Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope  (Read 348695 times)

AndyBig and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #1800 on: February 28, 2024, 06:28:20 pm »
Is is possible to just decompile individual classes? Surely that would make it much more manageable.
I’ve already thought about this, but I haven’t found any evidence that Android Studio can compile .smali files. It would be convenient to insert into the project only a few interesting Java sources for modification, and all other files are guaranteed working .smali files.
Someday later I will explore this possibility again :)

The majority of the code in these is C++ though. From the poking around I did it seemed like Java is only used for UI, everything else is in a huge .so file (12Mb IIRC).
Yes, I also come to this conclusion. The application here is simply an interface between the user and the .so library. Transfer the user's wishes to the library and take data from there for display (except for traces that are drawn without the participation of the application).

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1801 on: February 28, 2024, 06:43:46 pm »
ADC is capable to make 2 Gsa/s. Dont know how is with FPGA, but we should try to do at least 1.5.

That would be a good hack.

There's been speculation that the bottleneck is the FPGA but we don't know that for sure.

It all depends on what generates the clock. It might be fixed by hardware though.

That was one of my thoughts - quartz or PLL.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: February 28, 2024, 07:01:51 pm »
There's been speculation that the bottleneck is the FPGA but we don't know that for sure.
It all depends on what generates the clock. It might be fixed by hardware though.

The clocks are most likely generated inside the FPGA via a PLL, based on an external quartz. You could reconfigure the PLL if you had access to the FPGA VHDL or Verilog code -- but that would most likely not give you a working, faster data processing.

The permissible maximum frequency will depend on the transit delays of the logic gates and routing delays of the connecting fabric; it depends on how the circuit in the FPGA is set up. If we assume that the Rigol engineers are neither dumb nor mean, they will be running the FPGA close to the maximum it can reliably achieve.

Ok, there is the possibility that they are mean. ;)  Maybe the DHO800/900 are deliberately throttled to keep the DHO1000 series well-differentiated. But still, I don't think you can realistically re-configure the clock without access to the FPGA sources.

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: February 28, 2024, 10:04:51 pm »
Maybe answer is much simpler than we think. And maybe the answer exists in this file: DHO1000-DHO4000 Update v00.02.12.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: February 28, 2024, 10:06:02 pm »
Maybe answer is much simpler than we think. And maybe the answer exists in this file: DHO1000-DHO4000 Update v00.02.12.

The answer is 42. But what is the question?

The following users thanked this post: AndyBig, AceyTech

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: February 28, 2024, 10:11:52 pm »

How to increase sample rate. Rigol makes clues like in a good criminal story.

Speaking of criminal... Right now Im running Linux on 924S and with really cold heatsink and cold cpu, it often crashes with heavy cpu load - I think they didnt give too much capacitors.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1806 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:42 pm »
Right now Im running Linux on 924S and with really cold heatsink and cold cpu, it often crashes with heavy cpu load - I think they didnt give too much capacitors.

Since the scope ran nice and stable under Android, isn't the much more likely explanation that there is something not quite right with the Linux kernel or drivers?

"Ever since I'm driving blindfolded, my car keeps bumping into things. I think the manufacturer did a lousy job with the steering wheel design!"

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: February 28, 2024, 10:27:11 pm »
Right now Im running Linux on 924S and with really cold heatsink and cold cpu, it often crashes with heavy cpu load - I think they didnt give too much capacitors.

Since the scope ran nice and stable under Android, isn't the much more likely explanation that there is something not quite right with the Linux kernel or drivers?

"Ever since I'm driving blindfolded, my car keeps bumping into things. I think the manufacturer did a lousy job with the steering wheel design!"

To check this, offcourse I need to install log rotate (to see some logs before a crash) and measure voltages/ripples. BTW. buck converter IC is managed via I2C and I had some problems with one kernel module related to this bus.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: February 28, 2024, 10:29:11 pm »
What's the CPU load when it's running the 'scope application?

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: February 28, 2024, 10:33:56 pm »

I Didnt check it before. Right now I have fight with Debian instead of Android and currently (sadly) no rigol app - it will be later.

Some days ago I was playing HoM&MIII (old game from 90' ported to Android - heavy load for short moments like 10-15 seconds at most) on it for couple hours and rigol app was working in the background without any problems.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:36:50 pm by norbert.kiszka »

Offline Tor Björn

• Contributor
« Reply #1810 on: February 29, 2024, 03:57:54 am »
I measured cpu usage of my DHO802 using the system monitor of the ADB Shell apk:
https://youtube.com/shorts/G_zunMmZ-TA?si=r4rV0MslRNU9YPfI

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: February 29, 2024, 05:46:52 am »
then it updates the channel color variable.
I talked about this. Do you already know how the color is set to the channel trace? Found this variable?

Online AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1812 on: February 29, 2024, 09:21:02 am »
For those who want to modify the application, I found a convenient extension for VS Code - APKLab. It is very convenient to edit smali with syntax highlighting. Can compile with one click after changes, align, sign and install on the device. Replaces manual work with a set of utilities apktool, zipalign, jarsigner.
Maybe, of course, everyone already knows about this program and I’m writing about the obvious, but I just found it now :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:22:55 am by AndyBig »

The following users thanked this post: RAPo, norbert.kiszka

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #1813 on: February 29, 2024, 09:43:39 am »
dont depend your life on a movie, pop culture or some pure coincidence. you life will be in jeopardy ;) ;D i swear i'll never watch that movie again, my time is more precious.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1814 on: February 29, 2024, 09:52:57 am »
dont depend your life on a movie, pop culture or some pure coincidence. you life will be in jeopardy ;) ;D i swear i'll never watch that movie again, my time is more precious.

I didn't even realize there was a movie. I read the book and played the text adventure, looong ago. Worth every minute! :)

The following users thanked this post: dmulligan

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: February 29, 2024, 10:17:48 am »
I measured cpu usage of my DHO802 using the system monitor of the ADB Shell apk:

It's working pretty hard. Rigol did not provide that heat spreader and fan for decorative purposes...

Offline Tor Björn

• Contributor
« Reply #1816 on: February 29, 2024, 10:45:09 am »
It's working pretty hard. Rigol did not provide that heat spreader and fan for decorative purposes...
Yes you are right. But don't mind the graphical artifacts and distortions. Just my phone was recording the screen, at same time controlling the oscilloscope via the web interface, and receiving data via adb.

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: February 29, 2024, 02:09:32 pm »

Yeah... You didnt see me when doing make -j 6 to compile Linux kernel. So all cores was loaded to 100% for a quite long time. When I omit '-j ', only one core was fully loaded and int this case, it was very stable.

I will check that issue later - maybe its design or maybe only my scope. Now I need to have proper kernel to load Rigol kernel modules - I dont have source code, so at least I need same or similar version of Kernel. I cant do 10 things at the same time - its much harder to keep focus :)

Offline flaotte

• Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: February 29, 2024, 02:34:34 pm »
Manufacturer is slowly releasing firmware updates, you guys are moving lightning speed forward with some decent upgrades and tons of PoC hacks...
Where is the golden spot as for today?

can someone summarize which is best-to-date "stable" hack to use on rigol 804?

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1819 on: February 29, 2024, 02:41:54 pm »
do a search by "zelea2" in this topic, you'll find the latest mentions of the git repo and other necessary leads.

The following users thanked this post: flaotte

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1820 on: February 29, 2024, 03:03:27 pm »
do a search by "zelea2" in this topic, you'll find the latest mentions of the git repo and other necessary leads.

Forum search engines takes a lot of cpu and database load - sometimes user must wait even many minutes for output. Its quicker to use db indexes by using user page (link on the nick) -> Show Posts on the left side.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: February 29, 2024, 03:32:01 pm »
then it updates the channel color variable.
I talked about this. Do you already know how the color is set to the channel trace? Found this variable?
Did you edit the colors xml file?
Edit "yellow" at the bottom of the doc.

Online AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1822 on: February 29, 2024, 04:58:05 pm »
Did you edit the colors xml file?
Edit "yellow" at the bottom of the doc.
Yes, I tried to do this at the very beginning of my attempts to change something in the application :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5348603/#msg5348603

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #1823 on: February 29, 2024, 05:55:23 pm »
Forum search engines takes a lot of cpu and database load - sometimes user must wait even many minutes for output.
i remember this only happened when i was on intel i386 or earlier. how old are you? ;D
here one of the result.. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-hdo1khdo4k-rigol-12-bit-scope/msg5320080/#msg5320080 (not search on this topic, i searched on the entire forum... 9 hits)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1824 on: February 29, 2024, 06:02:40 pm »
Forum search engines takes a lot of cpu and database load - sometimes user must wait even many minutes for output. Its quicker to use db indexes by using user page (link on the nick) -> Show Posts on the left side.
Not since indexing came into the picture ~30+yrs ago.
Almost all forum package have built-in indexing, or the platform has an indexer on the side used by the forum code.
Using the indexer to find stuff does take cpu, but mush less overall cpu time due to very fast results.
Some system admins might even bound forum processes to cpu's 0,1,2,3,4,5 and bound indexer process to cpu's 6,7

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf