Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35808653 times)

0 Members and 1552 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32325 on: May 31, 2019, 12:20:45 am »
I didn't mean to win, honest!  :o

So there was this TDR 1502 on ebay. All the bits were there, and it had a trace in the photo. There was a single bid, of nine bucks, and I thought, well let's buy a ticket and see what happens. I use a sniping service, so I set a bid of 24USD and forgot about it.

I won the damn thing for 22.51USD. So now I have three TDRs. Maybe it is time for me to add a rule the router firewall.

Yup. That's the one I highlighted a few daze ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2441703/#msg2441703

Good to know SOMEBELLY wuz payin' atten-shun.  :-DD

TDRs are fun to play with. If the tunnel diodes on the 1502 aren't trashed, it will be a good buy. I can fix the two 1503s before deciding which to keep and which to sell to make space for some other fetish object. Or I could keep one of each to do both short and long cable tests. Not that I need to do that but you never know.  ;D

And why did they make them waterproof? They don't seem to be mil spec equipment otherwise.

   Telephony, RADAR Installations, CATV, Cellular, Marine Radio, ARPANET... ;) Guys troubleshooting that shit up on a tower, boom truck or down in a manhole can't wait for it to stop raining. Some of those holes, it never stops.  :o

Not sure how much underwater cabling they would expect to troubleshoot... but for sure you want a 'scope with focus divider voltage right behind the front panel to be immersion waterproof if you're going to use it in the rain or sea spray.  :-BROKE or worse.

This idea of getting more and more test equipment all the time is really putting a cramp on the room I have available. I can see that I will have TESLA syndrome really bad in the future if this keeps up. The addiction to TEA is powerful I don't know if I could ever overcome the withdrawal symptoms.

TESLA quickly resolves into JENGA. No problem.  :-DD

I've taken to having a "tidy bench policy". I've got a 12 way block under the bench and only get gear out I need to do a specific job now.
Same thing here. I have several pieces of gear on the bench that I use all the time. If I need anything else, I set it up and when I am done, take it down and put it away. My work area is too small to do anything else.

EDIT: And lest I sound a bit too self-satisfied about how neat and tidy I am, I should mention that the floor on one side of the workroom is strewn with components I am sorting, inventorying, and bagging. It looks like a bomb went off in the middle of a digikey warehouse.  :-DD

   Yeah, good luck widdat. My entire living room is occupied with dozens of 55L storage bins strewn from hell to breakfast right now.

Both couches, even the kids' play table.  |O  I'm trying to power through one major JENGA obstruction before both my kids are up my butt for the summer.  :scared:

mnem
RIDE THE WALRUS!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:33:35 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32326 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:11 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
And without a splinter under a fingernail or sawdust-filled sinuses! Woodwork be gone!
Remainder: the carpenter is called a car-penter because he leaves in his car after the work is done.
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32327 on: May 31, 2019, 12:33:15 am »
Whoa, Mnem, you have TEA far more than I realized.  You are a God among men. 

Lucky dog.  My wife would kill me in my sleep. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:39:56 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32328 on: May 31, 2019, 12:39:05 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
And without a splinter under a fingernail or sawdust-filled sinuses! Woodwork be gone!
Remainder: the carpenter is called a car-penter because he leaves in his car after the work is done.
I dunno. I like woodworking and metalwork.  There is a current woodwork project I expect to finish this weekend for something on the test bench.  Table saw, radial saw, router, and stain/poly work.  I'll  post it when done.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32329 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:27 am »
Whoa, Mnem, you have TEA far more than I realized.  You are a God among men. 

Lucky dog.  My wife would kill me in my sleep. 

Well, no. My wife would kill me if I didn't. This is part & parcel of the major hoeing-out for the move. There's everything in there from wiring sundries to gaming stuff to RC model aircraft and tools. She'll let me get away with it looking like this for a day or three at a time, but only because the crunch is on us. And it's not PMS time yet. When that time rolls around all bets are off; I just make myself scarce. ;)

mnem
*tinkerdwagon survival-skillz 101*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:42:31 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32330 on: May 31, 2019, 12:42:52 am »

   Telephony, RADAR Installations, CATV, Marine Radio, ARPANET... ;) Guys troubleshooting that shit up on a tower, boom truck or down in a manhole can't wait for it to stop raining. Some of those holes, it never stops.  :o

Not sure how much underwater cabling they would expect to troubleshoot... but for sure you want a 'scope with focus divider voltage right behind the front panel to be immersion waterproof if you're going to use it in the rain or sea spray.  :-BROKE

mnem
RIDE THE WALRUS!!!
I worked once with the local traffic control department (traffic lights, advisory displays, parking guidance system etc). Whenever there was a thunderstorm, a number of traffic lights failed. One generation of the installed systems was particularely troublesome. If you were alone (like at night or weekends, when the thunderstorms struck), the only possibility to get the invariably failed component removed without the remainder of the rack becoming soaked was to place yourself on the pavement face-up and reach under the frame with your hands above your head in order to release a catch. If you tried to do it blind, you faced the possibility of a shock and/or bruised fingers.

No pinnipedia were hurt or otherwise discomforted during the production of this post
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32331 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:43 am »
Ah, I get it. Temporary arrangement. 
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32332 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:53 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
And without a splinter under a fingernail or sawdust-filled sinuses! Woodwork be gone!
Remainder: the carpenter is called a car-penter because he leaves in his car after the work is done.

While I make no claims to being a decent carpenter or cabinetmaker I much prefer my benches made of wood. For several reasons but most of all they are in my living room and fit the decor much better. Industrial or metal benches just wouldn't look right. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32333 on: May 31, 2019, 12:54:32 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
.

You'd be surprised how quickly you fill it up. You see all that empty space under the long bench? No more. There's at least 5 scopes under there now and I'm running out of space.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32334 on: May 31, 2019, 12:55:53 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
And without a splinter under a fingernail or sawdust-filled sinuses! Woodwork be gone!
Remainder: the carpenter is called a car-penter because he leaves in his car after the work is done.

While I make no claims to being a decent carpenter or cabinetmaker I much prefer my benches made of wood. For several reasons but most of all they are in my living room and fit the decor much better. Industrial or metal benches just wouldn't look right.

I plan to have a room dedicated to it and not have it in the living room. I do agree that wood (if done well) looks better, but I'm choosing a bit of convenience in lieu of matching the decor.  :-DD

I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
.

You'd be surprised how quickly you fill it up. You see all that empty space under the long bench? No more. There's at least 5 scopes under there now and I'm running out of space.  :-//

Oh I know...stuff expands to fill the space. That's why I won't be getting a warehouse anytime soon.   :-DD
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32335 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:36 am »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
And without a splinter under a fingernail or sawdust-filled sinuses! Woodwork be gone!
Remainder: the carpenter is called a car-penter because he leaves in his car after the work is done.
I dunno. I like woodworking and metalwork.  There is a current woodwork project I expect to finish this weekend for something on the test bench.  Table saw, radial saw, router, and stain/poly work.  I'll  post it when done.

I got something in the works too.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32336 on: May 31, 2019, 12:58:44 am »
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in  loving rc planes. 
I wrote this a few years ago of my enjoyment of that hobby.


http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/6780895-why-i-want-build-kits-again-just-old-fart-story.html
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32337 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:08 am »
Ah, I get it. Temporary arrangement. 
Oh, yeah.  :-+

Sure, I'm a bachelor-grade slob left to my own devices; like any single male I'd fall into those old habits faster than you can say dumptown shave-denial syndrome.  :-DD

But parenthood kindof crystallizes the more adult need to prevent insectia and rodentia from overrunning the childrens' sleeping quarters and such, where such need never was so obvious before.  :o

mnem
I have become an egghead of convenience in my old age, however. I shave it when it gets long enough to need brushing.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32338 on: May 31, 2019, 01:06:22 am »
Ah, I get it. Temporary arrangement. 
Oh, yeah.  :-+

Sure, I'm a bachelor-grade slob left to my own devices; like any single male I'd fall into those old habits faster than you can say dumptown shave-denial syndrome.  :-DD

But parenthood kindof crystallizes the more adult need to prevent insectia and rodentia from overrunning the childrens' sleeping quarters and such, where such need never was so obvious before.  :o

mnem
I have become an egghead of convenience in my old age, however. I shave it when it gets long enough to need brushing.  >:D

Remember "The Odd Couple"? Well....I'm Felix but no where near as neurotic and not getting over a divorce. But messy makes me go ape shit.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32339 on: May 31, 2019, 01:46:51 am »
@med, I think you benches look pretty dammed good if I'm honest and I'd love to have that much bench space to play with, and I'd love to know what those 2 model planes are, they look like they might be Mosquitos?  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 
The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32340 on: May 31, 2019, 02:19:47 am »
They look like a P-38 lightning and a H-111.

Edit:  closer look, yeah, you're right.  The back one is  A Mosquito.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:24:22 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32341 on: May 31, 2019, 02:28:55 am »
Yep.....P-38 and Mosquito. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Carl_Smith

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 288
  • Country: us
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32342 on: May 31, 2019, 02:47:57 am »
Enjoying my morning Folger's Columbian with no sugar and half and half. If you don't have half and half over there is half whole milk and half cream.

Every time I hear "half and half" it makes me think of this:

Offline Cubdriver

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 4201
  • Country: us
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32343 on: May 31, 2019, 03:23:01 am »
Imagine this, but with a greater density of stuff, and most of that stuff being old HP and Tek test gear:



-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32344 on: May 31, 2019, 03:31:18 am »
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in  loving rc planes. 
I wrote this a few years ago of my enjoyment of that hobby.


http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/6780895-why-i-want-build-kits-again-just-old-fart-story.html

   Great story.  :-+ This is my baby when I fly planks: That's right, Launchpad McQuack is my spirit animal. :-DD     and this is my beater.       Though I also, of course, have a Cub.

They've mostly been shelved since I moved away from my club, and so far I haven't found a new club that isn't all just geriatric old buzzards with no respect for rotary-wing craft. If my helis & quads aren't good enough to fly with ya, neither am I.

   Too bad you're so far away... I have an 80" Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee I bought as a project a few years ago but never got around to fixing the smashed tailfeathers. It needs a new home before I move.

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:34:08 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32345 on: May 31, 2019, 03:37:45 am »



There is no cure.  :-DD

Edit...I also have an entire walk-in closet full of parts and parts mules.

That's a pretty nice setup. Especially the walk in closet part.  ;D


Yup. That's the one I highlighted a few daze ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2441703/#msg2441703

Good to know SOMEBELLY wuz payin' atten-shun.  :-DD

Yeah, it was more like subliminal suggestion because I wasn't really paying attention.

Quote
   Telephony, RADAR Installations, CATV, Cellular, Marine Radio, ARPANET... ;) Guys troubleshooting that shit up on a tower, boom truck or down in a manhole can't wait for it to stop raining. Some of those holes, it never stops.  :o

Not sure why I didn't think of this myself. Yeesh.  :-//

Quote
   Yeah, good luck widdat. My entire living room is occupied with dozens of 55L storage bins strewn from hell to breakfast right now.

Both couches, even the kids' play table.  |O  I'm trying to power through one major JENGA obstruction before both my kids are up my butt for the summer.  :scared:

That is a serious amount of binning. How many will there be when you are done?
specialization is for insects.
 

Offline GregDunn

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 731
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32346 on: May 31, 2019, 05:32:16 am »
GregDunn...remember this guy? He made bold claims and but so far he hasn't delivered the goods.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/msg2438619/#msg2438619

Well, to be fair, according to the forum he posts 0.02 times per day and it's only been less than a week.   :-DD
 

Offline nfmax

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1687
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32347 on: May 31, 2019, 07:24:02 am »
Yep.....P-38 and Mosquito.
My father flew Mossies. We visited Salisbury Hall for a special event for Mossie aircrew a few years ago. Loads of people in their 80's & 90's standing under the nose hatch and asking 'did we really used to be able to climb up in there?'
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32348 on: May 31, 2019, 07:51:19 am »
The last flying UK mossie I rememberer seeing at the Southend annual (or used to be) airshow many years ago and I hope that someday we might get another one airworthy and flying at airshows, a very capable aircraft.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32349 on: May 31, 2019, 08:04:26 am »
The last flying UK mossie I rememberer seeing at the Southend annual (or used to be) airshow many years ago and I hope that someday we might get another one airworthy and flying at airshows, a very capable aircraft.

I think it's almost criminal that the UK has no flyable Mossie's. There are several flying in other parts such as here and I think in Canada, NZ, and perhaps in Aus. Part of the problem is it's greatest strength....being made of plywood.....is it's biggest downfall because the plywood rots. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->