Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14968466 times)

siggi and 132 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35500 on: July 24, 2019, 02:39:06 am »
$20! :o
Exactly what I thought too especially when the 1.2 pF 1 GHz active probe for my spanking new SDS5054X retails for $1k. All arrived today and don't even have time to unpack it and fondle it until later.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35501 on: July 24, 2019, 02:43:26 am »
I was just lucky or the market for used Lecroy probe is limited. Or a mix of both  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35502 on: July 24, 2019, 04:38:38 am »
   I was on the lookout for some good probes to go with my Lecroy scope.
Received those today (1Ghz, 1.8pF). They unfortunately did not comes with the accessories. But since I paid around 20$ each, I’m not going to complain  ^-^

and a !!!

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #35503 on: July 24, 2019, 05:32:37 am »
I'm done buying TE for a while, just picked up a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (because you need 400HP and 415 lb-ft AWD SUV to haul your bicycle around).  Well, at least until my next paycheck  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35504 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:53 am »
Damn... that thing's almost as ugly as Franken-Cruiser...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35505 on: July 24, 2019, 07:27:38 am »
As promised, here's a few pictures of the PM6603's innards.

And it sure isn't a Philips machine. They did not use Philips headed screws.

I almost fear to ask, but you are aware of
Philips ≠ Phillips?

I am. But somehow I was focused on not writing Philips with to 'l'. My bad.

Thanks for spotting it. I like being corrected (but not making faults in the first place). It is an opportunity to learn.
I'll be more careful in the future.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35506 on: July 24, 2019, 07:27:45 am »
I think that the same can said about most SUVs today, 2 box shape and slab sided.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #35507 on: July 24, 2019, 07:35:15 am »
I'm done buying TE for a while, just picked up a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (because you need 400HP and 415 lb-ft AWD SUV to haul your bicycle around).  Well, at least until my next paycheck  :palm:

Needs Bike Racks on Top Neon Body Wrap for improved tackiness and and appropriate Horn
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35508 on: July 24, 2019, 08:38:15 am »
I think TiN can be regarded as an expert for the 3456A. There's a long report on xDevs.com about a 3456A fix.

And I can take a look into my 3456A's. Probably not before Friday, though.
Reminds me that I still need a new transformer for my second one ...

Yes, I saw that thread at xdevs. But at first I did not realize the look of the correct crystal because I was distracted by this oscillator hack.  ::)  ;)

I've replaced yesterday the crystal with the correct one for 50Hz and the instrument is working fine.  :)

Thanks for the hint.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35509 on: July 24, 2019, 09:28:50 am »
I have quite a number of Philips manuals. Well over 400: GM, PE, PM.

Most service manuals.

Feel free to ask.

Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #35510 on: July 24, 2019, 12:11:07 pm »
Now for some nixie counter pron, I have spent the best part of a year finding a Burroughs B5560 'upside down' nixie to bring a 5221B back to full display. Also a bit of plastic diffuser replacement, counting an Agilent freq gen. 1MHz
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, mnementh, beanflying, nixiefreqq

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35511 on: July 24, 2019, 12:12:17 pm »
As many of you will aware, I went to Riat 2019 airshow on Sunday and if anyone is interested in seeing some of the 803 photos I took offer you some here are some links to a sample of them. As the weather was overcast with very little sun, I have not taken many flying photos as grey planes against a grey sky  is drab. Instead I positioned myself at the end of the runway for power checks or landing shots and also of course because most of the flying is these days so far from the viewers that lenses of 400mm and larger are required and I only have a 300mm :palm:

As per normal for this airshow, it takes a stupid amount of time queueing to get scanned and bags checked before being allowed into the show ground, I queued for just over an hour to move just 100yds to the entrance  :wtf:

The show was rammed on the Sunday and I'm told that it was far quieter than it was on the previous 2 days, and as a result of the extended delay in getting to the crowd line, I was prevented from getting some shots by those people in front of blocking my viewpoint..

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35512 on: July 24, 2019, 01:11:08 pm »
Thanks for this  :-+ - much better than my day out was  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35513 on: July 24, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »
Thanks for this  :-+ - much better than my day out was  :-DD
Have you dried out yet? The irony of it was that although it was a 3 day show, you chose the worst possible day for it but not a single day was what I'd call a good day for an air show, you need some nice sunlight to make the photos pop, especially military planes as nothing worse then grey planes in a grey sky, any camera is going to struggle to do anything good with those conditions.  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35514 on: July 24, 2019, 01:26:09 pm »
Not joking but my shoes only dried out yesterday finally  :-DD

I still haven't uploaded my photos yet. I will get to it tomorrow when it's hot.

Edit: random thing. Actually made a royer converter that worked at lunch today \o/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:53:18 pm by bd139 »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #35515 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:32 pm »

Needs Bike Racks on Top Neon Body Wrap for improved tackiness and and appropriate Horn

Yep, I have a two bike rack for the hitch and will add the roof cross bars and a pair of bike mounts up there as well.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35516 on: July 24, 2019, 03:59:21 pm »
I'm finally 100% moved into my new place...so exhausting even with movers paid for by work doing all the hard stuff.  :=\

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35517 on: July 24, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
Congratulations. I actually dread moving house at the moment.

Just managed to melt a toroid with the Royer converter I'm working on  :-- . These are 43 material which is probably wrong for SMPS design but it's all I've got on hand :(

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #35518 on: July 24, 2019, 06:48:32 pm »

I like it.  Seems like we have similar taste in SUV's.  Mine is a 2017 though.  I also like that they kept the look similar enough that it doesn't make mine look like an old model.

Mine has the 20 inch wheels with low profile tires, and I have about 24000 miles on it, and the tires are almost bald.  Guys at the dealer say the low profile tires wear out much faster.  Not sure why low profile tires would wear faster.  Maybe low sidewalls means they can't flex side to side as much in corners and that wears them out faster?

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35519 on: July 24, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »
As many of you will aware, I went to Riat 2019 airshow on Sunday and if anyone is interested in seeing some of the 803 photos I took offer you some here are some links to a sample of them. As the weather was overcast with very little sun, I have not taken many flying photos as grey planes against a grey sky  is drab. Instead I positioned myself at the end of the runway for power checks or landing shots and also of course because most of the flying is these days so far from the viewers that lenses of 400mm and larger are required and I only have a 300mm :palm:

As per normal for this airshow, it takes a stupid amount of time queueing to get scanned and bags checked before being allowed into the show ground, I queued for just over an hour to move just 100yds to the entrance  :wtf:

The show was rammed on the Sunday and I'm told that it was far quieter than it was on the previous 2 days, and as a result of the extended delay in getting to the crowd line, I was prevented from getting some shots by those people in front of blocking my viewpoint...

Thanks for bringing these, Spec... lots of awesome shots there. I've been meaning to share this; I've kept these in the back of my desk since my dad (USAF Retired/COBOL programmer) gave them to me as a teenager. we occasionally play a few hands when he visits, but for the most part just a keepsake. If you're wondering, the date on the box is Oct 1979. ;)

mnem
*back to the daily grind*

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35520 on: July 24, 2019, 06:54:13 pm »
I think it might be that low profile tyres actually have less depth of tread on them from new. It always seems to me that when you see tyres all racked up at the tyre shop that's the case, does anyone actually for certain if thats true or not?  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #35521 on: July 24, 2019, 07:13:17 pm »
Hmm...  Never thought that maybe low profile tires come with less tread.  But I could see that being the case.  I'm going to end up replacing them before winter comes around again, or maybe sooner.  Not looking forward to what that will cost.

On my old 2001 Explorer I just went to the Walmart tire shop and had them slap on the cheapest set of Goodyear Wrangler's for something like $380 for all four installed.  No way I'm getting tires for the 2017 for anything close to that price.   And I don't think I want the Walmart tire goons working on my new Explorer anyway.   :)

To add some TEA content:  Just spent like an hour taking apart old cheap alligator clip leads that came with the wire just folded over in the back of the clip, and soldering the wires to the clips so they aren't intermittent anymore.   I still have tabs open to mnem's old messages about the good test leads, but I haven't bought anything yet...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:15:56 pm by Carl_Smith »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35522 on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »
You also need to pay attention to the treadwear rating you're buying...a lot of low profile tires are also sportier and have softer compounds so they are grippy.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35523 on: July 24, 2019, 07:42:07 pm »
I received the frequency reference from nixiefreqq. Thanks pal!  :-+ :-+

Here it is connected to the 7904 with the 7260 in tow. I tried connecting the reference to the reference input on the back of the 7260 and nothing happen. I made sure the switch was flipped to "external". I also tried it on the input on the back of the 1912A and again nothing.  :-// What am I doing wrong? In both cases the switch was set to "external".  Me confused.  :-// :-//

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35524 on: July 24, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
Royer converter win. This is why I need more Fluke 87s  :-DD

Think another 3 should do it.  :scared:

This little bugger runs ~ 85% efficient, no cooling required and delivers dual 15V rails at 20mA from 5V in. I've designed a feedback loop to give it precise voltage control but not added it yet. Too hot for more soldering today  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf