Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15661498 times)

Wolfgang and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89100 on: April 24, 2021, 04:10:59 pm »
Puke 87V anyone? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203376748247

"May smell a little of rotting corpse of dead ham left in shallow grave."

Now, if that was an old 25 or 27 I'd jump at it. With one of those if you pressure washed the gunk off and stuck new batteries in it'd probably work and be in cal.

Being certified for use in mines does give confidence that would be the case!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89101 on: April 24, 2021, 04:13:34 pm »
Ok, PE1542 on the bench today. These are three channel units, 2x 20V/1A & 1x 7V/3A. Nice and compact. I have two. One was acting dicky so I figured swap them. Swapped them, started inspecting #1. Hmm, current regulation is dicky on the two 20V channels, oscillates at ~450kHz. Inspected presumably good #2 just for fun - one of the 20V channels does it as well :-BROKE . Oh joy! Now these have been recapped, and there is not much more in there then a µA723 and a diff pair to adjust current limiting. Reasonably to suspect the ceramic 1nF caps that look like they are there to calm the diff pair? Funny enough, the older manual ('82) specs a 4.7nF and a 1nF, the newer ('85) specs two 1nF. Should I suspect beancounters at work trimming the BOM?

There were two types, the 1542/00 and the PE1542/60.
The difference is the DC adjustment range: /00 0-20V and the /60 0-32V.
Max current went from 1,0 A to 1,4 A.
See attachment.
I know. These are both manuals for the 1542/00. I did not get the /60 because it is 1/3 longer & I wanted 3 adjustable voltages. Also, it's not the ceramic caps. What now? Current sense resistors going bad (I heard they have a habit in these)? Aging transistors? Zener diodes crapping out? Need to have a think...
Edit: Plans is to replace the sense resistors since I have replacements parts reserved anyway. And maybe swap the discrete 2x BCY59-8 for a KC811 diff-pair in one case. See what happens and go from there :-//
At least I don't have to fear it might start oscillating :-DD
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:17:54 pm by ch_scr »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89102 on: April 24, 2021, 04:23:51 pm »
You had to say it out loud, didn't you...?  :palm:

mnem
*SMH*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89103 on: April 24, 2021, 04:29:56 pm »
I picked up some HP RPN goodness on the way home from work yesterday.

I’ve had the 28S since high school. I had a 28C back then as well that I sold so this actually my second one and I couldn’t pass up the business calculator since I need something like that for doing financial work without fighting with spreadsheets.

The next challenge is going to be finding a store that’s a) actually open and b) sells N cells.  I don’t want to raid my 28S for the ones in there but this is going to be tricky and I may end up having to order online.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:32:02 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, Kosmic

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89104 on: April 24, 2021, 04:34:09 pm »
Puke 87V anyone? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203376748247

"May smell a little of rotting corpse of dead ham left in shallow grave."

Now, if that was an old 25 or 27 I'd jump at it. With one of those if you pressure washed the gunk off and stuck new batteries in it'd probably work and be in cal.

Luckily the seller has a job lot of pressure washers also. And vacuum cleaners. And vintage games consoles. And vintage hifi... tat, in other words.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89105 on: April 24, 2021, 04:49:15 pm »
In other news, first 10 Gigabit Ethernet links are up and operational in the home network. VmWare machine (2 off ixgbe) and one interswitch link, 4500X to 2960.  Next 10G going up will be a LACP pair to the file server.

Now: Curry.

I am very careful to keep the ginger content above minimum.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89106 on: April 24, 2021, 04:54:47 pm »
I picked up some HP RPN goodness on the way home from work yesterday.   

The next challenge is going to be finding a store that’s a) actually open and b) sells N cells.  I don’t want to raid my 28S for the ones in there but this is going to be tricky and I may end up having to order online.

Amazon has 'em; just look for E90 battery .

https://www.amazon.ca/LR1-MN9100-Alkaline-Batteries-10PCS/dp/B01IN3XF52/

https://www.amazon.ca/LR1-Battery-1-5V-Alakline-20pcs/dp/B07KQ6BBM3/

https://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-1-5-Volt-N-Size-2-Pack-GPE90BP2/dp/B00004TDRH/

Back in the day, RS used to carry a ni-cd version as well; but I fear that little gem is lost to the echoes of time...  ???

But Amazon DOES carry 2/3 AAA NiMhs, and they're cheap cuz used in solar lighting:

https://www.amazon.ca/Pack-3AAA-400mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B07DWMZPJT/

https://www.amazon.ca/Pack-3AAA-400mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B01CDU8CZO/

mnem
:-/O
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 05:15:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89107 on: April 24, 2021, 05:42:11 pm »
[...]
Back in the day, RS used to carry a ni-cd version as well; but I fear that little gem is lost to the echoes of time...  ???
[...]
Look for X500NH, that should be the one?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 05:49:04 pm by ch_scr »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #89108 on: April 24, 2021, 06:47:46 pm »
Running out of IPA to clean up sticker residue? Deodorant works too!

*end of message*

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89109 on: April 24, 2021, 06:50:59 pm »

*end of message*
Does that smell better or worse than IPA  ???

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89110 on: April 24, 2021, 06:54:10 pm »

*end of message*

For real stubborn sticker residue this stuff is the bomb.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89111 on: April 24, 2021, 07:00:28 pm »
Reasonably priced 3478A here in UK with feet and 2018 cal. I would buy it but I've already got one and I don't need another one  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324588803961

Edit: to clarify why I don't need another one. I will find they don't match, then this will turn into a calibration rabbit hole I don't want to get into.

Edit 2: starting to feel sorry for it.

Edit 3: someone else please buy it  :-DD

Edit 4: ok I'm going for a walk around the block with no phone. Back for discord. If it's still there, I am disappointed in you all  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:10:23 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, ch_scr

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #89112 on: April 24, 2021, 07:08:21 pm »

*end of message*

Tough one.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89113 on: April 24, 2021, 07:37:56 pm »
不和が起きている

:popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89114 on: April 24, 2021, 09:53:15 pm »
Reasonably priced 3478A here in UK with feet and 2018 cal. I would buy it but I've already got one and I don't need another one  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324588803961

Edit: to clarify why I don't need another one. I will find they don't match, then this will turn into a calibration rabbit hole I don't want to get into.

Edit 2: starting to feel sorry for it.

Edit 3: someone else please buy it  :-DD

Edit 4: ok I'm going for a walk around the block with no phone. Back for discord. If it's still there, I am disappointed in you all  :-DD
It will have to be a very long walk, like 7 days as it's an auction and a BIN jobbie, so you see next discord...Oh shit, its tonight, damn and blast, I'm too busy tonight.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89115 on: April 24, 2021, 09:55:34 pm »
不和が起きている

今夜はそこにいません
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89116 on: April 24, 2021, 10:07:08 pm »
不和が起きている

今夜はそこにいません

And I'll have the teriyaki chicken and a Sapporo...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89117 on: April 24, 2021, 10:26:08 pm »
Yesss... Just had a good result, I got that B&O music centre FOC because it was knackered, Loads of elbow grease giving it a thorough cleaning and polish up, lubrication of the mechanisms and replaced the mid and bass speakers at a total cost of £27, just flipped it for £150, more money for the TEA acquisition pot as soon as something pops up that catches my eye, wish I could repeat that weekly  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89118 on: April 24, 2021, 10:32:45 pm »
A Sapporo what?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89119 on: April 24, 2021, 10:33:04 pm »
不和が起きている

今夜はそこにいません

ドイツ人は再び彼らの中にいます

:popcorn:   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89120 on: April 24, 2021, 10:50:17 pm »
不和が起きている

今夜はそこにいません

Really, Sapporo ? and you were criticizing my taste couple of weeks ago ?  :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:53:56 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89121 on: April 24, 2021, 11:03:17 pm »
...So I clear off my desk/bench so I can get on my Windoze PC to read in here and grouse aboot the Mac kakking that video card again and Firefox (which just updated itself last night) crashes in the middle of this post.

Suddenly I'm back in familiar space, and all is right with the world again...  :-DD

And then the Trifecta... after messing around with the new handlebar setup over half an hour, and getting it all back together with even the grips intact and untorn... I realize that the reason I'm having such a hard time getting the brake levers situated so they feel right is that last night, before I pulled the plug on the project due to bleary eyes and aching back, I put the brake lever assemblies on the wrong sides and upside down. :palm:

To swap them around, I need to tear the whole thing apart again.   |O

mnem
Oh look... there's some more blood...

Not sure if you know, but an air compressor blow gun is very handy to float the grips off the handlebar with a cushion of air.  Makes it quick and easy with very low risk of damaging the grips.

I will sound a note of caution here. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT CAREFULLY THINKING OUT THE PROCEDURE FIRST. It's just this kind of operation that, if done wrong, results in naked flesh being in contact with a high pressure air nozzle which can lead to pneumatic injection injuries (aka hydraulic injection injuries). Those kind of injuries can maim or kill - this is not an overstatement.

If you have never seen the results of these kind of injuries just go and do an image search on "pneumatic injection injuries". DO NOT do the image search within 2 hours either before or after a meal, it will ruin your appetite. If you ever work with high pressure air, or near hydraulics you should do that image search, it will have more effect than an entire week's worth of health and safety lectures.
You might be right there. I had an encounter with a minuscule leak of high pressure hydraulics. Was visible for years even if not much damage occured.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89122 on: April 24, 2021, 11:14:24 pm »
So I dipped out on this one and some lucky human sniped my current lack of budget late bid ::) eBay auction: #265127267404 Was worth $100AUpesos but no more for me but lots of hand made cool factor inside.

Back to a weak retelling of a classic tale and time for some Vogon Poetry......

That looks like it was kit built. And what the heck are the rotary switches on the circuit board for? And a UHF connector rather than BNC?  :-//
Seems to have been a reuse of the Intersil demo board for the 7913 chip.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89123 on: April 24, 2021, 11:50:34 pm »
不和が起きている

今夜はそこにいません

Really, Sapporo ? and you were criticizing my taste couple of weeks ago ?  :P

I needed something to clean my shoes with.

I've had a Sapporo, once. It was 'orrible. The can however was über cool. It was classic lager glass shape and the ring-pull took the whole top off so that you had an instant aluminium 'glass' to drink out of. Cunning these Nihonjin (日本人) are.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #89124 on: April 24, 2021, 11:52:05 pm »
...So I clear off my desk/bench so I can get on my Windoze PC to read in here and grouse aboot the Mac kakking that video card again and Firefox (which just updated itself last night) crashes in the middle of this post.

Suddenly I'm back in familiar space, and all is right with the world again...  :-DD

And then the Trifecta... after messing around with the new handlebar setup over half an hour, and getting it all back together with even the grips intact and untorn... I realize that the reason I'm having such a hard time getting the brake levers situated so they feel right is that last night, before I pulled the plug on the project due to bleary eyes and aching back, I put the brake lever assemblies on the wrong sides and upside down. :palm:

To swap them around, I need to tear the whole thing apart again.   |O

mnem
Oh look... there's some more blood...

Not sure if you know, but an air compressor blow gun is very handy to float the grips off the handlebar with a cushion of air.  Makes it quick and easy with very low risk of damaging the grips.

I will sound a note of caution here. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT CAREFULLY THINKING OUT THE PROCEDURE FIRST. It's just this kind of operation that, if done wrong, results in naked flesh being in contact with a high pressure air nozzle which can lead to pneumatic injection injuries (aka hydraulic injection injuries). Those kind of injuries can maim or kill - this is not an overstatement.

If you have never seen the results of these kind of injuries just go and do an image search on "pneumatic injection injuries". DO NOT do the image search within 2 hours either before or after a meal, it will ruin your appetite. If you ever work with high pressure air, or near hydraulics you should do that image search, it will have more effect than an entire week's worth of health and safety lectures.
You might be right there. I had an encounter with a minuscule leak of high pressure hydraulics. Was visible for years even if not much damage occured.
My former boss has stiff neck caused by a hydraulic oil jet leak, and he considered himself lucky.
And I've saw a scar on both sides of a finger, who's owner tried to plug a pinhole leak under 10kPSI... :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf