Rigol could do it: a square x/y plot, but different pixel sizes in x,y direction.
But then again I asked for a reference not an example.
Create Lissajous plot with uneven axis.
Let me know how circle looks if aspect ratio is not 1:1.
Aha you want to argue semantics... No I don't have an encyclopedia quote that claims that.
But you misunderstood.
This is one of those things that look obvious to me.
I didn't say "Defintion of X-Y mode is such....."
I used idiom "by definition" which has a meaning "because of the nature of someone or something"..
English.... I know...
As for Rigol and their new scopes...
I see all the time companies in consumer space trying to do new things all the time to attract attention to how they "innovate"..
Sometimes they replace "old" with "new" at the detriment of function and quality.. Just to show how they are making things that are modern and new.
Unfortunately, Rigol is making many decisions lately that I would classify as such type of behaviour.
I would not consider them as an reference example...