Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36120167 times)

0 Members and 4070 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5025 on: December 15, 2017, 09:24:49 am »
I still own a couple. They're good for throwing at the neighbours' cats shitting in my garden  :-DD
 

Offline neo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1694
  • Country: us
  • The specialist.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5026 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:38 am »
I used to blow them up by doing dangerous experiments for fun. Sometimes the best way to learn how to make a power supply is to first learn how NOT to.
A hopeless addict (and slave) to TEA and a firm believer that high frequency is little more than modern hoodoo.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5027 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:01 am »

The first fundamental rule of TEA, there will always be better. The second fundamental rule of TEA, the top shelf is not the limit, in either storage or quality.

I think it's top shelf now but if i were to get a meteorological grade decade box of any decade it would become a lot less usefull in comparison  :-DD

New Resistive toys brought and paid for and in shipping from the UK, Adelaide and the Ukraine for a 0.02% 8 decade box. My Christmas should come early  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9844
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5028 on: December 15, 2017, 09:31:30 am »
New Resistive toys brought and paid for and in shipping from the UK, Adelaide and the Ukraine for a 0.02% 8 decade box. My Christmas should come early  8)
I could use a good resistor decade box. I bought a very crusty one the other day. That at least should get me by and it was dirt cheap, as far as decade boxes are ever cheap. Now I can be patient and wait until something nice and cheap comes by.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:36:40 am by Mr. Scram »
 

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5029 on: December 15, 2017, 09:36:40 am »

That'd break the pyramid and minimize GAS. What you need is something like the following:

                                     8.5
                             7.5            7.5
                     6.5           6.5           6.5
              5.5          5.5            5.5          5.5
       4.5         4.5           4.5           4.5          4.5
3.5         3.5          3.5            3.5          3.5         3.5

If I take my ~15 4.5 digit DMMs as a starting point, I'd need a 18.5 digit DMM at the top. Hard to get at the moment ... And I have absolutely no need or space for the heap of 3.5 digits that pyramid implies.
Before I start searching for a formula that satisfies my constellation, I'll rather just take it as it is and enjoy the equipment it. ^-^
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9844
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5031 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:58 am »
That's a nice chunky box. Wasn't Quadtech one of the companies mentioned in one of the decade boxes videos? I think it was the large decade box video.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5032 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:49 am »
Some of their new gear is mega $$ http://www.quadtech.com/.

Manual https://www.atecorp.com/ATECorp/media/pdfs/data-sheets/Quadtech-1880_Manual.pdf

Specs for this one 0.05% for $50 AUpesos  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5033 on: December 15, 2017, 10:13:44 am »
Don't you believe it!

While I was convinced I'd been to the old company buildings for the last time, the boss asked me and and a few other colleagues to join him on a very last walk through them. And lying around, there were another 3 HP6114A PSUs (bringing my total up to a dozen). In a garbage container, half buried, two HP34401 stuck out their butts, crying for help! Helping them I did, and resurrected them to safe them from their early demise. They certainly deserved a better fate than that. Now they are invited to a nice Christmas at my home. :popcorn:

Some more boxes were filled with non-electronics stuff, so I need to ask a friend for another pickup with a car. Guess I'm quite happy with that very last visit.  :-DD
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5034 on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:20 am »
I think that you'd better rush out and buy a lottery ticket, with your luck, you'd win the jackpot and then you could ship some of that haul to me as you'd be, like your boss, buying all new gear from then on  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5035 on: December 15, 2017, 10:25:02 am »
Indeed. Last time I got invited to someone's office to empty it out, we found an Avaya telecoms switch which didn't work, a fridge with a cthulhu growing in it and some dead rats. That's as far as my luck ever goes!
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5036 on: December 15, 2017, 10:34:33 am »
Rate limiting. Some spammers like to sign up then flood forums with posts which makes it difficult for the moderators to clear up. They also use multiple accounts so they restrict based on IP address.
Begs the question, what do they possibly gain from it all then, perhaps should develop some software that detects them and their IP addresses and automatically spam the hell out of their system until it crashes and burns, shit heads. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9844
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5037 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:50 am »
Begs the question, what do they possibly gain from it all then, perhaps should develop some software that detects them and their IP addresses and automatically spam the hell out of their system until it crashes and burns, shit heads. :popcorn:
Why does anyone spam? They get clicks. With a low conversion rate you need to spam a lot to get anywhere.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5038 on: December 15, 2017, 11:08:11 am »
Just remember, what we see as SPAM, some naive wally selling something sees as "Internet leafleting". The entire value proposition in doing SPAM is to sell the SPAM service to the people who want their brand or service marketed. There is no value generated, merely cash goes in the SPAM company's pockets and brand damage comes out of the other end. A lot of brand owners haven't got that and don't know that the SPAM conversion rate is so low, it's not worth it even for a lead.

Periodically someone will skip the middle man and get an underling to SPAM forums etc, at which point you usually get the buggery pole rammed up you by other forum members (like the tektronix woman the other week).
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5039 on: December 15, 2017, 11:29:09 am »
If anyone has managed to work out the size of the DC connector on the TF930, please can you let me know. I can't get my crappy calipers in the hole to measure the centre pin size.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5040 on: December 15, 2017, 11:29:44 am »
Periodically someone will skip the middle man and get an underling to SPAM forums etc, at which point you usually get the buggery pole rammed up you by other forum members (like the tektronix woman the other week).
HMM, i missed that, might have paid good money to see that take place  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5041 on: December 15, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
Periodically someone will skip the middle man and get an underling to SPAM forums etc, at which point you usually get the buggery pole rammed up you by other forum members (like the tektronix woman the other week).
HMM, i missed that, might have paid good money to see that take place  :-DD

Enjoy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-new-8-channel-scope-with-the-largest-touchscreen-display/
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9844
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5043 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:48 pm »
Enjoy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-new-8-channel-scope-with-the-largest-touchscreen-display/
Thanks for bringing up that clustercopulation.
Thats not the type of pole that she was hoping for me thinks... clearly a staged photo with a hidden meaning..... someone thinks that sex actually sells.... all she is going to be successful at selling, is herself..... I expect that she'd get some very interesting propositions...... Might have one or two myself for her and none of them would talking about the bloody scope ........FAIL written all over it wah wah wah  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5044 on: December 15, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »
If anyone has managed to work out the size of the DC connector on the TF930, please can you let me know. I can't get my crappy calipers in the hole to measure the centre pin size.
I've tried to do the reverse as I've already got a power unit that fits and it looks like being 1.5 to 1.6 but it's nigh on impossible to get the calipers into the plug as well, perhaps the photo attached might help if you can track down the unit its attached to, or pop down to Maplins and purchase one of their universal units with the different tips that can be attached as required?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5045 on: December 15, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »
Thanks for that - appreciated. I'm trying to cheap it as I've got a box of 5v adapters of various kinds here but none of them have the right size plug. Was just going to buy the plug :)

Good idea with universal one. I can't be arsed to go to Maplin so I'll order one off CPC. That was plan B if I couldn't work out the plug size.

Plan C is add a DB9 socket as I've got my own "DC connector standard" (for radios etc) which consists of a consistent power pin and auxillary switching layout but that means getting out the nibbler and I'm not sure I can be arsed. I've got one wired for that already on the other end you see :)
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5046 on: December 15, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »
If anyone has managed to work out the size of the DC connector on the TF930, please can you let me know. I can't get my crappy calipers in the hole to measure the centre pin size.

Waiting for mine to be delivered. [Need emoticon of drumming fingers].

Once it has, I have a bumper DC adapter set and once I've worked out which one fits I'll tell you.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5047 on: December 15, 2017, 01:19:45 pm »
Enjoy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-new-8-channel-scope-with-the-largest-touchscreen-display/
Thanks for bringing up that clustercopulation.
Just been speaking to the counter sales    outfit and it seems you have secured your counter now, is that correct? I can tell you privately what the issue was if you want to know, pm me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9844
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5048 on: December 15, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »
Just been speaking to the counter sales    outfit and it seems you have secured your counter now, is that correct? I can tell you privately what the issue was if you want to know, pm me.
Yes, correct. I posted as much yesterday, but I might have been better to inform you personally because of your offer. It seems all will be well!
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5049 on: December 15, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
Just picked up another of these little beauties, and it's also another minter.  :clap:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->