Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 844957 times)

Offline famalex

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4500 on: May 25, 2024, 12:56:38 am »
In general, I was not very pleased with the quality of the components in the power board.

Well...
A "nice" power supply unit costs money.
You can install it, but then the scope can no longer cost the money it costs.
We manufacture power supplies for submarine and aviation applications, with corresponding quality criteria down to component level.
For me, anything less is just garbage. ;)
As always, everything is relative from a certain point of view.
This oscilloscope will definitely not fly into space and will not sink to the bottom of the sea. So we will have to come to terms with the quality of the components.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 01:51:14 am by famalex »

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4501 on: May 25, 2024, 04:10:54 am »
So we will have to come to terms with the quality of the components.  :)
:-//
Of the several 100's of Siglent units we have sold with SMPS, they have proven to be very reliable with a failure rate in the low decimal points of 1%.

It is interesting your failure did not blow the fuse and you did not attempt to claim warranty.  :-//
Anyways, we have you sorted for now and as this PSU cap failure is now well documented  :-+ any possible issues with a warranty claim can be pointed to your earlier posts.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 08:26:23 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: famalex

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4502 on: May 25, 2024, 04:31:39 am »
What does this even mean?  Are you suggesting instruments from Tek, Agilent or R&S somehow transcend the quality of their constituent components?  Or are you implying that Siglent build their products from random garbage harvested from the gutters of Shenzhen?

Well, we have to hope the world can eventually come up to the standards of all those excellent Greek scopes .. or maybe olive oil. :palm:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 04:34:41 am by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4503 on: May 25, 2024, 06:03:34 am »
In general, I was not very pleased with the quality of the components in the power board.

Well...
A "nice" power supply unit costs money.
You can install it, but then the scope can no longer cost the money it costs.
We manufacture power supplies for submarine and aviation applications, with corresponding quality criteria down to component level.
For me, anything less is just garbage. ;)
As always, everything is relative from a certain point of view.
This oscilloscope will definitely not fly into space and will not sink to the bottom of the sea. So we will have to come to terms with the quality of the components.  :)

If by quality of components you are referring to that particular capacitor, make note that that capacitor usually burns like this in case of overvoltage events.
In case of thunderstorms and such, living in area where electricity is not distributed underground, for instance.

As for quality of components, Keysight has more problems on PSU units on some models than Rigol and Siglent combined.

Offline famalex

• Contributor
« Reply #4504 on: May 25, 2024, 04:33:09 pm »
:-//
Of the several 100's of Siglent units we have sold with SMPS, they have proven to be very reliable with a failure rate in the low decimal points of 1%.

It is interesting your failure did not blow the fuse and you did not attempt to claim warranty.  :-//
Anyways, we have you sorted for now and as this PSU cap failure is now well documented  :-+ any possible issues with a warranty claim can be pointed to your earlier posts.
This is my third scope and, in general, the fifth device from Siglent (by the way, I'm now intending to purchase an SDS3000HD). And, as a staunch supporter of this company, I've the right to grumble a little, but purely well-intentioned. :-+

Offline famalex

• Contributor
« Reply #4505 on: May 25, 2024, 04:45:39 pm »
What does this even mean?  Are you suggesting instruments from Tek, Agilent or R&S somehow transcend the quality of their constituent components?  Or are you implying that Siglent build their products from random garbage harvested from the gutters of Shenzhen?

Well, we have to hope the world can eventually come up to the standards of all those excellent Greek scopes .. or maybe olive oil. :palm:
You're absolutely right. Oscilloscopes don’t grow here at all, apparently the climate doesn’t allow it, but the olives are really cool. As far as I know, even olives don't grow in Canada.  ;D

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4506 on: May 25, 2024, 04:46:26 pm »

This is my third scope and, in general, the fifth device from Siglent (by the way, I'm now intending to purchase an SDS3000HD). And, as a staunch supporter of this company, I've the right to grumble a little, but purely well-intentioned. :-+

My friend, grumble all you need...
I just contributed data point that they are actually very reliable, same or better than A brands in pure hardware reliability.

And also to maybe warn you that you might look into power quality in your lab...
Best,

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4507 on: May 25, 2024, 04:59:37 pm »
As far as I know, even olives don't grow in Canada.  ;D
True, and neither do oscilloscopes.  Polar bears do though.   :-+

I can't afford Greek olive oil very often, but when I do I treat it like fine whiskey.  It's good stuff, but most of the time more expensive than 12 year old single malt.   :-//
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4508 on: May 27, 2024, 06:47:10 am »
The bug in the latest firmware turned out to be so serious and significant that the update has not yet appeared on the official Siglent websites. I wonder when they'll finish it?!

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4509 on: May 27, 2024, 07:47:18 am »
The bug in the latest firmware turned out to be so serious and significant that the update has not yet appeared on the official Siglent websites. I wonder when they'll finish it?!
It's sorted.
Requested release last week but ultimately not my call.

TBH it was only serious for those it affected, only a few.
I've loaded the beta version onto a few units and it all went sweet, as did the version that caused some owners problems.  :-//
The new version is said to create a log file should the upgrade go wrong which can be extracted and sent to Siglent for analysis.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4510 on: June 07, 2024, 01:31:05 pm »
Three weeks later, the new firmware has not yet been released. It's probably far from finished

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4511 on: June 07, 2024, 02:46:17 pm »
Three weeks later, the new firmware has not yet been released. It's probably far from finished

It's not easy to catch a bug that doesn't effect everybody. Only a few people were affected in the first place. I don't know what the status of the firmware is, but I think it's safe to assume that they want it to be safe.

If you're impatient to wait, you could see if somebody that has 1.6 is willing to share...at your own risk.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline jscm2000

• Contributor
« Reply #4512 on: June 09, 2024, 03:23:53 pm »
V1.6.2R1 The new firmware works on my 2074xp without any major issues,The new firmware has been removed from the official website, so I post it here for your reference.
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1x5_mSZVuhhSKFQYMSVkCQA
Extraction code:9999
or
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K2rC5ioc24z15y_3svmBfsHw_-6V9VOU/view
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 03:38:48 pm by jscm2000 »

Offline artik

« Reply #4513 on: June 09, 2024, 05:30:06 pm »
Thanks for the firmware but a lot of us cannot read Chinese, so we are unable to log in and download. Could you be so kind and post it on google drive or something more accessible please?

A.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4514 on: June 09, 2024, 06:29:03 pm »
I would rather wait until the firmware is officially available again.
It's not on fire...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline famalex

• Contributor
« Reply #4515 on: June 09, 2024, 11:09:15 pm »
I agree that it is better to wait for the official fixed update. But if you really can’t wait, then here it is in much more familiar English. It works fine for me now. True, after the first unsuccessful installation attempt, I had to restore the system.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K2rC5ioc24z15y_3svmBfsHw_-6V9VOU/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 11:29:45 pm by famalex »

The following users thanked this post: artik

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4516 on: June 10, 2024, 12:13:49 pm »
It's not on fire...

On fire: even the 1.6.2R4 do not have the yellow at the egg... so as always, how they deal with FW upgrades and testing is for me an opened book,
as the should IMHO work on a testing procedure. It looks rather as on low fire in addition as PNP  :palm:

So new FW gets the proof and new features gets new entries on the testing procedure manual & not new bugs seen/introduced to ordinary functionality ..  :palm:

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4517 on: June 10, 2024, 12:42:12 pm »
It's not on fire...

On fire: even the 1.6.2R4 do not have the yellow at the egg... so as always, how they deal with FW upgrades and testing is for me an opened book,
as the should IMHO work on a testing procedure. It looks rather as on low fire in addition as PNP  :palm:

So new FW gets the proof and new features gets new entries on the testing procedure manual & not new bugs seen/introduced to ordinary functionality ..  :palm:

1.6.2R4 ?

https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds2000x-plus

SDS2000X Plus Series_Firmware_V1.5.2R3 (Release Date 04.03.23 ) 

Offline famalex

• Contributor
« Reply #4518 on: June 14, 2024, 09:09:55 pm »
I fixed my oscilloscope.
The burnt capacitor in the power supply was replaced with a more robust MLCC 0.22uF 500V from Vishay. The problem with the power button was solved by simply cleaning the contacts. BTW, I replaced the built-in ADDA fan with a slightly less noisy one from Noctua (only with the “low noise adapter” that comes in the kit, otherwise it is at least equally noisy). But the main thing with this replacement was that I managed to get rid of the annoying high-frequency trill of the old fan, somewhat reminiscent of the sound of a cricket. I think (even sure) this sound did not come from mechanical parts, but from the operation of the brushless motor driver.
The hardest thing in this whole story was to peel off and then to put this sticker back on so as not to damage it, but I think I managed to do it pretty well.2289611-0
My scope has been working flawlessly for two weeks now.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, Mortymore, smallfreak, KungFuJosh, Martin72, Wrenches of Death

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf