Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15615148 times)

Carl_Smith and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31525 on: May 17, 2019, 02:36:40 pm »
The 200MHz HK TEXAS probe seems quite nice; makes beautiful, crisp and symmetrical sine, square & sawtooth waves on my old 20MHz gen right out of the baggie with no adjustment. Just like my 100MHz cheapies, and the  ones that came with my 1054Z. The BNC adapter ferrule that came with fits snugly, doesn't try to stay stuck in the BNC.  :-+

I ordered a pair of 200MHz probes from scopewa. Should arrive around the same time as my SA. :-+

Yup... that's where I got my P6100s from. Think they cost like $13/pr a couple years ago. What'd you get, the Lihuada P2200s? I have one of them on the way from another vendor in Taiwan; I had no "hunger" for it, so was perfectly happy waiting a month to get it for $8.

When they get here we can compare pics and notes.  :-+

Got some pr0n shots of nixiefreqq's favorite type of calculator.  >:D

Oooohhh.... THAT is a fine example of the breed. The case reminds me of the one from my grandfather's AC-corded Norelco shaver decades ago...

Much as I loathe Yoda-speaking calculators, I still got a bit of a nerd-boner from that.  :-DD

mnem
*Imagining Oculus opening that up, just like in the briefcase scene from Pulp Fiction*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31526 on: May 17, 2019, 03:13:20 pm »
Rumours of my death have been much exaggerated. At least I presume there were rumours, I tend to attract them.

Work has been keeping me too busy for TEA related activities, while at the same time generating lots of spare cash that just begged to be spent. Unfortunately every time I've had a chance to look up there hasn't been anything worth buying - until this week. Delivered today, one HP 3325A Synthesized Function Generator.

Obligatory photo with frequency counter in the background showing the usual boringly good accuracy for a bit of old HP kit that probably hasn't seen a cal lab in 20 years.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:16:05 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31527 on: May 17, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »
Congratulations on not being dead!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31528 on: May 17, 2019, 03:25:12 pm »

I may yet be. SWMBO is away visiting her sister and that 3325A is, how shall I put it, quite roomy through the hips. So I may get marmalized when she gets home.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31529 on: May 17, 2019, 03:34:42 pm »
Top ten excuses from my playbook to avoid marmalization:

1. It was free and too good to let go in the skip.
2. I found it on the side of the road. You’d save a puppy if you saw it on the side of the road right?
3. It’s not as big or as expensive as your shoe collection.
4. I swapped it for something else that never existed because you pay no attention to what I have.
5. Look it has festive LEDs/neons/nixies.
6. It will look nice as a centre piece in the living room especially with a scope on top of it.
7. I’ve signed up for ebilling on my credit card so you can’t see the bill because it’s your birthday soon.
8. It also filters the air in the room.
9. It’s cheaper than the gas central heating.
10. I want a divorce.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31530 on: May 17, 2019, 03:40:56 pm »
You forgot good old bribery!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31531 on: May 17, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »
@Cerebus Congratulations on your return just to prove to everyone that at least you haven't gone silent key and perhaps to ensure you stay that way a bit longer may I strongly suggest that you don't attempt to use excuses 3 and 10. That HP  3325A sure looks pretty impressive, well done in napping it.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31532 on: May 17, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
I'm such a dumb ass. I should have known better, and I knew better.
I also never needed nor wanted one. Even less for what I paid for it.
I always took pride in retaining a last bit of sensibility. And then that.
And it's not even working!

It is cold comfort that I can put the blame on you. Yes you! It is you who kept telling me that every TEC (Test Equipment Collection) must have at least one.

God's messenger dropped it half an hour ago at my door.
The unexpectedly small and light bugger came wrapped in I-don't-ever-want-that-again. We all have seen an amazing variety of packaging options, but this looks like the seller wanted to get rid of some hazardous waste. :wtf:

After disposing the 'thing' (which easily filled my trashcan) and washing my hands not only once, I took a quick look at my new acquisition.

At least it still has its feet, and the outside is reasonably clean and unmarred. Only the print on the buttons disintegrates. :(

I should rename myself to Roger Dimwit.  :-DD
Eeewwww! Old used blanket! That is what they used to give the smallpox to the native americans!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31533 on: May 17, 2019, 05:13:58 pm »
It looks like an unbleached wool blanket. Those look a bit scruffy.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31534 on: May 17, 2019, 05:17:37 pm »
Well, do not tell her  "at least it is narrower than your hips!"  That will lead directly to option 10
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31535 on: May 17, 2019, 05:30:45 pm »
My method to avoid marmalization:

Stay single.  8)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31536 on: May 17, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
Neat. When I get to Canada, I'll hit you up about mailing you my P2200, P6100s and my HK Texas probe so you can nuke them too and see how they compare.  >:D

Sure anytime. Shipping should be cheap since I'm also on the east side of canada.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:53:14 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31537 on: May 17, 2019, 05:47:43 pm »
These are great, Kosmic! Thanks for running the tests. What is the noise source that you used. I know there are downsides to using one, but it'd still be useful for when my spectrum analyzer arrives since I don't have a scope with as much bandwidth as yours.

I use a cheap BG7TBL noise source. I think you can get one for less than 20$ on ebay. Working fine but they tend to overheat. I always cool it down with a fan.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31538 on: May 17, 2019, 06:13:17 pm »
Tektronix P6106 250Mhz
Really poor results from the P6106. I'm starting to think that the probe is broken.

Frequency response of the P6106 (Teal) from DC to 500Mhz, 50Mhz per division. Noise source in purple.

So after reading the manual of the P6106, I found how to do the high frequency adjustment of the probe. There is 4 trimmers hidden inside the probe.

After the adjustment the frequency response was a lot better (less attenuation).

Frequency response of the P6106 (Teal) from DC to 500Mhz, 50Mhz per division. Noise source in purple.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:19:52 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31539 on: May 17, 2019, 06:14:21 pm »
I'm such a dumb ass. I should have known better, and I knew better. I also never needed nor wanted one. Even less for what I paid for it. I always took pride in retaining a last bit of sensibility. And then that. And it's not even working! It is cold comfort that I can put the blame on you. Yes you! It is you who kept telling me that every TEC (Test Equipment Collection) must have at least one.

God's messenger dropped it half an hour ago at my door. The unexpectedly small and light bugger came wrapped in I-don't-ever-want-that-again. We all have seen an amazing variety of packaging options, but this looks like the seller wanted to get rid of some hazardous waste. :wtf:

After disposing the 'thing' (which easily filled my trashcan) and washing my hands not only once, I took a quick look at my new acquisition. At least it still has its feet, and the outside is reasonably clean and unmarred. Only the print on the buttons disintegrates. :(

I should rename myself to Roger Dimwit.
  :-DD

Good score!  :-+ Let's hope the only horror show part of the deal is what you already threw away!  ;D

Not Roger; Darryl... And med can be your brother Larry, and I can be his other brother Darryl...

About halfway through my liver cheese & onion sandwich, I noticed a funny texture... :palm:

Keeping it TEA: Yes, that is the 10 x 0.10mm stranded wires in the $1.89 alligator wires from MPJA. I'm not worried; as they each take their turn being the "fusible element" in my electronic tinkery, I'll upgrade the remaining bits with better wire and eventually end up with 5 or 6 good ones. Until I burn the alligators and boots off of those, and start the cycle all over again.   >:D

mnem
It's the "Circle of Life", but with magic smoke and wrinkled-up-nose-face.  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:17:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31540 on: May 17, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »

Stay single.  8)

Wish I knew that sooner  :-DD

Currently lurking in the car in a hospital car park on eBay browsing test gear. What could possibly go wrong?  :-DD

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31541 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:06 pm »
 Just a little extra cellulose. Good for the bowels. >:D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:36:43 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31542 on: May 17, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »
Rumours of my death have been much exaggerated anticipated  (mnem >:D). At least I presume there were rumours, I tend to attract them.

Work has been keeping me too busy for TEA related activities, while at the same time generating lots of spare cash that just begged to be spent. Unfortunately every time I've had a chance to look up there hasn't been anything worth buying - until this week. Delivered today, one HP 3325A Synthesized Function Generator.

Obligatory photo with frequency counter in the background showing the usual boringly good accuracy for a bit of old HP kit that probably hasn't seen a cal lab in 20 years.

Welcome back to the nuthouse, old friend. It is truly good to see you hale and hearty.   :clap:

I may yet be. SWMBO is away visiting her sister and that 3325A is, how shall I put it, quite roomy through the hips. So I may get marmalized when she gets home.
I promise I will take that marmalade and make wine of it; then drink to your memory if it comes to that.
But somehow, I expect you'll manage to sweet-talk your way out of it.

Top ten excuses from my playbook to avoid marmalization:

1. It was free and too good to let go in the skip.
2. I found it on the side of the road. You’d save a puppy if you saw it on the side of the road right?
3. It’s not as big or as expensive as your shoe collection.
4. I swapped it for something else that never existed because you pay no attention to what I have.
5. Look it has festive LEDs/neons/nixies.
6. It will look nice as a centre piece in the living room especially with a scope on top of it.
7. I’ve signed up for ebilling on my credit card so you can’t see the bill because it’s your birthday soon.
8. It also filters the air in the room.
9. It’s cheaper than the gas central heating.
10. I want a divorce.

I REALLY like number 8... I'm gonna use that next time she says something about my rebuilt PC being too bright in the corner of the living room. :-DD

Just a little extra cellulose. Good for the bowels. >:D
:-DD

mnem
It's true; I do need more fiber in my diet.  :P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:59:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31543 on: May 17, 2019, 07:20:02 pm »
These are great, Kosmic! Thanks for running the tests. What is the noise source that you used. I know there are downsides to using one, but it'd still be useful for when my spectrum analyzer arrives since I don't have a scope with as much bandwidth as yours.
I use a cheap BG7TBL noise source. I think you can get one for less than 20$ on ebay. Working fine but they tend to overheat. I always cool it down with a fan.

Like this one? eBay auction: #111831285650

Or this one?  eBay auction: #173532270063

Or this one?  eBay auction: #183743750805  :-DD

mnem
*Feeling acquisitive*
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:25:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31544 on: May 17, 2019, 07:32:39 pm »
Well, I've had a little bit of time to have a proper play with that HP3325A. I'm currently watching a 0.01Hz sine wave crawl across my scope. Rock solid all the way from 0.001 Hz to 20 MHz to better than 1 ppm frequency accuracy with a nice clean sine wave. The 20-60MHz output on the back is a bit ropey and un-sinewave like, but is still spot on frequency wise. Good waveforms on the triangle, square and ramps too. I haven't tried out the external amplitude modulation or phase modulation yet - I can't currently think what use I'd make of those except possibly for impromptu pirate radio on the AM band.

The built in sweep works well in both linear and log modes. It's got a 10V sweep control voltage output that you can use in XY mode with a scope (and a Z blank output too). That's presuming you have a scope with a decent XY mode, which basically implies an analogue scope, which I currently don't. Oh dear, looks like I need to buy one...

Two hundred sobs well spent I think, certainly better than anything new I could have got for twice the money. Oh, and a huge rarity here - all four feet complete with tilting bails.

For those of us that bought one of that batch of TTi TF930 frequency counters a year or two back I can now confirm that TTi's claim that the TF390 can measure down to below 0.001Hz is likely to be true - technically I've only tested it down to 0.001Hz but that worked just fine.

I am NOT going to be testing the HP 3325A's claim of producing a 1µHz sine wave as I don't have any sane way of measuring that. That's a zero crossing every 5 days, 47 minutes, 13 seconds and 333,333.33 µS. Couldn't even have a rough result until midweek, even if I started now.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31545 on: May 17, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »
It's true; I do need more fiber in my diet.  :P

I'd have thought that you got enough: knight's armour, lances, horses complete with tack, that sort of thing.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31546 on: May 17, 2019, 07:45:55 pm »

Like this one? eBay auction: #111831285650

Yep that's the one.

The following users thanked this post: URI

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31547 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:01 pm »

Stay single.  8)
One thing for sure then is that way at least you can get a real smile on your face more often, once married you then get that dreaded, "I've got a headache" line far too often  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31548 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:38 pm »

About halfway through my liver cheese & onion sandwich, I noticed a funny texture... :palm:

Keeping it TEA: Yes, that is the 10 x 0.10mm stranded wires in the $1.89 alligator wires from MPJA. I'm not worried; as they each take their turn being the "fusible element" in my electronic tinkery, I'll upgrade the remaining bits with better wire and eventually end up with 5 or 6 good ones. Until I burn the alligators and boots off of those, and start the cycle all over again.   >:D

mnem
It's the "Circle of Life", but with magic smoke and wrinkled-up-nose-face.  :-DD
Where's the onion gone???
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31549 on: May 17, 2019, 08:52:33 pm »
Well, I've had a little bit of time to have a proper play with that HP3325A. I'm currently watching a 0.01Hz sine wave crawl across my scope. Rock solid all the way from 0.001 Hz to 20 MHz to better than 1 ppm frequency accuracy with a nice clean sine wave. The 20-60MHz output on the back is a bit ropey and un-sinewave like, but is still spot on frequency wise. Good waveforms on the triangle, square and ramps too. I haven't tried out the external amplitude modulation or phase modulation yet - I can't currently think what use I'd make of those except possibly for impromptu pirate radio on the AM band.

The built in sweep works well in both linear and log modes. It's got a 10V sweep control voltage output that you can use in XY mode with a scope (and a Z blank output too). That's presuming you have a scope with a decent XY mode, which basically implies an analogue scope, which I currently don't. Oh dear, looks like I need to buy one...

Two hundred sobs well spent I think, certainly better than anything new I could have got for twice the money. Oh, and a huge rarity here - all four feet complete with tilting bails.

For those of us that bought one of that batch of TTi TF930 frequency counters a year or two back I can now confirm that TTi's claim that the TF390 can measure down to below 0.001Hz is likely to be true - technically I've only tested it down to 0.001Hz but that worked just fine.

I am NOT going to be testing the HP 3325A's claim of producing a 1µHz sine wave as I don't have any sane way of measuring that. That's a zero crossing every 5 days, 47 minutes, 13 seconds and 333,333.33 µS. Couldn't even have a rough result until midweek, even if I started now.
Yep, you got a good score for sure  :-+ I also concur with the TF930 counter, a very nice piece of kit that, it kick started my growing collection of TTi test gear, theres something warm and comforting about having some decent home grown test gear that actually lives up to its claims :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf