Author Topic: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope  (Read 67725 times)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2022, 12:13:20 pm »
I can now see how the metal stand prevents it from falling over backward. The important parts were not revealed before. However, using any angled stand I've ever had, the designers have never chosen the angle I prefer. In this one it's flat, 90 deg. or the one angle. Why not make it adjustable?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2022, 12:14:21 pm »
Though I probably shouldn't just point the finger at Tek, I bet other manufacturers shovel similar BS.
That is what's called Marketing ... And Tek is no different than others.
Personally it makes me sick seeing companies comparing themselves to each other, bringing out only better specs, not mentioning worse.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2022, 12:16:18 pm »
Yeah this sort of thing is was what I was referring to with "Some cherry picking and outright deliberately misleading omissions" in their comparisons - while I don't have experience with the KS 2k series scope, the R&S has: actually 20Mpts max single-capture memory in half-channel mode (plus up to 160 across multiple captures in segmented mode), 10-bit depth etc.

Yeah, I kind of assumed the new Tek scope was only 8 bits when that wasn't on the comparison either ....
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: NEW Next Gen Tektronix Scope
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »
there is a VESA mount
it could be attached to a standard monitor arm/stand
or one of their accessories
and is duplicated on the back of the battery pack so you can still use the same accessories when its fitted

.... then its a matter of interpretation. You pushed the marketing nonsense about it, and I quote verbatim:
Name another scope that:
- Moves seamlessly from bench use to portable use, with VESA mount and rack mount option.
It doesn't move seamlessly from bench to portable use, nothing clips on/off in a smooth motion. There is a VESA mount that things can be screwed onto, and to swap mount/position/use you need to unscrew the current mount and then screw on another (or in another position).

1000% not seamless, it looks like a stand is pretty much mandatory to use this scope with (such as the one included that offers different set/mounted angles) which immediately uses up the VESA mount. The stands/configurations are mutually exclusive, you can't pick it up off the tilting mount and have it sit flat. As others pointed out the size/weight of this makes the power cabling and probes a significant force (common to many of these small plastic scopes).

The only thing going for it is that it does have the VESA mounts. But you keep talking like they are more than just a set of dumb threaded holes. A nice feature, but not some ingeniously integrated design wonder that is making me embarrassed for correctly guessing they would be just some holes on the back of the scope.

Ok, fine, I'm done, you clearly have some grudge to nit pick about my wording in a post. I'm not playing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2022, 12:22:25 pm »
I can now see how the metal stand prevents it from falling over backward. The important parts were not revealed before. However, using any angled stand I've ever had, the designers have never chosen the angle I prefer. In this one it's flat, 90 deg. or the one angle. Why not make it adjustable?

It has two angles, 90deg or slightly angled, haven't measured it. And two if you flip it around so it's flat or slightly angled laying down.
I also questioned why it didn't have a hinge in my reaction video.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2022, 12:26:20 pm »
Understand what they are trying to acheive here, but as per past Tek launches it fails yet again. Suspect this is aimed at setas of learning and faceless companies that can make a phone to the 35+ years association with their bearded Tek rep circa 1972 and order 50+ bean counters won;t be whinging once the 35%+ discount kicks in for that kind of order. Yawn.

Out of curiosity, in your opinion how does it "fail"? Sounds like it's pricing?

Quite.

Such statements without reasons are merely noise.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2022, 12:26:56 pm »
For a professional user, price/performance is important, even for places that have no problem buying 250000 USD VNA if they have a business need for it and if it is necessary to do the job...

It's no different to the 3, 4, 5, or 6 series in this regard. I'm not sure why anyone expected anything else?
They had the 3 series and could obviously not canibalise that market segment.

While this scope is a refreshing thing coming from otherwise very complacent Tek, it is very misguided product in a very Tek way.
They are competing  with RTB2000 and pricing it according to it? Why?

Because they couldn't canibalise the existing 3 series market, and wanted to offer something a bit different in terms of useability in the lower end.
Marketing then had to compare it to something, because that's what marketing does. IMO they are really comparable, so it's just another top level marketing comparison table that conveniently leaves off stuff that hurts them. Nothing new here.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2022, 12:29:16 pm »
Though I probably shouldn't just point the finger at Tek, I bet other manufacturers shovel similar BS.
That is what's called Marketing ... And Tek is no different than others.
Personally it makes me sick seeing companies comparing themselves to each other, bringing out only better specs, not mentioning worse.

Bill and Dave didn't allow their salesmen to make detrimental comparisons. They did allow them to point out significant features, and let their customers decide whether they were benefits.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2022, 12:32:10 pm »
You seem to be missing the point.. This is not BMW forum where rich kids bulshit about which car is more fancy and they don't care how much it costs "because I'm worth it".. And daddy pays for it...
Sorry, but you got it wrong.
As per now it's one and the only, such a compact device, with removable batteries and good capabilities.
Please don't forget, that oscilloscopes are used also for slow signals, that don't require more than RTB2K can offer.
That is the case for me. Here having choice R&S 2K and Tek MSO2 for traveling with it, Tek wins. As simple as that I can put it in my bagpack, R&S I can't.

And money wise. For bussiness that amounts are peanuts, just another tool in toolbox.
Show me another device in such a form factor and similar capabilities.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2022, 12:45:46 pm »
Just seen this today.
MSO242-BW-500 4 Analog Channels, 2.5GS/s sample rate, 10Mpts record length 500MHz Bandwidth (It's unclear if Logic analyzer is included or not) €9760
MSOX3054T MSO / MDO Oscilloscope, InfiniiVision 3000T X, 4+16 Channel, 500 MHz, 5 GSPS, 4 Mpts, 700 ps € 13160
Seems to be competitively priced. Though it comes with 1 year warranty  :wtf:
The vesa mount is a good idea, I can totally see this wall mounted, taking zero space from the bench. Did anyone see a picture of the power brick?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: June 07, 2022, 12:57:53 pm »
You seem to be missing the point.. This is not BMW forum where rich kids bulshit about which car is more fancy and they don't care how much it costs "because I'm worth it".. And daddy pays for it...
As per now it's one and the only, such a compact device, with removable batteries and good capabilities.
Please don't forget, that oscilloscopes are used also for slow signals, that don't require more than RTB2K can offer.
That is the case for me. Here having choice R&S 2K and Tek MSO2 for traveling with it, Tek wins. As simple as that I can put it in my bagpack, R&S I can't.

And money wise. For bussiness that amounts are peanuts, just another tool in toolbox.
Show me another device in such a form factor and similar capabilities.

What capabilities you will use?? Could you explain a bit, roughly, please? BW, channels etc..
There are many devices that are better stationary scopes and better portable scopes...

You might have a specific niche need where this scope might be good fit, for whatever reason, I cannot argue with that. In fact, you can decide to get some equipment because it looks good, because your customers expect that...

Like I said, for instance, membrane keyboards are heaven sent for easy disinfection....If you need that, it might be more important than only having 1 math channel...

But in general, it is a mishmash of many things with no particular focus and too high a price for what it is...
Of course that is my opinion, based on my, well, opinions... ^-^

In my opinion (and that is based on info I have), all of the RTB2000, Keysight 2000 and this Tex are a "placeholder" devices: a device that is there only to fill in a place in a catalog.
And don't get me wrong, I think this  is better device than Keysight 2000, as is the RTB2000 better device than Keysight 2000. But that is a moot point because there are many 1000 class devices that are better than Keysight 2000...

Bit if this Tek 2 is priced as it looks to be, you can get a 500MHz R/S RTM3000 series, or Keysight 3000G series, or any number of Siglent devices (including 12 bit) AND a nice really portable battery powered scope for the money.
Very good Micsig scope costs less than battery for Tek...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #361 on: June 07, 2022, 01:05:47 pm »
I'm sorry, but to me, shiny membrane keyboards scream kitchen appliance..
I have the exact same impression - being burned by older test gear with membrane buttons in the past (Wavetek, for example), I can't shake the feeling of a hard-to-use UI. On the other hand, some membrane buttons can be well made and I would need to actually use it to have a more concrete opinion.

You clearly don't understand what's happening here.
VESA mounts are on the back of the scope AND battery pack, so you can mount the scope WITH or WITHOUT the battery pack to EITHER the sexy metal handle stand which has 4 angles of viewing depending on which (very nice) thumb screws you use and which way you orient it. Or you can use the plastic kick stand on EITHER the battery back version or direct on the scope.

You are demonstrably wrong that "Just a straight out VESA mount that is mutually exclusive with portability".

Indeed VESA mounts are interesting and I would have loved to see a simple clip-on adapter to it as well. It is seamless in the sense it seems that it can be converted from mount to portable, but the inconvenience of the screws is what I think it kills the "seamless" stance.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #362 on: June 07, 2022, 01:11:51 pm »
What capabilities you will use?? Could you explain a bit, roughly, please? BW, channels etc..
There are many devices that are better stationary scopes and better portable scopes...
Sure, I can give some examples.
Like using mask testing to look for wiring issues with tension cells excitation signal.
Or CAN bus decoding to trigger on faulty frames.

Sure, there are other options. I won't argue with that.
And yes, it's definately not the device with best WYG/$ ratio.

I'm just saying, there is a market for device like that, believe it or not.
And so far not many competitors has descent devices in such a form factor. That is what it is about.
For bench work for someone doing R&D, absolutely, there are way better possibilities.
As a portable device, if you don't mind the price it looks very nice.

Also as simple as adding VESA to such a thin device opens a lot of possibilities for making test benches for simple things, that even 70MHz is enough.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 01:18:33 pm by KrzysztofB »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2022, 01:30:51 pm »

That's the trick (currently) with the 2 series. It provides a portable and VESA mount solution no one else has. Especially useful for existing Tek 3/4/5/6 benchtop owners where the interface is exactly the same. There is also the data sharing an automation integration stuff.
If you don't need the portable or VESA mount, or are particually taken with the form factor and/or interface, then it's probably not an option most would consider.
I for one wouldn't chose it over my RTB2004, if I had to choose one.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, 2N3055, pdenisowski

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2022, 01:36:36 pm »
In my opinion (and that is based on info I have), all of the RTB2000, Keysight 2000 and this Tex are a "placeholder" devices: a device that is there only to fill in a place in a catalog.

I can't see how you can call it "placholder" when it has the VESA mount and battery options. That alone makes it highly desirable to some market segments.
If it was just a 2 series desktop unit, which is what I actually expected until I opened the bag, then I would agree it was a placeholder.
They seem to have tried to not make it just a placeholder.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, 2N3055

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #365 on: June 07, 2022, 01:40:30 pm »
And boot time on RTB.... LOVE IT!

The boot time on the 2 series unfortunately sucks arse  :(

The following users thanked this post: jusaca, pdenisowski

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #366 on: June 07, 2022, 02:12:15 pm »

I can assure you that R&S does not consider the RTB2000 a "placeholder"  - it's a very popular product.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: June 07, 2022, 02:13:37 pm »

I can't see how you can call it "placholder" when it has the VESA mount and battery options. That alone makes it highly desirable to some market segments.
If it was just a 2 series desktop unit, which is what I actually expected until I opened the bag, then I would agree it was a placeholder.
They seem to have tried to not make it just a placeholder.

I agree, as I said, there is some innovation... I also would like VESA mounts on all scopes...

But batteries on it are huge module that costs as much as top of the line Micsig.... Whole  Micsig is like 1.5 kilos...

It is more portable around the lab.. Where all you get compared to any other scope not needing trying to find a socket and no boot time..
Which (boot time) on RTB2000 is so good, you don't care... By the time you connect probes it's ready...

Portable in field? With battery it is as big and twice as heavy as RTB2000. RTB is actually easier (lighter) to take on travel ...
And really portable scope is something else...

It has some advantages but they are, I don't know, not worth the price they are asking?

The following users thanked this post: Someone, pdenisowski, scoper007

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: June 07, 2022, 02:21:05 pm »

I can assure you that R&S does not consider the RTB2000 a "placeholder"  - it's a very popular product.

With all due respect, that is only a statement that R&S is happy with sales in comparison to internal projections, whatever they are... >:D
And I'm sure there are many happy customers...
But we all know that R&S real strength and focus lies up the chain, where it makes many absolutely extraordinary products...

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #369 on: June 07, 2022, 02:21:44 pm »
I'm sorry, but to me, shiny membrane keyboards scream kitchen appliance..
I have the exact same impression - being burned by older test gear with membrane buttons in the past (Wavetek, for example), I can't shake the feeling of a hard-to-use UI. On the other hand, some membrane buttons can be well made and I would need to actually use it to have a more concrete opinion.

It can be used without the front panel controls at all, using entirely the touch screen or remote screen control.

Indeed VESA mounts are interesting and I would have loved to see a simple clip-on adapter to it as well. It is seamless in the sense it seems that it can be converted from mount to portable, but the inconvenience of the screws is what I think it kills the "seamless" stance.

There probably aren't too many scenarios when you would have it VESA mounted and then want to immediately whip it off into a portable carry unit. VESA mount is usually a fixed install thing.
But there are already existing quick release VESA mounts like this:
https://www.amazon.com.au/VIVO-Attachment-Removable-Mounting-Stand-VAD2/dp/B01BTAAUV8
So I can see why they wouldn't have considered integrating something like that and left it to third party solutions.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, thm_w

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #370 on: June 07, 2022, 02:23:09 pm »
But we all know that R&S real strength and focus lies up the chain, where it makes many absolutely extraordinary products...

The same could be said of Tektronix.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #371 on: June 07, 2022, 02:30:12 pm »
I agree, as I said, there is some innovation... I also would like VESA mounts on all scopes...

I suspect this will start a trend.

But batteries on it are huge module that costs as much as top of the line Micsig.... Whole  Micsig is like 1.5 kilos...

Yes, but the 2 series is 500MHz and 2.5GS/s vs 100MHz and 1GS/s. That leads to greater power consumption and the need for bigger heavier packs.
And they are hot swappable which will be important for some customers.

Not really comparable IMO, the Micsig is a proper self contained tablet scope. The Tek is a portable bench scope that matches the exitsing high end line in usability.

It has some advantages but they are, I don't know, not worth the price they are asking?

Just like every other Tek scope really. They are high end player, and you pay high end price.
There are many who will bitch about the price, and I'm one of them, some of the option prices are insane. But I understand that there is a huge market segment that doesn't care, and I've worked in those markets myself.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2022, 02:31:49 pm »

I suspect this will start a trend.

Makes me wanna drill holes in my R&S :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2022, 02:33:44 pm »
And boot time on RTB.... LOVE IT!

The boot time on the 2 series unfortunately sucks arse  :(

That is unfortunate consequence of making platform on a fully featured OS so you can have common codebase..
And then you choose cheaper processor and less memory for lower range scopes...

How much is it? Even usually really fast Keysight 3000T boots in 51-52 seconds...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #374 on: June 07, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, RoGeorge, DH7DN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf