Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36292347 times)

Carl_Smith and 2391 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28775 on: April 06, 2019, 10:16:40 pm »
Stop trying to sell me a 3d printer. I've got enough projects on the go already  :-DD  :-DD

(it is happening some time this or next year. I cant put it off any longer)

Edit: BTW USPS = shit.

My VTVM probe kit has been bouncing around from 1st of April to 6th in Miami going bloody nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:18:42 pm by bd139 »
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28776 on: April 06, 2019, 11:05:10 pm »
If in doubt, just make something. I built the ESR meter mentioned earlier with crap I had lying around. Only on breadboard now - will do a manhattan board for it later when I'm totally happy. Would benefit from a 50uA meter but I only had a 100uA on hand. Will get a few at Kempton as they are useful and there's usually a metric ton of the things. Calibrated it roughly with 1 and 10 ohm 1% MF resistors and it appears to do the trick. Running frequency is 87KHz.

Shonky 50 year old Dubilier cap which was getting hot in circuit:



Brand new 47uF panasonic electrolytic:



Total cost £0  :-+

Original link: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/

Edit: I am currently creatively knackering some old electrolytic capacitors so I have something to test. I just woke the kids up with one which I pushed a bit too far :-DD

Also I am really super happy with that HP power supply. Could be my favourite bit of gear now  :-+
Thats looking really good, a cheap and cheerful ESR from scrap parts, problem being its a one trick pony, with something my XJW01, or the DE-5000 you can measure capacitance, inductance and resistance/impedance at various frequencies. That said if you only want to measure the ESR of a suspect cap, then that should be fine because a cap can measure within its tolerance for cap value but ESR can still be miles out and cause all kinds of problems.

It's fine to replace all caps carte blanche if its an item that you intend to keep, but if it's going to be flipped soon on Ebay then it can be very useful to pinpoint the faulty cap and just replace it otherwise you may well find it hard to recoup your expenses.

Been working on the pioneer A109 amp tonight and after cleaning the PCB it blew the replacement fuse. Stripped it down and found a nuked MOSFET on the output, just ordered a couple up, mega expensive @ £2.62 for 4 :-DD 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28777 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:03 pm »
Stop trying to sell me a 3d printer. I've got enough projects on the go already  :-DD  :-DD

(it is happening some time this or next year. I cant put it off any longer)

Edit: BTW USPS = shit.

My VTVM probe kit has been bouncing around from 1st of April to 6th in Miami going bloody nowhere.
Might just be a case that they have failed to update the tracking. I get that a lot with items from China, the next thing is its dropped through your letter flap.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7966
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28778 on: April 06, 2019, 11:40:05 pm »
A 3D print for the group -
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 
The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, bd139, beanflying, 0culus

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28779 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:46 am »
Stop trying to sell me a 3d printer. I've got enough projects on the go already  :-DD  :-DD

(it is happening some time this or next year. I cant put it off any longer)

Edit: BTW USPS = shit.

My VTVM probe kit has been bouncing around from 1st of April to 6th in Miami going bloody nowhere.

Well... you know... "When the only tool you have is a 3D Printer... EVERY problem looks like something you can fix with a 3D printed hammer. Or pliers. Or wrench. Or bracket. Or bushing. Or spacer. Or box. Or knob. Or corner piece. Or..." :-DD



Yeah; something most people don't know is that until it's actually scanned into the carrier's "line of mail", a parcel is primarily tracked by "projected progress through the system". 

If you've ever seen your parcel sitting at one location for a long time, then suddenly it's gone and several new "scans" from preceding hubs magically appear in the timeline... what happened is that the one time it was scanned during its entire journey was as it passed through a conveyor being loaded onto a truck, and the system "adjusted" its history "as projected".   :palm:

It's all about them meeting their "metrics"; like most goals in today's business world, these are figures some dingle half the country away pulled out of his arse, based more on his own wish list than ANYTHING in prior history or even any phase of reality we mere mortals dwell in.



If in doubt, just make something. I built the ESR meter mentioned earlier with crap I had lying around. Only on breadboard now - will do a manhattan board for it later when I'm totally happy. Would benefit from a 50uA meter but I only had a 100uA on hand. Will get a few at Kempton as they are useful and there's usually a metric ton of the things. Calibrated it roughly with 1 and 10 ohm 1% MF resistors and it appears to do the trick. Running frequency is 87KHz.

Shonky 50 year old Dubilier cap which was getting hot in circuit:      Brand new 47uF panasonic electrolytic:      Total cost £0  :-+   Original link: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/

Edit: I am currently creatively knackering some old electrolytic capacitors so I have something to test. I just woke the kids up with one which I pushed a bit too far :-DD   Also I am really super happy with that HP power supply. Could be my favourite bit of gear now  :-+
Thats looking really good, a cheap and cheerful ESR from scrap parts, problem being its a one trick pony, with something my XJW01, or the DE-5000 you can measure capacitance, inductance and resistance/impedance at various frequencies. That said if you only want to measure the ESR of a suspect cap, then that should be fine because a cap can measure within its tolerance for cap value but ESR can still be miles out and cause all kinds of problems.

It's fine to replace all caps carte blanche if its an item that you intend to keep, but if it's going to be flipped soon on Ebay then it can be very useful to pinpoint the faulty cap and just replace it otherwise you may well find it hard to recoup your expenses.

Been working on the pioneer A109 amp tonight and after cleaning the PCB it blew the replacement fuse. Stripped it down and found a nuked MOSFET on the output, just ordered a couple up, mega expensive @ £2.62 for 4 :-DD 

Don't get me wrong... I think it's awresome that you threw that together out of what have you. I did a similar project from Dick Smith's notes on Anatek.com back when I was reality-checking the "Blue" ESR Meter. When I was done I had something similar on a bit of perfboard with a 9V battery holder. In the end I decided it was worth the $70 they were asking for the kit for in-circuit testing.

A 3D print for the group -

 :-+

mnem
*Couch-tuber time widda kiddles*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28780 on: April 07, 2019, 12:04:43 am »
A 3D print for the group -

OK wise guy....do this one.  >:D :-+  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7966
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28781 on: April 07, 2019, 12:11:21 am »
OK wise guy....do this one.  >:D :-+  ;D

I'll get right on that ...

 :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28782 on: April 07, 2019, 12:43:18 am »
A 3D print for the group -

OK wise guy....do this one.  >:D :-+  ;D



Would look better as a Raster image from a Laser than 3DP  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28783 on: April 07, 2019, 12:44:50 am »
Stop trying to sell me a 3d printer. I've got enough projects on the go already  :-DD  :-DD

(it is happening some time this or next year. I cant put it off any longer)

Edit: BTW USPS = shit.

My VTVM probe kit has been bouncing around from 1st of April to 6th in Miami going bloody nowhere.

Start your Fusion 360 learning now produce a few virtual items in advance decide you actually need them in the real world  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28784 on: April 07, 2019, 01:42:10 am »
So I'm finding this ADF board very hard to get locked. I think the issue is in my homebrew logic level converter so I think I am going to buy one of those logic converter boards because even though I redid mine on FR4 protoboard rather than the breadboard, it's still highly unreliable.
 

Offline kj7e

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 922
  • Country: us
  • Damon Stewart
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28785 on: April 07, 2019, 03:00:24 am »
Need some opinions, I would like to pick up an Analog scope, no real need, just would like to have.  Prefer 4 channel and would like measurements, 100MHz min, no need for anything over 200.  Looking at the Tek 2247's and 2252's.  Yea or Nay or should I look at another model?
 

Offline Cubdriver

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 4201
  • Country: us
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28786 on: April 07, 2019, 03:09:41 am »
The 2246 is another option - I've had mine for about fifteen years now and it has served me well.



-Pat
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:15:48 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...
 
The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28787 on: April 07, 2019, 03:22:56 am »
Need some opinions, I would like to pick up an Analog scope, no real need, just would like to have.  Prefer 4 channel and would like measurements, 100MHz min, no need for anything over 200.  Looking at the Tek 2247's and 2252's.  Yea or Nay or should I look at another model?

Been very happy with my 2465B...if you want I can point you at the guy I bought mine from on ebay. He refurbs and calibrates them, so you aren't buying a project.
 
The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28788 on: April 07, 2019, 03:32:42 am »
The illusion of organised, clean and tidy  ::) This once in a decade photo of horizontal surfaces with no contents  :palm:

The dead spaces in the corners are getting filled with Milk crates I have 'borrowed' over time  >:D for easy access of the contents. Bulk hardware, cables, plumbing etc.

Not shown for obvious reasons is the 'stuff' that used to inhabit that area of the shack that will be getting a sort over the next week :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28789 on: April 07, 2019, 03:58:18 am »
Corrugated walls? Is your shack/bench in a storage shed with no insulation? If yes, I would assume in your climate humidity is not an issue. But what about high winds from storms? Or is that a rare event too?
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28790 on: April 07, 2019, 04:08:51 am »
Weather http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_090082.shtml is overall fairly mild. Winds are 'constant' rather than high or extreme and we have a large % of the states Wind Generators nearby. It does get below freezing on maybe a dozen nights a year and I have seen snow once in 15 years. We also get maybe 10 days a year of around 40C.

I am going to try and find a few clear days in the next month or so to drop the roof off and add some foil, draught strips and replace the nails with screws to keep everything a little nicer at the extremes. Without getting into the saga it is my Mum's shed but I am using it to escape while I help look after her so I am keeping money spent on the building sensible.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28791 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:45 am »
Got my HP 6060B load. The extra beefy binding posts survived, front and rear!



Unfortunately, the rear strap cap didn't survive. However, the hit missed everything else nearby it. :phew:



Here's what's left of the cap.



I've only given it a light test with 30W. The 1000W HP 6032A is a bit hard to get to at the moment, but it'll give the load a full workout. :o
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:32:37 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28792 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:15 am »
Need some opinions, I would like to pick up an Analog scope, no real need, just would like to have.  Prefer 4 channel and would like measurements, 100MHz min, no need for anything over 200.  Looking at the Tek 2247's and 2252's.  Yea or Nay or should I look at another model?
Been very happy with my 2465B...if you want I can point you at the guy I bought mine from on ebay. He refurbs and calibrates them, so you aren't buying a project.

If you're looking for Tek, I've communicated several times with user 2465b on eBay... He's a Tek nut and retired Tek tech; he helped me greatly when I was rebuilding my first 2465. I bought a few parts from him at reasonable prices, he didn't mind helping a guy DIY, and he was actually proactive with warnings about pitfalls and proper handling of those parts.


Guy who "makes" 2465s out of 2445s. Never mind. |O


Cheers,

mnem
moo.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:41:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28793 on: April 07, 2019, 05:21:01 am »
Yep, thats the guy. He's fantastic. Wanting to get a 2467B from him at some point. Yes, it has a microchannel plate CRT, but if it's a good one, it performs a lot better than the standard one in some situations.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28794 on: April 07, 2019, 05:34:45 am »
The Dangers of cleaning up in Oz due to heart stoppage. Hi Hairy Legs  :o

This little guy now running free in the Garden where it belongs.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28795 on: April 07, 2019, 05:42:00 am »
Nope.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, 0culus

Offline VK5RC

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2674
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28796 on: April 07, 2019, 05:43:26 am »
Nice to let the spider free, even nicer looking after a parent!
-Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28797 on: April 07, 2019, 05:46:46 am »
Oh my arachnophobia! :scared:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28798 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:41 am »
Need some opinions, I would like to pick up an Analog scope, no real need, just would like to have.  Prefer 4 channel and would like measurements, 100MHz min, no need for anything over 200.  Looking at the Tek 2247's and 2252's.  Yea or Nay or should I look at another model?
Been very happy with my 2465B...if you want I can point you at the guy I bought mine from on ebay. He refurbs and calibrates them, so you aren't buying a project.

If you're looking for Tek, I've communicated several times with user 2465b on eBay... He's a Tek nut and retired Tek tech; he helped me greatly when I was rebuilding my first 2465. I bought a few parts from him at reasonable prices, he didn't mind helping a guy DIY, and he was actually proactive with warnings about pitfalls and proper handling of those parts.

There is a seller on fleabay who reportedly rebadges 2445s as 2465s and, IIRC, puts cal stickers over everything to prevent them being opened and checked and refunds claimed.

I have no direct experience, do not know which vendor it is, but it may be worth doing some googling, particularly on the TekScopes group.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28799 on: April 07, 2019, 07:04:29 am »
Nope.  :scared:
Oh my arachnophobia! :scared:

Sorry, I'm with Bean and VK5RC

They might look imposing, but I like them.  They eat bugs.
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->