'twer the die that survived, Sir Dragon, and 'twas the tube that collapsed.
Reminds me of a, hmm let me think of the correct terminology here... nope, can't use any of the words I'd like or I'd be censored.
One former sparky and now Health and Safety Enforcement Officer in our Empire of Metropolitan Mediocrity had, and for all I know still has, "Electrical Guru" as a subtitle on his business cards (name withheld to protect the witless).
Said electrical guru once wasted half a day trying to cut a thread onto some 25mm PLASTIC conduit.
He insisted it could be done, despite advice to the contrary, and after destroying a length and a half of tubing (they come in 3m lengths, and the work-piece was around 200mm) simply left the job for someone else and pretended he was simply too busy to do it.
The person that finished the job probably (I don't know, it wasn't me) just used a 25mm metal nipple (that's what they're called, don't blame me) to adapt between the whatever it was the guru was trying to connect.
Incidentally, it is usually possible to cut a thread onto a 20mm plastic tube, due to the walls being proportionally much thicker.