Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36210899 times)

0 Members and 2580 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25275 on: February 14, 2019, 09:14:51 pm »
Buy another 465B. I had three once  :-DD.  Got two good ones out of it.

That's probably what's gonna happen. I'll keep a look out for a junker. Too bad the 465 junker that I already have is a different attenuator assembly.
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25276 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:22 pm »
Spent some time today working on the 465B Channel 2 attenuator deck issue and I found the problem. And unfortunately it's fatal. Some gorilla has been in here before me and they stripped several of stand off screw holes causing inconsistent contact across the entire assembly. And the front plate is bent so the BNC must have taken a shot at one time and was replaced. So this whole mess has got to go. I'll keep and eye out for a cheap junker but this really isn't a priority and it will function just fine as a single trace scope.

This isn't the first time I've had to clean up after this damn gorilla and I'm sure it won't be the last.    :palm:
And you won't consider re-tapping them just oversize and fitting a different screw ?  :-//
Maybe a another screw with a locking nut on the other side?

Blind holes in plastic.
Is there no access to the other side at all then?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25277 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:41 pm »
Spent some time today working on the 465B Channel 2 attenuator deck issue and I found the problem. And unfortunately it's fatal. Some gorilla has been in here before me and they stripped several of stand off screw holes causing inconsistent contact across the entire assembly. And the front plate is bent so the BNC must have taken a shot at one time and was replaced. So this whole mess has got to go. I'll keep and eye out for a cheap junker but this really isn't a priority and it will function just fine as a single trace scope.

This isn't the first time I've had to clean up after this damn gorilla and I'm sure it won't be the last.    :palm:
And you won't consider re-tapping them just oversize and fitting a different screw ?  :-//
Maybe a another screw with a locking nut on the other side?

Blind holes in plastic.
Is there no access to the other side at all then?

I don't think so.
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 


Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25279 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:12 pm »
tautech, you beat me to it. I'm not quite a 100% sure which part of the standoffs is stripped. Is the tapped thread on the top as we look at it, or is it the screw bit that goes through in the switch which plastic?

If it is the part that goes into the switch, you could try some super glue gel or even super glue with a bit of baking powder to speed up the drying process and increase the bonding strength?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Inverted18650

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 875
  • Country: us
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25280 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:26 pm »
Has anyone tried DIY injection molding recycled plastic? I have seen a few YouTube videos on the topic, and I have my own DIY metal foundry, but the injection molding is interesting and would be fun to compare to 3D printing; or somehow combine the two/three. (make the molds from DIY cast metals, and use them for the injections, then supplement detail with the 3D printed parts...more time than sense I guess but it handy to make your own sh*t..

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25281 on: February 14, 2019, 11:23:21 pm »
That’s why they invented beer. To take the pain away.

A little pleasure... a little pain... it's ALLLL good, man.  >:D And doobie doesn't give you a hangover.  ;)

mnem
I eat chirpy people.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25282 on: February 14, 2019, 11:26:54 pm »
I still don't know if she called them and compared notes, or if she just knew most of the same people as I did and guessed on the rest. Don't wanna know either. I just put it back in the back of my dresser and went on about my life as if I'd never looked in it. We lasted almost a year after that; and no blood was spilled. Well, none that wasn't voluntary.  >:D

mnem
Life is complicated.
Relationships are complex:they have a real part, and an imaginary part...

I only do what the voices tell me to do.  :o

mnem
Right now they're telling me to eat a whole bag of Valentine's Hershey Kisses...  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25283 on: February 14, 2019, 11:39:11 pm »
Has anyone tried DIY injection molding recycled plastic? I have seen a few YouTube videos on the topic, and I have my own DIY metal foundry, but the injection molding is interesting and would be fun to compare to 3D printing; or somehow combine the two/three. (make the molds from DIY cast metals, and use them for the injections, then supplement detail with the 3D printed parts...more time than sense I guess but it handy to make your own sh*t..

Two part Urethane Resins in syringes is about the only practical method unless you get heaters hydraulics and such you will also have to buy a big baggy of pellets or pay way over the top for kg lots. Similar to these https://www.polytek.com/product-type/polyurethane-liquid-casting-plastics Low viscosity and some of the better quality ones are more like 60 seconds work time so work fast  ;) Also have a look around at RIM (Rapid Injection molding) which is more of an industrial version with Urethanes.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25284 on: February 15, 2019, 12:02:54 am »

As for sniping... I see it as just leveling the playing field. If you wanna win against the professional eBayers, you gotta step up your game and use the same tools they use. Plus, it saves you the agony of "Knock at the door, missed my auction" blues.  :palm:

mnem
*Building the perfect Beast*

I have an evilbay Auction I want to bid on that finishes at stupid o'clock local time what are your sniping weapons of choice?

So far Gixen looks like a decent option  :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline Kosmic

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25285 on: February 15, 2019, 12:23:34 am »
I have an evilbay Auction I want to bid on that finishes at stupid o'clock local time what are your sniping weapons of choice?

So far Gixen looks like a decent option  :-//

Has been working well for me. And it's free.
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25286 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:52 am »
I have an evilbay Auction I want to bid on that finishes at stupid o'clock local time what are your sniping weapons of choice?

So far Gixen looks like a decent option  :-//
Has been working well for me. And it's free.

Gixen.com for over a decade.  :-+  I have no alternate; they've never let me down.  :-+ :-+ I either win or get outbid long before the feeding frenzy.  :-+ :-+ :-+

If you really want to take no chances, they have their mirror service for 99¢ for a week; it gives redundant service in case "the tubes get clogged" and your bid is delayed. I've used it a couple times on "I really want this" items; no idea if it worked but I won them both at my price.

mnem
evilBay fears me.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Inverted18650

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 875
  • Country: us
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25287 on: February 15, 2019, 12:50:14 am »
I set the Fluke 332B & the 332D side by side and fired off a few pics with their respective tops off.

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: HP 5347A and Tektronix 2465
« Reply #25288 on: February 15, 2019, 01:03:22 am »
...I might pull the 7404 it feeds into in the desperate hope there is a fault with the 7404 that's holding the output low.  If it's the MK500P, then it looks like they are around, but not in great numbers.  If you want a laugh - have a look at the one offering on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143112726483

Well that's totally pants. Like he's trying to get the price of the whole instrument from one part; and no way of knowing if that would fix anything. There's a lot of "tested, working" parts on fleaBagy that are neither.  :P
I pulled the 7404 as indicated - and the MK500P performed like a champ, so that's one less problem.
Edit: I should probably load the MK500P output with a TTL input to make sure it can drive it ok.


Quote
Good job you have got further in a day than I 'felt' the need to in 6 months  :-DD

I have a few 7404 circa 1978 vintage IC's I could have included  ;D
I think the ones I have might be a better match ... circa 1975, I think.   ;D
   Be a REAL MAN; build it from discretes! It's  ONLY 6 of these!!! :-DD

Then you are likely to groan over at least one of the ideas I had for chip substitution.  The first is a little sub board with two 7400's wired up as a 7404 - but I'll probably just jump in the car for a 20 minute drive to Jaycar where I can get a real 7404 for $4 (ouch).

The second idea I'll keep to myself for now.  I might try it first and see how it goes before sharing...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:06:29 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25289 on: February 15, 2019, 01:23:55 am »
Thinking of jumpering the dead gate over to one of the unused ones? No, I've NEVER done THAT...  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25290 on: February 15, 2019, 01:30:21 am »
No.  Something that I fear might bring a dwagon to huff and puff....
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25291 on: February 15, 2019, 01:34:57 am »
The only thing THAT BAD I can think of off the top of my head would be to rob it out of a 24xx family Tek...  ;)

mnem
I don't bite. Well, not without permission.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25292 on: February 15, 2019, 01:41:41 am »
Okay... I want to post a teardown on my 1KW Computer PSU... where is best? Other Equipment & Products?

Please advise soon; I'm working on the text of the teardown now.

mnem
???
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25293 on: February 15, 2019, 02:21:11 am »
The only thing THAT BAD I can think of off the top of my head would be to rob it out of a 24xx family Tek...  ;)

mnem
I don't bite. Well, not without permission.  >:D

No, nothing so cannibalistic.

I might as well just say it.... An Arduino based emulator.  Yes, the propagation delay will be poor, but in some applications that won't matter at all - and in the ones that do matter, I'll just have to take that into account.  The main purpose is to enable function of a dead chip so the rest of the circuit can be checked out, ideally making my purchase of proper replacement chips a one-stop shop.  The good thing is that you can turn it into any chip you like.  Maybe use my stash of 7400's for input/output buffering.

The 7404 I will do with 7400's, but the 7442 is a definite candidate for emulation.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:23:28 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25294 on: February 15, 2019, 02:27:16 am »
Right Gixen sorted and beaten into ebay.com.au submission  :horse: 3am alarm can be cancelled  :phew:

Laughed at the dis-functionality and farcical nature of the USA, UK and OZ governments because otherwise I would just want to see horrible things happen to them all |O One way rocket ride to the sun, free diving with cement flippers over the Mariana trench, Parachute training without parachutes from 10,000' ......  >:D

Time for more TEA and a Coffee to drink because it's to early for Gin or maybe look at migrating to NZ seems how they are finally getting a decent beer .......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25295 on: February 15, 2019, 02:42:10 am »
Okay... I want to post a teardown on my 1KW Computer PSU... where is best? Other Equipment & Products?

Yes!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25296 on: February 15, 2019, 02:55:58 am »
The only thing THAT BAD I can think of off the top of my head would be to rob it out of a 24xx family Tek...  ;)

mnem
I don't bite. Well, not without permission.  >:D

No, nothing so cannibalistic.

I might as well just say it.... An Arduino based emulator.  Yes, the propagation delay will be poor, but in some applications that won't matter at all - and in the ones that do matter, I'll just have to take that into account.  The main purpose is to enable function of a dead chip so the rest of the circuit can be checked out, ideally making my purchase of proper replacement chips a one-stop shop.  The good thing is that you can turn it into any chip you like.  Maybe use my stash of 7400's for input/output buffering.

The 7404 I will do with 7400's, but the 7442 is a definite candidate for emulation.

Arduino IC emulator? Don't forget the requisite 16x2 LCD display and keypad for IC selection to complete the Arduino look-and-feel.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25297 on: February 15, 2019, 03:37:02 am »
The only thing THAT BAD I can think of off the top of my head would be to rob it out of a 24xx family Tek...  ;)

mnem
I don't bite. Well, not without permission.  >:D

No, nothing so cannibalistic.

I might as well just say it.... An Arduino based emulator.  Yes, the propagation delay will be poor, but in some applications that won't matter at all - and in the ones that do matter, I'll just have to take that into account.  The main purpose is to enable function of a dead chip so the rest of the circuit can be checked out, ideally making my purchase of proper replacement chips a one-stop shop.  The good thing is that you can turn it into any chip you like.  Maybe use my stash of 7400's for input/output buffering.

The 7404 I will do with 7400's, but the 7442 is a definite candidate for emulation.

Yeah, but the 7442 is like the 7404... a $2 chip retail. Jaycar doesn't have them too? I mean... you're talking about a lot more than $8 and 40 minutes worth of hassle between the two, and if you're going for 2 parts, it seems worth it even just for troubleshooting. Especially if you can online order/pick up in store and add some resistors, caps, etc to get the online price break.  :o

mnem
It's a sad day when I'm the voice of reason...  :-\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25298 on: February 15, 2019, 03:53:38 am »
Successful property auction haul today. Grabbed another HP spectrum analyzer display (contemplating doing the LCD upgrade to it) which hopefully eventually will go with the 8568B RF unit I'm repairing. And got another 3455A voltmeter. And I spent less than $100 so that was a win. A number of other things were for sale that I kind of wanted, but they got bid way out of my price range.
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25299 on: February 15, 2019, 04:37:42 am »
Source7404$ (ea)7442$ (ea)
JaycarY3.95N-
AltronicsN-N-
MouserY2.96Y (non stocked)Call for quote
DigikeyY2.94Listed, No stockObsolete
RS ComponentsY3.3N-
WagnerY1.5N-
Element 14Variants: HC, AC, AHC, AS, F, HCT, AHCU, LS, HCU$0.43 - $2.15HC variant only2.43
OctopartYes, various From $1.55LS and HC varieties and nothing in DIPFrom $0.89

Not rockin' my socks.

Then there's eBay ... Do I dare?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:39:45 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->