Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 297430 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #1775 on: December 20, 2023, 11:35:24 pm »
Sure, we don't know whether Rigol will take this step. Compared to the MSO5000 hackability, DHO users are already kept on a much tighter leash.

You mean like having ADB access enabled by default?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1776 on: December 20, 2023, 11:37:14 pm »
Done..
Pro: Hack remains, still having 50Mpts and (official) 100Mhz BW.
Con: Offset... :(
I´ll try the selfcal next evening.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: December 20, 2023, 11:49:44 pm »
Sure, we don't know whether Rigol will take this step. Compared to the MSO5000 hackability, DHO users are already kept on a much tighter leash.

You mean like having ADB access enabled by default?

No, I mean the fact that they have now split the model tiers into separate product families (DHO800 vs. 900, DHO1000 vs. 4000). Where some of the higher-end options are not available to the lower-end family at all via entering a simple license key -- whether purchased or self-generated.

And I mean the presence of actual hardware differences between these families, so some functionality cannot be "unlocked" even via more advanced software hacking. A stark contrast to the MSO5000 approach, where everything is physically pre-installed even in the lowest-end model -- to the point of selling a "two-channel" version with four physical input channels.

I guess you are well aware of all this and just felt the need to ask a defiant question?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1778 on: December 21, 2023, 12:03:47 am »
Within the limits of the hardware that I paid for, there's nothing locked down.

My DHO804 would probably have been more expensive if it had the AWG built in.

Offline PELL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: December 21, 2023, 03:03:03 am »
The Utility icon on my DHO804 had an indicator on it this morning.

Made me curious, just turned it on and...Bingo, same here.
Should I proceed..Ah, nevermind, I´ll take the risk...
More to come after this.

I also did the online update and tried to grab the GEL files it download. Unfortunately, I can't find where it was stored during the process.

I am curious what is the difference compared to the 1.02 firmware that released back in November (which was taken down after only 1 day)

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1780 on: December 21, 2023, 12:17:48 pm »
It's strange why some people receive updates, but there are none on the sites. I don't get the DHO802.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1781 on: December 21, 2023, 12:25:44 pm »
It's strange why some people receive updates, but there are none on the sites. I don't get the DHO802.

Just give Rigol a few weeks... Keeping the firmware download sections on their various international sites updated and consistent has never been their strongest suit.

The following users thanked this post: enson72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1782 on: December 21, 2023, 07:49:49 pm »
Done..
Pro: Hack remains, still having 50Mpts and (official) 100Mhz BW.
Con: Offset... :(
I´ll try the selfcal next evening.

What can I say, a complete success. ;)
Flawless calibration, so it's clear that it's not the same firmware as the one that was briefly available.
Because with that one I not only had the offset, but also the fail status during calibration.
And as mentioned, the two hacks are not affected, so you can install it with confidence.
I'll have a look over the next few days to see if rigol has fixed more than stated.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Offline zrq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1783 on: December 21, 2023, 08:42:48 pm »
Somehow my DHO914S don't get any update tonight... I have a Windows machine as the gateway between the scope and Internet, and I quickly Wiresharked it. Apparently the HTTP GET URL for update is

Code: [Select]
support.rigol.com/api/Support/ProductUpgradeFile?sn=DHO9S2511111&hardware=1.0&behaviour=soft&software=00.01.01 (the SN should be replaced with the real value)

Somehow the returned XML file I requested have no information about an update, but only an error message: 未查询到序列号的生产信息 (Serial number's production information is not found). Tried the same with a serial number in someone's earlier post in this thread, but still the same error. Weird.

The following users thanked this post: bulba99, PELL

Offline zrq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1784 on: December 21, 2023, 08:56:26 pm »
This request is transmitted in clear text instead of HTTPS, which can lead to a significant security problem in case you are on a less trusted network if the following firmware package is also transmitted in clear text. As there is no signature check for the GEL files (good for hackers, please keep it Rigol), an adversary may do a DNS hijack and gain arbitrary code execution access to your scope.
Also, as you should have realized, exposing the scope which have the adb port open, to the public internet without a NAT is also extremely dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 09:03:07 pm by zrq »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, rpro

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: December 21, 2023, 09:29:39 pm »
Also, as you should have realized, exposing the scope which have the adb port open, to the public internet without a NAT is also extremely dangerous.
Couldn't agree more. That is why I have my bench devices connected to a router that is permanently kept off the Internet.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1786 on: December 21, 2023, 10:33:17 pm »
This request is transmitted in clear text instead of HTTPS, which can lead to a significant security problem in case you are on a less trusted network if the following firmware package is also transmitted in clear text. As there is no signature check for the GEL files (good for hackers, please keep it Rigol), an adversary may do a DNS hijack and gain arbitrary code execution access to your scope.

Makes you wonder about all these accessible 55555's

https://www.shodan.io/search?query=55555

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1787 on: December 21, 2023, 11:05:24 pm »
The Utility icon on my DHO804 had an indicator on it this morning. (The scope is hooked up to wifi.) When I went into the Utility menu, it indicated that a firmware update was available. I clicked on an update button, and it installed version 01.01.02. It rebooted, and I validated that the new version was installed. The build date, per Utility->About, is 2023/11/09 17:35:40.

On the one hand I am pleased that the network update actually works (and that the "Utility/Update" menu entry is not just a misdirection for all who actually want to update via USB).

On the other hand, it makes me a bit nervous that oscilloscopes now also "phone home" to the manufacturer. That opens up new possibilities to detect or disable hacked licenses, if Rigol so desires. I think I will configure my firewall appropriately before connecting my new DHO1xx4 to the home network, and am happy to take the USB detour for firmware updates...
Phone home? A device made in and coded in china, gonna phone home?
It can try, but it won't get far on my net.
All the stuff not allowed to get past the local subnet is in 10 space with no gateway and no DNS, running on either it's own wifi AP or cat5 to small switch.
Other "IoT" stuff that I allow to web (tv, AVR, cameras), connects wifi to a dmz zone on it's own 192.168/24 space.
And my normal stuff (small # of items) connect to LAN side of a firewall device in it's own 192.168/24 space.
No traffic can cross between the zones.

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline bulba99

• Contributor
« Reply #1788 on: December 22, 2023, 11:09:02 am »
Tried the same with a serial number in someone's earlier post in this thread, but still the same error. Weird.

For another SN it works fine.
Content of the received XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<meta>
  <firmware>
    <series>DHO800</series>
    <version>00.01.02.00.00</version>
    <url>http://spiderapi.rigol.com/api/Support/ProductUpgradePackage?sn=DHO8A25xxxxxxx</url>
    <comment_cn>DHO800_DHO900_Update.GEL</comment_cn>
    <comment_en>DHO800_DHO900_Update.GEL</comment_en>
    <filesize>93330</filesize>
  </firmware>
</meta>

I don't know what to do with the line:
<comment_en>DHO800_DHO900_Update.GEL</comment_en>
to read the comment. Maybe it's just information about the name of the downloaded file, not the release notes?  :-//

The file received via OTA differs from the one previously available in the Sparrow.apk file only.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:18:10 pm by bulba99 »

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1789 on: December 22, 2023, 03:42:33 pm »
Today I received my DHO814 oscilloscope, ordered on November 30th. Firmware version 00.01.01. Changing the vendor.bin file on DHO924 using the utility https://github.com/zelea2/rigol_vendor_bin resulted in an offset on the channels that is not removed by calibration. The oscilloscope is connected to the network, but does not find any firmware updates :)
Somehow the returned XML file I requested have no information about an update, but only an error message: 未查询到序列号的生产信息 (Serial number's production information is not found). Tried the same with a serial number in someone's earlier post in this thread, but still the same error. Weird.
I tried your example query and got the same result. And I also discovered a strange thing. I tried to check my oscilloscope for support status on the Rigol website - https://www.rigol.eu/services/warranty-period.html . And this is the response I received on the verification page:
Your serial number:DHO8A25xxxxxxx
Model:DHO814
Start time:2024/3/28
End time:2027/3/28
That is, it turns out that my oscilloscope will only be under warranty in three months. In the meantime, it seems like it hasn’t been sold.

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: December 22, 2023, 04:21:34 pm »
I have a similar situation. I bought from the Chinese.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1791 on: December 22, 2023, 04:37:52 pm »
I tried manually calling the URL using my DHO1074 serial with a specified firmware version 2.11 (I'm running 2.12) to see if it would offer me the upgrade.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<meta>
   <firmware>
     <result>The latest software version was not found</result>
   </firmware>
</meta>

It didn't fuss about the DHO1000 series query or even throw an error like others have seen, but it didn't find the newer 2.12 firmware either. I may run a Wireshark capture on it to see if it's even looking for updates at all yet, or are they planning that for a future FW release.

And I also discovered a strange thing. I tried to check my oscilloscope for support status on the Rigol website - https://www.rigol.eu/services/warranty-period.html . And this is the response I received on the verification page:

Interesting. The Rigol NA page doesn't have a warranty lookup that I can find, and the EU page doesn't work with NA serial numbers apparently (at least not with my DHO1074 serial). It returns an "invalid serial number" error.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:39:55 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1792 on: December 22, 2023, 04:40:20 pm »
The file received via OTA differs from the one previously available in the Sparrow.apk file only.
Could you post the file received via OTA?

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1793 on: December 22, 2023, 05:02:43 pm »
Interesting. The Rigol NA page doesn't have a warranty lookup that I can find, and the EU page doesn't work with NA serial numbers apparently (at least not with my DHO1074 serial). It returns an "invalid serial number" error.
Yes, this is not entirely clear. I tried to check the serial numbers that I found in videos on YouTube, and some show “Invalid number” on both the European version of the site and the Chinese one.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1794 on: December 22, 2023, 05:30:28 pm »
Yes, this is not entirely clear. I tried to check the serial numbers that I found in videos on YouTube, and some show “Invalid number” on both the European version of the site and the Chinese one.
Most likley if the owner does not register the device, then perhaps the serial never gets into their system?

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: December 22, 2023, 05:35:35 pm »
Most likley if the owner does not register the device, then perhaps the serial never gets into their system?
Yes, I also had this assumption. I tried to find how to register my device, but I couldn’t find it on either the European or Chinese versions of the site.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1796 on: December 22, 2023, 05:59:28 pm »
Yes, I also had this assumption. I tried to find how to register my device, but I couldn’t find it on either the European or Chinese versions of the site.
Well, you can play tricks with them and see what happens.
Notice DHO1000 Series is in the list? Use F12 in Firefox and just edit the options.  ;D
Or select "OTHER".

https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/form/1579/0002:d-0001/1/index.htm

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1797 on: December 22, 2023, 06:58:42 pm »
Notice DHO1000 Series is in the list? Use F12 in Firefox and just edit the options.  ;D
Or select "OTHER".

I think I've registered.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1798 on: December 22, 2023, 09:00:07 pm »
Or select "OTHER".

Well, yes, I saw this registration form for NA, but I doubted it - I’m on a different continent altogether :) And the European and Chinese sites do not offer device registration.
I’ll try to register it too, I think it won’t be any worse :)

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: December 22, 2023, 09:30:31 pm »
Or select "OTHER".

Well, yes, I saw this registration form for NA, but I doubted it - I’m on a different continent altogether :) And the European and Chinese sites do not offer device registration.
I’ll try to register it too, I think it won’t be any worse :)
Is it just a NA reg page though?
The return page after reg shows info on contacting Rigol worldwide.
My guess is it takes in whatever data you wish to put in there. I wonder if it's just going to someones email box, because if you select "OTHER" then someone needs to read what you write in the box, unless AI is doing it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf