice what I paid for it. A local responded to my CL ad (the one that says I want to *buy* test gear) and asked if I had a bench supply I'd sell. I told him I only had non-working gear. Long story short, I disclosed the probable problems on a CPS250 I had in the queue and priced it where I figured it wouldn't sell because I didn't really want to let it go. He bought it anyway.

To make up for it, I bought an HP54501A from the local university surplus department and paid twenty bucks too much for it. After I replace the NVRAM, the AC filter, and a couple of caps I will be lucky if I break even selling it.    :-DD

"When Ifni smiles upon you, don't frown back." ~ Old spacer's proverb

mnem
Next time, say 'Thank you' and smile instead.  ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31377 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:53 am »
Yes, that's me on the top 20m 6ele Telrex, had to climb out to the driven ele and replace a burnt N due to lightning;
FYI FmyI what's the optimum distance between climbing spikes ?
Found it !
Was using the wrong search words .........pole steps.

12-18 inches so my idea of 16"/400mm was near enough to midrange.  :)

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.24
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31378 on: May 15, 2019, 04:07:40 am »
I think I will just stick to Bands where the Antennas won't overhang the 50' wide block of dirt my Shack sits on  ;)

Todays TEA arrival came with added mineral oil splooge dribbling from it's wells. Also a smashed Fuse holder and it may or may not work as per the listing and it is also a 110V device so not a lot going for it so far at least.

Edit: And two missing feet lucky I know a guy.

Ditto. Duck that noise; I just took a tumble in the garage yesterday and smashed the everlivin' HELL outta my knee and wrenched my back. Took a pain pill cocktail and slept 14 hours straight.  :o

I'm still not tired, and my back is just a constant 30dB ~ 20hz dull ache. No way in hell I'm ever getting any higher than the lights in the ceiling fan before I lose some appreciable weight.

mnem
effing ow.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31379 on: May 15, 2019, 04:51:53 am »

I am feeling guilty because I sold one of the nonworking Tek lab bench supplies for twice what I paid for it. A local responded to my CL ad (the one that says I want to *buy* test gear) and asked if I had a bench supply I'd sell. I told him I only had non-working gear. Long story short, I disclosed the probable problems on a CPS250 I had in the queue and priced it where I figured it wouldn't sell because I didn't really want to let it go. He bought it anyway.

Tek and HP stuff tend to fetch a premium on eBay, too. Maybe that was his cost basis.

To make up for it, I bought an HP54501A from the local university surplus department and paid twenty bucks too much for it. After I replace the NVRAM, the AC filter, and a couple of caps I will be lucky if I break even selling it.    :-DD

Sell it to the guy who bought the CPS250. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31380 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:34 am »
Got a Tek CDC250 175 MHz freq. counter coming out of the stack shown. Nothing really special about it, but I have a small collection of the units that Tek made using the same case style such as the DMM, Function Gen., and 1.3 GHz freq. counter. For $55 might as well add this one to the family. Only missing the fuse and power cord says the seller.

CDC250

Cool. Always nice to have a full set of matching gear. It's TEA. You have to (see EMI).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31381 on: May 15, 2019, 04:57:04 am »
The HP 427A I picked up needs a bit of TLC, overall its in good condition, but I found one shorted AE cap, so going to replace them all, only 8 caps total.  Someone built a replica AC power supply for it that matches the option 01 schematic, but the secondary of the transformer they used is a bit on the low side.  I'm going to build a small regulated 20v linear internal supply.  Sorry I don't have photos right now, Ill post some of it all torn apart later.

Been waiting for a good HP 4329a high resistance meter to show up.  Found one today and snatched it.  This is a cool piece of kit, becuse you never know when you need to measure up to 20 Peta Ohms  ;D

Woah! 20 PΩ :o So much cool gear, so little {time|space|money|attention span}. Looking forward to the teardown.

(No feet!!!)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31382 on: May 15, 2019, 04:58:51 am »
This is a cool piece of kit, becuse you never know when you need to measure up to 20 Peta Ohms  ;D

Yes very cool. Reminds of the old joke -

That needs an upgrade...to 20PΩ!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31383 on: May 15, 2019, 05:00:20 am »
Yes, that's me on the top 20m 6ele Telrex, had to climb out to the driven ele and replace a burnt N due to lightning;

*faint*

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31384 on: May 15, 2019, 05:03:02 am »
The DSOX1204G scope from Keysight arrived today.  I've been glued to it every extra minute I could get. 

I've been doing a side by side of the DSOX1204G with my DS1054z.   Yep, the Keysight is faster on almost everything except boot up.  The Rigol is about 4 seconds faster.  I know these are not in the same league with each other, but this is letting me see the differences. 

I do seem to like the UI on the Keysight a lot more.

Well, Back to playing.

Awesome! Congrats again, Housedad. Yeah, no point comparing response speed of the UI. Quite a difference under the hood. Be sure to enjoy it for a good long time or I'll come over there and take it away. ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31385 on: May 15, 2019, 05:53:56 am »

*faint*

Agree. Nope. Nope. NOPE.  :scared: :scared: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31386 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:56 am »
I’d rather go up a tower than get on a bicycle in London again. Much safer!

I will note that the average person I meet at a handset should not be trusted to put a long wire up in a tree let alone a tower. You have to know your shit.  I see too many pictures going past of idiots on their roof on top of a step ladder.

Going to get a small tower when I move. It’s going to be trailer mounted though and fold down therefore avoiding planning permission headaches.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:43:31 am by bd139 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31387 on: May 15, 2019, 06:58:59 am »
The next few days will see me up a ladder slipping the entire shack roof adding some weather seals to the corrugated bits and replacing the nails with screws. If I am not heard from by say Sunday assume the worst that I have fallen off the 8-9' roof. This will be my first post 50 major Ladder exercise  :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #31388 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:04 am »
Got a Tek CDC250 175 MHz freq. counter coming out of the stack shown. Nothing really special about it, but I have a small collection of the units that Tek made using the same case style such as the DMM, Function Gen., and 1.3 GHz freq. counter. For $55 might as well add this one to the family. Only missing the fuse and power cord says the seller.

CDC250

Cool. Always nice to have a full set of matching gear. It's TEA. You have to (see EMI).

The CDC250 has a TCXO (at least mine does) and switchable external reference, making it two steps up from your basic non-reciprocal universal counter.  I also got the matching CFG280 and later the CDM250.  The CDC250 was my first counter, and it was able to count 212MHz at 0dBm, 213MHz at 3dBm.

I paid well over twice what that ebay listing had them at, five years ago.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31389 on: May 15, 2019, 07:12:03 am »

Don't feel guity about that. I once sold an accessory for 50* what I paid for it, even though I explicitly stated I had no idea whether it worked.

As for the other example, been there done that (and doing it again!).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31390 on: May 15, 2019, 07:21:04 am »
I’d rather go up a tower than get on a bicycle in London again. Much safer!

I enjoy cycling in central London: there are plenty of bus lane and back streets where traffic moves slowly. Even Hyde Park Corner doesn't worry me. Of course if you cycle on arterial roads then you need a little more luck.

To put London in perspective, try a country A road, or a city like Bristol. The latter has faster moving cars that are pushy because of the congestion, and contours dissuade you from using backstreets.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31391 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:52 am »
I think I spent more time in the Barts minor injuries when I was cycling around the city  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31392 on: May 15, 2019, 08:50:47 am »
Those cyclists....yea....you know the ones. The ones in the full spandex outfits with their $1K rigs. Arrogant pricks. In groups they refuse to go in single file on secondary roads (like mine) which have no shoulder and many blind curves. Can't safely get around them. And if you honk at them they get all indignant and pissy. Sorry, but I don't feel like cruising at 15 MPH. One of these days I just might road rage and put a fender up their arse.  :rant:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31393 on: May 15, 2019, 08:58:10 am »
Those cyclists....yea....you know the ones. The ones in the full spandex outfits with their $1K rigs. Arrogant pricks. In groups they refuse to go in single file on secondary roads (like mine) which have no shoulder and many blind curves. Can't safely get around them. And if you honk at them they get all indignant and pissy. Sorry, but I don't feel like cruising at 15 MPH. One of these days I just might road rage and put a fender up their arse.  :rant:
We have the same idjits here.
Every other road user needs license plates and a rear vision mirror so why are they exempt ?  :rant:

Ha, but they all pull into line for a big rig !
Ya need some wopping big bull bars Med.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31394 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:38 am »
Depending on your local road rules Bike riders have road rules like any other user. In my State it is Legal to ride two abreast but out of courtesy if we hear another vehicle coming up from behind will drop back to single file and certainly do when a vehicle is being slowed by us. What we WONT DO is get off the pavement with our road bikes as slicks on gravel and dirt are a recipe for being thrown under that vehicle or into the scrub.

Maybe not in your case depending on your rules but motorists are unaware of rules for bikes and assume they are in charge in their metal cans. The same lack of knowledge is partly why Motorbike riders along with Bikes are at increased risk.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31395 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:34 am »
New York State

Q. May bicyclists ride side-by-side on the roadway?

A.Yes.  They may ride two abreast on roadways, but they must ride single file when being overtaken by other vehicles.   Bicyclists may not travel more than two abreast on a shoulder, bicycle lane or shared-use pathway intended for bicycle use even if there is sufficient space.  However, they must be in single files when passing vehicles, pedestrians or other bicyclists (Sec 1234(b)).

New Zealand

Two cyclists can ride next to each other but should take into account the keep left rule and not hold back traffic. Three or more people cycling next to each other is illegal, except in the case of a road race that has been given traffic management approval from a road controlling authority.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31396 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:38 am »
Depending on your local road rules Bike riders have road rules like any other user. In my State it is Legal to ride two abreast but out of courtesy if we hear another vehicle coming up from behind will drop back to single file and certainly do when a vehicle is being slowed by us. What we WONT DO is get off the pavement with our road bikes as slicks on gravel and dirt are a recipe for being thrown under that vehicle or into the scrub.

Maybe not in your case depending on your rules but motorists are unaware of rules for bikes and assume they are in charge in their metal cans. The same lack of knowledge is partly why Motorbike riders along with Bikes are at increased risk.
Bean in Lycra  :o
Where's that puke emoji ? ..................  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31397 on: May 15, 2019, 09:11:27 am »
The mantra here is "Share the road". I have no problem with that. And I don't expect them to go off pavement so I can safely get around them. There's plenty of room to do so if they go in SINGLE FILE. For some reason that concept eludes them so you either honk...which pisses them off....or you take a chance and nail the gas to get around them as quick as possible and hope there's not a vehicle coming in the other direction. And the sound of a vehicle going full throttle also pisses them off because they think you are gonna ram them (tempting!  :-DD)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31398 on: May 15, 2019, 09:12:21 am »
A large part of the problem seems to be that some in both groups seem to see the other group as the enemy. People forget that traffic isn't about ego, winning or claiming your perceived rights.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31399 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:26 am »
A large part of the problem seems to be that some in both groups seem to see the other group as the enemy. People forget that traffic isn't about ego, winning or claiming your perceived rights.
Might is right !

Get outta my way I's a coming through.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf