Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35755803 times)

0 Members and 1491 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33500 on: June 21, 2019, 05:06:03 pm »
Sometimes you don't realize how bad your addiction really is. Last year I had zero 7000 Series plug-ins. Now I have 11. 12 if you count the parts mule in the closet. Kinda creeps up on you.  :-DD

I've made a decision to stay well away from Tek 7k series. They are big, have internal edge connectors that get used or dirty, and for the most part the plugins are unexciting. (I really don't want to see any decent TDR plugins).

I have too many voltmeters and TDRs.

There's a couple of calibrators I would like, but of the ones available ATM, I don't entirely trust one, and the other calibrators would destroy my back and possibly floors.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33501 on: June 21, 2019, 06:24:35 pm »
The CRT is out. Lots of filth in here and opportunity for arcing and corona. Notice the tape around the bell of the CRT and partially over the anode connection. All that shit is going bye-bye. The cable is filthy too and I found at least two "bumpy" spots indicating where HV might be arcing out.



Inside the CRT shield. Holy shit, what a mess. Needs a complete clean up.



Looks like I got my work cut out for me.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33502 on: June 21, 2019, 07:13:08 pm »
Hmm. Should I or shouldn't I?  :-DD

@xrunner: this is your fault after that Drake - have about ten different vintage HF things on my watch list now  :-DD



Also yes panaplex :)
 
The following users thanked this post: kj7e, mnementh

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33503 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:06 pm »
Classic SB-104....go for it!  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33504 on: June 21, 2019, 07:17:24 pm »
Even better it's an A, so they worked out all the bugs by then!

Edit: only thing is it hasn't got the CW filter or 30m and I mostly operate CW on 30m! :(

Edit 2: ok idea binned. The finals are $170 a set if it's fucked and it's hyper-sensitive to SWR problems apparently  :--
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:36:23 pm by bd139 »
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33505 on: June 21, 2019, 07:29:34 pm »
OK.....things are nice and clean with nothing more than 100% IPA. Decided to leave that tape in place. It's securing some sort of metal shield around the CRT to the ground point on the bottom. I saw no evidence of carbon tracking in that area but it sometimes can be hard to spot. The HV cable cleaned up really well and I carefully checked it for nicks or blow outs from arcing. When I reinstall it I'm thinking of additional sleeving where it goes thru the CRT shield.

Going to let this sit overnight before reinstall. Just before I install it hit the anode cap and cable with heat from a blow dryer. I also managed with the A/C to knock the R/H down from 69% to 55%. It also stopped raining and the sun is finally out and supposed to be clear for the next few days.

   
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7954
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33506 on: June 21, 2019, 07:45:57 pm »
Hmm. Should I or shouldn't I?  :-DD

@xrunner: this is your fault after that Drake - have about ten different vintage HF things on my watch list now  :-DD



Also yes panaplex :)

A no-brainer!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 
The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33507 on: June 21, 2019, 08:18:44 pm »
Hmm. Should I or shouldn't I?  :-DD

@xrunner: this is your fault after that Drake - have about ten different vintage HF things on my watch list now  :-DD



Also yes panaplex :)

oh yes, definitely go for it!  >:D

btw, if you find one of those that needs a set of finals, i have a matched set of the CD2664As in the original packaging. just sayin'  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:20:41 pm by wch »
specialization is for insects.
 
The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33508 on: June 21, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »
Enabler!!! 🤣

mnem
*Said one enabler to another* 😈
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33509 on: June 21, 2019, 08:45:47 pm »
Thanks all for the encouragement! It's not like I came here to get my mind made up  8)  :-DD :-DD
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33510 on: June 21, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
OK.....things are nice and clean with nothing more than 100% IPA. Decided to leave that tape in place. It's securing some sort of metal shield around the CRT to the ground point on the bottom. I saw no evidence of carbon tracking in that area but it sometimes can be hard to spot. The HV cable cleaned up really well and I carefully checked it for nicks or blow outs from arcing. When I reinstall it I'm thinking of additional sleeving where it goes thru the CRT shield.

Going to let this sit overnight before reinstall. Just before I install it hit the anode cap and cable with heat from a blow dryer. I also managed with the A/C to knock the R/H down from 69% to 55%. It also stopped raining and the sun is finally out and supposed to be clear for the next few days.


Looks a lot better now, med.

If it's anything like high-end monitor CRTs, the tape is there to keep the aquadag from getting scratched up when mounting or dismounting the tube. This can alter the capacitance of the tube locally and as an assembly, affecting alignment & linearity.

mnem
*Currently sitting in the cell phone waiting lot at IAH* 😝
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33511 on: June 21, 2019, 09:19:36 pm »
Enabler!!! 🤣

mnem
*Said one enabler to another* 😈

Positive feedback loop...loop...loop...loolooloo...llllllll
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7954
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33512 on: June 21, 2019, 09:30:50 pm »
Positive feedback loop...loop...loop...loolooloo...llllllll

bd139 had probably already self-enabled anyway. He just asked us because he knows we love to feel empowered. I think that was very nice of him.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33513 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:56 pm »
Hahaha. I was trying to convince myself on this one. I was hoping peer pressure would resolve it.

Soooo ... finishes on ebay sunday morning. Buyer collects from "London". Wish me luck!

I'll probably be at Newbury radio rally if it doesn't piss down so if someone sees someone on their knees in tears, it's probably me and I didn't win it  :-DD

This is one rather nice line up as well. I'll have to collect the matching power supply, VFO etc :)



Shame they didn't do an ATU in the same enclosures.
 
The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7954
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33514 on: June 21, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
Man that's some really nice kit. I can't wait to see the innards.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33515 on: June 21, 2019, 10:00:27 pm »
Wow, now you show us what you're really getting into. Very nice, indeed.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33516 on: June 21, 2019, 10:03:13 pm »
Fingers crossed. After all this I'll lose it :(

Seems to go well with Drakes as well

 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33517 on: June 21, 2019, 10:06:02 pm »
Holy bench warmers, Batman!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33518 on: June 21, 2019, 10:55:10 pm »
Gee.....how many rigs does one need?

Ahem....how many scopes and DMM's do I have?


NEVERMIND!  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33519 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »
Enabler!!! 🤣

mnem
*Said one enabler to another* 😈
Positive feedback loop...loop...loop...loolooloo...llllllll
bd139 had probably already self-enabled anyway. He just asked us because he knows we love to feel empowered. I think that was very nice of him.  :-DD

RFcursion... it's what's for dinner.  :-DD (That WAS a typo... but I decided to leave it because it SO fits.) :P

Fingers crossed. After all this I'll lose it :(      Seems to go well with Drakes as well

RFCURSION³!!! :-DD

mnem
*Currently having a brief but sordid affair with a perfectly ripe avocado*
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:05:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Offline syau

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
  • Country: hk
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33520 on: June 21, 2019, 11:54:25 pm »
For those that know about Inverted18650, I finally got an email from him today:

-
Thanks brotha. I won’t be “well” any time soon but I am trying to stay positive.

Selling everything here to help with bills to come and if I come through this, I’ll give it another go in a few years.

Prost and thank you for the kindness
-
 
The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, bitseeker, med6753, kj7e, mnementh, beanflying, GregDunn, grbk

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7954
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33521 on: June 22, 2019, 12:02:38 am »
Gee.....how many rigs does one need?

Ahem....how many scopes and DMM's do I have?


NEVERMIND!  :-DD

Ya, that would have been a major slipup if you hadn't corrected yourself.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33522 on: June 22, 2019, 12:34:16 am »
For those that know about Inverted18650, I finally got an email from him today:


Thanks for the update, syau. I guess you're the special one. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33523 on: June 22, 2019, 12:37:45 am »
OK, folks. How about some Nixie calibration fun? My old and not yet cleaned up Fluke 8100A with oxidized switches!

7.0456V, 9.999590V, 1.000kΩ and 10.000kΩ.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:41:44 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 
The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, hwj-d, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7954
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33524 on: June 22, 2019, 12:55:22 am »
Oh nice! And it's reading pretty accurately too. That's going to be quite a nice piece of TEA for your collection. :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 
The following users thanked this post: bitseeker


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->