Author Topic: Building a Microwave Generator  (Read 5825 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
Building a Microwave Generator
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »
For testing purpose I need a RF signal from 4Ghz to 12Ghz.  :wtf:

I started to build a simple generator with a VCO at 10Ghz (tunable at +/- 1 Ghz) but only 2 dBm output, since I use  a power splitter in my testing configuration the residual level was to low  :palm:

Since I don't want to spend a fortune on a used "modern" generator nor use a 19 inch monster on my instrument shelf that is anyway not cheap (technology  from 20 years ago) I decided to build a small one myself with minimum the requirement 4-12Ghz  :box:

The easy way to build such a generator is using a YIG oscillator, for people interested in this technology : http://www.microlambdawireless.com/apppdfs/ytodefinitions2.pdf

I was lucky to score one on ebay working from 3,2Ghz till 14Ghz for a good price.

A YIG oscillator is current driven, the frequency is virtually proportional to the current that flow in the coil.

In my case I need 3 supply's:

1) Heating : 12VDC 150mA
2) Bias : 12VDC 110 mA
3) Coil : from 150 to 650 mA

I need as well 5VDC to drive the display. Since the frequency is virtually proportional to the current I just add a shunt between the power supply from the coil and a 1K ohm variable resistor in parallel to tune the mV/Frequency.

For stability reason I have limited the minimum frequency at 3,5Ghz min and 13,5Ghz max.  :-+
Output is between 15 and 17dBm  :-DD

On the picture there is a 10dB attenuator on the frequency meter.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:11:43 pm by eurofox »
eurofox

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Building a Microwave Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
Way beyond me, the highest I've ever worked at is 500 MHz and even that was more of an art than a science. Try talking to the people at Minicircuits or Synergy Microwave.

www.minicircuits.com

http://synergymwave.com
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »
Way beyond me, the highest I've ever worked at is 500 MHz and even that was more of an art than a science.

You don't need voodoo or a grey beard to use a YIG, it's basically a VCO in a box, you give it the right supply and out comes the RF  :)

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
I just looked on ebay for "YIG tuned" and found 66 items, some of them are really low cost.
Are you just building it for fun or why are you not buying one of those available for sale?

What kind of testing are you planing to do at those high frequencies?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:28:24 pm »
I just looked on ebay for "YIG tuned" and found 66 items, some of them are really low cost.
Are you just building it for fun or why are you not buying one of those available for sale?

Not sure what your search showed you but OP stated that he bought a YIG tuned oscillator from ebay.
I don't see anything complete in a box with that search term.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
I discovered YIG oscillators & filters a few years ago.  They are fun little toys, aren't they?   :)

A typical YIG driver is actually a voltage to current converter.  Put in 0 - 10 volts and the output current changes to tune the oscillator.  The nice thing about a driver like that is that you can have pots to tweak the top and bottom ends to minimize the error.

If you want to get fancy, you can use a synthesized controller to lock the YIG to a reference.  Very cool!

Ed

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

I use of course a YIG "contained" oscillator, I don't build based on the crystal.

I need it to test a 11Ghz sampling oscilloscope.
eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »
I discovered YIG oscillators & filters a few years ago.  They are fun little toys, aren't they?   :)

A typical YIG driver is actually a voltage to current converter.  Put in 0 - 10 volts and the output current changes to tune the oscillator.  The nice thing about a driver like that is that you can have pots to tweak the top and bottom ends to minimize the error.

If you want to get fancy, you can use a synthesized controller to lock the YIG to a reference.  Very cool!

Ed

I use a 10 turn precision potentiometer and variable resistors for the low and high limits.

I can tune up to 1Mhz resolution, it is quite stable after heating up without feed back.

My first idea was to include a variable attenuators but I expected a "small box" and adding attenuators could easily triple the size of the box, I have several SMA attenuators to get the signal level I need.
eurofox

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

I use of course a YIG "contained" oscillator, I don't build based on the crystal.

You'll also want a very fast step generator.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:22 pm »

You'll also want a very fast step generator.

I need to finish my ultra fast pulse generator (25ps rising edge)

I need to check as well the Tektronix 284 pulse generator that I bought
eurofox

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:16 am »
I need to finish my ultra fast pulse generator (25ps rising edge)

I need to check as well the Tektronix 284 pulse generator that I bought

I also have a 284, as well as a S-52.

Here's one for 5$ starting bid
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektonix-S-52-Pulse-Generator-Head-untested-/251617440148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a95917194

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf