Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 1221660 times)

bateau020 and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin72

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8897
  • Country: de
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1950 on: January 26, 2025, 10:10:02 pm »
There are deeper and longer-standing reasons for this.

Offline black6host

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 36
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1951 on: January 26, 2025, 10:20:39 pm »
I know, I've been here for awhile.  But, I'm not here for that, I want to talk about, in this thread, the SDS800X HD series scopes.  I just wish it would stop.  And that's the last I'll say on this.
 
The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72, Furna

Online 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8752
  • Country: hr
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1952 on: January 26, 2025, 10:43:43 pm »
I know, I've been here for awhile.  But, I'm not here for that, I want to talk about, in this thread, the SDS800X HD series scopes.  I just wish it would stop.  And that's the last I'll say on this.
Thank you for your comment. We would all wish for it to stop.
If you have some question please ask away..
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, newbrain, KungFuJosh, Martin72, Wrenches of Death, Furna

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1953 on: January 28, 2025, 02:45:28 pm »
:palm:
That's what this forum is for; sharing knowledge.....

If you're to be playing with XY mode, this thread may be of interest and particularly the settings used to get such good XY results from a DSO:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-music-on-dsos-post-your-results/

I figured out what I want it seems Siglent is 1/2 way there.

While the server is good, would be nice if you could get full screen.  Turns out Siglent Scope Lab does this, but it cannot handle x-y mode.

Can you put in a user request?  This would seem pretty useful given the size of the scope screen.

THANKS!

BTW, I did look in the FM to see if the webserver could be configured.  No joy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2025, 03:02:28 pm by watchmaker »
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8293
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1954 on: January 28, 2025, 04:11:57 pm »
While the server is good, would be nice if you could get full screen.  Turns out Siglent Scope Lab does this, but it cannot handle x-y mode.

The webserver can go full screen. There's an expansion arrow to click.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 

Offline mikes

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 188
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1955 on: January 28, 2025, 05:40:31 pm »
You can also connect with a VNC client, most (all?) allow you to scale to the size you want.
 

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1956 on: January 28, 2025, 06:30:43 pm »
I tried that.  No joy.  Tried again just now.  It asks me about screen shots.

Thanks.
 

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1957 on: January 28, 2025, 06:47:05 pm »
You can also connect with a VNC client, most (all?) allow you to scale to the size you want.

Ok.  This appears browser dependent.  Better on Chrome than edge.  But, I have to zoom to 90% and then go browser full screen and then Siglent Full Screen.  Even then I have screen margins on the right and bottom.
 

Offline mikes

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 188
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1958 on: January 28, 2025, 07:57:58 pm »
You can also connect with a VNC client, most (all?) allow you to scale to the size you want.

Ok.  This appears browser dependent.  Better on Chrome than edge.  But, I have to zoom to 90% and then go browser full screen and then Siglent Full Screen.  Even then I have screen margins on the right and bottom.
Huh? There's no web browser involved, at all. Just a VNC client. I use TightVNC. Option set for Scale by: auto. <scopeIP>:5900 The display resizes with the window. Fonts can look ugly, but that's the nature of the beast.
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8293
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1959 on: January 28, 2025, 08:36:50 pm »
Huh? There's no web browser involved, at all. Just a VNC client. I use TightVNC. Option set for Scale by: auto. <scopeIP>:5900 The display resizes with the window. Fonts can look ugly, but that's the nature of the beast.

The scope has a built-in webserver that doesn't require any zooming in and out to go full screen; just press the full screen button and it should work. Crappy browsers like Edge might be an issue. 🤷
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 

Offline mikes

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 188
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1960 on: January 28, 2025, 08:47:49 pm »
Huh? There's no web browser involved, at all. Just a VNC client. I use TightVNC. Option set for Scale by: auto. <scopeIP>:5900 The display resizes with the window. Fonts can look ugly, but that's the nature of the beast.

The scope has a built-in webserver that doesn't require any zooming in and out to go full screen; just press the full screen button and it should work. Crappy browsers like Edge might be an issue. 🤷
I'm well aware of that. VNC is another option which I presented to the GP. It provides more flexibility than the web's all-or-nothing sizing.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1961 on: January 28, 2025, 08:53:18 pm »
Deciphering what member watchmaker was after was full screen XY  :-//

Should be able to do that with webserver full screen mode plus some additional browser scaling using Ctrl +/- (scrollwheel) and position adjustments.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline eTobey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1577
  • Country: de
  • Virtual Features for the SDS800XHD -> My website
    • Virtual feature script
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1962 on: January 28, 2025, 09:00:02 pm »
:palm:
That's what this forum is for; sharing knowledge.....

If you're to be playing with XY mode, this thread may be of interest and particularly the settings used to get such good XY results from a DSO:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-music-on-dsos-post-your-results/

I figured out what I want it seems Siglent is 1/2 way there.

While the server is good, would be nice if you could get full screen.  Turns out Siglent Scope Lab does this, but it cannot handle x-y mode.

Can you put in a user request?  This would seem pretty useful given the size of the scope screen.

THANKS!

BTW, I did look in the FM to see if the webserver could be configured.  No joy.

Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant."(Maxim Gorki)

Siglent SDS800X HD bugs/issues/workarounds (Partially updated 3. Mar 2026)
 

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1963 on: January 28, 2025, 10:21:33 pm »
Deciphering what member watchmaker was after was full screen XY  :-//

Should be able to do that with webserver full screen mode plus some additional browser scaling using Ctrl +/- (scrollwheel) and position adjustments.

Yes,  This is what I desired to do.  Tautech, this is pretty much what I wound up doing.  Starts getting complicated with two mice and then wanting to do a screen capture.

What is VNC and where do I learn how to use it?

As it is, the closest I can get is a Webserver window that is full screen except for about 10% on the bottom and right.

But i will say, this makes seeing a lot better.

THANK YOU ALL for helping me.  I just gotta see what VNC does.  Downloaded a couple things but I could not figure out how to use it.

All this was in the middle of me troubleshooting a step generator.  Got it sorted but I will post a question elsewhere (tonite/tomorrow) about how to improve the shape of the steps.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1964 on: January 28, 2025, 10:22:32 pm »
Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
:wtf:  :scared:
Why would anyone in their right mind wanna go backwards to solve a problem when all they need to do is learn how to use their scope and its attributes.

Remind you of anyone ?  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: watchmaker

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1965 on: January 28, 2025, 10:26:10 pm »
Deciphering what member watchmaker was after was full screen XY  :-//

Should be able to do that with webserver full screen mode plus some additional browser scaling using Ctrl +/- (scrollwheel) and position adjustments.

Yes,  This is what I desired to do.  Tautech, this is pretty much what I wound up doing.  Starts getting complicated with two mice and then wanting to do a screen capture.

With webserver use the PC mouse can control the scope....if the menus are visible.

What OS are you using ?
W10 = Windows,Shift and S keys can do a screen capture but you have to define the boundaries of it.
Then you Paste it into your image viewer, name and save it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2025, 10:28:05 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Online ebastler

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7766
  • Country: de
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1966 on: January 28, 2025, 10:43:06 pm »
Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
:wtf:  :scared:
Why would anyone in their right mind wanna go backwards to solve a problem when all they need to do is learn how to use their scope and its attributes.

Let's be honest: For XY mode, analog scopes still rule. Look at the crisp and fast XY displays of rotating Lissajous figures, vector arcade games or audio scope art on even the most modest analog scope -- and compare that to the pixelated, jerky rendering on any affordable digital scope.

I'll change my mind when you show me how to play Asteroids on a digital scope. Until that time, not need to "wtf" anyone about this.
 

Offline Martin72

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8897
  • Country: de
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1967 on: January 28, 2025, 10:58:33 pm »
I use my PC for playing, the scope is more for measuring.
 
The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online ebastler

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7766
  • Country: de
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1968 on: January 28, 2025, 11:15:04 pm »
I use my PC for playing, the scope is more for measuring.

What do you measure in XY mode? I have in fact used an analog scope in XY mode to troubleshoot and repair vintage vector games, and to establish the required bandwidth for a rebuilt larger vector display. I prefer the larger display for actually playing the games.

There's no doubt that vector mode is a niche application in a scope. But there's also no doubt in my mind that analog scopes fill that niche (and probably that single niche only) better than digital scopes do.
 

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1969 on: January 28, 2025, 11:32:36 pm »
Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
:wtf:  :scared:
Why would anyone in their right mind wanna go backwards to solve a problem when all they need to do is learn how to use their scope and its attributes.

Remind you of anyone ?  :-DD

Tautech,  As you likely understand, this is not just about x-y.  A larger screen makes everything easier.  This is why many engineers use 24 inch monitors.  I know a EE who uses it to review schematics, and a structural engineer (my daughter) to review plans.

Using the computer screen makes it musch easier to see the trace, and makes cursor placement easier as well.

And an analog scope precludes this option.  You are right, I ain't going back and I will spend the time I need to learn. :box:
 
The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1970 on: January 29, 2025, 07:53:08 am »
Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
:wtf:  :scared:
Why would anyone in their right mind wanna go backwards to solve a problem when all they need to do is learn how to use their scope and its attributes.

Remind you of anyone ?  :-DD

Tautech,  As you likely understand, this is not just about x-y.  A larger screen makes everything easier.  This is why many engineers use 24 inch monitors.  I know a EE who uses it to review schematics, and a structural engineer (my daughter) to review plans.

Using the computer screen makes it much easier to see the trace, and makes cursor placement easier as well.
Have you tried changing Display settings for better visibility ?

Sure get your comment about 24" monitors, have run dual displays for many years and found them very valuable when doing PCB layout work.
Schematic and PCB layout on each monitor and sufficient room for component datasheets also when needing to get pinouts correct or selecting the correct package footprint.
Fun days......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline watchmaker

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1134
  • Country: us
  • Self Study in EE
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1971 on: January 29, 2025, 11:47:49 am »
Tautech,

Yeah, I used two screens for years as well.  Now I use a USB second screen at the bench.  Tried different display settings but no joy (Win 11 Pro).  I REALLY would like SSL to work completely.  It is true full screen.

OK.  Now, why x-y.  And this is unapologetic.

Learning about transistors.  Can measure everything and SEE what is happening.
Measuring diode characteristics:  FW, reverse, zener, ge/si, schottkey
Sorting thyristors

We are all in a different place in our level of learning.  And we all have a different focus.  It is pointless to criticize others for not doing things the way that one does the job.  (Within the limits of safety and achieving the goal of course.  that is teaching)

However, it IS interesting and useful to see how others do it.  Like a slave factory survivor told me when I was kid "Watch carefully and you might survive".

In Switz the saying was "As long as the fit and finish are correct, it doesn't matter if it was done with bastard mill file."  (just means using the bastard mill file takes a LOT of hand skill)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2025, 11:49:34 am by watchmaker »
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1972 on: January 29, 2025, 11:58:40 am »
No need to apologise for doing curve tracer work.  :-+
Are you following what Mike has done ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/dso-awg-based-curve-tracer/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline mikes

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 188
  • Country: us
Soft carry case
« Reply #1973 on: January 29, 2025, 07:59:23 pm »
For anyone who might want a soft carry or storage case for your SDS800X, Amazon US has one which fits perfectly. Nicely padded all around. It has a large front pouch which holds probes well, and side pouches for whatever. Less than USD$25. Looks pretty much the same as the one Siglent sells for $65.

(Bonus - it's made of "velvet crypto cotton" and it's "not muggy"!)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2025, 12:11:17 am by mikes »
 
The following users thanked this post: MF-jockey, 2N3055, dEdt, Wrenches of Death, EvgenyG

Offline eTobey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1577
  • Country: de
  • Virtual Features for the SDS800XHD -> My website
    • Virtual feature script
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1974 on: January 29, 2025, 08:42:40 pm »
Full screen XY? Get an old scope from the last millennium. Those can do this.  :-DD
Why would anyone in their right mind wanna go backwards to solve a problem when all they need to do is learn how to use their scope and its attributes.

I am happy to learn how i can get a fullscreen XY on that scope... but i guess there is nothing to learn, because there is nothing behind your statement.

The information about the XY function in the manual is also virtually nothing...  :-DD
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant."(Maxim Gorki)

Siglent SDS800X HD bugs/issues/workarounds (Partially updated 3. Mar 2026)
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->