Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544768 times)

marcumr, Peter_O and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71550 on: October 08, 2020, 10:40:20 pm »
That's a punishment I could get behind  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71551 on: October 08, 2020, 11:04:28 pm »
I go looking for some cheap MOSFETs, figuring I'd replace that dragon-sized one in my 3DP with a IRFZ44
Where exactely you put them? To drive the hot bed?

I bodged one of these...         ...in place of the hotend HEATER FET right in the middle of this board.

I'll leave the result to your imagination.

mnem

Crime undone.  :phew:   Bonus: It even works!  :-DD

We can take my name off of Electronica's Most Wanted list now... right...?

mnem
ummm... right...?  :-\
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 11:06:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #71552 on: October 08, 2020, 11:08:59 pm »
ummm... right...?  :-\

The jury's still out....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71553 on: October 08, 2020, 11:11:19 pm »
That's a punishment I could get behind  :popcorn:

I dunno... we're talking aboot MBAs here. That might be like nekkid Jello wrestling to them...  :o

mnem
Ifni knows they ain't human.  :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71554 on: October 09, 2020, 01:22:54 am »
still need to dive thru that haul from  2 weeks or so ago
There should be a lot of mosfets in there ...

oh great joy of inventorizing the stuff.

Any of you with an idea for inventory mgmt ?
I'm still using a ubiquitous spreadsheet software.
It came with my Office.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #71555 on: October 09, 2020, 01:37:30 am »
OK, pretty crap TE but a quick TE fix for me, some chinesium TE - battery tester.
Was not impressed with the connector! How much current can they handle - not much BUT was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the clamp is of a Kelvin type 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #71556 on: October 09, 2020, 02:19:57 am »
On the bench tonight, I pulled another Tek P6042 current probe out of the closet. I have four of them...one which is known-good, with a repaired cable, and calibrated, that is in service. Another which is definitely bad, with broken wires in the probe cable at the very least, and then two more I have accumulated at property auctions. This particular example was showing symptoms of not working. When you set it up, there was a large, permanent ~7 Vdc offset present that could not be controlled and the probe locked light was not coming on. I disassembled the probe and beeped out all the conductors, which were fine. And amazingly enough, the problem was something to do with the probe because after re-assembly it started working right. And it agrees with my in service P6042! That probe is the top trace and the just-fixed one is the bottom trace, in the pic.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, FransW, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71557 on: October 09, 2020, 02:26:41 am »
And last, but most certainly not least, where the magic happens in the P6042. These things must be treated like Fabergé eggs, and unfortunately it looks like there may be a crack started in the top half. But, it seems to work fine, so not bad for a pennies on the dollar property auction purchase. [edit] I also confirmed that dc response is fine...it tracks my in-service P6042 perfectly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:07:50 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71558 on: October 09, 2020, 03:09:35 am »
And last, but most certainly not least, where the magic happens in the P6042. These things must be treated like Fabergé eggs, and unfortunately it looks like there may be a crack started in the top half. But, it seems to work fine, so not bad for a pennies on the dollar property auction purchase. [edit] I also confirmed that dc response is fine...it tracks my in-service P6042 perfectly.

Different current ranges can be had with these.  :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71559 on: October 09, 2020, 03:11:10 am »
LOL!!! that looks expensive...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71560 on: October 09, 2020, 06:30:11 am »
Ugh get up this morning and see loads of eBay alerts. And guess what. It’s our spamming scam bastard again  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, syau

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #71561 on: October 09, 2020, 07:32:37 am »
TEA in the morning is better than italian espresso.

Really enjoyed the IPv6 discussion, learning learning for poor me.
Is it wrong to think that in 2020 that all the ISPs should provide IPv6 and IPv6 only to end user?
I mean if an old IPv4 device needs to connect to the internet, it should be a problem to solve at the switch/fritzbox/pfsense level at home, not at ISP level.

EDIT: The more network stuff you learn, the more your trusty average ISP become a muppet show feast. Am I the only one?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:34:36 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71562 on: October 09, 2020, 08:08:37 am »
I suspect the main reason that we haven't gone to IPv6 yet is that it costs money and brains to get there and we built a society on stupid people running a race to the bottom, so things that just about work still are used in favoured of forward looking solutions. The rest is down to the large network vendors who pushed IPv6 stuff to optional certifications for years. I'm not sure that is the case now or not to be honest as I never did any network certs  :-DD

As for the average ISP being muppets, yes. There are fortunately a few better than average ISPs out there still!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:10:24 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, FransW

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71563 on: October 09, 2020, 08:57:32 am »

Is it wrong to think that in 2020 that all the ISPs should provide IPv6 and IPv6 only to end user?
I mean if an old IPv4 device needs to connect to the internet, it should be a problem to solve at the switch/fritzbox/pfsense level at home, not at ISP level.

EDIT: The more network stuff you learn, the more your trusty average ISP become a muppet show feast. Am I the only one?

You probably will need v4 "connectivity" (in quotes because NAT is not more than a mockery of connectivity, compared to the real deal) for at least 15 years. The interesting phase is when v4 address space, which costs a lot to get (the free supply is out, so there is a second hand market) today will go down in price. Then, we're really in legacy mode. Today there is still way too much v4-only infrastructure on the net. Like Eevblog:

Code: [Select]
treize:~ mansaxel$ dig eevblog.com AAAA | egrep 'ANSWER|^eev|HEADER'
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28128
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
eevblog.com. 3516 IN SOA erin.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2034806799 10000 2400 604800 3600
treize:~ mansaxel$ dig eevblog.com A | egrep 'ANSWER|^eev|HEADER'
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15936
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; ANSWER SECTION:
eevblog.com. 215 IN A 192.154.111.219
eevblog.com. 215 IN A 192.154.109.3

And, it's only "barely acceptable" to do that in your Fritzbox/whatever if it's got a real public v4 address; dual-NAT will wreck a lot, except Youtube and Facebook.. So people don't see the problem.

Most consumer ISP's are understaffed, because there are so few people who want to work in the network world. Some of the people who think they should write code ought to build networks instead, but "making it all work" sounds too much like mundane plumbing to the "I want to design web sites" crowd...  Of course, a consumer ISP today is a low-margin operation, and their helldesk even more so. That means that the money isn't great.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71564 on: October 09, 2020, 09:06:46 am »
Ugh get up this morning and see loads of eBay alerts. And guess what. It’s our spamming scam bastard again  :palm:
Hmm, did you not get the £1 max selling fee this weekend then?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #71565 on: October 09, 2020, 09:21:45 am »
Hmm, did you not get the £1 max selling fee this weekend then?

Thanks for the heads up.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71566 on: October 09, 2020, 09:23:07 am »
Not got it yet. Usually arrives around lunch time for me. Fingers crossed as I've got some shit I want to bounce.

Edit: another London bonus just appeared. 2 hour, 100% free grocery delivery from Morrisons here via Amazon  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:20:46 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71567 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:25 am »
RE: Discussion about Networks and IPV4 vs IPV6.

I guess I'm one of the unwashed masses. IPV4 vs IPV6 is really meaningless to me. My home network just works. It does what I want with the speed and reliability that I demand. And as near as I can tell it's secure. I have Net Gear Genie running in the background and If any new device connects it warns me. The only thing I don't like is I have no choice of ISP. It's Optimum copper or nothing. And the bastards charge me a total of $82/month for the privilege.    |O

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71568 on: October 09, 2020, 10:30:12 am »

Edit: another London bonus just appeared. 2 hour, 100% free grocery delivery from Morrisons here via Amazon  :-DD

Time to load up on junk food.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71569 on: October 09, 2020, 10:34:44 am »

You probably will need v4 "connectivity" (in quotes because NAT is not more than a mockery of connectivity, compared to the real deal) for at least 15 years. The interesting phase is when v4 address space, which costs a lot to get (the free supply is out, so there is a second hand market) today will go down in price. Then, we're really in legacy mode. Today there is still way too much v4-only infrastructure on the net. Like Eevblog:

Code: [Select]
treize:~ mansaxel$ dig eevblog.com AAAA | egrep 'ANSWER|^eev|HEADER'
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28128
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
eevblog.com. 3516 IN SOA erin.ns.cloudflare.com. dns.cloudflare.com. 2034806799 10000 2400 604800 3600
treize:~ mansaxel$ dig eevblog.com A | egrep 'ANSWER|^eev|HEADER'
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15936
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; ANSWER SECTION:
eevblog.com. 215 IN A 192.154.111.219
eevblog.com. 215 IN A 192.154.109.3

And, it's only "barely acceptable" to do that in your Fritzbox/whatever if it's got a real public v4 address; dual-NAT will wreck a lot, except Youtube and Facebook.. So people don't see the problem.

Most consumer ISP's are understaffed, because there are so few people who want to work in the network world. Some of the people who think they should write code ought to build networks instead, but "making it all work" sounds too much like mundane plumbing to the "I want to design web sites" crowd...  Of course, a consumer ISP today is a low-margin operation, and their helldesk even more so. That means that the money isn't great.

You know, that is odd - I'm sure I was seeing an IPv6 address in the 'connection' field when I was looking at my own eevblog posts a year or two back (A&A ISP customer here!)

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71570 on: October 09, 2020, 10:35:31 am »
I have a local offer of a HP 6060B 60V/60A/300W electronic load for 350,- EUR.
Reasonable price? Should I risk trouble with my wife over it..?   :-//

The one in  Salzgitter? I offered less money and he declined and asked for €350,-. Its on ebay for quite a while. And its in an undefined state and bad cosmetics style (OK, at least it lights up some segments and no error flags).

Yep. That one. Just bought it for 340,-.
I will have the opportunity to test it when I'm there to fetch it.  :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71571 on: October 09, 2020, 10:36:13 am »
RE: Discussion about Networks and IPV4 vs IPV6.

I guess I'm one of the unwashed masses. IPV4 vs IPV6 is really meaningless to me. My home network just works. It does what I want with the speed and reliability that I demand. And as near as I can tell it's secure. I have Net Gear Genie running in the background and If any new device connects it warns me. The only thing I don't like is I have no choice of ISP. It's Optimum copper or nothing. And the bastards charge me a total of $82/month for the privilege.    |O
That's about right for 99% of users, at the moment.

However IPv4 addresses ran out ages go which is a major issue. So what will happen at some point is you may find that things on your connection don't work quite how you wanted them to occasionally. This may be because they introduce NAT to conserve their address space leading to double-NAT problems. Or your line price goes up even more because they're having to buy more addresses at massively hiked up prices due to scarcity when they come up spare.

Got my £1 listing on ebay.  :phew:

Time to load up on junk food.  :-DD

On it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71572 on: October 09, 2020, 10:38:23 am »
Morrisons custard creams are the best
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71573 on: October 09, 2020, 10:39:51 am »

You know, that is odd - I'm sure I was seeing an IPv6 address in the 'connection' field when I was looking at my own eevblog posts a year or two back (A&A ISP customer here!)

Do keep in mind that Eevblog is on Cloudflare, which means that there are different answers depending on where you are. There is no universal truth.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71574 on: October 09, 2020, 10:46:39 am »
Yep. That one. Just bought it for 340,-.
I will have the opportunity to test it when I'm there to fetch it.  :)

I just got the info it was sold, still had it on my watch list. So you will take a huge PS to get it warm? I was not amused to have a ride of abt. 500km to get it.
Would like to see insight photos when you got it.

My second KP184 arrived and this one works. Still waiting for the RMA of the broken one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf