-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1634047;image)
Hello people,
So here are a few pics of what I picked last Saturday from my 900kms long trip to Bordeaux.
Some context first. 3 and a half years ago I bought my first Tek type 547 hollow state scope from a chap in Bordeaux.
It was quite a trip but I wanted a 547 so bad that when you see one, you go get it. The cost and physical pain that such a trip meant to me, was mitigated by the fact that by some miracle, at the very same time there was also a type 549 (mostly a 547 but with a storage CRT and lower B/W) by some other chap, also for sale in Bordeaux, go figure. So since I also badly wanted a 549, it made the trip worth the expense and trouble to me.
Anyway, so when I was at the place of the 547 seller, I saw that he had a mega huge house/mansion with two rooms each the size of my house, filled with vintage stuff

I didn't even have time to look at it all, nor was it all easily accessible either. However he guided my "tour" of his place, targeting vintage Tek stuff.
He had a scope cart, a 7000 series scope in bad shape, a time mark generator type 180A, a 545A scope in working order and.... some 500 series plugins.... NICE ones !
I like uncommon plug-ins, special purpose ones, anything out of the ordinary that brings some spice to these old scopes. I mean most of my 500 scopes came with a general purpose, mundane dual channel amplifier, either type CA for the older scopes, or the 1A1/1A2 for the more "modern" ones, so to speak. So when I saw that all the plugins he had were much more exciting and rare than a CA/1A2, I wanted them all ! ... but couldn't afford them, I was totally broke back then. I did stretch my budget by 60 Euros to buy his 545A because it would make the trip even more worthwhile, and it's big so can't be sent by post easily, if at all.
So I told him I would buy him all of his plugins and the 180A time mark generator when my finances would be better.
He was super nice and said yeah don't worry I won't sell any of "your" stuff to anybody, I can wait.
Sadly problems in life just kept piling up, it seemed I was cursed. It's only right now, that I found a new job, and that my house construction problems are slowly improving... that I can now at long last buy his stuff ! I kept e-mailing him once or twice a year to stay in touch and tell him how things were going in my life... and I could finally visit him last week-end to conclude our deal... 3.5 years later !
Can you believe he waited that long just to please me ?! He did. In the meantime he sold 90% of his other stuff of course, but he kept his promise and didn't sell his Tek plugins !
Well... he did sell the time mark generator though... because a guy came and offered to buy a couple palettes worth of TE, if he could take the type 180A....
Plus it's my fault, I told him I wasn't sure about the 180A... saying I liked it, but that I ideally preferred the rack mount version of its little brother... which I never found for sale in the end.
But lucky me as you know, I did eventually find another 180A for sale earlier this year

So, I came to his house, all the plugins were there, was so happy he kept them all for me, a little treasure...
Then he said come have a look at what else is left, I still have some stuff.
I said oh that looks cool... but I have no money with me, I only took XXX Euros that was agreed for the plugins !
So he said : "It's free for you of course ! Just go have a look, just grab whatever TE you fancy and it's yours ! "
I could not take it all, I have a car not a semi truck, so I had to make choices... even then, said choices didn't fit the car, so I had to remove some stuff from the boot and make a second pass at filtering what I would take home with me. It felt like having to chose between losing my left or right arm

Then once the car was full and it was almost dark, he said : "hey, forgot, fancy some old electronics magazines ?! "
I said sure, would love to !
Then he took me to a shed hidden between some trees in his gigantic 15,000m2 yard, and hey presto.... A TON of old magazines ! An entire shelving unit packed full of magazines from top to bottom, left to right. enough for it to fill the car in its own right

It was dark and I had to leave, so no time to take it all out to see what's what and see what I may want to pick, so instead I just grabbed a few piles at random and tried to shove that in what rares interstices were left in the boot !

No, all these magazines are still in good shape somehow, no mold no mushrooms no nothing.... the climate is clement in Bordeaux.
So, below are a few pics of what I brought with me.
Sorry for the crappy pictures, but at least it gives you an idea. I will take better pics of the stuff, and mini tear-downs, if you are interested in a particular piece, or in the coming months as I take some of this to the bench to clean them up and test them out.
Here is the list :
Firsts pic, stacked in the wooden shelving unit :
- A few hundreds old electronics magazines, no idea what I have in there exactly for now.
- A little Férisol NA 300A RF mW meter. Not my thing, but many people like this type of TE so since it's small and very light, I thought it could be economical to ship to someone here on TEA. Free to a good home. I guess I can try to tear it down and give it a quick test ride to see if it works.
- A un-indentified blackbox, literally. Took it purely for parts as it looks like some kind of power supply. Two big heat sinks, TO3 power trannies, a bunch of stud diodes, some power WW resistors, at the least, from what I can see from the outside
- A rack mount Philips PM 2440 volt meter, low frequency one I guess (inputs via 4mm jacks). He had 3 of them, had only space for one. I like the design/style of this generation of Philips products, so it was an opportunity to have one finally. I love the large and wide meter scale, and it's like new, and has a mirror. It's a useful bit of kit as well : it's VTVM, high impedance : 100Meg in DC and 10Meg in AC mode. Wide dynamic range as well. I like it very much, think I will soon put it on the bench and restore it, definitely can be put to use for general work. It features a "recorder" output, but I don't quite understand what it means in the context of an analog meter.... will need to read the manual, hoping it is actually available that is !
- A rack mount RF VTVM, model 320A made in the USA by " Ballantine Laboratories", maybe our friends from the US know about them ??

I am not into RF VTVM usually, don't need them, but this one looked cool to me in rack mount form, looked good quality overall so... I thought well, OK, why not get at least one of this type of TE, maybe one day I will need it and be glad to have one around. There were two of them, so again had to chose which to take home with me. They had a different paint colour. One was dark grey, the one I picked, and the other one was the more usual light grey. So I went for dark grey, because I prefer dark... Again nice large meter with a like new scale, also featuring a mirror.
- Now for all the Tek plugins, 9 of them :
- Type 81A "adapter" plugin. Rare sight. It's meant to sit inside a type 585 scope (which I have one of). The 585 cannot use the regular 500 plugins because the input impedance of its signal lines is different. So this adapter plugin does the impedance matching and let's you use the vast array of plugins that were made for the 500 scopes. There were next to zero plugins made for the 585 specifically, only a general purpose 2 channel amp... hence the need for this adapter.
- x2 type 'D' : High-gain diff amp, so that I can probe modern switch mode power supplies when fixing them.
- x2 type 'W' comparators
- x2 type 'L' Fast rise pre-amp
- x1 type 'R' uber cool : special plugin to test transistors and diodes ! Complete with its little test fixture and coax cable.

- x1 type 1L20. THE ONE I absolutely wanted, ultra mega rare impossible to find here. Spectrum analyzer plugin, up to 4+ GHz. I can't afford a modern SA so this is probably the only SA I will ever have in my lab.
All these plug-ins are not rotten ! Like new inside, zero corrosion or mold. The 1L20 does work.... he demonstrated it to me briefly 3+ years ago when I first visited him, plugged into his 545A scope.
So this is in my living room for now....now let's see the next pics, what I piled up in my bedroom :
- Tek 7504 in poor shape, for parts.
- A strange thing, in green colour : " KAY 5070B Rada-Pulser Sr. Pulsed Carrier Generator "
Don't think I will ever use this thing whatever it is... but looked good enough that I wanted to save it, in case someone here might want to give it a good home.
- Singer Gertch 4BR : Phase angle Voltmeter. Looks cool, but it comes with a plugin which basically is a 2,400Hz band pass filter. So quite a narrow use case....

- Férisol P201A : 25MHz pulse generator. It's the BOAT ANCHOR in the lower left corner on the floor... it weighs A TON !! I mean you have to trust me... I am used to handling my 30kg 500 Tek scopes, and this Férisol pulse gen is WAY heavier !

I can move it around on short distances.. barely !
I really didn't have the heart to abandon it, because it's a good brand, is general purpose enough to actually serve a useful purpose, and is like new inside out ( we did crack it open, it's very easy to do, just 4 big thumbscrews at the back). This one for sure I will try to get working.
- A couple of old HP 416B meters. I am not into radio stuff, but I think it must be some kind of " SWR " meter. I will most likely never use it, but some of you might. Regardless, I like this style/generation of HP stuff, they look really nice to me, and these two units are brand new up close, museum pieces. So there was no way I would have left them behind (he is getting old and said whatever I don't take with me, will most likely soon be scrapped).
So in this case, I took not one, but the two of them. The are just too nice and valuable (historically I mean... no idea about money). Taking one and leaving one behind to be scrapped.... was just totally unacceptable to me.
So that's it !
Oh wait you say.... on the pics we see something you didn't list ! What about this 502A Tek scope at the top left of the pile ?!
Yes.... talk about destiny.
Remember last december, almost a year ago then, I bought a 502A from a guy who had two of them. He sold me the one in best condition, and I am now trying to fix it. The other one he had, I tried to buy it for parts, but he said someone was already in touch with him about it... some guy who designs and sells tube audio amps, that said he wanted to rip the transformer from the scope to make his audio amp around !

Broke my heart.
Well believe it or not.... just TWO DAYS before my planned trip to Bordeaux, guess what popped up on Leboncoin.fr ? Yes, that chap relisted his second 502A ! My point being... this guy lives far away, I would never have made the trip for a parts unit in rough shape... but, he lives in a village that's spot on on my way to Bordeaux, half way ! All I had to do is leave the motorway half way, drive only 10+ kms off course to reach that seller, and back onto the motorway heading to Bordeaux ! So getting that 502A cost me nothing trip wise !

So I have now THREE 502A !!!

That's all....