Author Topic: Brymen bm257 vs Amprobe am-270  (Read 4046 times)

Offline FairDinkumTopic starter

Brymen bm257 vs Amprobe am-270
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
Hi there I'm a hobbyist about to start building a headphone amp (bottlehead crack + speedball). I'm looking to buy a DMM and through my search I've seen the Brymen and Amprobe mentioned often.

The Brymen bm257 is only rated to 8A, while the Amprobe has a bad backlight. I wont be working in the dark though. In terms of performance and my needs, which DMM should I go for?

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Brymen bm257 vs Amprobe am-270
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:56:10 am »
Either one should meet your needs for basic measurements. I wouldn't overspend and save any residual cash for an oscilloscope, which will be invaluable.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline torr032

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:52 am »
For the electronic use uni-t ut61e price/performance ratio is still unbeatable. No other DMM comes even close.

Offline FairDinkumTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:54:08 am »
Thanks guys! Just to be sure - a 8A rating (on the Brymen) is okay for a hobbyist? I'll be running and testing the amp with 230v running  through the circuit. EDIT: Brymen spec says it can take 15A for 30 secs.

Will check out the Uni-T UT61E. And now I also see that Franky is offering the Uni-T UT139c in his shop. He also has the Digitek true RMS DMM at an even cheaper price. So many choice. But safety for me a very important also as I'm a beginner.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:14:52 am by FairDinkum »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 05:31:34 am »
I would agree that the UT61E is a big bang for the price. It has high count, good accuracy although it can drift quite a bit, and includes a PC connection kit. It does not have a back light, no temperature measurement, and if you get the international model version the input protection is a bit of a joke. The German "GS" version is rated correctly. It is a good bench and electronics meter but keep it away from high energy circuits.

Between the BM257 and the Amprobe AM270, I would pick whichever you like better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf