Author Topic: New Zoyi multimeter+oscilloscopes - ZT-70xS, up to 50MHz/250MSps (nov 2022)  (Read 66400 times)

m72, lazalem, Evi, Razvan_N and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Zoyi multimeter+oscilloscopes - ZT-70xS, up to 50MHz/250MSps (nov 2022)
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2023, 12:41:29 am »
I really can't say anything bad at all about Aliexpress or Banggood.

I don't think I've ordered from Bangood in years (if ever? I don't even remember anymore)

I have a few gripes with Aliexpress, but I've never lost money on a transaction. You do get a refund if things go sideways, but that's not the only place for issues.

My gripes:

Their misleading search where sellers can get an item to show up for an unreasonably low price by having different "color" options that are actually completely different products at completely different price points, but the search results show the cheapest price for the most expensive item of the available choices, and it makes the search results entirely useless and a nightmare to find a good price.

You search for: diamond ring
Search results: diamond ring - $0.05 (where the diamond ring is of the color "we send you a printed picture of a diamond ring on a piece of paper - $0.05" - the actual diamond ring is $1000, but the search doesn't show that (entirely contrived example, but you get the picture). Once one seller starts doing that, they all do, and now you can't find an actual price in the search at all - you have to dig through 15 or 20 different sellers and open up each product page and choose the right "color" option to find the actual item, and then compare the prices by hand in multiple tabs.

Unpredictable / Slow / expensive shipping, and useless search results related to that:
Some items ship free and show up in 5 days
Some items ship free and show up in 5 months
Some items shipping cost is more than the item, but it shows up in 5 days
Some items shipping cost is more than the item, and it shows up in 5 months

There's absolutely no consistency, and no real way to tell beforehand which way it's going to go. It's a total crapshoot. At some point, if it said "e-packet" shipping, it actually meant "e-packet shipping" which is pretty fast, but now everyone just lists all the shipping as "e-packet" and then sends it by slow boat anyway.

The search itself:
Search AliExpress right now for ZT703S - there's only one listing for an actual ZT703S (whether that listing is legit or not I guess is up for debate), but it will return hundreds of results that aren't that item at all. Search Amazon, and it returns 2 listings, for expensive pocket knives. Search ebay for ZT703S, and it returns "0 results". AliExpress search is like Facebook Marketplace search - useless, but it will fill the results with "pages of something" just to waste your time / keep you on the site.

Pricing (more recently):
Most sellers on AliExpress have jacked their prices way up to the point where a lot of stuff I look at now is cheaper on Amazon than it is on AliExpress, and I know I'll get it in a day or 2 from Amazon (along with a less painful return process), and combined with the other issues (especially the misleading pricing in the search), why even bother with AliExpress anymore. Amazon (or 3rd party sellers on Amazon) used to not carry a lot of stuff you could find on AliExpress, but now almost everything that's on AliExpress can also be found on Amazon now. And a lot of it can be found on EBay too. Ebay is usually cheaper for the same item (because you're not paying the Bezos tax, you're paying ebay tax which is a little less).

AliExpress USED to be really good and really cheap, even if the shipping times were all over the map. Now it's just Chinese Amazon with worse search, worse prices, and worse shipping!

That said, I still do order some stuff from AliExpress - when I really don't care about how long it will take to get to me, and I care more about saving $0.50 overall. But it's a lot less than it used to be.

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2023, 12:51:08 am »
About Amazon, when I order from Amazon and I don’t like it they will notify me in ~10 minutes after disputed transaction. If I need to speak with human they will call me.

Amazon isn't the best at returns either. I've had issues where I've had to call them multiple times to actually get money back, even after the item showed "received and processed" at the return depot for over a week. And these were not small / cheap items - it was a microscope that I returned because AmScope themselves had a better sale than buying the same thing through Amazon, and Amazon wouldn't match the price (we're talking >$200 difference in price for the exact same item). Funny how when you call, someone can click a button to return your money instantly, but if you don't call or forget about it, they just kind of forget about it too...

I've also had issues with QTY packs coming as only one item, and having to talk to someone multiple times to get it straightened out.

Amazon is far from perfect, but generally they are better than AliExpress. I still have the least issues overall with ebay (oddly - probably not everyone's experience)

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2023, 01:38:11 am »

Amazon isn't the best at returns either. I've had issues where I've had to call them...
Amazon is far from perfect, but generally they are better than AliExpress. I still have the least issues overall with ebay (oddly - probably not everyone's experience)

Of course, but the funds are immediately back in the account. Who cares about rest? :)

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2023, 08:34:06 am »
AliExpress USED to be really good and really cheap, even if the shipping times were all over the map. Now it's just Chinese Amazon with worse search, worse prices, and worse shipping!

It may depend on where you live, but for Switzerland, Amazon is usually of no interest.
For example, my last purchase on Aliexpress was a Hantek DSO2C10 for CHF 123.- ($130),  delivery included (11 days).
On Amazon.de the scope costs CHF 226.- (~$260).

While the DSO2C10 is really amazing for hobbyists for $130, I wouldn't pay $260 for it.
That's not just a slightly higher price, that's a different price range. I would look for a Rigol in that range.

A DSO2512G is CHF140 on Amazon instead of CHF78 on Aliexpress (Regular price, sometimes < CHF70).
As I said, maybe it's better elsewhere, but for us Amazon is no competition (Plus they don't accept Paypal  ;) ).

Oops, are we off-topic?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 08:36:02 am by Aldo22 »

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2023, 11:24:59 am »
From what i understand from Zotek, that they are now slowly sending the ZT-703S to reviewers who don't mind testing and updating it a few times.

"The initial batch could still have some imperfections and will have ongoing updates"

So i am suprized it is allready on AliExpress, while it is not yet on their own website.
Hope i receive mine soon, and ofcource will update here.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68, Markus2801A, RAPo

Offline siealex

• Contributor

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2023, 10:04:00 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006262867474.html
Is it real?

That's the same seller that's been discussed above, and their orders are being cancelled. I have a feeling they're not available for sale yet and this shady seller is just trying to get pre-orders in to secure early sales.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2023, 12:27:00 am »
They actually responded to my chat with them yesterday (not with their stupid automated bot). They said it's in "Quality Inspection" and will be shipped soon.

It sounds legit - it is a new product - they probably jumped the gun a bit listing it a little early. We'll see what "soon" means I guess.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2023, 12:48:38 pm »
I've got the same reply.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2023, 01:23:34 pm »
The seller promised to send the device last week. He didn't. Applied for a refund. Within 2 minutes a message from aliexpress that the money will be in my account within 2 days.

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2023, 02:08:07 pm »
If you don't mind waiting for shipping:
Looks like they have reduced the price with about $6, now $71.09 and $74.69 (plus shipping).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006262867474.html

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2023, 04:30:19 pm »
Today it's even lower, $66.09 and $69.69 (plus shipping).
And the ZT-702S is $47.63 plus shipping:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005496160073.html

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2023, 02:18:34 am »
It's currently showing $74.25 (with one probe) and $78.01 (with 2 probes) for me. Maybe it went on sale briefly and then they put it back to almost the regular price - when I ordered it it was $81 with 2 probes - not even worth arguing with them over $3

Still hasn't shipped (of course)

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2023, 02:27:22 am »
It's currently showing $74.25 (with one probe) and $78.01 (with 2 probes) for me. Maybe it went on sale briefly and then they put it back to almost the regular price - when I ordered it it was $81 with 2 probes - not even worth arguing with them over $3

Still hasn't shipped (of course)

There's a sale right now, $3 off per $30, up to $9. So $6 off the $78.01 price once added to your cart == $72.01. Still not convinced this is a reputable seller, though. Normally there are several sellers with these, including the official Zoyi store.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 02:29:13 am by Veteran68 »

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2023, 10:05:20 am »
I got a 702 from Snakol on Aliexpress a while back. No problems with them.

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2023, 05:41:18 pm »
My ZT703S order is marked shipped now! I guess they finally got them to ship.

The following users thanked this post: ddrl46

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2023, 07:20:07 pm »
My ZT703S order is marked shipped now! I guess they finally got them to ship.

Mine as well. I was considering cancelling yesterday when I saw it was in transit.

The following users thanked this post: ddrl46

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2023, 03:01:12 pm »
It's now on Zoyi's web-page:
https://zoyitools.com/product/zt-703s/
On their web shop it's $99 (which is a bit on the high side
when compared to the handheld Owons and Hanteks).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 03:07:37 pm by tunk »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2023, 03:42:34 pm »
It's now on Zoyi's web-page:
https://zoyitools.com/product/zt-703s/
On their web shop it's $99 (which is a bit on the high side
when compared to the handheld Owons and Hanteks).

I have the Owon HDS2202S and the Zoyi ZT-702S -- I don't consider them in the same class at all, and each have their place. I don't even consider the Hantek a contender based on the poor reviews I've seen for the price paid.

I do agree that if you can swing the $150 (40Mhz) to $180 (70Mhz) for the lower Owon HDS models they are a much better instrument. But if you have a hard budget limit of <$100, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better overall portable scope+DMM for the price than the 703S, even at MSRP. Especially at the $72 I paid for it, for a 50Mhz scope, it is a very good deal -- that's only a few dollars more than what the 702S still sells far. With the 703S now at 5x the bandwidth, 6x the sample rate, plus a second channel for only $10-$15 more -- assuming they didn't break anything -- it's a great deal, actually.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 03:45:16 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2023, 04:01:20 pm »
The ZT-703S indeed seems to be much better bargain than the ZT-702S. I wonder how they solved the mechanical trouble with the oscilloscope input. I have enough problems with the recessed BNC jack on my ZT-702S, as it is hard to twist any BNC connector to its jack to lock it. I can only wonder how it is with two channels. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ahakman

• Regular Contributor
I bought both a HDS2202S and the ZT703S, in case the ZT703S wasn't going to ship for a while - it will be interesting to compare them. Reading the forum threads on both of them (or the ZT702S), they both have some firmware issues / easy improvements that could be made.

I consider both of them "use it where you don't want to take the >$1000 Keysight scope - up a ladder, in the rain, when traveling, in the back of old greasy CNC machine control cabinets, etc etc.
There's just a lot of situations where you need more than a DMM, but don't want to risk a fancy expensive scope.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
I bought both a HDS2202S and the ZT703S, in case the ZT703S wasn't going to ship for a while - it will be interesting to compare them. Reading the forum threads on both of them (or the ZT702S), they both have some firmware issues / easy improvements that could be made.

I consider both of them "use it where you don't want to take the >$1000 Keysight scope - up a ladder, in the rain, when traveling, in the back of old greasy CNC machine control cabinets, etc etc.
There's just a lot of situations where you need more than a DMM, but don't want to risk a fancy expensive scope.

As I pointed out above, the Owon HDS is in a differently class altogether from the Zoyi. It's like comparing Siglent to Hantek or FNIRSI. But that should also be evident from the price difference of 3-4x. Further to your point, I'll take the Zoyi where I wouldn't want to risk the Owon.

However for $70-$80, the Zoyi certainly performs well enough and definitely earns its place near the top of the "cheap" portable scope list. I expect were I to ever kill the 702S/703S, I'd be buying a replacement.

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: ddrl46, rsjsouza, Markus2801A

Offline Altair8800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2023, 08:24:28 am »
OK, I had a little trouble getting the pictures from the forum board tunk referred to, but eventually was able to get them.  I was curious how close or how different between models ZT-703S and the older ZT-702S.

There is blog site from a Kerry D Wong that goes into details what he could find on the ZT-702S
Source: http://www.kerrywong.com/2023/05/26/teardown-pictures-of-a-zotek-zoyi-zt-702s-handheld-oscilloscope/

I merge the picks to see a better side-by-side comparison what has changed.

1962699-0

1962705-1

Online ddrl46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2023, 01:08:55 pm »
Mine arrived a bit earlier than expected, attached are some higher resolution teardown photos.

Few things I noticed:
- It doesn't appear to be possible to disable the awful beep when switching functions
- Large amount of trigger jitter on non-repetitive waveforms, such as a calibration time-marker signal of 2us/div or higher.
- No mean voltage measurement function
- The bayonet of multiple BNC connectors I tried wasn't able to be rotated all the way into the locked position

High resolution images here: https://imgur.com/a/c2Oi1iY
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:12:15 pm by ddrl46 »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, geb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf