Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15600079 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57025 on: April 27, 2020, 12:45:32 pm »
I went out for a kit to do something useful and visited https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/
when I stumbled across their current special offer which is free access to their online training material
https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/are-you-grounded-because-of-covid-19-flight-restrictions-we-have-a-solution/

maybe someone is interested. If not: no discussions please, just move on, nothing to see here ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57026 on: April 27, 2020, 12:57:44 pm »
There is a reason why this thread in the forum is growing rapidly and that reason I believe is because we don't have strict rules and is a very relaxed, friendly place to be and can be very entertaining and informative as long as we have open minds.  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Sing Kumbaya everyone!

(Attachment Link)

Interesting topic: check
friendly place: check
bizarre humor: check
congenial folks: check
different views and opinions, which is the basis of interesting discussions: check

Man, we do have here a very good place. Let's have a drink and talk about the great things we're going to do.
Like in this song (I like it a bit more than Kumbaya  ;) ):

https://youtu.be/QO9A9u4GyGc
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57027 on: April 27, 2020, 01:11:34 pm »
There is a reason why this thread in the forum is growing rapidly and that reason I believe is because we don't have strict rules and is a very relaxed, friendly place to be and can be very entertaining and informative as long as we have open minds. 

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Sing Kumbaya everyone!

I'm TRYING! But my fucking guitar isn't HERE yet!!!  :-DD

mnem
My non-fucking guitar is right over there, but it isn't NEARLY as much fun. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57028 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:12 pm »
I went out for a kit to do something useful and visited https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/
when I stumbled across their current special offer which is free access to their online training material
https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/are-you-grounded-because-of-covid-19-flight-restrictions-we-have-a-solution/   maybe someone is interested. If not: no discussions please, just move on, nothing to see here ...

Heh... lookit the fine print at the end: "Anyone who successfully finishes an on-line training course will receive a voucher for a free demo flight in one of our aircraft at your closest Pipistrel distributor’s location all over the World, valid until the end of September 2020."

Really... much better than the usual "free dinner over real-estate discussion" deals...  :-+

mnem
*taxiing towards the runway* "Hold onto your butts..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57029 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:48 pm »
there is still the dead x99 board with a blown VRM or mosfet that I cannot use because it was a doa and I don't have any spares ... which is a major pain. I wanted to rebuild my everyday puter and I wanted to use X99 ...

Is that why your attention drifted towards hot-air rework gear...?   >:D

mnem
"I like the way this girl thinks." ~ grand-dad

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57030 on: April 27, 2020, 01:32:24 pm »
https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/are-you-grounded-because-of-covid-19-flight-restrictions-we-have-a-solution/   maybe someone is interested. If not: no discussions please, just move on, nothing to see here ...

Heh... lookit the fine print at the end: "Anyone who successfully finishes an on-line training course will receive a voucher for a free demo flight in one of our aircraft at your closest Pipistrel distributor’s location all over the World, valid until the end of September 2020."

Really... much better than the usual "free dinner over real-estate discussion" deals...  :-+

mnem
*taxiing towards the runway* "Hold onto your butts..."
As always in these things, there's always a BUT in it somewhere, just when you think someone is actually doing something nice for a change  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57031 on: April 27, 2020, 01:47:39 pm »
You're saying that as if it were a bad thing.  :-DD

I dunno about you, but I for one would much rather listen to someone try and sell me a plane while flying in it... especially knowing there's no way in hell I could POSSIBLY swing the paper...  >:D  than listen to someone similarly try to sell me real estate while grinding through overcooked bulk-pack marinated flank steak and crappy wine.

mnem
 :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:57:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57032 on: April 27, 2020, 01:48:44 pm »
I love you man. I really do. But if you and Oculus are going to start being fucking topic nazis and threaten to ragequit every time a topic comes up, then please, don't let the screen door hit ya on yer way out.

Seriously. You've both turned into prickly bastards, getting your hackles up any time anything even remotely topical comes up; I'm tired of walking on eggshells. You are being too easily bothered, and that's the short of it.

Now either put on yer big boy pants and deal, or have some popcorn & TEA.

mnem
 :popcorn:
At least we have a magic word to make the complaints go away. I'm COnVIDent we won't have to resort to that.   :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57033 on: April 27, 2020, 01:53:00 pm »
Will you please go find something else to do besides trolling in here?

mnem
 :palm:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:57:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57034 on: April 27, 2020, 01:59:36 pm »
there is still the dead x99 board with a blown VRM or mosfet that I cannot use because it was a doa and I don't have any spares ... which is a major pain. I wanted to rebuild my everyday puter and I wanted to use X99 ...

Is that why your attention drifted towards hot-air rework gear...?   >:D

mnem
"I like the way this girl thinks." ~ grand-dad

Nope. I have my preheater, my Quick 861 DW, my Hakko 2032 Micropencil and my Weller WMRP all sitting here. Plus the microscope. I am waiting for the seller to either take it back or fix it, basically because I think that it is his job, not mine.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57035 on: April 27, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »
to be honest, I have very seriously considered buying a pipistrel, because it would be just f*ing great for commuting.
I have an airfield 15 minutes from my workplace and one 15 minutes from home and it's 400 km straight to get home instead of 500 km with a car. So after doing the math and a lot of evaluations (of my bank account and my health to get my medical) the project is currently on ice. If I had won the lottery I would most likely be cruising in a DA62.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57036 on: April 27, 2020, 02:17:58 pm »

mnem
Oh, lighten up.  ::)  I know we're all off our game but we don't have to prove it all the time.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57037 on: April 27, 2020, 02:19:03 pm »
to be honest, I have very seriously considered buying a pipistrel, because it would be just f*ing great for commuting.
I have an airfield 15 minutes from my workplace and one 15 minutes from home and it's 400 km straight to get home instead of 500 km with a car. So after doing the math and a lot of evaluations (of my bank account and my health to get my medical) the project is currently on ice. If I had won the lottery I would most likely be cruising in a DA62.
Don't tell me have a 500 km daily commute. I guess you don't do that every day?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57038 on: April 27, 2020, 02:24:20 pm »
OK, I'm out of here until May at the earliest.

Enjoy yourselves.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57039 on: April 27, 2020, 02:31:00 pm »
no I don't, it's weekly. But I digress.

Battery spill repair - of any interest ?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #57040 on: April 27, 2020, 02:31:24 pm »

... was once thinking in the same direction, but with a non-IFR aircraft there are way too many days where you cannot fly. If you live in a city, there is no landing space. In total, you dont save much time (Planning, preflght, maintenance, ...). Small planes are not really fast. Cost: car*5 in a reasonably plane. Chopper: *10. Summary: forget it.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57041 on: April 27, 2020, 02:45:29 pm »
a tiny restoration project.
Battery leakage.

Hey now, hey now now, sing this corrosion to me ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57042 on: April 27, 2020, 02:47:07 pm »
corrosion here, corrosion there, corrosion everywhere ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57043 on: April 27, 2020, 02:56:24 pm »
and hiding under the solder mask. Nasty.

Obviously the first step is to remove the affected components and neutralize the caustic ...

I usually use 25% vinegar acid and wait until the bubbling stops (which is an indication of the reaction having finished).
When done, the pcb goes into the ultrasonic. Solder mask is removed with a fiberglass pen, any caustic that has crept under the solder mask can be discovered and any hidden corrosion can be removed.

Then it's repairing traces and redoing those little through holes and the contacts ...
A Bungard press is great for that.

After several hours of work the board was back in operations ...

Tools used: scalpel, fiberglass pen, soldering iron and desoldering station, ultrasonic, neutralizing agent (vinegar acid), compressed air, very fine copper wire, bungard press, DMM (for continuity checks), Oscilloscope (for checking the signals at the probe points and I/Os)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57044 on: April 27, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »
OK, I'm out of here until May at the earliest.

:( 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57045 on: April 27, 2020, 03:15:52 pm »
Edit: fuck, have run out of coffee  :--. Monday sucks so far.

To misquote Lady Bracknell:

“Running out of tea, Mr. BD139, may be regarded as a misfortune; to run out of coffee looks like carelessness.”
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57046 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »
... because I have zero interest in explosives, ...

Coo, somebody must have had a dull childhood!  :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57047 on: April 27, 2020, 03:25:10 pm »
Sing Kumbaya everyone!

(Attachment Link)

Step away from the cuddly toy acoustic guitar!

If I hear the strains of "Streets of London" or "Stairway to Heaven" I may have to drop in on Saskia for some of the exothermic 'good stuff'!

:)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57048 on: April 27, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

mnem
Oh, lighten up.  ::)  I know we're all off our game but we don't have to prove it all the time.

Take a look at your recent message history. No, that's okay; I'll wait. ::) You're trolling.

mnem
Again. :palm:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:33:36 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57049 on: April 27, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »
quick addendum, but I guess y'all know that: when I have corroded PCBs I like to use a lot of Amtech NC 559 flux and a hot air station to reflow the solder.
Makes it tremendously easier to remove. Also, through hole components can be removed a lot easier with hot air than with a desoldering gun (at least that is my observation). Care must be taken though not to heat up the board too much, otherwise the traces will just curl off and disintegrate ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf