Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15113170 times)

Vince, K9DTV, tk422, Chernobyl and 144 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98725 on: August 23, 2021, 05:33:18 pm »
I see that Solartron 7150 went for £47, hopefully to someone here. I didn't include any description as it was my first post from my new phone, and I just discovered how shit the keyboard is; there's no square brackets, so I can't format anything or even manually enter links!

If anyone has any keyboard app recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Use Microsoft Swiftkey app, works on Android and IOs and offers loads of different configurations. Downloadable for free from their respective app stores.

EDIT It also allows you to speed up text entry by using if you wish, swiping your finger through the letters that make up the word you want to enter, without lifting your finger, and it will enter that word for you. It also learns the way you write and will quickly offer complete words to select just from the first few letters as it selects those that you use most often, thats clever little app.

Gboard (Google KB) also offers these features; as well as a large-format, L/R one-handed, floating and compact KB layouts. Your phone may have come default with a different keyboard turned on; look into the settings on your phone and browser/messenger app.

Also note that the even with GBoard selected, the expanded keyboard like this now comes turned OFF; you have to go into GBoard settings (the GB settings gear is now right in the function bar) to turn it back on.

Look under PREFERENCES for LONG PRESS FOR SYMBOLS. You can also enable/disable POPUP FOR KEYPRESS from here.

mnem
*smartpwned*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:35:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98726 on: August 23, 2021, 05:33:35 pm »
Some pictures of TE having done a detail wrong:

Get yer flamethrowers ready, folks!

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Hopping on the wagon. Famous foul up of the binding posts on the Riden RD-series DC power supplies. It even got a "Why?!" from Dave. The problem: green is not ground! On these models, the green binding post is the positive terminal for charging batteries. :palm:
That aught to be something like a brown or possibly blue but green, thats a no no  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98727 on: August 23, 2021, 05:36:14 pm »
I see that Solartron 7150 went for £47, hopefully to someone here. I didn't include any description as it was my first post from my new phone, and I just discovered how shit the keyboard is; there's no square brackets, so I can't format anything or even manually enter links!

If anyone has any keyboard app recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Use Microsoft Swiftkey app, works on Android and IOs and offers loads of different configurations. Downloadable for free from their respective app stores.

EDIT It also allows you to speed up text entry by using if you wish, swiping your finger through the letters that make up the word you want to enter, without lifting your finger, and it will enter that word for you. It also learns the way you write and will quickly offer complete words to select just from the first few letters as it selects those that you use most often, thats clever little app.

Gboard (Google KB) also offers these features; as well as a large-format and compact KB layout. Your phone may have come default with a different keyboard turned on; look into the settings on your phone and browser/messenger app.

Also note that the even with GBoard selected, the expanded keyboard like this now comes turned OFF; you have to go into GBoard settings (the GB settings gear is now right in the function bar) to turn it back on.

Look under PREFERENCES for LONG PRESS FOR SYMBOLS. You can also enable/disable POPUP FOR KEYPRESS from here.

mnem
*smartpwned*
What about cursor keys?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98728 on: August 23, 2021, 05:38:52 pm »
HP 436A mode switch repair video. Rejuvenate switch action due to weak leaf spring.

This video is being relocated to the repair thread for this unit here -

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-436a-rf-power-meter/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:02:44 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98729 on: August 23, 2021, 05:40:01 pm »

Gboard (Google KB) also offers these features; as well as a large-format and compact KB layout. Your phone may have come default with a different keyboard turned on; look into the settings on your phone and browser/messenger app.

mnem
*smartpwned*
What about cursor keys?
You can enable that as a secondary keyboard which can be toggled along with other language keyboards. I just don't have the "other languages" button enabled.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:42:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98730 on: August 23, 2021, 05:49:58 pm »
Some pictures of TE having done a detail wrong:

Get yer flamethrowers ready, folks!

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Hopping on the wagon. Famous foul up of the binding posts on the Riden RD-series DC power supplies. It even got a "Why?!" from Dave. The problem: green is not ground! On these models, the green binding post is the positive terminal for charging batteries. :palm:

EDIT:

This is personal for me because that is my RD6006P in the picture. I put a note on the top of the unit to remind me. It's a exceptional power supply for the price.

Speechless...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98731 on: August 23, 2021, 05:50:58 pm »
   Just finished my little project.

My JLC boards are just fine. They fit just fine in the DB9 Amphenol shell I bought. Board is electrically fine. So I went to solder the components...

Ummm... you know JLC offers parts population services as well, right? And these quantities... very possibly cheaper completely populated boards than you can buy the components yourself.

mnem

Wow, no didn't know, wil have to check for that next time / project !  :o

No big deal in the case at hand as I was on a shoe string budget and already had bought the parts anyway. Plus only 6 components to solder and only 5 boards to make or so...

But will keep that in mind in case it might make financial and practical sense in a future project...

Yeah, you mentioned 20-50 pieces earlier. Those quantities for sure worth looking into.

mnem
 :-+

Yeah but he sells only one or two cables per year these days (used to 20 in the heydays 20 years ago), so I thought 20/50 for a life time would be plnety enough, but obviously not going to build them all right now...
Today he got in touch, saying he loved the new cable, asked me to make 5 of them. Now that the cable looks decent and more " professional ", maybe he will manage to sell 3 or 4 a year, who knows...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98732 on: August 23, 2021, 05:53:56 pm »

mnem
*smartpwned*
What about cursor keys?
You can enable that as a secondary keyboard which can be toggled along with other language keyboards. I just don't have the "other languages" button enabled.

mnem
With the Swiftkey, you can have the cursor keys on the main keyboard all the time.
Who let Murphy in?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98733 on: August 23, 2021, 05:54:22 pm »

But will keep that in mind in case it might make financial and practical sense in a future project...

It almost always does for their  689 'basic' componenets.   Those are the parts they don't charge extra for.   They charge $3 per component for 'extended' parts.  I find it to be  about the same cost to order 10 boards with assembly as buying the parts and soldering myself.   It depends on the parts.  Some have a minium qty. of more than 10, so you pay for parts that you never see.

You mean the basic cheap component are FREE, both the part and soldering of it ?!  :o
What times do we live in ? How do they make MONEY if everything is free or dirt cheap ?!  :-//

So I guess one could get JLC to solder the free/basic stuff, and then you would by and solder yourself only the parts that JLC charges too much money for. Well, assuming JLC gives you the flexibility to cherry pick components ....

Anyway, will definitely look into into more detail for my next project  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98734 on: August 23, 2021, 06:04:58 pm »
In a prior life where others were living in the same residence I always knew when someone was into my tools/equipment. They never put it back in the right spot or would forget to put it back. And I would ask where so-and-so was and no one would own up. Never again will that repeat itself.  ::)

The last person to do that to my tools is dead - and I'm not talking natural causes.

The truth is that Dave was killed by a combination of alcohol, recklessness, a motorbike and a big tree. But I don't tell them that. Dave was, however, the last person to mess with my tools - largely I suspect because ever since I've been able to tell people that he was the last man to abuse my tools, and that he's dead, with a straight face and my hand on my heart.

So when you hear the old "Dave's not here, man..." gag... I suspect the context is not entirely the same as for the rest of us. Fair enuf.   ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

I don't wish anyone dead but if I could get back all the money (and misery, but mostly the money) the Puerto Rican princesa and all her kids cost me I could retire on a deserted island.   ::)

If you had that money you’d end up making the same mistake again  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98735 on: August 23, 2021, 06:19:42 pm »
In a prior life where others were living in the same residence I always knew when someone was into my tools/equipment. They never put it back in the right spot or would forget to put it back. And I would ask where so-and-so was and no one would own up. Never again will that repeat itself.  ::)

The last person to do that to my tools is dead - and I'm not talking natural causes.

The truth is that Dave was killed by a combination of alcohol, recklessness, a motorbike and a big tree. But I don't tell them that. Dave was, however, the last person to mess with my tools - largely I suspect because ever since I've been able to tell people that he was the last man to abuse my tools, and that he's dead, with a straight face and my hand on my heart.

So when you hear the old "Dave's not here, man..." gag... I suspect the context is not entirely the same as for the rest of us. Fair enuf.   ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

I don't wish anyone dead but if I could get back all the money (and misery, but mostly the money) the Puerto Rican princesa and all her kids cost me I could retire on a deserted island.   ::)

If you had that money you’d end up making the same mistake again  :-DD

Oh hell no. Learned my lesson. Word to the wise. Don't EVER get involved with a woman, especially a Latino, who has pre-teen and teen children. They will suck you dry. No matter HOW good she is at whatever and use your imagination. Hit it, quit it, and RUN.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98736 on: August 23, 2021, 06:20:21 pm »

You mean the basic cheap component are FREE, both the part and soldering of it ?!  :o

No, but the prices are so low that they might as well be. You pay a fee per joint and a fee for the component. For the components that they keep on the PNP machines as standard you get them at reel prices, so typical resistors are a fraction of a penny/cent (uniroyal 1% 0805 100ppm $0.004 each), so is the per joint fee ($0.0015 per joint). So that adds up to $0.007 for supplying and assembling an 0805 resistor. The full details are here: https://jlcpcb.com/smt-assembly
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98737 on: August 23, 2021, 06:39:02 pm »
Maybe there is a cure for TEA. I mean, looking too long at THAT thing might very well break any affection for test equipment. This thing is so fecking ugly that I did not dare to post a picture of it.
Steel yourself for something really, really horrible and take a look:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/294250484573

Hurrrlk!

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Kosmic, AVGresponding, duckduck

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98738 on: August 23, 2021, 06:46:50 pm »
Maybe there is a cure for TEA. I mean, looking too long at THAT thing might very well break any affection for test equipment. This thing is so fecking ugly that I did not dare to post a picture of it.

Hurrrlk!

Nice! It's smiling at you...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98739 on: August 23, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »

Hurrrlk!

Nice! It's smiling at you...

It's a happy meter!  And it's certainly colorful.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98740 on: August 23, 2021, 07:00:44 pm »

No, but the prices are so low that they might as well be. You pay a fee per joint and a fee for the component. For the components that they keep on the PNP machines as standard you get them at reel prices, so typical resistors are a fraction of a penny/cent (uniroyal 1% 0805 100ppm $0.004 each), so is the per joint fee ($0.0015 per joint). So that adds up to $0.007 for supplying and assembling an 0805 resistor. The full details are here: https://jlcpcb.com/smt-assembly

Thanks for this example ! Wow... OK, cheaaaaaaaaaaap indeed !  :scared:
Will definitely consider it next time !  :D

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98741 on: August 23, 2021, 07:07:23 pm »
Thanks for this example ! Wow... OK, cheaaaaaaaaaaap indeed !  :scared:
Will definitely consider it next time !  :D

that's why I did reconsider to buy a SMD suction station to pick and place components. My tweezer are good enough for the job (when I need to) and I am wasting my money and time so well in other stuff so no need to aggravate the situation.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98742 on: August 23, 2021, 07:15:17 pm »

Hurrrlk!

Whatever else you have to say aboot it, that contact bridge for the Hfe function is fucking brilliant. Easy to use for anything with legs, and easy to make adapters, even "out in the woods", out of any scrap of wire for those devices that won't cooperate. :clap:

mnem
 :-DMM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:27:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98743 on: August 23, 2021, 07:17:14 pm »
Anyone here thinking about buying a Keysight 7.5 digit multimeter, or indeed any Keysight product for that matter, might want to read this first. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-broken-34470a-and-keysights-terrible-customer-service/new/#new
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #98744 on: August 23, 2021, 07:20:11 pm »
my tubes tester is now working.

8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98745 on: August 23, 2021, 07:37:46 pm »

Here's a blast from the past for ya, Tautech. I curb-scored this in the spring; it got buried in the back of the back shed without even being triaged. So today I'm taking a few hours to check it out; decide if I need to fix it or flip it.

So far things are promising; found the flywheel crusted onto the brake band, and the usual clippings that collect between the gas tank and cylinder/crankcase but little else horrifying. Gas even smells halfway potent, and nothing in the tank but a few blades of pickled grass; I just cleaned the flywheel and brake band with a wire wheel & did the "blow everything out with my hand over the carb" dance, and now hunting a deep-well socket for the spark plug.

mnem
Pray for me out in the "dog days" suck!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:39:33 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98746 on: August 23, 2021, 07:38:30 pm »
my tubes tester is now working.

(Attachment Link)

8)

Wow it’s not until you see it next to the Philips DMMs that you can see how large it is!  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98747 on: August 23, 2021, 08:08:44 pm »

Here's a blast from the past for ya, Tautech. I curb-scored this in the spring; it got buried in the back of the back shed without even being triaged. So today I'm taking a few hours to check it out; decide if I need to fix it or flip it.

So far things are promising; found the flywheel crusted onto the brake band, and the usual clippings that collect between the gas tank and cylinder/crankcase but little else horrifying. Gas even smells halfway potent, and nothing in the tank but a few blades of pickled grass; I just cleaned the flywheel and brake band with a wire wheel & did the "blow everything out with my hand over the carb" dance, and now hunting a deep-well socket for the spark plug.

mnem
Pray for me out in the "dog days" suck!
OMG why do they even need such things......mowers cut things so keep your furking toes and fingers away !

Yep go a 4hp similar that I need to finish shoehorning a CDI onto......nearly 40 yrs old and was a points model but not done much work so still should have a turn or 2 left in it yet.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98748 on: August 23, 2021, 08:20:04 pm »

It almost always does for their  689 'basic' componenets.   Those are the parts they don't charge extra for.   They charge $3 per component for 'extended' parts.  I find it to be  about the same cost to order 10 boards with assembly as buying the parts and soldering myself.   It depends on the parts.  Some have a minium qty. of more than 10, so you pay for parts that you never see.

What times do we live in ? How do they make MONEY if everything is free or dirt cheap ?!  :-//

So I guess one could get JLC to solder the free/basic stuff, and then you would by and solder yourself only the parts that JLC charges too much money for. Well, assuming JLC gives you the flexibility to cherry pick components ....

Anyway, will definitely look into into more detail for my next project  :-+

There is a $7 SMT assembly set up fee and $1.50 for the stencil, but there is often a special offer or a coupon to reduce or remove that.

They charge $0.0015  per solder connection  -  which is almost nothing.

Basic parts like 0805 resistors,  1N4148s  are a few cents each.  78L05 is a dime and  the basic part Tantalum capacitors are about 20 cents. 

Any time you use an 'extended' part there is a one time $3.00 fee.    You also have to buy a minium quantity of the part because the pick and place machine eats that many even if you only use five.

For this board, it was about the same cost to use the SMT assembly service compared to buying the parts from RS.     I made a couple of design changes to use as many basic parts as possible.    Bottom board is how they came from JLC - Top is a completed one.   It cost about $74 for ten, including the PCB,  20% UK VAT and FedEx IP shipping.     (Would have been $20 less if I had not used FedEx.)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:30:04 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98749 on: August 23, 2021, 08:42:49 pm »
Ok... so I just went looking for a user manual for that RS Pro clamp. They didn't have one, which is annoying, but the meter is a current stock item, and the price is a bit more than the £15.48 (shipped) that I paid...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf