Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions  (Read 73448 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Rigol MSO5000. Tests, bugs, questions
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2021, 05:05:43 pm »
I've had the MSO5074 out on the bench again for a couple of weeks.

I noticed that one of the probes PVP2350 had become a bit intermittent, but if I jiggled it about a bit I could get it to behave.

Today, it's completely failed in 10:1 mode: it looks like the series 9Mohm resistor has failed, as it responds to transitions but there's no DC.

Scope channels themselves are fine.

Is there a secret to taking these probes apart, or are they completely sealed?

This unit's only seen a few days of use, and it sits in a Rigol carry case when not in use with a front panel cover. There's only me uses it too, so I know it's not been mishandled (other than by me!).

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2021, 08:12:06 pm »
Tautech  :-/O

Offline jundar

« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2022, 02:51:45 am »
I see it is an old post but maybe someone still can take a look at the photo. Is it some bug in firmware?
The probe are on x1 and all settings are the same expect the 50mV/div vs 51mV/div. Thanks much for any response!!

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2022, 05:11:52 am »
Not a bug. It's probably switching to a different front-end attenuation/amplifier range when it goes to 50mV.

If that's the case then 51nV will be at the outside limit of the previous range.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, jundar

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2022, 06:24:06 am »
I see it is an old post but maybe someone still can take a look at the photo. Is it some bug in firmware?
The probe are on x1 and all settings are the same expect the 50mV/div vs 51mV/div. Thanks much for any response!!
If I'm not mistaken, he can choose from round values 1, 2, 5V .... And he can also set a fractional gain per cell. I don't know how it's implemented. But this is not a mistake. This is a feature.

The following users thanked this post: jundar

Offline jundar

« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2022, 02:11:37 pm »
Thank you all for reply.
 It should be mentioned, such behavior is observed using x1 probe only and does not show using probe set at x10. 

Offline cebrax

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2022, 05:46:36 am »
Hello everybody,

I used to have NoiseFilter in my Tektronix MSO2024 scope that goes down under 100 Hz. That is a VERY FAST software low pass filter that helped me a lot! For example I could convert my 5 kHz sine PWM to a real analog sine signal easily..

Is there such an option for MSO5000 other than slow MATH functions?

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2022, 08:26:30 am »
Is there such an option for MSO5000 other than slow MATH functions?

Only: math filter: low-pass filter, high-pass filter, band-pass filter, and band-stop filter

Have you tried their work? Do they work fast enough for me?

Offline vicki20july

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2022, 09:40:45 pm »
Hello everybody

My apology if this is slightly off topic but I think it is still relevant to the MSO5000 tests, bugs, questions. I have been looking to buy my very first oscilloscope and I narrowed my selections down to either Siglent SDS2104X Plus or Rigol MSO5074. As of today, I can buy a new MSO5074 for $1215 CAD (taxes + shipping included) and the SDS2104X Plus for $2055 CAD (taxes + shipping included). I was very close to buying the Siglent but at the current price point, as of today’s pricing, the Rigol is approx. $840 CAD cheaper, and similar if not better spec-wise. This is a significant price difference. I have watched several review videos and have read through several threads about the two and I am finally on the verge of buying the MSO5074.

I have few questions about the MSO5074 that I would like to ask. Based on original review video from Dave and comparison video on YouTube between the two scopes by a user named “Nezbrun” in 2020, and several other bug reports in forums, I am wondering
1.   If the firmware updates have solved most of the initial bugs and UI responsiveness issues, since it has been more than 3 years.
2.   Are there are any major/minor remaining bugs that still needs to be addressed and I should be aware of prior to purchase. Please let me know.

Next, more importantly, since this will be my very first oscilloscope for casual / hobby use. I will be learning it while using it. Even though, I have engineering background, I don’t have much hands-on experience with using oscilloscopes before, I would like to ask

3.   Once I receive the Oscilloscope, is there a list of some common / basic tests that I can do to verify the proper functionality of the oscilloscope upon receiving. If possible, please highlight some basic / quick tests that I can do to verify this. For peace of mind, I would like to ensure that the Oscilloscope I received is functioning as intended and does not have any hardware related issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you  :)

The following users thanked this post: armandine2

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician

Offline vicki20july

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2022, 10:09:30 pm »
Hi Martin

Thank you very much for the post and your experience. It is very informative.

What about the 200 Mhz probes if i upgrade the Siglent to 500 MHz. Would they still hold or I would need to buy new more expensive ones above 200 Mhz measurements. I believe the MSO5074 comes with 350 MHz probes. Does this make any meaningful realistic difference in performance, comparison wise.

Also what is your opinion on the 8Ga/s vs. 2Ga/s. Is this really a limitation for Siglent when put to real world use or compared against MSO5000.

Thank you

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2022, 10:39:34 pm »
Hi,

Your questions would fit better in the thread I´ve posted before...
Nevertheless:
All depends on what your needs are..
At work we got some elder lecroy scopes which are having max. 1GSa/s  and 500Mhz bandwith and we aren´t having any problems with it at all.
Because our needings won´t reach the "spheres" where this could make a difference.
Same by me in private.
Same what the probes concerns.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2022, 10:59:37 pm »
Also what is your opinion on the 8Ga/s vs. 2Ga/s. Is this really a limitation for Siglent when put to real world use or compared against MSO5000.
AFAIK all 4 channels in MSO5000 are processed by one ASIC which sampling rate gets divided down by the # of channels active.
SDS2000X Plus has two, yes two 2GSa/s ADC's so if an input is assigned to each ADC the max sampling rate in unaffected.
Therefore with 4ch active sampling rate is 1GSa/s, sufficient to meet Nyquist at 350 MHz but not at 500 MHz where the SW dictates it to be a 500 MHz 2ch DSO or if 4ch must be used restricts capability to 350 MHz.
On each active channel tab this info is displayed for the user to be fully informed of how the scopes is configured.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vicki20july

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2022, 12:31:22 am »
ok thank you both of you for the info. Now you guys got me thinking about the Siglent again. Will make my decision in next couple of days. Can anyone please answer my point no. 3 above. Repeated here.

"Is there a list of some common / basic tests that I can do to verify the proper functionality of the oscilloscope upon receiving. If possible, please highlight some basic / quick tests that I can do to verify this. For peace of mind, I would like to ensure that the Oscilloscope I received is functioning as intended and does not have any hardware related issues. Any help is greatly appreciated."

Thank you All

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2022, 01:09:47 am »
Still i like the mso5000 and I never get tired about to tell how good it is for it´s price.
But if you can spend appx 400 bucks more there is, in my opinion, no alternative to the sds2k+.

It's not $400 more at the moment, but... that about sums it up. You could stop reading there.

AFAIK all 4 channels in MSO5000 are processed by one ASIC which sampling rate gets divided down by the # of channels active.
SDS2000X Plus has two, yes two 2GSa/s ADC's so if an input is assigned to each ADC the max sampling rate in unaffected.

It never has more than half of the Rigol.

You can use the extra sample rate on the Rigol reduce noise by oversampling. This is a new feature added in a firmware update (it happens!) so it makes all older threads that discuss noise less valid.

It won't ever be as good as the Siglent, noise-wise, but how much the noise affects you depends on what type of signals you''re looking at. If the signal can be made as big as the screen then it makes no real difference. It's only a problem when the signal is tiny compared to the screen.

TLDR; If you mostly work on digital signals then don't worry.

People will go on and on about "power supply ripple" but some people might say that if ripple is too small to see on an MSO5000 then it's not really worth worrying about.

The Siglent is obviously better, but ... it's 70% more money right now. If that's a lot of money to you then take a moment to think what else you could spend that money on.

ok thank you both of you for the info. Now you guys got me thinking about the Siglent again. Will make my decision in next couple of days. Can anyone please answer my point no. 3 above. Repeated here.

"Is there a list of some common / basic tests that I can do to verify the proper functionality of the oscilloscope upon receiving. If possible, please highlight some basic / quick tests that I can do to verify this. For peace of mind, I would like to ensure that the Oscilloscope I received is functioning as intended and does not have any hardware related issues. Any help is greatly appreciated."

Power it on.
Run self-cal, see if it finishes.
Connect all 4 probes to the test signal, see if it's there.
Switch between DC and AC coupling on each channel.
Turn the vertical up and down and listen for relays clicking (I think they both have relays, right? Correct me if I'm wrong)
Press all the buttons, twist all the knobs.

The following users thanked this post: oldjackbob

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2022, 01:13:29 am »
My apology if this is slightly off topic but I think it is still relevant to the MSO5000 tests, bugs, questions. I have been looking to buy my very first oscilloscope...............

3.   Once I receive the Oscilloscope, is there a list of some common / basic tests that I can do to verify the proper functionality of the oscilloscope upon receiving. If possible, please highlight some basic / quick tests that I can do to verify this. For peace of mind, I would like to ensure that the Oscilloscope I received is functioning as intended and does not have any hardware related issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your very first scope and respectively may I ask what qualifications and equipment you might have to put a modern oscilloscope through its paces ?

Then consider all are built to a design brief yet the model you buy may not be the top model is that series and instead a lesser model with its capabilities restricted by SW, however even when this is the case BW traditionally exceeds that stated on the label, normally by 10-20% but sometimes to a substantial degree as I discovered when checking the -3dB BW of the very first SDS2104X Plus we received that instead of a little above the 100 MHz label as one would expect it was actually ~185 MHz !
So astonished I was I checked it again with 2 further signal sources before posting about it here a couple years back.

Then if we are to check amplitude accuracy, how ?
Scopes typically offer +3% vertical accuracy which is not a particularly challenging specification however it is typically over their entire frequency and attenuation range, and not just a DC value.
When you could maybe use a AWG but then how do we know its output is level over its frequency range which perfectly demonstrates this stuff gets hard.....and fast !

Good luck with your decisions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2022, 01:25:55 am »
Therefore with 4ch active sampling rate is 1GSa/s, sufficient to meet Nyquist at 350 MHz but not at 500 MHz where the SW dictates it to be a 500 MHz 2ch DSO or if 4ch must be used restricts capability to 350 MHz.

Does it have a 350Mhz low pass filter in the front end or is it up to the user to understand why the displayed signal is wrong?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2022, 02:07:01 am »

Does it have a 350Mhz low pass filter in the front end or is it up to the user to understand why the displayed signal is wrong?
As written that you chose to delete:
On each active channel tab this info is displayed for the user to be fully informed of how the scopes is configured.

As you should know BW capability is controlled in the analogue section of the input and normally in the same IC that provides 20 MHz limiting which notification also appears in the channel tab when it's engaged.
So this IC controls label BW and depending on how it's SW controlled the signal pass integrity and user indication of what the scope is actually doing so the user can decide how best to use it.

For SDS2000X Plus channel tab BW indications are as follows:
Full = Max label stated BW for the model
350 = 500 MHz model with 2 active channels on either ADC. (auto BW limit to meet Nyquist)
100 = 10 bit mode engaged.
20 = BW limiter engaged.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline vicki20july

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2022, 02:24:13 am »

You can use the extra sample rate on the Rigol reduce noise by oversampling. This is a new feature added in a firmware update (it happens!) so it makes all older threads that discuss noise less valid.

Thank you all for the replies. Just wondering, Fungus is it there any video showing this functionality / improvement or is it documented anywhere. Is it a respectable improvement.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2022, 09:42:04 am »

Thank you all for the replies. Just wondering, Fungus is it there any video showing this functionality / improvement or is it documented anywhere. Is it a respectable improvement.

It's called "high res" mode.

nb. The video also shows also color grading mode which can use "averaging" mode to highlight the true signal inside the noise by averaging various waveforms together.

If you mess around using the two techniques you can probably find what you're looking for.

Siglent owners will counter that they don't need to "mess around", which is true. Again: It all comes  down to what you're going to be using your 'scope for. FUD is an easy thing to spread here.

Difference between high res and averaging:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:07:17 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: oldjackbob

Offline vicki20july

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2022, 11:16:45 am »
 :-+

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2022, 12:02:01 pm »

It's called "high res" mode.

nb. The video also shows also color grading mode which can use "averaging" mode to highlight the true signal inside the noise by averaging various waveforms together.

If you mess around using the two techniques you can probably find what you're looking for.

Siglent owners will counter that they don't need to "mess around", which is true. Again: It all comes  down to what you're going to be using your 'scope for. FUD is an easy thing to spread here.

Difference between high res and averaging:

C'mon Fungus, we had lengthy discussions (plural) about that first Rigol video and Hires mode in general.

First, that first video from Rigol is wrong and misleading. They abused fact that Rigol MSO5000 has better overdrive recovery than RTB2000 (which is a shame they didn't point that out because it is very important parameter), but choose to fake less noise by using that. Also it is pointless anyways, because despite better recovery it still distorts signal so it is not to be trusted anyways.  Also it is misleading (and wrong) changing vertical sensitivity and offset and call that "zoom". Zoom is just that: graphic zoom on the screen without messing with input channel settings, but that is not so useful for 8 bit scopes as for scopes with higher resolution.

As for Hires, it IS NOT replacement, fix, or solution for high noise in input channel of the scope. Hires uses filter that filters high frequencies out. That way it filters out noise energy in those high frequencies, leaving just low frequency noise. Which makes residual noise smaller and only fraction of full range noise.It does that by using Hires to make a 350 MHz scope a 50Mhz or 20Mhz or 500kHz scope, depending on how much bits of Hires you apply. If you only do audio range, that might not matter to you. For everything else it is a problem. Because of this it is very important that user have control of how much Hires is applied, because that defines lowpass filtering effect.

That is one problem. Other is: other scopes, including ones with much better frontends, have their own version of Hires..
And some scopes have less noise than MSO5000 with Hires, even when working full range 500MHz. Just think how low noise those get when you apply Hires on those...

A note: we also had many (some heated) discussions of how important the scope noise is in general. A short version is that it is very important if you work on devices that need low noise measurements. If you only work on stuff that is digital level and you generally only need to look at general waveforms etc, it might not be important. It is up to user and user's work. But if low noise measurements are needed, there is no trick or fix to an noisy instrument.  Only solution is a low noise instrument (scope).

Just making facts straight.

Best,

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Martin72

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2022, 12:56:16 pm »
C'mon Fungus, we had lengthy discussions (plural) about that first Rigol video and Hires mode in general.

First, that first video from Rigol is wrong and misleading. They abused fact that Rigol MSO5000 has better overdrive recovery than RTB2000 (which is a shame they didn't point that out because it is very important parameter), but choose to fake less noise by using that. Also it is pointless anyways, because despite better recovery it still distorts signal so it is not to be trusted anyways.

I didn't post if because of that. I posted it because there's a clear moment where hires mode is turned on and yu see the difference. The color mode is also interesting/useful and it's shown clearly.

As for Hires, it IS NOT replacement, fix, or solution for high noise in input channel of the scope.

I specifically said that it wasn't, but it does help.

Hires uses filter that filters high frequencies out. That way it filters out noise energy in those high frequencies, leaving just low frequency noise. Which makes residual noise smaller and only fraction of full range noise. It does that by using Hires to make a 350 MHz scope a 50Mhz or 20Mhz or 500kHz scope, depending on how much bits of Hires you apply.

Huh? If you're sampling at 8GHz then you have multiple samples within each 350MHz time period. Averaging them won't make the bandwidth less then 350Mhz, it simply reduces the noise inherent in the ADC process.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2022, 01:51:08 pm »
.... using Hires to make a 350 MHz scope a 50Mhz or 20Mhz or 500kHz scope, depending on how much bits of Hires you apply.

In practical terms: That's what you're supposed to do. Whenever you're measuring power supply ripple (or whatever) you're supposed to use 1x probes and limit the bandwidth to 20Mhz.

Speaking of practicality; There's also the fact that looking at 350Mhz signals is something you only do with 50 Ohm cables, etc. If you're poking at circuits with probes then it simply isn't going to happen, you'll be lucky to be seeing anything over 100Mhz. 16x oversampling with pokey probes is probably going to show you something a lot closer to the truth than leaving it at full bandwidth.

So again, the "depends on how you're planning to use it" clause comes into play. I'm not doubting the noise is better on a Siglent, I'm pointing out that in practical terms, it's not as big a deal as it might sound.

(Yes, you have to fiddle around optimizing the amount of samples...but most people will only do it on edge cases, not all the time)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2022, 08:21:17 pm »

First, that first video from Rigol is wrong and misleading. They abused fact that Rigol MSO5000 has better overdrive recovery than RTB2000 (which is a shame they didn't point that out because it is very important parameter), but choose to fake less noise by using that. Also it is pointless anyways, because despite better recovery it still distorts signal so it is not to be trusted anyways.

I didn't post if because of that. I posted it because there's a clear moment where hires mode is turned on and yu see the difference. The color mode is also interesting/useful and it's shown clearly.

As for Hires, it IS NOT replacement, fix, or solution for high noise in input channel of the scope.

I specifically said that it wasn't, but it does help.

Hires uses filter that filters high frequencies out. That way it filters out noise energy in those high frequencies, leaving just low frequency noise. Which makes residual noise smaller and only fraction of full range noise. It does that by using Hires to make a 350 MHz scope a 50Mhz or 20Mhz or 500kHz scope, depending on how much bits of Hires you apply.

Huh? If you're sampling at 8GHz then you have multiple samples within each 350MHz time period. Averaging them won't make the bandwidth less then 350Mhz, it simply reduces the noise inherent in the ADC process.

Hires is not averaging. Averaging is useful only for repetitive, low phase noise (low jitter) signals.
Hires is lowpass filtering.

Single channel calculations (for 2 ch divide by2, for 3 and 4 channels divide by 4)
For 1 bit improvement BW is 0,238 (1/4) of original Nyquist (8GS sample rate, 4GHz Nyquist  effective 1GHz 1 h/250MHz 4ch).
For 2 bit improvement BW is 0,0625 (1/16) of original Nyquist (8GS sample rate, 4GHz Nyquist  effective 250MHz 1ch/62.5MHz 4ch).

2 bit improvement is roughly what MSO5000 need to show similar RMS of noise to RTB2000 or SDS2000X+.

For 3 bit improvement BW is 0,0625 (1/64) of original Nyquist (8GS sample rate, 4GHz Nyquist  effective 15.625MHz 1ch/3,9MHz 4ch).

So you could say that 1 bit improvement would be transparent , like you say. But not more, and since it has much more noise to begin with, it is not enough.

In practical terms, you DO NOT filter signal unless you want to do that deliberately because you only want to look at partial signal. Or shall I say, I was always missing MORE bandwidth not less.
Or I could just say your are right. It doesn't matter, and we should all just stop using any scopes with more than 20 MHz BW because it is all just some unwanted interference we don't care about anyways.
And I'm fine with your characterisation that if run lowpass filtered it is a fine normal noise scope. Except Rigol should be selling it as a 50 or 20 MHz scope because that how it's going to get used.

MSO5000 is good scope for the price. It has a noisy front end, but has many features that make it useful instrument. That is despite the fact that is a bit noisy, not because noise is irrelevant. It is not unusable, but its noise figures are not good. If that is important for user, then it is.
Like I said.
I know you are trying to simplify it for a beginner, but you can't. One of the biggest problems of the beginners is not lack of answers but a lack of good questions. They simply cannot formulate their needs because they don't have enough data and knowledge.

That is why, for beginners, I tend to recommend some of the simpler, cheaper scopes. Today's entry level scopes like the SDS1104X-E or equivalents can carry a beginner for many years. Heck, they can do for a professional for most routine tasks... After many years, if they keep the hobby, they will know where to go from there... They are also easier to learn how to use, where we see that even professionals coming from CRT analog scopes need quite some time to learn how to use digital scope to its full extent.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf