Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15514969 times)

krasnopol and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52325 on: March 15, 2020, 04:51:09 pm »
Will PM my ebay list to you. Please don't post it on here :)

It's mostly crap I've been hoarding from hamfests to make some coin  :-DD

Out of curiosity, why don't you post the list in the "for sale" section? What have you got to lose (apart from paying commission)?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52326 on: March 15, 2020, 04:59:23 pm »
I think he doesn't want everyone to see the My Little Pony (BNIB) stuff
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52327 on: March 15, 2020, 05:02:19 pm »
I'd run a mile from both  :-DD

It does look the part though. Nice bit of design that has aged well.
Ohh, I like my 7150 plus meters, with their now nicely lit LCD displays, but I do prefer the nice green glow of the Fluke 8842's better  :-DD

Gee whiz, I go out shopping for an hour and come back and there's 2 whole pages added, better get reading I had then.....  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52328 on: March 15, 2020, 05:11:24 pm »
Out of curiosity, why don't you post the list in the "for sale" section? What have you got to lose (apart from paying commission)?

Mostly the difficulty in managing more than one sales channel and the international audience here (thus requiring futzing with CN22 declarations etc). Not only that it isn't the best audience for some of the items that I sell which are mostly amateur radio related.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52329 on: March 15, 2020, 05:11:36 pm »
But but but... starburst VFDs!!!   :-DD
Tend to agree with you but buggy ASIC's no thanks.

The meter was working fine. Specs are similar to the HP 34401a. The bug was really hard to reproduce but it was a liability for the company. Apparently, the cost of creating a new ASIC to fix the problem was just too much. They decided to simply recall the meter.
Still a massive expense when I can get 7150's for less then 1/3 of the cost for the broadly similar capability, nice display though
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52330 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
Yes the 7150 is nice. I need to rearrange my whole corner though to use it.

The one thing that really annoys me is the rear power switch.

I'm planning to move the TTi 1906 up next to the 8840, since they both have front switches and there's no access to the rear in that spot.
The 7150 will go alongside the 1905, both stacked on top of the 7075 and 7065, with the Black Star 4503, sig gen, and 3210MP on top of the whole pile.
I should be able to reach all the rear power switches in this set up...   :phew:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52331 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:51 pm »

But you do. Ohhh Kaaay....
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52332 on: March 15, 2020, 05:14:44 pm »

But you do. Ohhh Kaaay....

Neigh!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52333 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:11 pm »
But but but... starburst VFDs!!!   :-DD
Tend to agree with you but buggy ASIC's no thanks.

The meter was working fine. Specs are similar to the HP 34401a. The bug was really hard to reproduce but it was a liability for the company. Apparently, the cost of creating a new ASIC to fix the problem was just too much. They decided to simply recall the meter.
Still a massive expense when I can get 7150's for less then 1/3 of the cost for the broadly similar capability, nice display though

From memory, the specs are better on the 7063 and has more features. At 200$ I would be tempted but more than that I prefer a HP 34401a.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52334 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:48 pm »

Mostly the difficulty in managing more than one sales channel and the international audience here (thus requiring futzing with CN22 declarations etc). Not only that it isn't the best audience for some of the items that I sell which are mostly amateur radio related.

Well, this could be your only (for now) channel, you could state UK only - but the latter point is difficult to argue against.

Having said that, I've only used fleabay and gumtree, not here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52335 on: March 15, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »

Well, this could be your only (for now) channel, you could state UK only - but the latter point is difficult to argue against.

Having said that, I've only used fleabay and gumtree, not here.

I occasionally sell stuff on here. It's usually more hassle. On ebay you just wait until someone presses "give this man money" and then print a postage label out (semi automated) and throw it at the local post office or wait for UPS to show up. If you advertise something on here you have to manage a stream of different PMs etc which is problematic generally.

Edit: to note if you wait for "£1 listing day" it works out cost effective then with the commission versus effort balancing out. I don't mind paying ebay to take a lot of the hassle away from me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:26:23 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52336 on: March 15, 2020, 05:26:46 pm »

This is why. Even when y'all get wasted and let it all hang out in the middle of the street, there's a certain artfulness to it. ;)

mnem
I'm all out of "pithy".
Everytime I see that picture (or rather the photo it was derived from) I can't help but think it was staged. I have personally never seen it anywhere near as bad as the scene makes it out to be.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52337 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:48 pm »

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  :-DD

Send me your list plz... just the MLP stuff, tho.  :-DD

mnem
You all thought it. I just SAID it.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52338 on: March 15, 2020, 05:31:49 pm »
You're obviously far too genteel Specmaster.

Dagnabbit, too many people are after the same thing as me   >:(  the price is rapidly approaching abort mission levels, and there's still nearly 2 hours to go!   |O

Wow, do you live in a post office BD139? My item is posted already and I only paid for it 10 minutes ago!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52339 on: March 15, 2020, 05:32:50 pm »
int thinks we are both posh twats.  (not sure if she qualifies....she did spend her childhood in some swampy area near a river.......think it is called "london")

The swampy bit is called Essex, not London.

I'm always amused at the way the average 'merkin thinks the English are 'posh' just 'cause we can talk proper. Meeting me (and I suspect my fellow traveller bd139) would quickly disabuse any US citizen of the notion that the English are posh. Of course I may be wrong, I have heard of some places in your country that one suspects might make Southend-on-Sea or Staines look positively sophisticated but I suspect it is the exaggerations of disillusioned and jaded ex-patriots.

Innit fam.

I'll take that as confirmation that, as I expected, we's both 'common as muck', innit.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52340 on: March 15, 2020, 05:34:26 pm »
Yes the 7150 is nice. I need to rearrange my whole corner though to use it.

The one thing that really annoys me is the rear power switch.

I'm planning to move the TTi 1906 up next to the 8840, since they both have front switches and there's no access to the rear in that spot.
The 7150 will go alongside the 1905, both stacked on top of the 7075 and 7065, with the Black Star 4503, sig gen, and 3210MP on top of the whole pile.
I should be able to reach all the rear power switches in this set up...   :phew:

Yeh, those rear mounted power switches are a PITA to be sure, I've got 4 of those in my stack but solved the problem nicely by putting them on a WIFI switch and switch via my Alexa Echo speaker, so she is usefully employed  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52341 on: March 15, 2020, 05:35:54 pm »

I occasionally sell stuff on here. It's usually more hassle. On ebay you just wait until someone presses "give this man money" and then print a postage label out (semi automated) and throw it at the local post office or wait for UPS to show up. If you advertise something on here you have to manage a stream of different PMs etc which is problematic generally.

Well gee, I'm sorry to hear that our transaction a few months ago was so problematic to you.  ::)

J/K......couldn't let that slide by.  :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52342 on: March 15, 2020, 05:39:20 pm »

Well gee, I'm sorry to hear that our transaction a few months ago was so problematic to you.  ::)

J/K......couldn't let that slide by.  :-DD :-DD

Hahaha it’s not you. You were an easy one  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52343 on: March 15, 2020, 05:41:02 pm »
int thinks we are both posh twats.  (not sure if she qualifies....she did spend her childhood in some swampy area near a river.......think it is called "london")

The swampy bit is called Essex, not London.

I'm always amused at the way the average 'merkin thinks the English are 'posh' just 'cause we can talk proper. Meeting me (and I suspect my fellow traveller bd139) would quickly disabuse any US citizen of the notion that the English are posh. Of course I may be wrong, I have heard of some places in your country that one suspects might make Southend-on-Sea or Staines look positively sophisticated but I suspect it is the exaggerations of disillusioned and jaded ex-patriots.

Innit fam.

I'll take that as confirmation that, as I expected, we's both 'common as muck', innit.
That maybe, but we still love you, warts and everything  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52344 on: March 15, 2020, 05:42:24 pm »
Someone posted a question in beginners, not sure if it's a troll post or not.

I tried to answer it as if it were a genuine question... "connecting to 0 volts"
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52345 on: March 15, 2020, 05:45:11 pm »
Yeh, I've answered a few like that as well, they did turn out to be trolls.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52346 on: March 15, 2020, 05:49:41 pm »
Someone posted a question in beginners, not sure if it's a troll post or not.

I tried to answer it as if it were a genuine question... "connecting to 0 volts"

Probably not, over the years I've had to sort out a lot of people's misconceptions around ground, earth, common, and  0V. Also about voltage in general - a lot of people seem to think about volts in the same way as if 'feet height' always meant 'feet height above mean sea level'.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52347 on: March 15, 2020, 05:58:13 pm »

This is why. Even when y'all get wasted and let it all hang out in the middle of the street, there's a certain artfulness to it. ;)

mnem
I'm all out of "pithy".
Everytime I see that picture (or rather the photo it was derived from) I can't help but think it was staged. I have personally never seen it anywhere near as bad as the scene makes it out to be.

You’re hanging out in the wrong kind of wrong places  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52348 on: March 15, 2020, 05:59:56 pm »
The bad blood and backhandness doesn't surprise me when dealing with the fat egos on both sides.

I can definitely see and I'm sure there would be no issue with modifying code to accommodate unique British weapons systems. The plane wouldn't be any good if it wasn't. But changing the source code on flight parameters, etc? I would think that stuff would be locked down and encrypted. Because do it wrong and it becomes a lawn dart.  :scared:
Some people here have weird ideas about ownership. Not to mention there are qualified people on this side of the pound. Well, as qualified at least. ;D If it's yours it's yours to break. If you worry about people breaking your product in dangerous ways you'd better make sure they don't have to improvise.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:11:03 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52349 on: March 15, 2020, 06:02:55 pm »
Oh man, half a day through and there are four more pages.   |O

I worked a bit on the power distribution of my bench rack I showed its back side on the #teatime channel yesterday:
949782-0

I ordered an eight-fold 19"/1HE switching panel with IEC outputs for completing the power distribution inside my new rack.
After some metal work it's now located vertically in the back of the rack space for my 1/2 19" instruments. All wiring is done using 0.5m IEC to IEC cords (the pics are of lousy quality but they show the idea..):
949766-1
949770-2

Power is now distributed with the shown eight-fold 19"/1HE switching panel and three six-fold multiple socket outlets with individually switchable outlets. That's enough for the rack space available.   :)

I tested a bit what power my bench draws with this switched on:
- all power supplies and the electronic load, drawing 200W power from one of the supplies
- all DMMs
- all counters
- all signal generators
- all soldering/desoldering stations
- crt oscilloscope
- all power meters
- the signature analyser
- the precision voltage/current source
- all lights switched on

This is how it looks like (again crappy photo due to smartphone cam and bad light conditions):
949774-3

Quick check if there are not too many Watts drawn through the single 1.5mm2 line coming from the wall outlet:
949778-4

Ok, there's headroom.   :phew:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:09:29 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic, 6h8c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf