Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 176978 times)

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
Re: Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2021, 07:12:03 am »
Solatron 7061 doesn't support IDN commands, refer to manual page 5.4.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2021, 07:34:30 am »
I spent HOURS trying to get the Agilent USB-GPIB interface up and running, I have no idea what I did but it eventually started working, and once the GPIB showed up properly in the keysight IO software, I was then able to get it to see instruments (none of the unit I have tried so far have been auto identified though, and *IDN? or ID? doesn't seem to work, at least in my case).

The Keysight libraries can play games like that, my configuration has changed randomly a couple times over the years. It's especially a pain if the DUT is not a native Keysight supported unit.

Every manufacturer uses their own unique set of GPIB commands and the likes of IDN is an example. Part of that reason is because GPIB is pretty old despite it being supported to this day on modern gear. It's why I created the NOTEPAD scratchpad so users can document their own sets of fav commands etc.

Welcome to GPIB!

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2021, 09:00:53 am »
I had it working with my 3457A as well, but it kept getting errors popping up, and then it stopped working and I couldn’t get it back again, it didn’t connect to it anymore.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2021, 04:46:48 pm »
I had it working with my 3457A as well, but it kept getting errors popping up, and then it stopped working and I couldn’t get it back again, it didn’t connect to it anymore.

3457A should be reliable.....here's my settings for mine below (your address etc may vary).

Very important is END ALWAYS......this has the habit of fixing a lot of GPIB issues on some HP gear.
The 3457 & 3458 needs an END ALWAYS and it must be the first command sent to set EOI or else you'd get read timeouts.

If you are not using the timer (RUN) and are sending single commands then use the SEND ASYNC for commands that don't require a responce and use QUERY ASYNC for commands that do.
I.E. END ALWAYS, NDIG 6, NPLC5 send using SEND ASYNC.
Also, watch you don't set your NPLC so high that you can't query as often as you thought you might.
There's a lot of pitfalls with GPIB....!

If you have done that then I can only presume the issue is on the Keysight side........Therefore, if my app doesn't seem to work try sending commands via the Keysight connection expert, Interactive IO facility.

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2021, 02:37:46 am »
It seems the HP3457A is just going to be very flaky for me, if I unplugged EVERYTHING from the GPIB bus apart from the 3457A then i could communicate with it, for a while, later on even this failed and although I could get a response from sending ID? to it from both your app and the Keysight IO app, it stopped returning values... makes me wonder if that units GPIB board is dodgy.

The Solartron 1061 is behaving pretty well, and I also got it working now on my Datron 1062 (well, kind of).

I have an app request.. on the Datron it doubles up its sign in the data, so a "-" is "--" and a + is a "++", so I have to tick the box to ignore the 1st 2 digits, which then also loses the sign. can this be changed to allow for a selectable number of digits to ignore ? I think this is to do with the AC vs DC function, as in AC it shows "+~" instead.

I also noticed that the check boxes are not remembered correctly / at all by the Save Profiles button, for instance the "Enable polling" is always on, even if i turned it off and then save it, when I open it up again it is selected again.

My current settings for the Datron are shown in the attached screen shot (I will attach it later).

But here is the GPIB command list that I have been able to figure out:
Code: [Select]
1061/1062 ONLY
A0 Volts
A1 dB
A2 6.5 Digit Mode for V and Resistance (even without filter !)

1071 ONLY
A0 Averaging OFF
A1 Averaging ON
A2 high Resolution rolling average ON
A3 Block averaging mode ON

B0
B1

C0 Filter OFF
C1 Filter ON

E0 Spec readout OFF
E1 Measurement uncertainty

F0 ??
F1 Resistance
F2 AC Volts
F3 DC Volts
F4 ??
F5 ??
F6 AC & DC Volts
F7 ??

I0 Front input
I1 Rear input

K Enable keyboard

L0 Deselects Limits and resets Min/Max stores
L1 Store location 1
L2 Store location 2
L3 Store location 3
L4 Store location 4

M0 Maths OFF
M1 Offset
M2 Divided by
M3 Both

N0 Min/Max OFF
N1 Max
N2 Min
N3 Min/Max Difference

O0
O1
O2 4 byte output
O3 4 byte output

P0 Ratio OFF
P1 Single trigger reads both inputs
P2 Requires two triggers.

Q0 SRQ OFF
Q1 SRQ ON - at completion of reading
Q2 SRQ ON - at completion of reading when out of limits
Q3 SRQ ON - at completion of reading - single SRQ ONLY
Q4 SRQ ON - at completion of reading when out of limits - single SRQ ONLY

R0 Autorange
R1 10 Ohm / .1 in volts function
R2 .1
R3 1
R4 10
R5 100
R6 1000
R7 10M / 1000 in volts function

S0 Superfast mode OFF
S1 Superfast mode ON 100 r/s - 4.5 digit
S2 Superfast mode ON 200 r/s - 4.5 digit

T0 Hold OFF
T1 Hold ON

V5 1071 ONLY - Recal block size (used in conjuction with A3 first - A3V5)

Y Self test (might need to be sent multiple times until process is finished, then send T0 to remove the HOLD)

Z input Zero
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:14:11 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2021, 04:54:11 am »
Its possible it is your 82357B that is the issue. Its a while since I used mine. Perhaps the knock off versions have an issue albeit I hadn't heard of any till possibly now.

The check boxes not being saved i know about, I just never got around to it as I'll need to add a reset to defaults also as it could get folks in a right mess by getting too far away from known standard settings.

The Datron sign issue I'll take a look at, albeit i can't test here as I don't have one.
The issue also may be that the number/string that remains needs to be able to be seen as a number, not sure if a single + is, otherwise you wouldn't be able to chart/graph it. Perhaps a single - and remove the ++ completely is the answer.

Ian.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #356 on: April 26, 2021, 06:13:50 am »
Here are the settings I am using for the Datron and Solartron to get it to behave, note that the Solartron crashes and reboots if trying to use the filter with 7.5 digits for some reason, I think it is some kind of timeout.

Although for some reason now the Datron WILL work without the "Remove 1st two letters" selected, (in that case it just adds +0 to the display of this screen shot)

Ah ha.... I think I just figured it out, it is the SEND BLOCKING, when I turn that on the extra -/+ prefixed disappears and it displays and is handled OK now...

So to put this into a textual description:
Datron 1062 (and similar)
STB Mask 16
Enable Polling UNCHECKED
Remove 1st two letters UNCHECKED
Abort errors CHECKED
Terminator UNCHECKED
Send Blocking CHECKED

Example Pre Run
C1R0F3
T0R0A2

Example at run
T0R0A2

Solartron 7061
STB Mask 16
Enable Polling UNCHECKED
Remove 1st two letters UNCHECKED
Abort errors CHECKED
Terminator UNCHECKED
Send Blocking UNCHECKED

Example Pre Run
BEEp
MODE VDC
RANge AUTO
DIGits 7
FIlter OFf

Example at run
TRIgger

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:32:56 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2021, 06:55:14 am »
Another suggestion for the app... can the chart page show the number of samples collected/time spent collecting samples as shown on the chart, or maybe even label the X axis accordingly.

You know what would be really good, a 3rd device.. right now I am tracking 2 multimeters which are showing a small amount of settling drift, if there were a 3rd device that could be used as a validation of which is closer...
Cheers Scott

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #358 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:03 am »
So with SEND BLOCKING checked then your commands are immediately executed and will wait for a response, but also that the queue/bus is not blocked.......IIRC.
Without delving, looks like the +/- issue is/was an artefact of some sort due to the comms issue....!
I haven't come across an instrument I haven't been able to see working properly yet.......a few have tasked the brain a bit.....but fingers crossed.

The CHART page was only ever meant as a rough guide as to how GPIB data was progressing. You do have the number of samples displayed on the main DEVICE tab.
I'll see what I can add at the next update though.

A 3rd device won't be added by me LOL!......it's a fair bit of work. There is one guy (forget his name) that took the source code (freely available) and extended it to 10 devices or something like that, but that was ages ago on a much earlier version.
Saying that, there may be a workaround albeit I haven't tried it......you can start up another copy of the app and run a different GPIB session I guess. Albeit, I think you'd have problems if you were logging to the same CSV!....worth a shot though as the file is opened/closed at each update.

Ian.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:02:46 am by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2021, 09:11:03 am »
Looking at your screenshot on the DEVICE tab, interesting to see the device response time of between 1 and 2 secs.....thats quite long actually, so I guess that must be the 82357B clone which I suspected was slower than the genuine one.......or a combination of slow instruments and USB overheads.
My 82357B is a clone also, but these days I use an Agilent E5810A GPIB/Lan adaptor.

Nothing to do with GPIB, but I just hate Usb with a vengance!........thank gawd for ZADIG when AVRISP programmers decide to flip their drivers....aarrgghhh!

Ian.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #360 on: April 26, 2021, 07:12:17 pm »
Wow those gpib to lan adapters aren’t cheap...

I will have another crack at getting my 3457A working properly later on, it is just odd that it works sometimes and then drops off, regardless of which GPIB software I’m trying to use.
Cheers Scott

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #361 on: April 26, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »

I will have another crack at getting my 3457A working properly later on, it is just odd that it works sometimes and then drops off, regardless of which GPIB software I’m trying to use.

Could be a cable issue also........my 3457A wouldn't connect the other day then I noticed I had removed a device on the chain and had a cable unterminated (loose) which knackered the bus.

Ian.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:38:34 pm by IanJ »

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #362 on: April 26, 2021, 08:43:20 pm »
Reminds me a bit of SCSI, where the last device on the chain had to be terminated to prevent the bus falling over... I wonder if there are terminators available for it?
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #363 on: April 27, 2021, 03:28:36 am »
So I think I have had enough of GPIB now...

Yesterday the Datron and Solartron worked perfectly and the HP wouldn't go, today without changing ANYTHING the HP works and the Datron and Solartron are playing up ARGHHH.
Cheers Scott

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2021, 06:34:07 am »
So I think I have had enough of GPIB now...

Yesterday the Datron and Solartron worked perfectly and the HP wouldn't go, today without changing ANYTHING the HP works and the Datron and Solartron are playing up ARGHHH.

Well, could be any number of things, in no particular order:

1. Usb chipset drivers on your laptop (my first choice)
2. Anti-virus getting in the way
3. GPIB cables (I doubt it)
4. 82357B playing up
5. Assume all your GPIB addresses are different across all instruments
6. Something else in Windows getting in the way

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #365 on: April 27, 2021, 10:18:01 am »

Wow!, you're not wrong......Ebay prices right up on E5810A GPIB/Lan adaptors........I paid £250 ($350 USD) for mine in 2018.

There is a couple cheap'ish ones on Ebay at the moment if anyone is interested. Far better than having Usb woes!

Ian.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2021, 06:36:51 am »
Well, after some more tinkering today I have a BIT of an idea what is going on... if I try to have more than one device working it results in Polling being turned on, which messes with the Datron 1062.

I have to use VISA with the Solartron 7061, but ADlink with the Datron 1062 and HP3457A... and I have to carefully set the checkboxes if I am switching between profiles to change instruments as the checkboxes are not stored as part of each profile when selecting different ones.

But at least today I managed to get all three instruments working again, just not all at once, I can run the HP and the Solartron at the same time, but not the Datron with anything else, I really think I might need to have isolated GPIB buses to be able to control these as I want.

I have a simple first goal, to be able to monitor 2 or 3 multimeters from power up to learn what their settling time is like relative to my Datron 4700 after it has been on for a day.

Once I get this to behave properly and reliably, my next intention is to try and control my Datron 4700, to hopefully allow me to automate tests on equipment when doing things such as product reviews etc. BUT this also adds another level of complexity, as I don't have any way right now to actually do automation, I'm certainly not paying $100's a year just to use Labview a couple of times a year, and then there is the possibility of needing to use Python to do it instead... if I can get that working, and learn how to write stuff in python.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:41:51 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2021, 11:50:47 am »
Well, after some more tinkering today I have a BIT of an idea what is going on... if I try to have more than one device working it results in Polling being turned on, which messes with the Datron 1062.

I have to use VISA with the Solartron 7061, but ADlink with the Datron 1062 and HP3457A... and I have to carefully set the checkboxes if I am switching between profiles to change instruments as the checkboxes are not stored as part of each profile when selecting different ones.

But at least today I managed to get all three instruments working again, just not all at once, I can run the HP and the Solartron at the same time, but not the Datron with anything else, I really think I might need to have isolated GPIB buses to be able to control these as I want.

I have a simple first goal, to be able to monitor 2 or 3 multimeters from power up to learn what their settling time is like relative to my Datron 4700 after it has been on for a day.

Once I get this to behave properly and reliably, my next intention is to try and control my Datron 4700, to hopefully allow me to automate tests on equipment when doing things such as product reviews etc. BUT this also adds another level of complexity, as I don't have any way right now to actually do automation, I'm certainly not paying $100's a year just to use Labview a couple of times a year, and then there is the possibility of needing to use Python to do it instead... if I can get that working, and learn how to write stuff in python.

If the Datron is responding on *any* address then that would certainly be a problem. Is there any indication on the front panel that this may be the case? Either that or it's just a Datron issue.
Failing that, no reason you can't run two 82357B units together if you want to split the bus.

I'll have a look at the check boxes later this week and have them saved (including adding a set to default button). Keep an eye out for a new version in this thread.

PS. If you haven't already, then I suggest you purchase a Usb-TnH SHT30 temp probe so you can monitor temps also......it's an eye opener when you see the temperature vary on the graphs alongside your instrument voltages etc.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2021, 05:28:18 pm »
I also noticed that the check boxes are not remembered correctly / at all by the Save Profiles button, for instance the "Enable polling" is always on, even if i turned it off and then save it, when I open it up again it is selected again.

Hi all,

New version V3.23 in Post #1 available for download.
[Virus acanned using Kaspersky Antivirus & Malwarebytes Premium]

This version implements the saving of the 5 checkboxes in each Device.
I haven't extensively tested so any issues let me know.......
I have more to do in the app regarding saving profiles, but will do that in the next few weeks.

PS. This version I have compiled and published using Visual Studio 2019 (upgraded from 2015) and as such the I am assuming V3_23_Quick.zip will still work for upgrades. If it doesn't then do a full uninstall and re-install (copy your Notepad text file out first).

Ian.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:38:55 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2021, 11:18:21 pm »
Thanks Ian.

I have purchased a E5810A, once that arrives I will dig into it some more and see if I an get everything to behave on a different/seperate interface.

Ian can you email me the source code please as I would like to take a look at it, (I have NO experience with visual studio and development on a PC etc.) but you never know, maybe I can figure it out and add more devices (not likely, but you never know!)
Cheers Scott

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2021, 07:58:35 am »
Thanks Ian.

I have purchased a E5810A, once that arrives I will dig into it some more and see if I an get everything to behave on a different/seperate interface.

Ian can you email me the source code please as I would like to take a look at it, (I have NO experience with visual studio and development on a PC etc.) but you never know, maybe I can figure it out and add more devices (not likely, but you never know!)

Email sent.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #371 on: May 03, 2021, 06:48:09 pm »
Hi all,

New version V3.24 in Post #1 available for download.
[Virus acanned using Kaspersky Antivirus & Malwarebytes Premium]

This version further tweaks the profile saving functions.
- STB mask now saved for each profile, as is the /1000 checkbox.
- Launching the app now loads Profile 1 checkbox settings properly now.
- I also got rid of a duplicated subroutine (harmless) I had inadvertently put in the code!

Any issues with the above please let me know.

PS. This version I have compiled and published using Visual Studio 2019 (upgraded from 2015) and as such the I am assuming V3_24_Quick.zip will still work for upgrades. If it doesn't then do a full uninstall and re-install (copy your Notepad text file out first).

Ian.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:50:22 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #372 on: May 10, 2021, 05:17:28 pm »
Hi all,

I've been playing with the PLAYBACK CHART and trying to get a graph/chart that is much more flexible. The current one is a complete and utter fudge of the built in MS 'chart' function but it's really limited. You can only have a max of two scales no matter how many line traces you have.....so when you look at it the PPM scale and the TIME scale along the top are calculated and put there manually by me, not by the chart function.....which makes scaling etc a bit of a nightmare.

So, anyways I came across a chart/graphing solution thats free for non-commercial apps.......so I have been playing with it. This screenshot is VERY early but all the scales and even the tooltip as shown is by the plugin and the scales are autodetecting......very easy to use (Javascript)......and hopefully a lot faster. It supports zooming etc also.

I'll play with it further but just thought I'd share my findings.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, denimdragon, Grandchuck, Labrat101

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2021, 10:49:45 pm »
Hi Ian ,
 I have to say Thanks for this wonderful article .. you save me from going Mad with getting
my HP3457A to connect to my HP82357B GPIB to USB .
And not being a software Guy .. Hardware only and getting very grey . Dam I wish the tubes (valves) would come back .
I saw your YouTube video and it looked too easy . so I installed it and worked first time . Ok I made a few errors in the setting 2 minute problem . The Graph and the data Logging was just what I was looking for . 
  Thanks great work.. Updates to the program works GREAT  :-+ :-+ :-+

:popcorn: 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:06:50 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #374 on: May 18, 2021, 10:16:52 am »
Hi Ian ,
 I have to say Thanks for this wonderful article .. you save me from going Mad with getting
my HP3457A to connect to my HP82357B GPIB to USB .

Thanks for the kind words!

Let me know how you get on in terms of reliability with the 82357B, it's been a long while since I used my own one and there's been one report of issues with them.
Also, is yours an Ebay copy, or a legit HP unit?........the price paid if it was by Ebay is the dead give away.
NB. Mine is the cheap copy.

Ian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf