Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35791497 times)

Robert763, Vince and 1024 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131600 on: October 13, 2022, 08:57:09 pm »
Wanna see something funny?

Is that an HPAK E441x power meter?

Yes.

Sorry. I meant *was* this an HPAK E441x.  >:D

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131601 on: October 14, 2022, 02:38:28 am »
The small pin on the 80T-H is just keying. All you do to hold a reading is connect the current terminal to the common terminal.
The 80T-H does work with HP DMMs with data hold. I tried it on a 3435A but the 3466A and 3438A also work from a quick check.
This Fluke TP165x, which is intended for use with a Fluke series of Meggers, seems to be a good candidate for conversion. It would certainly involve heavy modification, but at least the switch circuit seems to be separate and only one of the input jacks is connected. Hmmm..
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5476
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131602 on: October 14, 2022, 05:17:41 am »
Given Schlumberger's line of business, I bet it's some kind of custom DSA specialized for their oil and gas drilling operations.

I am not sure what you are planning on doing with this thing ?! Wanna drill in your backyard hoping to find some crude oil ?!  >:D

Maybe it's got some general purpose enough features in it that you could use. Just leave it on the ground to analyze the earth movements and make it trigger and alarm in your house when it sense an imminent earth quake ?

I don't know.... but I am very intrigued by you purchasing this thing, I must admit...


Google found on ebay an identical looking unit under the name Solartron-Schlumberger rather than plain Schlumberger. Model number is RVC 500 rather than SI1210, so maybe you will have better luck using this model name.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192887623276

Good guess Vince, but wrong. Closer to aviation.
These are used for environmental testing. Specfically vibration. I've come across them when testing aircraft parts. They generate a noise like spectrum of frequencies with cotrolled total amplitude / energy that simulates long duration exposure to vibration. The output is amplified and drives a "shaker" which is like a giant loudspeaker driver. These units take feedback from an accelerometer on the shaker to close the looop and ensure the right levels of vibration.
Very specialised bit of kit. I don't have a manual I'm afraid. Have you tried a websearch?
What are you going to do with it?

This one was specifically used in aviation, as can be seen from the cheat sheet sticker. Also has a big red sticker on the top that says "Portable Appliance Testing Not Required". Hence why I asked Robert...   :-DD

Tried, and failed, my google-fu not up to the task I'm afraid. Likely it will get parted out; a fellow TEA member has expressed an interest in analogue components, and it's packed full of oddball TTL and CMOS ic's. The internal psu's are Farnell bricks, so reusable also. The CRT and its driver boards are also a bought-in third party solution, so might also be reusable. Might be able to turn the case into a camper van...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131603 on: October 14, 2022, 08:51:50 am »

What the hell happened, did they really supply PSUs with the polarity reversed at some point, or is that an after-market replacement?




The original PSU was cooked. Ordered another one. I caught that the pinning was entirely different. I didn't catch that Meanwell and Artesysn can't agree on what side of an identical connector is pin 1
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 08:53:21 am by Ice-Tea »
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131604 on: October 14, 2022, 10:01:30 am »
Well, according to Molex, the original PSU got it wrong..

https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/009652068_sd.pdf
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131605 on: October 14, 2022, 10:52:09 am »
The top one is the replacement. So I guess I need to have a word with Benny Hu.



Also: set the connections straight now. Entirely unrelated question: if a analog comparator in a PS section runs at 150C after a few seconds, is that good or bad? Means it gets power so it's good, right? Right?



 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5476
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131606 on: October 14, 2022, 12:14:09 pm »
The top one is the replacement. So I guess I need to have a word with Benny Hu.



Also: set the connections straight now. Entirely unrelated question: if a analog comparator in a PS section runs at 150C after a few seconds, is that good or bad? Means it gets power so it's good, right? Right?



Benny Hu? Benny Hill?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131607 on: October 14, 2022, 12:41:32 pm »
Pheh. Chinese engineers tend to choose an english name for their communications with westerners. I've worked with Scofield and Bruce Willis in the past. I wouldn't blink if I got a mail from Benny Hill.
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5476
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131608 on: October 14, 2022, 01:41:18 pm »
Pheh. Chinese engineers tend to choose an english name for their communications with westerners. I've worked with Scofield and Bruce Willis in the past. I wouldn't blink if I got a mail from Benny Hill.

Before my line manager was a manager, and still on the tools, we were on a job and off-hiring some access equipment. He signed the ticket as "Eddie Murphy", so I signed mine "Nick Nolte".
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 
The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, Specmaster

Offline SoundTech-LG

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 791
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131609 on: October 14, 2022, 02:17:32 pm »


Tant polarity markings meant to keep you on your toes!



Wanna see something funny?



Yeah, I don't think it's funny either.



What the hell happened, did they really supply PSUs with the polarity reversed at some point, or is that an after-market replacement?

Though seeing those connectors, has reminded I accidentality swapped two identical sized connectors, in an old portable computer at work, after recapping the PSU. Most of the PSU still worked after it was corrected, but the supply for the built in Triniturd monitor never worked again.  :palm: Ended up having to swap PSUs with the second (faulty) computer.

David
 

Online Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131610 on: October 14, 2022, 06:37:37 pm »
Even Molex can't decide on pin numbering. There is at least one series of dual row connectors where one pitch is numbered up-down between rows and one is along first row and back (micro-fit and mini-fit IIRC). One company I worked for used both and it caused no end of trouble with both PCB designers and people making looms.
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131611 on: October 15, 2022, 10:34:52 am »
Scored with adapters this week.

Got two brand new Huber+Suhner N-type male to male adapters for 4000yen
Checked the price on RS Components (part number on the bags is 716-4729), these things cost 6758yen inc. tax.  :o

Not too unhappy with that score. :)

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-adapters/7164729


I also picked up a HP 908A 50ohm N-type terminator and a second N male-to-BNC female adapter for a good price.


Now, I'm just waiting on some sticker paper to arrive for my printer and I'll print new labels for my N-type cal adapters (the new serial number label came out great) and some foam to replace the typically disintegrated foam in the box.
Apparently I can still buy the foam from HP, but not for the $350 they want for it......
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: factory, duckduck

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2798
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131612 on: October 15, 2022, 12:09:05 pm »
A bargain for anyone in Germany if they can get to fleabay in the next 30 Minutes.... https://www.ebay.de/itm/255776001890

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5476
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131613 on: October 15, 2022, 01:31:57 pm »
Was someone on here looking for one of these recently?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155207084765
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131614 on: October 16, 2022, 05:59:33 am »
Finally got my Advantest R6144 DC volt/current generator running after literally years on the shelf...
I had to replace a bunch of missing parts removed by the previous owners repair attempts but it never worked right. So it sat on the shelf with the occasional half-hearted poke every year or so.

A poke here, a bodge wire there, etc etc and now it's alive! :)

BUT, it seems like I'm having an issue when generating less than about 1.6V though... As part of the repair process, I've checked ALL the TTL chips, the range relays, vregs, transistors, etc etc (It was in a pretty sorry state when I got it...) but I am unable to properly test the opamps etc.
I replaced some of them 'just in case' as they were cheap to source locally, and I know the voltage reference is working too as it is rock solid when outputting higher voltages.

The only chip I am suspect of, the only chip I haven't replaced and can't actually test is an OP77GP opamp.


So, anyone got an OP77GP they don't need? :P
Seems the usual suppliers don't have them in DIP8 packages and I'm not keen on risking a blacktopped part from China.
Unfortunately it seems I haven't salvaged one of these yet so I'm coming up dry.


[EDIT] So it seems the OP177 is a higher spec part and I can get it off the shelf in Akihabara. Monday shipping is scheduled! :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 07:30:43 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr

Offline Zoli

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 796
  • Country: ca
  • Grumpy old men
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131615 on: October 16, 2022, 06:18:27 am »
Finally got my Advantest R6144 DC volt/current generator running after literally years on the shelf...
I had to replace a bunch of missing parts removed by the previous owners repair attempts but it never worked right. So it sat on the shelf with the occasional half-hearted poke every year or so.

A poke here, a bodge wire there, etc etc and now it's alive! :)

BUT, it seems like I'm having an issue when generating less than about 1.6V though... As part of the repair process, I've checked ALL the TTL chips, the range relays, vregs, transistors, etc etc (It was in a pretty sorry state when I got it...) but I am unable to properly test the opamps etc.
I replaced some of them 'just in case' as they were cheap to source locally, and I know the voltage reference is working too as it is rock solid when outputting higher voltages.

The only chip I am suspect of, the only chip I haven't replaced and can't actually test is an OP77GP opamp.


So, anyone got an OP77GP they don't need? :P
Seems the usual suppliers don't have them in DIP8 packages and I'm not keen on risking a blacktopped part from China.
Unfortunately it seems I haven't salvaged one of these yet so I'm coming up dry.be damned
Looks like I have something around(pictures to come), but ATM is too late to confirm; Monday I can send it out(Akibara to be damned)..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:21:51 am by Zoli »
 

Offline DC1MC

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1925
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131616 on: October 16, 2022, 07:56:25 am »
A bargain for anyone in Germany if they can get to fleabay in the next 30 Minutes.... https://www.ebay.de/itm/255776001890

McBryce.

Well, the bagain failed to attract any bidders and was relisted here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/255777579769
, on the other side, this badgain looks way better:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/295264886799
; not to mention this badgain:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/115478745596

 >:D,
DC1MC



 

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2798
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131617 on: October 16, 2022, 08:13:05 am »
A bargain for anyone in Germany if they can get to fleabay in the next 30 Minutes.... https://www.ebay.de/itm/255776001890

McBryce.

Well, the bagain failed to attract any bidders and was relisted here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/255777579769
, on the other side, this badgain looks way better:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/295264886799
; not to mention this badgain:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/115478745596

 >:D,
DC1MC

I've been watching the Agilent, but it's a bit of a gamble. Who knows what's actually broken?

As for the Siglent, won't be buying any more Siglent gear again due to the lousy support and lack of updates for my SHS-806.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:14:59 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.
 

Offline Peter_O

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 485
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131618 on: October 16, 2022, 10:27:20 am »
There is one rabbit hole, I always expected and wanted to be sucked into.  :palm:
Which is Tek scopes of course. No way to never having had one on the desk and understanding the technical culture of that time.

So this week the karma got me and offered a 475A in 10 min driving distance.
In the first step I managed to escape after a first dialogue.  :phew:

But then the owner came back with an offer I could not decline.
Thx Michael, in case you're reading this!   :-+

So here it is:
A 475A in very fine cosmetical condition with manual and two 6106 probes for a price that was more kind of a small nominal fee.

The owner could remember his company buing this device and used it for decades on the job and then took it home, if I got it right. So it's kind of first hand, and the owner had a difficult farewell yesterday.



I quickly fixed a loose screw of the handle, which gave the opportunity to take a quick inside picture. Changed the voltage selector to the middle position to adapt for the line voltage increase in 2009 over here.



And here it is, showing first life. HV, CRT and fan seem to be OK. Switches are feeling fine but react kind of erratically. Ich will explore more deeply later.


« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:38:42 am by Peter_O »
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, m k

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31961
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131619 on: October 16, 2022, 10:51:56 am »
My deepest sympathies.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131620 on: October 16, 2022, 12:36:00 pm »
There is one rabbit hole, I always expected and wanted to be sucked into.  :palm:
Which is Tek scopes of course. No way to never having had one on the desk and understanding the technical culture of that time.
...
And here it is, showing first live. HV, CRT and fan seem to be OK. Switches are feeling fine but react kind of erratically. Ich will explore more deeply later.

Switches are a traditional weakness in these scopes, but they can be cleaned.

Only use IPA, not other contact cleaners.

The contacts are naked gold fingers that can be damaged relatively easily. The best technique is to have a strip of (non-abrasive) paper that is slightly wider than the fingers. Soak the paper in IPA, open the relevant contact, insert paper, close contact, pull gently ensuring you don't bend the "fingertips".

The AC/DC/ground switch is near an open slot. If that is the is noisy switch, then I've used a plastic pipette to "wash" IPA onto both sides of the relevant PCBs, and waggled the sqwitches repeatedly.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 
The following users thanked this post: duckduck, Peter_O

Offline Zoli

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 796
  • Country: ca
  • Grumpy old men
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131621 on: October 16, 2022, 04:52:26 pm »
As promised
Unobtanium in the morning light
@TERRA PM if interested, I have 10pcs.
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007, ch_scr, DC1MC, m k, Peter_O

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131622 on: October 17, 2022, 09:53:03 am »
As promised
Unobtanium in the morning light
@TERRA PM if interested, I have 10pcs.

I managed to find a couple Analog Devices OP177 parts on the shelf in Akihabara, so I'll see how they go tonight.
Thanks for the offer though! :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131623 on: October 17, 2022, 09:53:25 am »
What? You never order a fan or two?  :-//

 

Offline capt bullshot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3033
  • Country: de
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #131624 on: October 17, 2022, 11:10:53 am »
What? You never order a fan or two?  :-//


Now you're officially a Fan Boy ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, BU508A, Specmaster, Zoli, m k


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->