Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14964184 times)

dj9ss, Gerald, ZhuraYuk and 217 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54275 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:41 pm »
Having ignored they "nay-sayers" and the why-bother gang, I went ahead and finished my 3D printed attachment for my DER EE DE5000 LCR meter. I can now connect my BNC Kelvin tweezers and probes to the meter.

McBryce.

Good job, look really nice  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54276 on: April 01, 2020, 02:57:31 pm »
Having ignored they "nay-sayers" and the why-bother gang, I went ahead and finished my 3D printed attachment for my DER EE DE5000 LCR meter. I can now connect my BNC Kelvin tweezers and probes to the meter.

McBryce.

Good job, look really nice  :-+

I don't ignore the nay-sayers. I make it my mission to prove them wrong because I'm a miserable bastard.  :-DD

If I were still working insert me in that office.  >:D ;D 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54277 on: April 01, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »
Being down to one roll in reserve is hardly an emergency. What I have on hand will last me for WEEKS. The 2nd roll is my "emergency stock"
You need to eat more fibre, man.

Are you implying that I'm full of shit?  :-// But since you have a desire to know my bowel habits are perfectly adequate.  :P ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54278 on: April 01, 2020, 03:04:43 pm »
Are you implying that I'm full of shit?

[Fx: Italian palms up shrug, lower jaw pushed forward*] Hey, ya from New York in'tcha?  :)

* Imagine Steven Van Zandt in the Sopranos doing it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:09:30 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54279 on: April 01, 2020, 03:06:00 pm »
So what happen to the price of used TE during a recession ? I'm wondering if I should try to sell some items right now or wait until everything start coming back to normal.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54280 on: April 01, 2020, 03:07:15 pm »
8505A re-cap done. No issues. Powered up. Going to let it cook overnight then check it's overall accuracy/calibration as best as I can with the tools available. I do have some concerns/suspicions with the 100V and 1000V ranges but I'll see what the results are of the extended run.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54281 on: April 01, 2020, 03:11:56 pm »
Well look like I'm also a lucky winner. I started coughing today, then muscle pain and chest pain. Now I got a fever.

Really frustrating since I was home for the last 2.5 weeks, only went out once for grocery. And got food deliver once.  :rant:

Take care and get well soon.

Best wishes from Germany.

I fully second that.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54282 on: April 01, 2020, 03:15:42 pm »
So what happen to the price of used TE during a recession ? I'm wondering if I should try to sell some items right now or wait until everything start coming back to normal.

Don't know. I wasn't active in the hobby at that time but it didn't matter anyway because I had just become unemployed.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54283 on: April 01, 2020, 03:19:40 pm »

Don't know. I wasn't active in the hobby at that time but it didn't matter anyway because I had just become unemployed.

Companies will probably go bankrupt and fill the market with used equipment. But at the same time, they may try to buy more used equipments since it's cheaper than buying new  :-//
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:21:22 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54284 on: April 01, 2020, 03:22:31 pm »

Companies will probably go bankrupt and fill the market with used equipment. But at the same time, they may try to buy more used equipments since it's cheaper than buying new  :-//

Just going to have to see how this whole mess plays out. We are definitely in for some interesting times ahead.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54285 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:58 pm »

Ok, some pics..

My stack-expansion, the HP Harrison 6824A bipolar power supply/amplifier arrived today safe and sound due to well packaging!    :-+

It was sold for parts so before I plugged it in I had a look inside. -and revealed that it was better to take it apart before powering it on:

Who did design this (contact of fuse holder next to bare metal can of the electrolytic)?!   :scared:

I found it suspicious that a brand new power cord was attached to the unit -with missing strain relief.
I think I'll better fix this first before plugging it into mains...
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, factory, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54286 on: April 01, 2020, 03:32:59 pm »
Gorillas at work.  :palm:

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #54287 on: April 01, 2020, 03:38:02 pm »

McBryce.

Sweet!  Did you post the makefile? That way I can add it to my ever growing list of "shit wh will make if he ever gets the damn printer out of the box and on to a table" 
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54288 on: April 01, 2020, 03:45:48 pm »
Could not resist, I found another of those really nice Power Designs power supply on ebay at a really reasonable price. This time it's model 2010 0-20v 1A.

Before cleanup:

After cleanup:

I was expecting the same kind of ovenize voltage reference found in model 2005a, but to my surprise the general construction is a lot more recent and it's equipped with a LM399  :-+ look like it's a stripped down version of model 2020.

I only changed 2 caps and did the same operation on the switches with IPA -> Deoxit G5 -> Deoxit S5

And as expected, resolution and accuracy is pretty impressive for a power supply  8)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:04:28 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying, factory, grizewald

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #54289 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:31 pm »
Sweet!  Did you post the makefile? That way I can add it to my ever growing list of "shit wh will make if he ever gets the damn printer out of the box and on to a table"

Do it while the pandemic is going on!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54290 on: April 01, 2020, 03:54:58 pm »
Could not resist, I found another of those really nice Power Designs power supply on ebay at a really reasonable price. This time it's model 2010 0-20v 1A.

And as expected, resolution and accuracy is pretty impressive for a power supply  8)

... and the low noise :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54291 on: April 01, 2020, 03:58:28 pm »

... and the low noise :)

Yes of course, noise is ridiculously low (100uV P-P) even compared to today's standards.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:00:28 pm by Kosmic »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54292 on: April 01, 2020, 04:10:01 pm »

One day I'll get one of these beauties. One day ...  8)  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54293 on: April 01, 2020, 04:29:45 pm »

I've not even seen one offered! That 'One day ...' might be a long time off. And then we might be fighting over it. :box: :D

To all of you suffering from various diseases: Get well soon!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54294 on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:23 pm »

Before jumping, make sure the particular model allows the transformer taps to be changed to 240V.

I paid $10 for mine :) Plus P&P of about seven times that :(
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54295 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »

Before jumping, make sure the particular model allows the transformer taps to be changed to 240V.

Yes. But I'm planning a 115V~ circuit for my lab for such devices. I'm always looking for a decent 230V to 115V transformer in the 2000VA range.

But I should finish some other things first and do some planning about the rearrangement of my lab.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54296 on: April 01, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »

Yes. But I'm planning a 115V~ circuit for my lab for such devices.

Ooh, two sets of sockets. I'm sure bd would like you to have a webcam so we can all see the "unplanned disassembly" moments :)

More seriously, how many 115V only devices would you want to have?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54297 on: April 01, 2020, 05:25:31 pm »

More seriously, how many 115V only devices would you want to have?

Ahem....all of them.  :P :P :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54298 on: April 01, 2020, 05:28:31 pm »
get a meanwell true sine inverter and power them off a 48V minigun battery pack ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54299 on: April 01, 2020, 05:48:52 pm »
@Cerebus, totally agree with the way that asthma attacks come and go as a long time fellow sufferer and nobody other than another sufferer appreciates just how debilitating it is. My son also is a sufferer and when he gets an attack, he gets all the sympathy from SWMBO because makes a song and dance about, I tend to just try to get on with it and get nothing  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf