Author Topic: Patch wires recommendations  (Read 700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tony359Topic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 402
  • Country: gb
Patch wires recommendations
« on: October 06, 2026, 11:53:02 am »
I'm kind of struggling to find GOOD QUALITY patch wires for my projects. For a project of mine I needed 0.5mm2 wire and I ended up buying a 2-core jacket cable from a local supplier, remove the jacket and use the wires. It was cheaper than buying a roll of 0.5mm2 wire and the one I extract from the cable are good quality.

Aliexpress is a lottery. I got a few reels for small patches but there are literally 7 strands inside, it breaks just by looking at it.

Elsewhere I might be able to find something decent but often at very high prices.

I understand materials are expensive - particularly now - but so far I haven't found a good source of decent wire which is not an arm and a leg.

I'm looking at AWG 18 to 22 I guess. Flexible, good amount of strands, possibly that doesn't melt down immediately when you solder.

Can someone recommend me something please? I am in the UK so if outside of the UK it needs to be from something like Mouser/Digikey etc.

Thank you!
 

Online mbeldyga

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 10
  • Country: us
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2026, 12:11:47 pm »
I use Remington Industries wire sets at work, in a whole range of gauges. Can't really complain
 

Online themadhippy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: gb
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2026, 12:13:34 pm »
i use this stuff from cpc,
https://cpc.farnell.com/concordia-technologies/6009412/cable-equipment-wire-7-0-20mm/dp/CB18998
use a sharpie to add colour bands for id.

Quote
but there are literally 7 strands inside
7 strands is a common cable construction used on the tiniest  hook up wire to the  large industrial cable,the stuff above is 7 strands,each strand being 0.2mm.
 

Offline tony359Topic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 402
  • Country: gb
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2026, 12:59:39 pm »
thanks @mbeldyga - it looks like Remington Industries is not available in the UK.

@themadhippy
Thanks - I need to check but the wires I got from Aliexpress are considerably lower quality compared to what I find coming with Delta fans from Mouser/Digikey. I need to count the strands/diameters. I do know the strands are actual copper, they don't burn when heated with a lighter.

The CPC stuff looks good and I see they have bigger lengths as well at low price. I might give that a go, thanks!

EDIT

I looked closely at the stuff I got from Ali and the wire used by DELTA. They're both AWG 24 and 11 strands. BUT, Delta uses 0.2mm diameter strands, the Ali stuff is more 0.1mm - probably between 0.1 and 0.15mm. They cheaped out as usual! :D

I'd like to find some 11 strands though. I feel 7 are too little. I'll look into CPC, if someone has some recommendations, please shout :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2026, 01:32:49 pm by tony359 »
 

Online themadhippy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: gb
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2026, 03:02:00 pm »
Quote
They're both AWG 24 and 11 strands. BUT, Delta uses 0.2mm diameter strands, the Ali stuff is more 0.1mm
if the number of cores are the same,but the cross sectional area of the cores is  different they will be a different  awg,11/0.2 is about 22awg,11/0.1 is  more like  28awg. All having more cores for a given csa achieves, is greater flexibility, a bit of 511 x 0.05 will take bending and twisting much better than the equivalent single core 1mm cable
 

Offline jc101

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 877
  • Country: gb
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2026, 04:14:06 pm »
Rapid normally has a selection of hook up wires available too: https://www.rapidonline.com
 

Offline tony359Topic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 402
  • Country: gb
Re: Patch wires recommendations
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2026, 05:59:23 pm »
indeed @themadhippy

I was reading what the jacket says. I'm positive both say 24AWG. As you say, they cannot be both 24.

Though for 24AWG I only seem to be finding 7 strands on online suppliers which makes me question the cable used by DELTA for their fans! :D
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->