Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544015 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94125 on: July 10, 2021, 02:58:34 pm »
1st rule when posting, is to check your supporting photos  :palm:

At least it's not one of those "accidentally caught my naked large beer belly almost hiding my dick reflection pictures".   :palm: :-DD
You've been peeping again...... :-DD :-DD

No, it's one of those "what has been seen cannot be unseen". Just like the 90 year old stripper.  ;D

Hold muh beer. I's a gettin' muh camera.

[Whooshing sound followed by the sound of crickets and the gentle rustling of tumbleweeds]

What? Why is the room suddenly empty?

*toddles in after a yummy breakfast at the taco truck*

"Ummmm... where is everybody...?"

*gaze narrows on Cerebus in the corner with a camera*

Oh fuck... this feels just like the time I went to the bathroom and got voted "Safety Inspector" for the entire department...

*camera flash*

mnem
dammitdammitdammitOW!dammit..!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:03:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94126 on: July 10, 2021, 03:06:14 pm »
Good news, bad news...

Good news, the stuff I ordered from JPR yesterday arrived today and I got a "second chance" on an ebay joblot.
Bad news, the sparky I did the mains change with on Wednesday has tested positive for covid so I am waiting to see if I have to isolate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrical-Testers-Fluke-77-Multimeter-Hewlett-Packard-3010R-X3830L-311V-Joblot-/114885837085

Price was £35 shipped.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #94127 on: July 10, 2021, 03:24:35 pm »
So I found a new bunny hole to jump into...a natural extension of electronics tinkering is wanting to be able to make small parts. And my local used tool guy had juuuust what I needed...  :palm:

Unimat SL 1000, basically brand new. Missing some accessories (notably, the milling table). I need to get more lathe tools for sure as well, as it only came with one of unknown provenance.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94128 on: July 10, 2021, 03:31:58 pm »
So I found a new bunny hole to jump into...a natural extension of electronics tinkering is wanting to be able to make small parts. And my local used tool guy had juuuust what I needed...  :palm:

Unimat SL 1000, basically brand new. Missing some accessories (notably, the milling table). I need to get more lathe tools for sure as well, as it only came with one of unknown provenance.

I would probably kill for one of those. Some of the cheap Chinese mini-lathes are OK, but most are not a patch, quality-wise, on the old British and American hobby/model-engineering lathes. I just ain't got the room for anything bigger...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #94129 on: July 10, 2021, 03:40:52 pm »
Well, that tears it. Just got pinged by NHS test and trace, I have to self isolate for 8 days   :palm:

If you recall me mentioning the line manager who wanted us to turn the UPS + genset protected building off to do the mains change, you'll understand why I'm not particularly bothered that he now has to find someone to cover me (there isn't anyone, we're chronically understaffed due to the pay situation and poor management).

The ping is due to the other sparky on that job testing positive, so he's two blokes down...

In TE related activities, been doing some work on the frogeye worklight build, and found that Amazon cd cardboard envelopes are a nice thickness for isolating exposed ELV components (heatshrink not possible). That reminded me about a question I was going to ask the other day:-

What's the strangest thing you've ever used as a substrate for a circuit board? Mine is a beer mat, Guinness I think. Used it to make a simple shunt regulator for a 2xAA battery charger powered by a 6V solar panel, for my mother and her hubby, who lived in a caravan with no electricity, not even a car battery at that point back in the 90s. It was through-hole to keep the components in place, and then point-to-point using stripped CATV cores iirc. Apparently they used it to recharge primary cells as well as whatever NiCd or NiMH they happened to have.

Anyway, here's a WIP pic of the frogeye:

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94130 on: July 10, 2021, 03:50:24 pm »
Nice score, 0culus.  :-+

Meanwhile, on the bench...

mnem
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:58:41 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #94131 on: July 10, 2021, 04:03:35 pm »

I would probably kill for one of those. Some of the cheap Chinese mini-lathes are OK, but most are not a patch, quality-wise, on the old British and American hobby/model-engineering lathes. I just ain't got the room for anything bigger...

Yeah, I've got the same problem. Eventually I will have a proper machine shop, but that will be a next house problem for sure. In the meantime, this will allow me to dip my toes into making small parts for projects.

I do need to track down some of the accessories this Unimat is missing. I'd like to get a milling table+vise (though all the recommendations I see is to get a second Unimat if you want to use both functions...to save time realigning when swapping), thread cutter, and a better selection of tools and end mills.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:06:17 pm by 0culus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94132 on: July 10, 2021, 04:09:50 pm »
You do know that that HP CALAN CATV tester has a 1GHz spectrum analyser function?
It actually works quite well.

I wasn't even sure what it was (and didn't bother to google it), I was mainly interested in the Fluke 77 and the Robin insulation tester. The HP was just some bonus weirdness.

I haven't even started to play with the HP 8570A yet; I've no experience with spec-ans, but I believe their inputs are quite fragile? I want to understand what I'm doing before I start poking them.

Since I have found out that CATV cable installers are just Joe Blow's off the street with no electronics training if they can operate that hp then you can.

Often true but not always. Last time I had to upgrade internet, the technician originally came from Iran and had studied in engineering. He unfortunately couldn't work in engineering over here because his formation was probably not recognized and it's a really protected field. Still, he was impressed with my TEA collection and we actually had a chat about Oscilloscope  :)

The last cable guy I had here had no clue as what my stuff was.  :palm:
Well now come on be fair, he was only in his 20's, so he had never the stuff in your collection, ask most people what Heathkit are famous for, and they will stare at you like you're bonkers  >:D

No he wasn't. He had to be in his 40's.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94133 on: July 10, 2021, 04:31:58 pm »

mnem

I saw the chowder at the back edge of that and went "oh oo" before I looked down to see the freshly minted "spare parts" sitting inside the ring!

You're right: properly fucked.

Currently doing open heart surgery on my iPhone SE (original) to put a new battery in. While I was working on it I heard the "Ping!" of something hitting the floor and my heart skipped several beats. Turned out SWMBO on the other side of the table had just dropped a bead on the floor.  :scared:

She was promptly informed that was the last bead she was going to drop today while I was working on the phone or that subsequent bead was going to be the last bead ever that she dropped. (I was joking but a teeny tiny part of me was thinking "If I got the right jury, that would be ruled justifiable homicide.").  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94134 on: July 10, 2021, 04:36:52 pm »
You do know that that HP CALAN CATV tester has a 1GHz spectrum analyser function?
It actually works quite well.

I wasn't even sure what it was (and didn't bother to google it), I was mainly interested in the Fluke 77 and the Robin insulation tester. The HP was just some bonus weirdness.

I haven't even started to play with the HP 8570A yet; I've no experience with spec-ans, but I believe their inputs are quite fragile? I want to understand what I'm doing before I start poking them.

Since I have found out that CATV cable installers are just Joe Blow's off the street with no electronics training if they can operate that hp then you can.

Often true but not always. Last time I had to upgrade internet, the technician originally came from Iran and had studied in engineering. He unfortunately couldn't work in engineering over here because his formation was probably not recognized and it's a really protected field. Still, he was impressed with my TEA collection and we actually had a chat about Oscilloscope  :)

The last cable guy I had here had no clue as what my stuff was.  :palm:
Well now come on be fair, he was only in his 20's, so he had never the stuff in your collection, ask most people what Heathkit are famous for, and they will stare at you like you're bonkers  >:D

No he wasn't. He had to be in his 40's.
When was that when he came to you?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94135 on: July 10, 2021, 04:40:39 pm »

mnem

I saw the chowder at the back edge of that and went "oh oo" before I looked down to see the freshly minted "spare parts" sitting inside the ring!

Currently doing open heart surgery on my iPhone SE (original) to put a new battery in. While I was working on it I heard the "Ping!" of something hitting the floor and my heart skipped several beats. Turned out SWMBO on the other side of the table had just dropped a bead on the floor.  :scared:

She was promptly informed that was the last bead she was going to drop today while I was working on the phone or that subsequent bead was going to be the last bead ever that she dropped. (I was joking but a teeny tiny part of me was thinking "If I got the right jury, that would be ruled justifiable homicide.").  ;D
Typical Romfordian thinking that. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94136 on: July 10, 2021, 04:41:41 pm »

About 4 months ago when I got Cable TV back on a special offer. He had to install the box.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94137 on: July 10, 2021, 04:52:54 pm »

About 4 months ago when I got Cable TV back on a special offer. He had to install the box.
Well, he might not have heard about Heathkit then seeing as they ceased trading in 1992, he was only a small child back then.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94138 on: July 10, 2021, 04:55:24 pm »
Todays stupid eBay valuation, I think the seller has been at the magic mushrooms again  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154058876130
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94139 on: July 10, 2021, 04:57:33 pm »

Bloody cheek! I'm from Stratford in London thank you very much mate! None of your blooming Essex backwaters for me. My post just comes through the Romford MC because the post office finds it easier to hire the six fingered in Essex.

Phone back together. Touch Id working, digitiser working and camera working. I.E. I haven't buggered any of the many delicate bits that it is oh-so easy to bugger by levering an iPhone open. Now for comparative relaxation I'm going to go and solder some 0603 capacitors.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94140 on: July 10, 2021, 05:08:30 pm »
Congratulations. Got a 6s here that needs a new battery. Currently in the “can’t be arsed” pile.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94141 on: July 10, 2021, 05:11:34 pm »
Todays stupid eBay valuation, I think the seller has been at the magic mushrooms again  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154058876130

They also have a scope for sale for £48401.00, OBO. Yes, that decimal point is in the correct  place :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94142 on: July 10, 2021, 05:15:18 pm »
Congratulations. Got a 6s here that needs a new battery. Currently in the “can’t be arsed” pile.

This was a bulging phone front due to a battery that was clearly going rogue so I couldn't put it in the “can’t be arsed” pile in case it turned the house or my left testicle into a "you should have been arsed" pyre.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94143 on: July 10, 2021, 05:18:19 pm »

This was a bulging phone front due to a battery that was clearly going rogue so I couldn't put it in the “can’t be arsed” pile in case it turned the house or my left testicle into a "you should have been arsed" pyre.

Ahh a spicy pillow. https://old.reddit.com/r/spicypillows/

This one hasn’t got like that yet. I probably should check it again though.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94144 on: July 10, 2021, 05:57:06 pm »

mnem

Yeah... fortunately, I have a parts mule bike with a genuine Shimano 6-gear freewheel cluster, should be a easy swap. Found a full kit with 2 spline tools, chain whip, crank press and chain-cracker for CAD$21 (~US$17) on Amazon to take the misery out of the job; I'd be a fool not to, I think.

Tool quality will be cheapest possible China-direct of course... but I've done this job with a 3DP part before, so not too worried. Kit should survive the half-dozen times I'm likely to use it before I check out. :-//

I'd suggest that were the shoe on t'other foot, she'd be awarded a medal; both for the deed and for putting up widja for so long. :-DD

mnem
I know my wife would. :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:59:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94145 on: July 10, 2021, 06:08:10 pm »

Bloody cheek! I'm from Stratford in London thank you very much mate! None of your blooming Essex backwaters for me. My post just comes through the Romford MC because the post office finds it easier to hire the six fingered in Essex.

Phone back together. Touch Id working, digitiser working and camera working. I.E. I haven't buggered any of the many delicate bits that it is oh-so easy to bugger by levering an iPhone open. Now for comparative relaxation I'm going to go and solder some 0603 capacitors.
Romford used to be Essex, but it is now firmly in London's East End, just doesn't have the E post code and has been I think since 2004 when the boundary changed. I reckon Stratford uses Romford MC because those legendary 6 fingered postal workers could work faster than the 4 fingered East Enders who may have had a finger removed as punishment, possibly by the Krays.  :P

Good result on the phone, I've done that a couple of times on my sons phones now, it's a shame that they did not make the battery cover removable to enable that job to be done with ease.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94146 on: July 10, 2021, 06:18:57 pm »
...Phone back together. Touch Id working, digitiser working and camera working. I.E. I haven't buggered any of the many delicate bits that it is oh-so easy to bugger by levering an iPhone open. Now for comparative relaxation I'm going to go and solder some 0603 capacitors.

Mine should be here Thursday. I'll let you know what I think of working with them.  :P

I had to solder some 0402s first round of troubleshooting that Yamaha with the hinky 16MHz oscillator; did that freehand and without magnification.  :o Annoyingly, I don't have a single pic to post as proof.  |O

Here you go buddy. These should prove a bit more relaxing. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:42:34 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94147 on: July 10, 2021, 06:23:43 pm »

Well, he might not have heard about Heathkit then seeing as they ceased trading in 1992, he was only a small child back then.

Why do you keep bringing up Heathkit? The vast majority of my stuff on display is Tektronix and he STILL had no fucking clue. 

Edit......he would have seen something like this when installing the cable box. He had no idea what those instruments up top were....regardless if they were Heath, Tektronix, Siglent, etc. And you know what the rest of my living room looks like.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:33:48 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94148 on: July 10, 2021, 06:27:19 pm »

Ahh a spicy pillow. https://old.reddit.com/r/spicypillows/

This one hasn’t got like that yet. I probably should check it again though.
A spicy pillow is to be recommended, a fire hazard that is best avoided.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94149 on: July 10, 2021, 06:37:02 pm »

Why do you keep bringing up Heathkit? The vast majority of my stuff on display is Tektronix and he STILL had no fucking clue. 
No reason really apart from maybe Heathkit was more a consumer name than Tektronix would have been. My sons are in their late 30's now and even though I have plenty of well known (to us) names in my lab, none of my sons would have a clue what I was talking about if I mentioned their name. On the other hand however, if I mention Samsug, Apple, LG, Panasonic or Sony then they would have some idea as they are consumer type names.

Oh and of course centre stage in your photo is the Heathkit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:40:32 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf